Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Cattman YPipe Installed......thoughts..... (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/187485-cattman-ypipe-installed-thoughts.html)

Lumbee1 10-24-2003 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
ok, i was finally able to upload some more videos. i need a better DV camera. this is just my mavica which has a 15 second quick video clip setting. not much i can do, but hey, it's the best i can do for you guys.

due to my server having a limit, i'd like it if you could do a save as, and then watch it. last thing i need is 10000 people streaming it...thanks

Crusing from 1st-3rd gear, shifting at 3k rpm

Wide Open Throttle from standing outside

Wide Open Throttle from inside car - missed 3rd gear, smacked redline..DOH!!!!

yes, i had my strobes on...i was bored...

let me know if this helps anyone....as you can see, it really isn't that loud at all....and again, that is with an injen and a greddy, so dont' hink that just the ypipe suddenly created ALL that noise. it's a combination of all that. and standing in front of the car, most of the noise you hear is the injen, with the greddy taking over from the back.

U da man Polo :bowdown:

PoLo 10-24-2003 04:09 PM

Installed Pics....

for those that requested pics of the ypipe installed, here you go.....

http://polo.relative.ws/CattmanYPipe/Installed01.JPG

this is the secondary pipe that the ypipe goes into.

http://polo.relative.ws/CattmanYPipe/Installed03.JPG

and this is what i had to dremel...information has been passed to brian for review. as you can see, it's not that bad of a thing at all....again, just a minor thing. some filing down or dremeling will resolve this problem

http://polo.relative.ws/CattmanYPipe/Installed04.JPG

chigga 10-24-2003 04:34 PM

thanx for the hook up Polo good lookin out!!!!

Cattman 10-24-2003 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by maximilion
To me its sounds like the y pipe added a kind of a rhaspy tone. What do you think?

It was evident when I paired our first y-pipe with a GReddy five years ago, and has been replayed many times since, [GReddy exhaust + aftermarket y-pipe = raspy/harsh exhaust note].

GReddys and any other exhuast with a small B-pipe resonator or no resonator at all, become raspy with y-pipes for some reason, its a steady pattern.

Not to miss an opportunity, I'll point out that this phenomenon inspired the approach we took to the Cattman catback exhaust. We designed ours using features that make it sound great with a y-pipe (and it sounds good without one too). Among other things, our resonator is huge, but doesn't take away any power. More expensive than some, but you have to listen to it every time you turn on the car -- you really want it to be something that you like.

And our catback exhausts will be on sale next week...

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

2k2kev 10-24-2003 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
let me start by saying I have no idea how these parts are supposed to be made, or what it looks like on the other side of this flange... my question...

why does it look like the pipe is not welded to the flange in the red circle? Is it supposed to be? Is it welded 100% on the other side of the flange?

:confused:

Triple8Sol 10-24-2003 07:52 PM

Good catch, and good question?

Guru 10-24-2003 07:55 PM

Well I am the one who did the testing and just as a note with stock muffler the sound did not change perceptibly. It was whisper quiet. After adding the intake on the other hand it got SUPER loud. Not the exhaust but the intake noise. I was shocked at how loud intakes are on this motor. As a note with proper fuel tuning we could have gotten even bigger gains. I was impressed with the results especially considering the modest cost. For those without aspirations of turbo or SC kits, a y-pipe, exhaust, intake and S-AFC II seem to be the best way to extract some great gains across the board.

Cattman 10-24-2003 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
let me start by saying I have no idea how these parts are supposed to be made, or what it looks like on the other side of this flange... my question...

why does it look like the pipe is not welded to the flange in the red circle? Is it supposed to be? Is it welded 100% on the other side of the flange?

:confused:

You guessed at the other possibility, so this won't come as a surprise, but I'll also explain why its important to do it the way we do.

There is a full circle weld on the inside of the flange opening. We three-seam weld the backside of the flange for a lot of added strength, and that's what you see in this picture.

The reason is that on the downpipes -- where the gas is coming into the y-pipe from the manifold -- our full-circle TIG welds inside the flange opening literally melt the edge of the tubing into the the flange, creating a smooth surface at that opening instead of the bare edge of the pipe catching the oncoming gas stream. This tubing edge weld is considerably more difficult than the weld on the back of the flange (like in the picture) but since it serves a functional purpose, that's the way we do it.

Can anyone find another brand of y-pipe that's made this way?

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

bhaycraft 10-24-2003 10:04 PM

I would be very interested in purchasing the new Y Pipe and the B Pipe but I would first have to hear what that sounds like from a stock Maxima SE with standard exhaust. I used to have a Accord back in highschool and I did exhaust work to that and I did not like the sound I got from my Flowmaster or the DynaMax it was way to ricey in my opinion. I have made a few modest changes so far to my max (K&N Air/Oil Filter, Royal Purple, Redline MT90 Gear Oil, Underdrive pulley, Strut tower bar, Rear Sway bar) and I am always looking for something that really improves the original product but does not introduce longevity problems or makes it sound like I have the Fast and Furious going on at my rear end. I am very interested in the Coilovers that Polo just got if it does not make a noticeable difference in the ride I get from my Max now. I really think the Max is way to wallowy in the turns and the handling was poor overall because of the poor rear suspension design. I have done what I can for it I think by purchasing the FSTB and the Rear Sway Bar.

Cattman 10-24-2003 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by bhaycraft
I would be very interested in purchasing the new Y Pipe and the B Pipe but I would first have to hear what that sounds like from a stock Maxima SE with standard exhaust. I used to have a Accord back in highschool and I did exhaust work to that and I did not like the sound I got from my Flowmaster or the DynaMax it was way to ricey in my opinion. I have made a few modest changes so far to my max (K&N Air/Oil Filter, Royal Purple, Redline MT90 Gear Oil, Underdrive pulley, Strut tower bar, Rear Sway bar) and I am always looking for something that really improves the original product but does not introduce longevity problems or makes it sound like I have the Fast and Furious going on at my rear end. I am very interested in the Coilovers that Polo just got if it does not make a noticeable difference in the ride I get from my Max now. I really think the Max is way to wallowy in the turns and the handling was poor overall because of the poor rear suspension design. I have done what I can for it I think by purchasing the FSTB and the Rear Sway Bar.

There will be no relationship between the way the car sounds with the y-pipe and the mid-pipe and the Honda flowmaster of your youth. Read the post a couple back by Guru, who actually tested the y-pipe and b-pipe on his car -- the y-pipe has little impact, the B-pipe has a resonator as big or bigger than the stock exhaust, and the stock muffler is till on. What he says is literally the way it is, this is not a subjective thing, the car remains very quiet.

As far as coilovers, the Cattman coilovers (that Polo has) offer a street ride that is more comfortable than any I've ridden on -- way better than the JIC and Tien tooth-rattlers -- but it still handles great. That said, you cannot fix the handling shortcomings you mention without a noticeable difference in the ride. Simply defies the law of physics. BTW, the car's handling shortcomings are primarily due to the car being too softly sprung and damped, not the rear axle. That axle takes a lot of heat and is highly underrated and is more sophisticated than it appears -- it may look like a GM beam axle, but it behaves quite differently.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

bhaycraft 10-25-2003 11:05 AM

Well I still would like to hear someone's setup with a stock muffler before I could make the decision to purchase the B Pipe and the Y Pipe. I am sure someone will go ahead and get the B and Y and apply it to a stock muffler system and post it here on the site. If that setup sounds good and pretty much stock then I probably will move on that pretty quickly as well as I might get the ECU chip from Technosquare.

2k2kev 10-25-2003 11:19 AM

maybe might might maybe someone else probably ....

how about you be the first??

WildmanAL 10-25-2003 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
maybe might might maybe someone else probably ....

how about you be the first??

I will be the first.... I think. The y-pipe will be here next week and then that Saturday I'm going to go get it put on. I have a budget b-pipe with custom bent 2.5" rear to my stock muffler. I don't have anyway of recording the sound, but I'll let you guys know. I'm not about noice one bit, so if I like. Everyone should like it.

96_vqmax 10-26-2003 01:09 AM

So Cattman,is $15 for 3 gasket or just one?

PoLo 10-26-2003 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by 96_vqmax
So Cattman,is $15 for 3 gasket or just one?

all 3......

shurik 05-12-2006 11:13 AM

I know this a an old thread but POLO pics are missing. Can you put them back?

PoLo 05-12-2006 11:15 AM

http://www.digitalpolo.com/2002MaximaSE/CattmanYPipe/