Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Suspension: i have H&Rs with stock struts but i want to go lower (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/116246-suspension-i-have-h-rs-stock-struts-but-i-want-go-lower.html)

Newman 10-07-2002 02:39 PM

Suspension: i have H&Rs with stock struts but i want to go lower

right now i have H&R springs with stock struts but i want the car to be lower. my plan is to get Eibach springs but i just want some input from you all on some things:

1) i have stock struts...if i were to keep the H&Rs and got a sportier aftermarket set could that effect my ride height a bit?

2) H&Rs are rated to give a lower drop than Eibachs but in reality i dont think that is true. Eibachs lower the car a bit more than H&Rs dont they? (newbie question, i know)

3) for struts i was planning on Tokico Blues but i can get major discounts through Tirerack.com and they only struts they have are KYB GR-2s. i havent heard anything about the GR-2s. can anyone tell me anything about them? good? bad? should i just get the Tokicos?

thanks for the help.

BigDogJonx 10-07-2002 02:59 PM

The hell with eibach springs, just cut a coil off the H&Rs

Dixit

Newman 10-07-2002 03:09 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
The hell with eibach springs, just cut a coil off the H&Rs

Dixit

i said that to Jason a few days ago and he talked me out of it. that was originally my plan.

cwally 10-07-2002 03:14 PM

Re: Suspension: i have H&Rs with stock struts but i want to go lower

Originally posted by Newman

2) H&Rs are rated to give a lower drop than Eibachs but in reality i dont think that is true. Eibachs lower the car a bit more than H&Rs dont they? (newbie question, i know)

3) for struts i was planning on Tokico Blues but i can get major discounts through Tirerack.com
thanks for the help.

Ques. 2 I heard the same thing, look at my homepage and see the Eibach drop. I also ran a 245/40-18 tire size which gave me less of a wheel gap, as well as being more aggresive.

Ques. 3 Maybe you can hook me up... ;) I need some also hehehe

2M0A0X2 10-07-2002 06:43 PM

hey, how's the ride quality with your setup, newman.....is it still floaty like the rest of the stock 2k2's? or is it better with the H&R's?

asu174 10-07-2002 07:23 PM

Progress has the cleanest, most even drop that I have seen. The ride is tight and I love them. Eibachs wold have been my 2nd choice, and yes, they seem to drop more than their rating. I think they actually drop a little more than Maxspeeds.:wall:

Newman 10-07-2002 07:58 PM

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2
hey, how's the ride quality with your setup, newman.....is it still floaty like the rest of the stock 2k2's? or is it better with the H&R's?
at first it was very floaty and bouncy with the H&Rs but since i got my rims that has changed. not sure why though. since getting the rims the car has been nice and solid. not too uncomfortable at all.

BugNout 10-07-2002 09:35 PM

yup there is still gap in the front with H&R. The rear is fine. The ride is excellent with H&R as well. Excellent balance between performance and comfort.

releasedtruth 10-07-2002 09:50 PM

Originally posted by asu174
Progress has the cleanest, most even drop that I have seen. The ride is tight and I love them. Eibachs wold have been my 2nd choice, and yes, they seem to drop more than their rating. I think they actually drop a little more than Maxspeeds.:wall:
I love your look Andy, I would do it, but I don't want the rough ride, just the fly looks. Can't have em both I guess.

perrymaxima 10-08-2002 05:26 AM

Originally posted by releasedtruth

I love your look Andy, I would do it, but I don't want the rough ride, just the fly looks. Can't have em both I guess.

You can if you get H&R the drop is minimal but just enough to give you a better looking wheel well. If you look at Honda\Acura and dare I say BMW they don't have the huge wheel gap that Nissan gives it's cars.

2K2SE 10-08-2002 05:44 AM

Re: Suspension: i have H&Rs with stock struts but i want to go lower

Originally posted by Newman
3) for struts i was planning on Tokico Blues but i can get major discounts through Tirerack.com and they only struts they have are KYB GR-2s. i havent heard anything about the GR-2s. can anyone tell me anything about them? good? bad? should i just get the Tokicos?
I put GR-2s on my old 240SX and loved them. They aren't adjustable but they made a huge difference in handling over the stock, blown struts. I got them from Tirerack and they came with a lifetime warranty. Highly recommended.

BioMaxDDS 10-08-2002 05:47 AM

is coilover available for 2k2+?

MiniRX7 10-08-2002 04:36 PM

YES

johnny2kgle 10-08-2002 06:36 PM

I have the KYB GR2 and Eibach setup on a 1st gen Altima. The Tokicos were not available at the time that I changed springs and struts.

The KYB GR2 are a good strut for the $$$. The altima rides much more like a sports sedan, i.e firmer and stiffer. Since its a 5 speed, I drive more aggressively than I do the Maxima.

Since I have a GLE, I will probaly go the H&R, Tokico Blues route to be closer to stock.