Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Replacement of Front pads and rotors (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/138770-replacement-front-pads-rotors.html)

sam930 02-14-2003 04:28 PM

Replacement of Front pads and rotors

I have a Nissan Maxima 2000 SE. I was recommended by the dealer during my last service visit to replace the front pads and rotors. Since the dealer will charge me big bucks to do this, any idea about:
1) Where do I buy the front pads and rotors from?
2) Recommending a place that will install the front pads and rotors.

I'm using the standard Bridgestone OEM tires for my car.

Thanks a lot!

Sam

BLKMAX005SPD 02-14-2003 05:24 PM

Re: Replacement of Front pads and rotors

Originally posted by sam930
I have a Nissan Maxima 2000 SE. I was recommended by the dealer during my last service visit to replace the front pads and rotors. Since the dealer will charge me big bucks to do this, any idea about:
1) Where do I buy the front pads and rotors from?
2) Recommending a place that will install the front pads and rotors.

I'm using the standard Bridgestone OEM tires for my car.

Thanks a lot!

Sam

This might help

I just order some new rotors...
email ken he will hoook you up

y2kse 02-14-2003 05:31 PM

This might help too . . .

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...0Disc&vaffid=0

Unless you enjoy watching your rotors crack, purchasing Stillen rotors (which, BTW, are manufactured by Brembo) or any other manufacturer's cross-drilled rotors is a waste of money. If you want to know why, do a search under rotors in the 5th Gen Forum.

2kSeattleMax 02-14-2003 05:40 PM

This is a pretty easy swap for the shadetree mechanic. I would do it myself if I were you. You might need a friend to help you bleed the brakes if you can't depress the pistons within the caliper. However, on a scale of 1 (easiest)-10 (most difficult)...front pads and rotors are about a 4".

You are going to need metric sockets, a torque wrench, floor jack (or jack stands), a speed bleeder helps.

kramerica72 02-14-2003 07:20 PM

Originally posted by 2kSeattleMax
This is a pretty easy swap for the shadetree mechanic. I would do it myself if I were you. You might need a friend to help you bleed the brakes if you can't depress the pistons within the caliper. However, on a scale of 1 (easiest)-10 (most difficult)...front pads and rotors are about a 4".

You are going to need metric sockets, a torque wrench, floor jack (or jack stands), a speed bleeder helps.

And don't forget a c-clamp to push the caliper pistons back in.

bert 02-14-2003 07:32 PM

The stock rotor ain't all that bad. An on-the-car lathe does a great job.

Don't even consider Nissan pads. Get something decent like Porterfields or Hawks. I have Hawk streets and love them.

Spending extra money on good pads will go further than spending extra money on good rotors.

foodmanry 02-15-2003 08:11 AM

The front rotors and pads are an easy change. Probably take you about an hour at the most. Look in the "Installation/How To" thread for directions.

You don't necessarily need to bleed the brakes. If you don't do autoX, or drag then it's a good idea to bleed the brakes every two years. If you do autoX, or drag then probably annual bleeding or even more depending on how much you do.

As far as cross-drilled rotors go...well that's a whole other issue. Some people have problems, other's dont. Personally I have yet to see any cracking or warpage with my slotted/cross-drilled rotors. I have had them on my max for about 30k miles. Break in is very important though for new rotors and pads. Try and search and you will find all the info you need.

:)

sam930 02-18-2003 03:07 PM

Hi All. Thanks for replying back. I'm planning on buying the Hawk HPS Street brake pads for my Nissan Maxima SE 2000 . I also need to replace the front rotors. Any idea which brand will go well with the Hawk HPS brake pads? Thanks!

NyMaxedOut 02-18-2003 04:04 PM

Originally posted by sam930
Hi All. Thanks for replying back. I'm planning on buying the Hawk HPS Street brake pads for my Nissan Maxima SE 2000 . I also need to replace the front rotors. Any idea which brand will go well with the Hawk HPS brake pads? Thanks!
I just replaced my pads last saturday with Raybestos Quiet Stop from Pep Boys. Those pads are really good and I highly recommend them as does many others on this site (do a search and see). I got my rotors from www.raceconcepts.net. I got Brembo blanks cross-drilled and slotted (mainly for looks) for front and back. Brembo, I am told he had no blanks for the rear for 5th gens. I had to go w/EMC. Had an org member complete the swap for me and he did a superb job.

2k2albatross 08-17-2017 07:40 PM

Recently replaced my front brakes and rotors with Brembo Rotors and Bosch Pads. I used the Hanes manual and also the 5th Gen DIY Link which I always reference when performing this task. Here is a video of the process.

crazy97 08-22-2017 08:12 PM

This thread is as old as my 03 :D

I love my Hawk pads though. They're so good, you couldn't pay me to try anything else.

2k2albatross 08-23-2017 08:09 PM

Crazy97,
LOL. Felt I could contribute since this site has saved me so much money on maintenance with my 02. I used the Hawks in the past since so many people had good things to say about them on the forum. There is no doubt that they were great brakes. Unfortunately the place I ordered the Brembos from did not carry them so I went with the Bosch Pads.