Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Upgraded my Injen filter (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/187702-upgraded-my-injen-filter.html)

asu174 10-20-2003 09:13 PM

Upgraded my Injen filter

After having a buzzing sound from my intake drive me insane for the past month, I decided to get a different filter for it. I had a Berk intake a long time ago, so I decided to get the same filter as that one had.

The buzzing is gone and there is also a slight increase in power. Although my butt dyno has never been very accurate, I am 99% sure that I gained 1-2 hp from this.

For more info, go here.

Look at the size difference:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...6_344_full.jpg

Also, fit was not an issue at all and this actually extends the filter even further below the radiator/battery making this more of a true cold air intake.

nismotech 10-20-2003 10:47 PM

First things first, Damn! Your Injen filter is DIRTY!!

Second, did you remove the under the car cover in order clear the berk intake filter? or no?

asu174 10-20-2003 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by nismotech
First things first, Damn! Your Injen filter is DIRTY!!

Second, did you remove the under the car cover in order clear the berk intake filter? or no?

It isn't that old either. It's only 2000 miles old at the very most. :gotme:

No, I didn't have to remove the splash guard. It has PLENTY of clearance.

PoLo 10-21-2003 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by asu174
It isn't that old either. It's only 2000 miles old at the very most. :gotme:

No, I didn't have to remove the splash guard. It has PLENTY of clearance.

thanx man. just ordered mine...i've had my injen filter for about 9k miles now and it looks just like that one. yikes. maybe this has been the problem in my mpg this whole time. it started with the injen, let's hope it improves. how long did it take you to get yours?

2001SE 10-21-2003 06:26 AM

the K&N filters are suppose to last for a very long time. but i dont believe that, i replace mine like every 20k miles

NT2SHBBY 10-21-2003 06:27 AM

my stillen has 6000k on it and it looks quite new... :gotme:

2k2kev 10-21-2003 06:53 AM

thanks for posting this... did you check around for prices, or did you find that price and just think it was good and buy it?

just asking so I don't waste 1/2 day searching if you already did :D

asu174 10-21-2003 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
how long did it take you to get yours?

About a week shipped UPS to my door. :)

asu174 10-21-2003 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
thanks for posting this... did you check around for prices, or did you find that price and just think it was good and buy it?

just asking so I don't waste 1/2 day searching if you already did :D

It was the best price I could find, especially with free shipping.

Cdriven 10-21-2003 06:58 AM

After having a buzzing sound from my intake drive me insane for the past month, I decided to get a different filter for it. I had a Berk intake a long time ago, so I decided to get the same filter as that one had.

The buzzing is gone and there is also a slight increase in power. Although my butt dyno has never been very accurate, I am 99% sure that I gained 1-2 hp from this.

For more info, go here.

Look at the size difference:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...6_344_full.jpg

Also, fit was not an issue at all and this actually extends the filter even further below the radiator/battery making this more of a true cold air intake.

Wow, looks kinda dirty. Maybe I should check mine too. When I first got the Injen, I was getting like 30-31 mpg hwy, but not it dropped a few mpg. Maybe cause it's dirty??

What do you guys use to wash the Injen filter??

RusoTuristo 10-21-2003 08:00 AM

Although my butt dyno has never been very accurate, I am 99% sure that I gained 1-2 hp from this.

Not quite sure about accuracy, but if you can feel a 1-2 hp difference with your butt dyno it's pretty damn sensitive. :)

Igor911 10-21-2003 08:05 AM

WOW...as soon as my bank acct comes back up from negatives, I'll get one of these too :)

Great find Andy! :thumbsup:

PoLo 10-21-2003 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by RusoTuristo
Not quite sure about accuracy, but if you can feel a 1-2 hp difference with your butt dyno it's pretty damn sensitive. :)

:)
GOOD ONE.

nismotech 10-21-2003 08:21 AM

Chicks dig guys with sensitive "As$", they think its a turn on~ :calder:

maximamaybe 10-21-2003 08:29 AM

About a week shipped UPS to my door. :)

I purchased the same filter (RU-2820) from a local 4Wheel parts for around $35. It seems to respond a little better, but who knows. My filter was very dirty.

PoLo 11-07-2003 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
I purchased the same filter (RU-2820) from a local 4Wheel parts for around $35. It seems to respond a little better, but who knows. My filter was very dirty.

adding to this thread....i haven't driven my car since last week, when i put the filter on, so i only had the pleasure of replacing the filter and then parking the car. i took the day off of work so i took it for quick spin today. could have been the cold weather, but the car picked up a lot better. this is seriously noticable. like when i was stuck in traffic, and moved up a bit, the car seemed to "move up" faster than before.

i guess simply put, it's good to know that the injen is some generic filter that is always in need to be replaced sooner or later.

btw, i had 8k on my filter, and it was just as dark as asu's.

asu174 11-07-2003 08:01 PM

Yeah, Polo hit the nail on the head about the "move up faster" bit. It just feels like I get better overall response.

Lumbee1 11-08-2003 07:35 AM

Yeah, Polo hit the nail on the head about the "move up faster" bit. It just feels like I get better overall response.

Andy, exactly why is your red Injen filter blue/black? :confused: