5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nov. 03 Trade In Value, 04 Maxima, Murano, Sorry... Long Post

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 09:45 PM

Nov. 03 Trade In Value, 04 Maxima, Murano, Sorry... Long Post

Hi,

My fiance and I went to a nissan dealer today just to check out the new maxima and murano. We sat down with a salesperson (he was very courteous), and began to discuss trading in our Nov. 03 fully loaded SE (no navi). My fiance has been dying to check out the new maxima, but has been wanting the new murano. The fear of theft has brought us to consider trading the car in.

The 04 maxima was just ALRIGHT, nothing special. And even with my fiance who from pictures was so into the car, didn't really care for it. Along with the cheap looking grille and the really cheap looking taillights (worse than our clear ones), the car really didn't have much to offer. Sure the interior was decent, but our 03 was just as good.

The murano was what caught our eye, especially my fiance. She saw it, and then after sitting in it and test driving it, she definitely wanted it. Being 6'4, the leg room was more than adequate, much more than the pathfinder or xterra that we checked out as well. The interior had some features that were terrific. But one thing that we couldn't stand was the amber displays that reminded me of the cheap monochrome computer monitors back in the days of a commodore 64. The lighting in our maxima displays is so much more attractive.

Anyways, we sat down with the salesperson and then the financial manager (who were just so nice to us), and they had our car appraised and began to work out numbers. And that was the most important part to us.

They had to stretch just to give us $21,500 for a perfect condition 5 month maxima. Considering what we paid plus taxes and such that was a pretty big hit. Add that to the fact that they were not going to lower the price on the murano too much, and that because of the current loan lowering my credit rating (our first major investment) thus raising the rate on the murano, we were going to take a huge hit... especially on a car that we really like.

The whole point is this - we left the dealer feeling great that we didn't complete the deal. Even more importantly, we both fell in love with our maxima all over again. Earlier in the day, we even went to a Cadillac dealer to check out the CTS. But we went home with the best car for us. I hope everyone here feels that way. The 5th gen maximas are really hard to beat, and we felt better today than we did when we first picked up the car.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for letting me vent.
Even with the fear of theft, we will happily keep what we have.
Enjoy your maxima, it is our perfect car!!
Old 03-23-2003, 10:10 PM

i gotta agree with you when you say that the murano is a real headturner. sorry to hear the bad news though, dont worry though, the maxima is still a great car, with a great interior and still has the same motor in the murano