4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Coolant flush

I am planning on flushing my coolant sometime tomorrow. Is there anything I should watch out for when flushing my coolant?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 PM

if you have access to pressurized fresh water, remove the heater core lines from the firewall and blast out the heater core with water to clear out gunk. otherwise just consider replacing the rad cap and thermostat at the same time
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM

-Buy Nissan coolant
-Mix appropriate ratio with distilled water
-Remove driver side splash shield for easier/cleaner drain
-Open the drain **** with car on level ground
-Drain all coolant from rad into a container
-Remove reservoir and drain coolant
-Replace upper and lower rad hoses and clamps if old (cover alternator if changing lower hose)
-Replace thermostat and gasket if signs of significant leakage are present or functional issues with heating
-Re-install reservoir and drain ****
-Refill coolant in reservoir and in rad slowly until fluid level is at the neck of the rad filler (see FSM for more info.)
-Start car, turn on full heat / full fan speed and idle car on incline until the thermostat opens and no more bubbles are present in the rad filler
-Replace rad cap, go for a drive and test the heater to ensure hot air is coming out (if not, air may still be present in the system so repeat the step above)
-Properly dispose container of used coolant
-Repeat drain and refill in a year or so to flush out most of the old coolant that remained in the block which mixed in with the new coolant
-Examine water pump weep hole for any signs of leakage
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Okay so I flushed the rad, and filled it up, but how far do I fill it up to? The neck? Also after draining it out only 3 1/2 liters went into the rad. What about the other 2 ?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM

You need to elevate the front end and rune the engine to burp out air and top it up. If not, you will start overheating from air pockets. I use ramps.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:05 PM

Just started the car and the air doesn't blow on 2 3 or 4...

Edit : nvm I forgot that 1 and 2 are switched on my fan I assumed 3 and 4 didn't work but they do.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 05-09-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
You need to elevate the front end and rune the engine to burp out air and top it up. If not, you will start overheating from air pockets. I use ramps.
I just ran it in my inclined driveway, should be the same but I notice a little bit of smoke but this may also have been steam evaporating off the engine due to some water spraying because of the hose lol oops
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Add in waterpump lube: Wet Wetter, Purple Ice, Prestones Anti-rust additive....
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nissan doesn't make antifreeze/coolant, they build cars.
The only liquid that should be in your cooling system is the appropriate coolant/antifreeze mix.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Okay so I flushed the rad, and filled it up, but how far do I fill it up to? The neck? Also after draining it out only 3 1/2 liters went into the rad. What about the other 2 ?
fill up the rad, let the car run at around 2500rpm with the rad cap off until the thermostat opens and the fans come on. coolant level in the rad should go down at that point. top off the rad, fill up the coolant reservoir, put the rad cap on, done

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Nissan doesn't make antifreeze/coolant, they build cars.
every manufacturer has their own coolant, trans fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil, etc. Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Ford, GM, etc etc.

if Nissan builds cars and doesnt make fluid, why can you only use Nissan CVT trans fluid in 7th gens?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ThaMax
-When the engine is cold, open the drain **** with car on level ground. Opening the drain screw while the engine is warm runs the risk of stripping the plastic drain screw, not to mention soaking you with hot fluid......
I would add those instructions^^ to an otherwise excellent coolant flush how-to.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by chrome91

if Nissan builds cars and doesnt make fluid, why can you only use Nissan CVT trans fluid in 7th gens?
Nissan doesn't make transmission fluid or engine oil either. They don't make windshield washer fluid, brake fluid or grease. They don't make glass or gas.

Nissan builds cars.

You can only use a specific fluid in the 7th gen CVT transmission because of the materials inside the transmission.

Nissan doesn't make the resin for the door panels but they do make the panels.

Nissan doesn't make the various electronic sensors in the car, they do build the wiring harness that makes them function.

Nissan doesn't make leather but they do make the leather fit nicely onto the seats they build.

Nissan doesn't make tires but more then likely cast the wheels their mounted on.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 AM

Nissan only puts there name on a coolant made by a chemical company.

Zerex asian, or GO5 coolant is good in our cars. Don't get duped by the stealership propaganda.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use Green coolant only that is low in silicates. Japanese coolant, Nissan or Toyota (the purple stuff), are naturally low in silicates.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM

I mix Zerex G-05 (light green) low-silicate, low-pH and phosphate-free formula with distilled water to reduce the risk of plain tap water bringing in some cooling system deposits or significantly changing the coolant pH.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coolant Drain Plug head is striped

Hey guys I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE and bought the car 3 years ago. I realized the coolant isn't green anymore and was going to replace it. I found out that the coolant drain plug head is striped and can't be opened. Is there way to open it bc I don't want to change it using the radiator hose.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by jaypatel619
Hey guys I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE and bought the car 3 years ago. I realized the coolant isn't green anymore and was going to replace it. I found out that the coolant drain plug head is striped and can't be opened. Is there way to open it bc I don't want to change it using the radiator hose.
First of all, you have a 5th generation Maxima. You posted your question in the 4th generation section.
our cars range from 1995 to 1999.

The instruction's would be similar.

The drain plugs in the 4th Gen are difficult to remove, so we don't use them.

There should be a drain plug in the radiator.
.I raise the front of the car about a foot. Either on ramps, or on jack stands. I have a garden hose ready. I loosen the radiator plug, then let it drain.
then I fill the radiator. Leave the cap off. Run the car till till you can see the temp guage rise. The water we just added will mix with the rest of what's still in there. Repeat at least twice more. You are gradually dilluting what was originally in there.

Buy Asian car antifreeze. Buy more than the car requires. Use only Full Strength anti freeze. NOT premix. This is because there is a lot of plain water in the engine now We are going to dillute the water with straight antifreeze. Again, run the car till temp rises some. We want the thermostat to open. The straight anti freeze will mix with the water. But the concentration will still be too weak. So drain the radiator yet again. Add more straight antifreeze.
Now run the car to full temp. Let it cool back down. Test the concentration of the anitfreeze mix . Use a tester.

If you are satisfied with the concentration of the mixture , you will need to let the air bleed from the system. Failure to do so means that the car will overheat.

So leave the front on the car in the raised position. Run the engine around 20 min with the radiator cap off. Blip the throttle from time to time.
​​​