5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3rd gear grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:00 PM

3rd gear grinding noise

Maxes:

I have the famous 3rd gear notchiness. It would occur during a 5,000 rpm shift. Sometimes it would engage, other times it would not. Well, that was a few months ago. I took the car to Nissan, and they said "no prob. found". Well, now at 7K miles, I am getting a grinding sound in 3 gear from anywhere above 3,000 rpms. Its only in 3rd gear. I will take it to Nissan next week, and have one of their "techs" sit in the car, while I demonstrate the noise to them. I am trying to anticpate what their response will be. They may say its the clutch, and try to have me pay for repairs. I doubt its the clutch with only 7K miles on it, considering its not driven hard. Plus, if it was the clutch, it would not engage in other gears too. My friend thinks its the synchros, (another posted that response here in the past). I know of the synthetic fluids mod that some owners have done, which has resulted into smoother shifts, but this grind, is not only notchy, but you can hear a "grrr" when shifting into 3rd above 3,000. The gear does engage, but it just does not sound/seem right. I don't think a change in fluids will work. What do u Maxes think they will say? I just want my car fixed, with smooth shifting gears, with no BS from the dealer. The Max is only a year old. I have opened up a file with Nissan North America when the dealer told me "no prob. found" a few months ago, so at least I have that on record...Thanks for any input.

Regards,

ShysMax
Old 08-27-2003, 10:31 PM

I just took my max in for an oil change and they checked my third gear cause I told them it was grinding. They DID duplicate the problem though...AGAIN. Supposedly the tech is gonna call me tomorrow morning to see what Nissan NA says. They have to wait to see if they are going to "tear it down and repair" or "get a whole new one...again".

N-E-Ways, hope yours gets fixed, basically you have to go with the tech or at least try telling him the exact circumstances in which it will do it so that he can duplicate it, if he still can't, take him with you (it worked for me the 1st time).

Good luck
Old 08-28-2003, 09:28 AM

Hey thanks for the response. Why are you on your second tranny? And did they fix it the first time for free? and what was wrong with the first?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Lol, it seems I forgot some details.

Ok, the first tranny was replaced because it was doing the same thing that yours and my second tranny are doing (grinding third for no reason). They said when they replaced it that Nissan NA was sending them a "new one" from the factory in California. Yes they did everything for free and they even got me a rental car while I waited for my car to be fixed. Make sure you let them know what an inconvenience all this is for you so that they feel bad (hopefully there's a heart amongst them ) and rent you a car or at least help you in some way.

If you're still under warranty and I don't see why you wouldn't be, take it to them and they'll fix it no charge because it's not your fault it busted (at least I hope it isn't).

G'luck
Old 08-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I assume the noise you describe is occuring during shifting (synchro), not after 3rd gear is engaged (bad gear). I have that problem also, and switching to Redline MT-90 helped, but did not eliminate the problem. Shifting in all gears now smoother.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Um.. no matter waht you do you will eventually get grinding

I had it in my 2k2, and now in my 2k3, and even ont he brand new 2k3's i was test driving..

THERE IS NO END
Old 09-02-2003, 07:21 PM

Rujorujo, thanks for the reply. U're right, the grinding is during the shifting into 3rd gear. MiniRX7, thanks for the post too. I'm tkaing the car to Nissan on Fri.

I have noticed this: If I wait 1 sec. after I press the clutch, and then shift into 3rd gear, it is swweeet. (Altho, at 5K, I still get some grinding, but not as bad as shifting normally). Should we have to do this -NO WAY! But I found it interesting, that waiting for a slight moment, leads to a very smooth shift into 3rd upto say 5K. Man, this is how it should feel ALL THE TIME!

Anyway, lets see what Friday brings. I have opened a case with Nissan North America the last time I was at the dealer, bec. they gave me the "no prob. found" crap. This time, I'm taking a mech. with me for a drive. U two guys, didn't you take it to Nissan? Why not?

Regards,

ShysMax
2002 SE 6spd
Old 09-03-2003, 08:17 AM

i had my tranny replaced because 3rd gear would grind when i down shifted and sometimes reverse wouldnt go all the way in and i'd get a grind when i gave it gas.

ive had the new tranny for 5k and its perfect.