Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   TCM replacement on the way..... (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/1119-tcm-replacement-way.html)

jnm2kse 09-07-2000 12:28 PM

Just got off the phone with my dealer's Service Manager. He took my car out for a ride this afternoon and agreed that he felt something, not quite sure it was slippage but did say the shift felt a little mushy.

After talking with the Nissan Service Rep he got the ok to order a replacement TCM for me. I guess being persistent paid off.....

I wasn't looking for a handout or anything for free...I knew that my 1st to 2nd shift was exhibiting some of the symptoms that the TSB pointed out and I was determined to get it corrected. (As it should be)

The best part of the deal is that he asked if they could keep the car overnight as he has the part coming in tomorrow morning. I thought I'd need to wait another couple of weeks....so ...bonus there.

Ok sorry to clog up the board with my rants the past couple of weeks... :)

TimW 09-07-2000 12:34 PM

mine was in within a day as well.. quick deal.

trust me, you'll feel like a big dork on the way home... it'll feel about the same. the consolation is that it'll still feel that way for 100K more miles (ie. live longer)

:)

Y2KevSE 09-07-2000 12:50 PM

Want a solution? 2 words... valvebody recalibration. :D

TimW 09-07-2000 01:47 PM

I cant imagine what it would be like

to get warranty work after having that VB mod. and I cant imagine what a new tranny would cost. While they may never know, I bet you they could blame your dome light going out on the VB mod. Its hard enough getting service already :)

punkdork 09-07-2000 02:02 PM

Re: mine was in within a day as well.. quick deal.

Originally posted by TimW
trust me, you'll feel like a big dork on the way home... it'll feel about the same. the consolation is that it'll still feel that way for 100K more miles (ie. live longer)

:)

Tim, when was your Max manufactured?

Y2KevSE 09-07-2000 02:27 PM

Re: I cant imagine what it would be like

Originally posted by TimW
to get warranty work after having that VB mod. and I cant imagine what a new tranny would cost. While they may never know, I bet you they could blame your dome light going out on the VB mod. Its hard enough getting service already :)
Well, guess what Tim? They blamed my slippage on the intake!!! ROTFL!!! Man... can't believe what they would say just to get out of doing warranty work!

I had the vb done before the tcm swap... :D Had to battle for 2 months but hey, well worth it! :goofy:

TimW 09-07-2000 02:35 PM

I dont doubt that crazy stuff...

I'm sure your rotors were warped by disturbed airflow over your aftermarket antenna...

PD, my max is a 5/99 build.

Y2KevSE 09-07-2000 04:07 PM

Nah... it's the shifter Tim. ;)

Can anyone share some crazy dealer stories too? I'd like to hear what they said to get out of warranty service.

radpp16 09-07-2000 04:38 PM

Good Cars, Terrible Service

Well today, bright and early, 7am i took my vehicle to the Nissan dealer service place. My complaint was shifts from 1st to 2nd frequently when i floor it or just pump it real quick.

I begged one of the technicians to let me be there when he test drove the car, he said no "people can't be in here when the vehicles are being checked out" I told him at other dealers the owners get drive with the tech to see the prob. Well then i told him and wrote it down, just go like 10-15 and then floor, or just cruise and then half floor it and your going to feel the longest shift from 1st to 2d youve ever felt, and sometimes the car hops.

10hours later they called and they said the car was perfect and even though it was manufactured in december 1999 it doesn't need the new TCM.

Now how much bull**** is this, Why? wont they do what they gotta do.

I figure they don't want to waste their time since it is a Nissan - Mazda - VW dealer all in one. I got a couple of other places. I am just so pissed off that in 10 hours they couldnt do jack ****, at least a complimentary oil change would have been nice
Roger

Y2KevSE 09-07-2000 05:43 PM

Suggestion... go to another dealer. Your should've at least had the opportunity to sit in the car while they test drove it. Doesn't seem like they care about their customers, so imho, move on.

[Edited by Y2KevSE on 09-07-2000 at 07:57 PM]

jnm2kse 09-07-2000 05:50 PM

Kev is right...

Move on.....for all the crabbing I did about my dealer, they never once said that I could not test drive with them...in fact they insisted that I go with them and that I do the driving while we tried to recreate the problem.

I didn't even have a tech go with me this morning...the Service manager went with me!

The part isn't in the car yet so I don't want to be too happy yet but at least it is on the way :festive:

Wustylez 09-07-2000 11:59 PM

Bad Service!!!

You are talking about bad service..i had my dealer lied in front of my face saying that my car had updated TCM..and later i found out at another dealer that Mine has the old one..guess what..i was pissed and called back to the previous dealer and had service manager on the phone, told him everything and he said he would order the updated TCM for me to EXPERIMENT (WTF)..i dont' get it what he meant by using my car as an experiment..anyway..i was happy that day that finally i can get my TCM replaced, even though I can't really tell whether my car has tran slippage or not..but i hate nissan dealer...

They over-filled the engine oil when doing oil change..damn i am gonna do my own oil change from now on..

So, Kevin how did you tell your dealer about the bull****s they said about your intake messing up the Tranny?????
I know they have to prove it rite????

mingo 09-08-2000 02:32 AM

i want my freagin TCMMMMM

still no update from my dealership yet. but i guess they're working on it. they said they'll email me.. i'm just happy that they are actually lagging purposely on my car so i have somewhere to put the car until i get back.. a lil over a month..

SaVas 09-08-2000 03:32 AM

A few questions...

My car was a 10/99 build, automatic GXE. I for one have not noticed anything odd about its shift pattern from 1st to 2nd, or any other gear for that matter. What is the roundabout mileage when you all had the symptoms? If I have to floor it, my car has plenty of get up and go.
Only problem I have is the Service Engine Soon light on the dash, and yesterday I was unable to have it looked at. My father also has a 2K Maxima, built in 99, and he has over 27K miles on his with no problem. Am I missing something? Just lucky? Or should I anticipate the TCM probs?

Thanks in advance

jnm2kse 09-08-2000 04:34 AM

Savas...

My car is a 4/00 build and what I was noticing was every now and then when my tranny went from 1st to 2nd, it would sort of waaah into 2nd rather than be a felt shift, more like a roll. It didn't do this all the time which makes it so ^&^%$ hard to recreate for dealer. A slight rpm jump with no additional power would accompany this action also.

I've had the car for 2 months and only have a little over 2000 mile on it but it has had it's share of problems...rattles galore, squeaky engine mounts(believe me they made noise) and then TCM isssue.

Like I said, it was very selective whenever it decided to pop up...I noticed it usually under heavier than normal acceleration....not flooring it but if I got it to downshift into first it would really wind up to second and that waaaah, roll into second with the associated rpm jump.

My new TCM is being installed this morning so I will post any differences that I notice.

SaVas 09-08-2000 10:20 AM

jnm2kse,

My car is as tight as a tick in a bush. No rattles, nothing. From 1st to 2nd, my car doesn't lightly clunk into 2nd gear, but kind of just goes into it. I have no whrrr, nothing. Tranny feels tight but I am starting to experience a bit of wheel shake when braking. I think its the Toyo tires.

On a side note about the Service Engine Soon light. I have been smelling a bit of exhaust while I drive-could be the drivers in front of me, since the windows are down when I drive, but it seems like there is a mild leak into the cabin from below. Could it be attributed to the Service light coming on? Anyone-ideas?

Thanks in Advance