Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Auto Tranny is GONE! GONE!GONE! (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/115173-auto-tranny-gone-gone-gone.html)

NyMaxedOut 10-01-2002 04:15 PM

Auto Tranny is GONE! GONE!GONE!

2000 SE Auto -->Tranny gone at 48.5K :bawling: ..What the heck? Went to the dealer today and they confirmed the tranny is gone. Powertrain warranty covers but not sure if they'll rebuilt or try to get me a swap.

Story
==============
Well, to keep this short. I pulled out of the driveway last sunday on the way to work. no problem.. on the highway-i was bordered by the molasses in a camry and a buick and my lane was becoming a turn-only so I made a sprint for it. I felt a slight jerk from the tranny even though I didnt manually shift. Next thing I know car begans to feel as the e-brake was on. No power but I dealt with it since I was running late anyway. Got the garage but had pulled back to let a car out. Shift the whip to "R" and the car just sat there. Well, to make a long story short.. the whip is now at the dealer and he told me he would try for friday.
+++++++
Now the worst part. I just got informed all my AE parts have been shipped from Tustin.

Oh well..
and .. oh yes... I did have the slipping but didnt have it taken care of.. :mad:

Y2KevSE 10-01-2002 04:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the tranny. I have an extra auto tranny if Nissan decides to not cover yours under warranty.

NyMaxedOut 10-01-2002 04:50 PM

Kev, man you guys are the best. What can I say? Dealer said they would actually replace* the tranny & the service dept gave me no hassle at all. I mean I did tell them the car wouldnt go in reverse and he told to wheel it in.. well, they had to push it back out! Anwyay, while there I noticed 2 2k2's w/HIDs gone. Checked out the 350Z Track Ed..too much plastic but still nice. Now, I am whipping my in-law's 90 Access.

AznWontonboy 10-01-2002 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Sorry to hear about the tranny. I have an extra auto tranny if Nissan decides to not cover yours under warranty.
:eek: Mr. Nice guy:)

MaxAtack 10-01-2002 05:24 PM

Dude, sorry to hear about that. I'm not quite sure what the maintenence intervals are for the 5th Gen Auto Max's, but have you ever taken your max in for a tranny tune-up, to change the fluids, etc? When I had my 93 T-bird, I took it in every 18 months or so for the maintenence and never had any problems. And that was a ford!

But I guess if you ignore the tranny slippage, it'll come back to haunt you. :ghost:

Maximam 10-01-2002 05:28 PM

I lost a tranny at 35k then another at 45k and now hate my current tranny at 57k. I argued a 100k mile Silver warranty out of Nissan for this. I have since stopped manually shifting my tranny like I did every now and then. The pressure I am sure is low on the current tranny as 1st to second slips and reverse slips when cold.

Welcome to the tranny club......are you in the paint club yet?:laugh:

[maxi-overdose] 10-01-2002 05:45 PM

NyMaxedout: have u had any tranny service before it went byebye? if u did, hope u still have the receipt with u and if Nissan asked you anything about preventive maintenance......show them the receipt.

just wondering, how's ur trannt fluid condition before it was about to go out? is it dark and smelled burnt?

thx

TimW 10-01-2002 05:52 PM

moral of the story: Don't get the TSB and solenoids done, tranny dies. New fluid will only delay it..

[maxi-overdose] 10-01-2002 06:17 PM

Originally posted by TimW
moral of the story: Don't get the TSB and solenoids done, tranny dies. New fluid will only delay it..
but some 2k/2k1 do not show the symptoms....Nissan wont fix it unless it shifts funny. :(

mine doesnt show any symptoms....but I still have the TCM and solenoid replaced....just in case.

NyMaxedOut 10-01-2002 06:35 PM

to VQPower: I had the tranny tuned at 35k (changed fluid/gaskets etc..) and after that its been fine. I actually replaced reg fluid with synthetic.
Maximam: Now you got me concerned. Cannot imagined losing another tranny at another 10k. And yes, I am a member of the paint club. Every time I see that nex max commercial going in the desert I asked myself... man, was that it all this time?
Maxi: So far they asked me for nothing. The dealer seems completely non-chalant about it. I guessed since my in laws bought '00 Path and a '94 Altime (new) they wont give me too much hassles.
TImW: I didnt get the TSB's done.
++++++++
Did I mention my rotors are shot? Those things come to a literaly grinding halt. Shoot! I belong to 3 clubs now.
And TimW.. I have been on this board since 5/02. Am I still a newbie?:bawling:

NyMaxedOut 10-03-2002 04:01 PM

Dealer left me a message today saying the work is done and car is ready for pick up. I called him and he said he "replace" the transmission. I forgot to ask if with a new one or refurb? Guess, I'll find out tomorrow (friday). Wish me luck on the test track (aka I-95)

deadrx7conv 10-03-2002 05:01 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
Dealer left me a message today saying the work is done and car is ready for pick up. I called him and he said he "replace" the transmission. I forgot to ask if with a new one or refurb? Guess, I'll find out tomorrow (friday). Wish me luck on the test track (aka I-95)
Refurb is better than new. Refurb will have updates that were detected during the '1st product failures'.
New trans are usually only available in low numbers until a quantity of failed trans cores are available for rebuild.

Don't abuse a 'new tranny'. It will shorten its life considerably.
You need to break in the tranny with several hundred miles of gentle driving. If it feels perfect(after about 500miles of driving), then you can beat on it. If it feels perfect and if you want it to last longer, switch to synthetic ATF and install a tranny cooler.
Then, you can beat on it until the warranty expires:D
Also, fresh cheapo(Nissan) ATF will evaporate a little. Check your ATF several times over the next couple of weeks. And, to be safe, I would check it at the dealership after a short test ride. Yep, take a test ride for a couple of miles before going home. Make sure there are no clunks/clicks/noises/looseness etc and that the fluid is topped off.

jbgoodmax 10-03-2002 06:13 PM

I'm scared now

I have no slippage or anything, but it shifts hard when I'm hitting it hard, like my old (was my wifes) 96 GLE, and smooth during normal driving. I believe this is a good thing.

I have just started manuelly shifting it from 1 - 2 - 3.

:(

Regime 10-03-2002 07:10 PM

If you have an AE then your tranny will be a new one ...not a rebuild. The AE trannies are not avalible rebuilt yet, I got my tranny replaced about a month ago and had to wait for a week for it to be shipped (by train) from JacksonVille FL to CA which sucked. It was firm for the first 500-1000 miles, but now at about 1500 miles I can feel it going back to the old slipping sensation my old tranny had until it finally gave out completely. :mad:
I talked to the service manager about what happens next time (this was my 4th visit I had had my tranny serviced) He said Niisan might Authorize a 5sp :) swap because of the cost of continually replacing the auto. I guess I'll see if I can squeeze that out of NA Nissan :rolleyes:

Good luck on your tranny though.

AE Majestic Blu 10-03-2002 07:29 PM

Yup so im 2k miles into my 3rd Tranny WooHoo I already feel that crap already though. Man cant wait till march! 330ci or X5!

NyMaxedOut 10-03-2002 07:53 PM

Woh..HOh...3rd tranny, AE tranny gone.. man, i am even scared to go take it back from the dealer. Regime, go ahead and try to squeeze that 5spd I know I am not getting one. Will test it out tomorrow and let all of you know. By the way - I am adding those AE add-ons that came this week from Tustin too.

NyMaxedOut 10-07-2002 03:11 PM

Alright peoples! Picked the car over the week end and drove it for 175 miles all week end. Shifting feels a lil bit funny but no slippage. Driving it feels weird though like the car is not balance properly. Almost as if I have over inflated tires. I checked them and they were all at 33psi. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow just to give them an update.

[maxi-overdose] 10-07-2002 03:23 PM

Alright peoples! Picked the car over the week end and drove it for 175 miles all week end. Shifting feels a lil bit funny but no slippage. Driving it feels weird though like the car is not balance properly. Almost as if I have over inflated tires. I checked them and they were all at 33psi. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow just to give them an update.
prob. u r used to the old tranny or the new tranny needs sometime to be broken-in. give it 2000 miles and then floor it to see if the slipping problem still exists.

btw, if they rebuilt, they might use the same solenoid for the new tranny. and I doubt they updated ur TCM too...

NyMaxedOut 10-07-2002 05:59 PM

Alright. Gonna give it some time. New problem though is sometimes when the car is in "P"ark..I still have to jerk the gear to either take the key out when I am leaving it OR sometimes to start it. Weird!

Cavez 10-07-2002 08:22 PM

I have a 2k maxima and I've always been told that these cars are very reliable. That's why i bought mine. Is it pretty for sure that my tranny will go? I drive it moderately with a few quick starts every now and then. So far I have been very very impressed with it, but I need someone to tell me what kind of things are going to go wrong with it. I was under the impression nothing would go wrong with it. Oh and can someone tell me what kind of 1/4 it runs and 0-60. Its a 00 SE Auto with 30K. Thanks!

2K2SE 10-08-2002 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Cavez
I have a 2k maxima and I've always been told that these cars are very reliable. That's why i bought mine. Is it pretty for sure that my tranny will go? I drive it moderately with a few quick starts every now and then. So far I have been very very impressed with it, but I need someone to tell me what kind of things are going to go wrong with it. I was under the impression nothing would go wrong with it. Oh and can someone tell me what kind of 1/4 it runs and 0-60. Its a 00 SE Auto with 30K. Thanks!
Welcome to the .org! In all likelihood you will have no major problems with your Maxima. The vast majority are driven hard every day with no problems. What you see on the .org are the problem Maximas because there is no reason to post about the thousands of them that have no problems. Also, remember that the .org is populated with enthusiasts who mod, shift manually, and otherwise beat their cars into submission, and that's bound to cause problems.

As for the 1/4 mile and 0-60, check out the online magazines and do a search . I don't remember what your model will do.

NyMaxedOut 10-08-2002 08:30 AM

I agree with 2K2SE, you will hopefully not have any problems with your max. Welcome to .org and good luck bro!

nissanmaximas 10-08-2002 10:26 AM

Re: Auto Tranny is GONE! GONE!GONE!

dont feel bad, im on my 3rd tranny...

first one - the original (nissan changed tranny fluid and messed it up)

second one - just went after 20k miles

third one - currently (working like i just purchased the car yesterday.)

:D

2000 SE Auto -->Tranny gone at 48.5K :bawling: ..What the heck? Went to the dealer today and they confirmed the tranny is gone. Powertrain warranty covers but not sure if they'll rebuilt or try to get me a swap.

Story
==============
Well, to keep this short. I pulled out of the driveway last sunday on the way to work. no problem.. on the highway-i was bordered by the molasses in a camry and a buick and my lane was becoming a turn-only so I made a sprint for it. I felt a slight jerk from the tranny even though I didnt manually shift. Next thing I know car begans to feel as the e-brake was on. No power but I dealt with it since I was running late anyway. Got the garage but had pulled back to let a car out. Shift the whip to "R" and the car just sat there. Well, to make a long story short.. the whip is now at the dealer and he told me he would try for friday.
+++++++
Now the worst part. I just got informed all my AE parts have been shipped from Tustin.

Oh well..
and .. oh yes... I did have the slipping but didnt have it taken care of.. :mad:

Cavez 10-08-2002 01:48 PM

that's good news to hear, i was pretty upset last night when i found out i just spent 23K on a car that was 2 years old, had 25K on it and a tranny that was about to blow at 35K. I mean my car is about the smoothest thing ive ever driven besides the fact the suspension can be somewhat rough sometimes. The engines a dream though. Oh, heres a question for you...why is it that my car starts to really pull hard in between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. It seems kinda unnatural, like there's boost or something.

sleepur 10-08-2002 03:10 PM

ah man, i can smell it coming.

I just moved out to colorado. My wife has had my car for a few weeks while i was moving. She said it was acting "funny", shifting hard and stuff. So I was out today and my Service enging light comes on. I go home and check my fluids and they are all running hot. I just got the 30000 mile extended service (I had 35000 on it)done about 2500 miles ago. I just went past 36000 mile and dont have the extended warranty and it seems like the car is slamming into 2nd gear. I am taking it in on thursday, the guy said it was an "elevation issue", but probably not on the tranny.

any one know if my berk intake would have anything to do with this, in other words should i put the old one back on before i take it in????

Larrio 10-08-2002 03:31 PM

I think I have this "slamming" problem also.. but I haven't had any problems with the tranny so far.. with only 24k miles on a 2001 maxima.

My first to 2nd shift feels like the gear is getting jammed in really forcefully during hard acceleration. The only time I ever manually shifted, I semi chirped 2nd.. I thought something was wrong so I don't do it anymore.

CO2kmax 10-09-2002 01:05 AM

What does the slipage feel like or what does the engine do? I have a 2k with 78K on it, and have not had any TSB on the tranny done. All I have is a tranny cooler. I run the S#$T out of my car including tranny, I manually shift all the time up and down. The only thing I notice is when I push it to redline it shifts sort of hard but that is expected correct? Tim u said not to get the tsb's done why is that?

Regime 10-09-2002 01:27 AM

Originally posted by CO2kmax
What does the slipage feel like or what does the engine do?
It Feels like it slides from gear to gear...most noticeable when at WOT (wide open throttle)

Originally posted by CO2kmax
I have a 2k with 78K on it, and have not had any TSB on the tranny done. All I have is a tranny cooler. I run the S#$T out of my car including tranny, I manually shift all the time up and down. The only thing I notice is when I push it to redline it shifts sort of hard but that is expected correct? Tim u said not to get the tsb's done why is that?
His theory is that all the TSB does is prolong the life of a faulty tranny, which I completely agree with, as that is exactly what the TSB did for my car. It Firmed the shifting back up for about 10K miles...then Kaboom blew the tranny. :mad: wasn't even driving hard

[maxi-overdose] 10-09-2002 09:38 AM

Originally posted by sleepur
ah man, i can smell it coming.

I just moved out to colorado. My wife has had my car for a few weeks while i was moving. She said it was acting "funny", shifting hard and stuff. So I was out today and my Service enging light comes on. I go home and check my fluids and they are all running hot. I just got the 30000 mile extended service (I had 35000 on it)done about 2500 miles ago. I just went past 36000 mile and dont have the extended warranty and it seems like the car is slamming into 2nd gear. I am taking it in on thursday, the guy said it was an "elevation issue", but probably not on the tranny.

any one know if my berk intake would have anything to do with this, in other words should i put the old one back on before i take it in????

if there is an auto tranny problem...the service engine light will not turn on and indicate the tranny trouble. instead, the O/D light will blink. again....the operational temperature range for tranny fluid is from 54 to 174 F.....so it can be hot.

intake has nothing to do with tranny problem. with little increase of power by getting an aftermarket intake will not kill ur tranny.

sleepur 10-09-2002 09:41 AM

thanks maxi,
I am taking it in today at 2. They are going to take a look at it and i am going to try not to get ripped off by the dealer. I am going to have them go for a ride with me for the tranny problem as well. God damn, i bought this car so i wouldnt have to worry about crap like this.

[maxi-overdose] 10-09-2002 09:45 AM

Originally posted by sleepur
thanks maxi,
I am taking it in today at 2. They are going to take a look at it and i am going to try not to get ripped off by the dealer. I am going to have them go for a ride with me for the tranny problem as well. God damn, i bought this car so i wouldnt have to worry about crap like this.

good luck...hope there is nothing wrong with the tranny and tranny problems are more noticible when running the car cold. so try to be there early, cool the car off and have them ride the car.

NyMaxedOut 10-09-2002 03:06 PM

When I had my tranny blown last week... the fluid was burnt. Checked it at the dealer and it was burnt black

sleepur 10-09-2002 09:09 PM

the dealer ran the code check and came up with a 3 way fault, for the o2 sensor, catalytic converter, and something else that i dont remember. There was a TSB that they had on record for it. The fix was them having to download a new program into my ECU. After the fix, no more service engine light. $200 bucks later.. ouch. It worked, smoother starts, more even idle, and the shifts were better too. This was the only code that came back.
Not the smartest idea of mine was to go to the track a few hours after getting it fixed. Everything was fine, but my times sucked a big one. As a comparison I ran 15.6 in Maryland, tonight i ran 17.7 and 17.5. I hope it is just that the ECU hasnt quite adjusted yet. I did drive it for over an hour before I went to the track. And Bandimere is pretty high in elevation, so i expected a loss, just not this much. :bawling:
Guess i will have to boost, when my wallet gets a little thicker.