4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need HELP QUICK!!! shipping question...easy but not easy :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Sports Button FTW

Need HELP QUICK!!! shipping question...easy but not easy :)

trying to ship trans to california and dude said they can't take it cause its too shaky in box...this is a 140 pound object which will not be held down by no styraphone (sp?)....what should i use to keep it at bay in the box? any ideas on what to put in box to keep it in on spot?
Old 06-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fome (spelling sucks )

-matt
Old 06-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by matty
Fome (spelling sucks )

-matt
u think styrafome will do the trick? or u just saying i spelled it wrong

u talking about that white big piece that they have in t.v. boxes to keep them at bay right?
Old 06-20-2002, 01:00 PM

Styrafone wont work...TV stuff might...check your mail bro

-matt
Old 06-20-2002, 01:02 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by matty
Styrafone wont work...TV stuff might...check your mail bro

-matt
dam, aol is acting up....with mail atleast...going through it wit aol.com....i'll check fs: forum...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:14 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by meccanoble

dam, aol is acting up....with mail atleast...going through it wit aol.com....i'll check fs: forum...
no way foam will do anything, ur best bet is to wrap it in that thin sheet foam and then bubble wrap and tape it. To protect it you can't do much besides get a big box with lots of bubbl wrap, but to just get it there inside the box, this will work.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by seximagtr

no way foam will do anything, ur best bet is to wrap it in that thin sheet foam and then bubble wrap and tape it. To protect it you can't do much besides get a big box with lots of bubbl wrap, but to just get it there inside the box, this will work.
lots of heavy duty bubble wrap? gotcha...i was about to get those thick foams used to keep t.v.'s at bay from post office but if u don't think that will hold, i'll get bubble wrap, the big bubbled types....i don't see that working either but seems to be my best choise now....

i will look at more opinions as well, i have till 8:30 to actually go out and buy the bubble wrap (post office closed now) and the guy won't come back till tomorrow so time is on my hand...

any other comments?
Old 06-20-2002, 03:48 PM

This may sound like a PITA but it will work.

1) Find or buy the heaviest duty cardboard box the tranny will fit into with about 4" or 5" clearance on all sides.
2) Line the box with plastic being sure it is completely lined. A large trash bag will probably work.
3) Place some wood spacers in the bottom of the box to keep the tranny about 3" off the bottom.
4) TOTALLY wrap the tranny with plastic (shrink wrap works great but so will Saran Wrap). Put the wrapped tranny in another trash bag and place it in the box with equal clearance on all sides.
5) Go to Home Depot and buy some cans of the expanding foam that comes in a can. You will need quite a few of them so you might want to get a case of six.
6) Starting under the tranny begin to fill the box with the foam stopping about halfway full. Get another trashbag and open it with the bottom of the bag on top of the tranny and fill it with foam to just over the the top of the box. Fold the rest of the unfilled bags in on top of the foam and close the box.

Like I said, it sounds like a pain in the A$$ but it works great. The foam will cost you a few bucks but this should not take more than a few minutes to do. After that foam cures it gets pretty hard and will not allow the tranny to shift inside the box. We all know how well the shippers handle things (yeah, right) so I would do my best to protect the investment of the person you are shipping to.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All I know is that TV's nowadays are extremely heavy and very unwieldy as well, yet they get shipped all the time. My recently acquired 32" WEGA was around 160lbs. The foam in there is really heavy duty. Likewise, the box is very sturdy. Unfortunately, the foam is custom fit for the TV. You might be able to fashion your own if you had enough of the foam stuff and got a box for a TV or computer monitor.