5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Beat to death subject but refresh my memory on slippage :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 04:21 AM

Beat to death subject but refresh my memory on slippage :)

My Max has 70K on it and I had the first tranny TSB done on it which is the replacement of the TCM. I did not have the 2nd one regarding the solenoids done.

When accelerating and the tranny is shifting between 1,2,3, and 4 I do not feel anything outside of the normal.....

Depending on the time of day I sometimes get caught in so pretty thick stop and go traffic...if I'm coasting along at maybe 10,15 20mph and then go to give it some pretty decent gas the car will sometimes have a delay and then do whats seems like a downshift into the next lower gear(I think) and give me a pretty good surge of power. Is this normal as in the tranny is just hunting for the right gear or is it slipping instead of immediately giving me instant power when I hit the gas?

Hope I explained that right...I'm bring the car in next Monday for some work and I want to know if I should mention it to them....They'll probably look at my brown tranny fluid and say that I'm abusing it...Well I have that 6 year 100k extended warranty that they gave me because I crabbed enough about my squeaky engine mounts so I might as well use it.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:32 AM

Mine at 18k for preventative reasons, i replaced the TCM and solenoid thru the delaer, tech hooked me up. so i never really experience the slip in my car. however in another max yes. to that, i still had the downshift you are refering to, and man it's annoying when coasting on the entrance ramp then punching it.

i asked the tech about this and he said all max from the 99 up has the same thing. i test drove 2 other max and sure is and also a 2k I30 and sure is.

from what i have concluded that is not the slipping problem, just a bad design flaw in out tranny

neil
Old 10-17-2002, 01:23 PM

Sounds like normal down shift to me. Mine does that occasionally and it is annoying. Sometimes when I'm in heavy traffic, I will manually shift. My 2001 has an OD button on the shifter which allows me to be in 3rd and if speed is slow enough, I can hold it in 2nd. This will help eliminate some of the down shifting. Also, the engine will slow you down so brakes don't heat up too much. Just what I do...
Old 10-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if I recalled it right, TCM fixes shifting between 1st - 2nd. 2nd - 3rd is solenoid. if u r running 10 - 15....u r stuck in 1st to 2nd (which TCM covers).

In addition, slipping is more easily to be obsereved in upshift

unless ur right foot can apply a fine increment of pressure to the pedal, make it shift to 3rd at 20mph

just wondering if u have done any tranny service? and how's ur tranny fluid condition?
Old 10-17-2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by 2k1seae
Sounds like normal down shift to me. Mine does that occasionally and it is annoying. Sometimes when I'm in heavy traffic, I will manually shift. My 2001 has an OD button on the shifter which allows me to be in 3rd and if speed is slow enough, I can hold it in 2nd. This will help eliminate some of the down shifting. Also, the engine will slow you down so brakes don't heat up too much. Just what I do...

I haven't done any service, in fact my fluid is not red anymore although it does not smell burnt, just dirty looking. I need to have it flushed but 130 from dealer is too steep right now.

Looking for a better deal to do it and someplace that will let me use synth.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by jnm2kse

I haven't done any service, in fact my fluid is not red anymore although it does not smell burnt, just dirty looking. I need to have it flushed but 130 from dealer is too steep right now.

Looking for a better deal to do it and someplace that will let me use synth.

hmmmm......u have 70k and u didnt do any tranny services? Nissan OEM ATF will last for 30k and after 30k, its quality starts to go downhill. tranny fluid for auto is a bit more complicated than that of manual since it does not only lubricate tranny internals, but also deliver power in the torque convertor....

get it done, u should feel the differences. and I will recommand flush over drain.

or, if u want DIY....take off the tranny pan and this will be a more efficient draining
Old 10-18-2002, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

hmmmm......u have 70k and u didnt do any tranny services? Nissan OEM ATF will last for 30k and after 30k, its quality starts to go downhill. tranny fluid for auto is a bit more complicated than that of manual since it does not only lubricate tranny internals, but also deliver power in the torque convertor....

get it done, u should feel the differences. and I will recommand flush over drain.

or, if u want DIY....take off the tranny pan and this will be a more efficient draining
Yeah...I'll probably ask them to do it on Monday...I'm bringing it in for an alignment and a rotate and balance so I'll ask them for a flush also I guess...unless I find another shop that will do it for less..130 ballons...holy crap...what the heck makes it so expensive?

Th tranny seems to be shifting smooth with no clunks or anything that would make me think that something was askew....most of that 70k is pure highway miles.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:42 AM

I just called Team Nissan in Manchester NH to inquire on the price of a Power Flush and was quoted 49.95. I asked him why so cheap compared to what other dealers are charging. He said a power flush is not required on the Maxima, only the basic service or fluid change.

He stated that Team Nissan only does it this way, no flush.

Telling me the truth or others gouging me?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:53 AM

I just called Team Nissan in Manchester NH to inquire on the price of a Power Flush and was quoted 49.95. I asked him why so cheap compared to what other dealers are charging. He said a power flush is not required on the Maxima, only the basic service or fluid change.

He stated that Team Nissan only does it this way, no flush.

Telling me the truth or others gouging me?

49.95 eh? I think this is what they do.... 1.drain the tranny 2.loose the hose to radiator 3.turn on the engine and rest of the tranny fluid will flush out. This will not flush out the fluid inside torque convertor...but it is good enough and having something done is better than nothing is done

those $140 flush requires machine to do it.....
Old 10-18-2002, 08:59 AM

49.95 eh? I think this is what they do.... 1.drain the tranny 2.loose the hose to radiator 3.turn on the engine and rest of the tranny fluid will flush out. This will not flush out the fluid inside torque convertor...but it is good enough and having something done is better than nothing is done

those $140 flush requires machine to do it.....

Could be, could be

how have you done it? Did you do a flush?

I've read where some folks have said that the power of the flush has damaged the tranny seals etc....I wouldnt think it would hurt a 2 year old cars even with 70k on it....

Probably worth the extra dough I suppose to get all the 70k crap out
Old 10-18-2002, 09:06 AM

Could be, could be

how have you done it? Did you do a flush?

I've read where some folks have said that the power of the flush has damaged the tranny seals etc....I wouldnt think it would hurt a 2 year old cars even with 70k on it....

Probably worth the extra dough I suppose to get all the 70k crap out
I have done it with someone~ we dropped the tranny pan and clean the magnets that collect metal shavings from the clutch bands. just drain the dropping the pan, took out a lot of used ATF. then we loose the hose and turn on the engine. but we didnt see anything comes out.

since u are at 70k.....I think it will be better if u can clean those magnets too....mine was fuzzy and u can see it at my homepage. and if u decided to take the pan out, make sure u buy urself some new pan gasket in case u need to replace the old one.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:02 AM

I have done it with someone~ we dropped the tranny pan and clean the magnets that collect metal shavings from the clutch bands. just drain the dropping the pan, took out a lot of used ATF. then we loose the hose and turn on the engine. but we didnt see anything comes out.

since u are at 70k.....I think it will be better if u can clean those magnets too....mine was fuzzy and u can see it at my homepage. and if u decided to take the pan out, make sure u buy urself some new pan gasket in case u need to replace the old one.

I wonder if the dealer does remove the pan when they do the flush? I imagine the would? I guess there is no guarantee...

I'm going to call the service manager in a few and ask him what my 130 dollars gets me....
Old 10-18-2002, 10:18 AM

I wonder if the dealer does remove the pan when they do the flush? I imagine the would? I guess there is no guarantee...

I'm going to call the service manager in a few and ask him what my 130 dollars gets me....
nah....I doubt it, since they have to torque down all the bolts on the pan....there are about 15 bolts.

maybe the 130 ones does......
Old 10-18-2002, 10:33 AM

nah....I doubt it, since they have to torque down all the bolts on the pan....there are about 15 bolts.

maybe the 130 ones does......

Nope...they sure don't...called an Infinti dealer and a Nissan dealer and neither one of them drop the pan.

Is this a new concept? The flush? Both people I talked to acted like I was asking the to quote the Bible to me or something...the Infinti guy sort of stumbled through it and finally said it takes about an hour or so...the Nissan woman I talked to had no clue...she had to get some guy on the phone who was pretty thorough on explaining what is done...some BG cleaner that supposed to cleanse the system yada, yada yada...

Heres the kicker....the Infinti shop is 10.00 less than the Nissan place...whats up with that? 130 vs 129 so still expensive but...hmmm maybe I should go there

but you are right...no pan droppage...could that flush send particles of shavings throughout the tranny?

i dunno...I'm at work and bored...can you tell?
Old 10-18-2002, 11:36 AM

hmmmm....so no one does it, eh? guess their goal is just to get the ATF out of tranny and put in new ones. and I am not too sure about the cleaner thingy too...

dropping the pants...I meant pan. it has two magnets on it and their role is to collect metallic shavings. so after severl thousand miles, there are a lot of shavings on it and I personally think it is better to clean those magnets so it can collect faster and prevent those shavings going back there. Flush can clean out some particles, but what's on the magnet is already attached to it. u have to take it out and wipe it down urself. is there any transmission store in town? call them and tell them this is what u wanted to be done, a good flush and good cleaning on the pan. then replaced the ATF with synthetic.

me too...I am at work and bored....and I dunno how closely they monitored our NT server

Nope...they sure don't...called an Infinti dealer and a Nissan dealer and neither one of them drop the pan.

Is this a new concept? The flush? Both people I talked to acted like I was asking the to quote the Bible to me or something...the Infinti guy sort of stumbled through it and finally said it takes about an hour or so...the Nissan woman I talked to had no clue...she had to get some guy on the phone who was pretty thorough on explaining what is done...some BG cleaner that supposed to cleanse the system yada, yada yada...

Heres the kicker....the Infinti shop is 10.00 less than the Nissan place...whats up with that? 130 vs 129 so still expensive but...hmmm maybe I should go there

but you are right...no pan droppage...could that flush send particles of shavings throughout the tranny?

i dunno...I'm at work and bored...can you tell?