5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's up with my clutch Throw?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

What's up with my clutch Throw?????

Me and Ethan(emax95) met up a few days ago and exchanged headlights and hung out for a while and raced. We each drove each other's car just to see, speed difference was tough to tell since we are both very close. BUT.... what we both noticed is that there is something up with my clutch throw, it's pretty stiff to push down, and it's rubbery. his is so easy and silky smooth and mine is harder to push down, feels rubbery and doesn't spring back quiet as fast as his. the clutch still grabs fine and i'm not sure when it started, it might have came like that and i just didn't notice since this was my first stick. But after driving his and feeling how much better his it's ridiculous, i want to know why mine is so much different. please help me.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:31 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

are both of you using oem tranny fluid? Someone here on the org bought some different tranny fluid and noticed a big difference on shifting. I'm thinking about changing it out since it does seem harder to shift even when it's cold.

Dave
Old 08-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximadave
are both of you using oem tranny fluid? Someone here on the org bought some different tranny fluid and noticed a big difference on shifting. I'm thinking about changing it out since it does seem harder to shift even when it's cold.

Dave
We both have redline MT-90
Old 08-25-2002, 04:49 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I will get redline MT-90 soon....
Old 08-25-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by maximadave

Dave
Ok guys. What's up with this redline stuff in our maximas. well everyone is looking for smoother shifts these days. My original tranny fluid was put in to last a very long time. Nissan did not say when i should change it. Adding aftermarket fluid ?????WHY????? . My shifter is the easiest and most smoothest i ever shifted and why would anyone want a smoother shift than that??? the 2002's has the cable operated shifter, which will not shift smoother than mine. i say if it don't break, leave hmm alone...GOOD LUCK ...when the place is cold it does not makes a difference, as long as the fluid reaches a certain temp. it shifts better , winter or summer....
Old 08-25-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

Ok guys. What's up with this redline stuff in our maximas. well everyone is looking for smoother shifts these days. My original tranny fluid was put in to last a very long time. Nissan did not say when i should change it. Adding aftermarket fluid ?????WHY????? . My shifter is the easiest and most smoothest i ever shifted and why would anyone want a smoother shift than that???
The easiest and smoothest shifter? I guess you've never driven a stick Honda, BMW or VW/Audi.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

The easiest and smoothest shifter? I guess you've never driven a stick Honda, BMW or VW/Audi.
sure i did. the Honda is smoother .. i know what i drove the VW and Audi ...hmm not better than my stock shifter...also keep in mind we are talking about 4 door sport sedans , not racing sports cars..

Old 08-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

Ok guys. What's up with this redline stuff in our maximas. well everyone is looking for smoother shifts these days. My original tranny fluid was put in to last a very long time. Nissan did not say when i should change it. Adding aftermarket fluid ?????WHY????? . My shifter is the easiest and most smoothest i ever shifted and why would anyone want a smoother shift than that??? the 2002's has the cable operated shifter, which will not shift smoother than mine. i say if it don't break, leave hmm alone...GOOD LUCK ...when the place is cold it does not makes a difference, as long as the fluid reaches a certain temp. it shifts better , winter or summer....

The feel of the shifter can and will be improved with the use of redline fluid. Also synthetic oil has been proven to have a higher tolerance for heat then the stock oil. Heat is the #1 killer of trannys, a fluid like redline which can handle more heat will help preserve your trasmission and clutch. Theres lot's of things nisan gave us when we bought the car and a whole lot of them can be replaced with better items.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

How about on auto's..any tips !
Old 08-26-2002, 08:17 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

so no one has any ideas on why the throw is different, our shifters feel about the same but ti's the clutch throw.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:24 AM

it could be plenty of things steve. If worst comes to worst I say try to take to dealer and describe problem. maybe youll get lucky
Old 08-26-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
so no one has any ideas on why the throw is different, our shifters feel about the same but ti's the clutch throw.
When I got my max (an 01 btw) the clutch was fairly stiff. I thought it was due to the fact it was new. However, 4500 miles later, the clutch died. What the dealer found was that the master cylinder was to tight and was not releasing properly when the clutch was engaged and thus my clutch started to slip until it was totally gone. When they installed a new clutch, I found the clutch throw to be noticeably smoother and lighter. So just to be on the safe side I'd have it checked.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by emax95

The feel of the shifter can and will be improved with the use of redline fluid. Also synthetic oil has been proven to have a higher tolerance for heat then the stock oil. Heat is the #1 killer of trannys, a fluid like redline which can handle more heat will help preserve your trasmission and clutch. Theres lot's of things nisan gave us when we bought the car and a whole lot of them can be replaced with better items.

you got a good point here, but nothing is wrong with the stock fluid. i know maximas that has 250,000 + miles and the original 5 speed tranny fluid is still in it until today and the tranny still works...