Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Bad wheel bearing? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/127434-bad-wheel-bearing.html)

sambarnett 12-10-2002 12:10 AM

Bad wheel bearing?

I have a groaning sound that gets louder during hard left cornering and gets silent during hard right cornering. This leads me to believe that the right wheel bearing may be going bad. Does anyone have any insight into this? Does the 5th gen need to have the entire hub assembly replaced or can the bearing be replaced separately? Estimated pricing for parts and labor? FYI I have a 2000 with 77k miles. Thanks!

Sam

jbgoodmax 12-10-2002 05:23 AM

Replaced

I just had mine replaced (29,100 miles), same issues. I can ask and look at the bill to see what it was, the first time I went to this other dealer, they were going to keep the car for about 3/4 of the day.

sambarnett 12-10-2002 05:47 AM

Re: Replaced

Yeah, please let me know, Id appreciate it. Thanks!

Originally posted by jbgoodmax
I just had mine replaced (29,100 miles), same issues. I can ask and look at the bill to see what it was, the first time I went to this other dealer, they were going to keep the car for about 3/4 of the day.

ru4real 12-10-2002 08:06 AM

Re: Replaced

Originally posted by jbgoodmax
Was it replaced under warranty?

jbgoodmax 12-11-2002 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Replaced

Originally posted by ru4real

Was it replaced under warranty?

Yes, it was under warranty.

jbgoodmax 12-11-2002 03:04 PM

Re: Re: Replaced

Originally posted by sambarnett
Yeah, please let me know, Id appreciate it. Thanks!

There wasn't a cost on the repair order for the bear assb, but it did appear to take about 2 hours of labor.

The next time I'm at the shop I'll ask the cost of the bear assbly it's self. It's nice having a car under warranty, I would guess this was about a $500+ repair.

Hope this helps.

Hexen 12-18-2002 11:28 AM

The bearing is around $70, seals are probably $20 each (need two) and there is about 3 hours of labor...

Weasel 12-18-2002 01:18 PM

Re: Bad wheel bearing?

Originally posted by sambarnett
I have a groaning sound that gets louder during hard left cornering and gets silent during hard right cornering. This leads me to believe that the right wheel bearing may be going bad. Does anyone have any insight into this? Does the 5th gen need to have the entire hub assembly replaced or can the bearing be replaced separately? Estimated pricing for parts and labor? FYI I have a 2000 with 77k miles. Thanks!

Sam

Another easy test is to jack up the offending corner, hold the wheel by the top and bottom, and try to rock it. If there's any play in the wheel the bearing is most likely bad. The bearing car be bad and this won't happen, but if there is movement in the wheel it's almost always a sure indicator.