5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:13 AM

PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!!
I am in the process of buying a 2000 Maxima SE. Upon test driving it yesterday I noticed the SLIP and TCS Indicator lights on the dash were lite. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I don't want to buy into a problematic car.........Thanks!
Old 04-26-2003, 02:13 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

Originally posted by BennysMAXIMA
I am in the process of buying a 2000 Maxima SE. Upon test driving it yesterday I noticed the SLIP and TCS Indicator lights on the dash were lite. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I don't want to buy into a problematic car.........Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure about a 2000 Max, but on my Dad's 99 GLE whenever his ignition coil would start freaking out, it tripped the SLIP and TCS indicator lights. As soon as I got the bad coils replaced, the lights didn't come back on.

In addition to that, the SLIP & TCS lights also act as an SES light for the traction control system problem codes. So most likely there is a problem with the TCS system.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know on my 2k3 the slip & TCS lights are on when the TCS is off. Did you check to make sure the TCS was on?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Avoid this car..

My moms 99 Max had this problem (Started happening while i was driving on the highway), i got both these indicators.. resulted in very expensive repairs ..

ABS module/controller which interconnected to he TCS was burnt, costs several thousands to fix..

ED
Old 04-26-2003, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

Originally posted by RC03MAX

I'm not 100% sure about a 2000 Max, but on my Dad's 99 GLE whenever his ignition coil would start freaking out, it tripped the SLIP and TCS indicator lights. As soon as I got the bad coils replaced, the lights didn't come back on.

In addition to that, the SLIP & TCS lights also act as an SES light for the traction control system problem codes. So most likely there is a problem with the TCS system.

I got this excerpt from the service manual:

TCS Function

Drive wheel slippage is detected by the 4-wheel rotating speed
signal. When the wheel slip becomes excessive, the TCS operates,
causing the SLIP indicator lamp to flash. And, at the same time,
fuel-cut and throttle opening signals are sent to the ECM and a
signal requiring a change in the shift schedule is sent to the TCM.
When the TCS OFF switch is used to cancel TCS function, the TCS
OFF indicator lamp will light. (TCS does not activate.)

In case of a malfunction in the TCS, both the SLIP indicator lamp and the TCS OFF indicator lamp will light, while shutting down the TCS system operation. The vehicle will operate in the same way as a vehicle not equipped with the TCS.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:10 PM

Look for another car! Electrical problems are $$$. Could be a MAF going bad.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:33 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

The dealer I bought from took the car to the local Nissan dealership and ran a code test and it all came back fine other than a bad coil. Should I still consider buying it in your opinion?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:36 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

The dealer I bought from took the car to the local Nissan dealership and ran a code test and it all came back fine other than a bad coil. Should I still consider buying it in your opinion?
tell the dealer to repair whatever it is that is wrong with the car before you take delivery.....

if the car is a good enough price, have them make the repairs and if they aren't completed, refuse to take the car.

Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: PLEASE HELP Makin a Downpayment soon!! SLIP Light Indicator and TCS Indicator Lights

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

tell the dealer to repair whatever it is that is wrong with the car before you take delivery.....

if the car is a good enough price, have them make the repairs and if they aren't completed, refuse to take the car.
Is the TCS feature on 2K Maxima's on the fly or do you have to be in a specific gear (park or neutral)?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by RC03MAX

Thats exactly what Nissan said the probelm was.....I was doubting it but seeing that you had the same issue and that fixed I feel pretty confident now! Thanks so much.....It's too nice of a car for me to pass up......Especially after driving GM's for the past couple years!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:16 AM

ALL coils should be changed!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Maximam
ALL coils should be changed!
If the dealer is willing to do this, then that would be great. If not, at the very least have them replace the bad coils and then test drive the car again to make sure the lights don't come back on.

(On my dad's 99 GLE I only had to replace 2 of the 6 coils and the car has been running great for months now.)