Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Smashed the Max! (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/203911-smashed-max.html)

LSUmax 01-19-2004 12:46 PM

Smashed the Max!

I spun out on I-95 Sunday morning doing about 35mph. Happened in Norwalk,CT. Was on the on-ramp trying to get to the middle lane which had been plowed, the extreme right lane had a lot of snow on it. Car spun around as I was changing lanes, hit the concrete median twice and ended up facing the oncoming traffic luckily no one was coming so i was able to crawl the car to the other side of the interstate.

I think my suspension is gone, maybe my axle as well. Side passenger airbags deployed. Whole passenger side of the Max is ****ed! Dropped the car of this morning. They think it will be 2-3 weeks at least!!

I officially hate snow now!!!! :o

takkar 01-19-2004 12:48 PM

Sorry to hear that bud..I slid into a curb on saturday night and messed up my tire and my alignment..nothing compared to yours but it hurts!!

maximo-SE 01-19-2004 12:50 PM

.... man that sucked. Yeah Yesterday night in boston, I felt like driving in a ice rink. I almost slipped like 50 times walking to my car, and my car did the coolest swurves I ever saw..... yeah I hated snow since I started driving.....

takkar 01-19-2004 12:55 PM

it's hard to get the Max to slip because its a heavy car..but when it slips..damn it's hard to control it...but i was quite impressed at the way it plows through the snow...you know how the plow machines leave a wall of snow right at the end of you driveway....my accord keeps getting stuck in it..but my max plowed right through it!!!! :)

BiggD23 01-19-2004 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
it's hard to get the Max to slip because its a heavy car

My favorite quote of the year so far. :laugh:

2k3TitaniumSe 01-19-2004 01:37 PM

Did you have the Craptenzas on?

SterlingMist00 01-19-2004 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BiggD23
My favorite quote of the year so far. :laugh:

:sprint: you hit it!

irish44j 01-19-2004 03:32 PM

craptenzas claim another victim?

Uconn411 01-19-2004 06:37 PM

I just drove Sun morning to Atlantic City, and was on I-95 for a bit. Lots of spin outs and accidents. My max handled very well, thx to Dunlop Winter Sport M3 winter tires. I highly recommend them.

KiLLeR2002se 01-19-2004 06:45 PM

sorry to heat that man

2K3MAXX 01-19-2004 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
but i was quite impressed at the way it plows through the snow...you know how the plow machines leave a wall of snow right at the end of your driveway....my accord keeps getting stuck in it..but my max plowed right through it!!!! :)

that's the 4X4 feature of the MAXIMA... :grinno:

BLKMAX005SPD 01-19-2004 08:33 PM

sorry to here about your wreck man...
i slid off the road saturday and went into a ditch and ****ed up underneth my car...
heres a pic
i took the pic with my phone...its kinda bad but you can see what happen
snow sucks!!!!!
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...35_74_full.jpg

housecor 01-19-2004 10:11 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear. I flew off the road last weekend and ended up spinning across oncoming traffic and into a ditch. The whole time my girlfriend was screaming lines that would make a sailor proud. I mean, I'd never heard some of these words before. Why so upset? Fear for her life? Nah, I was driving her car and she thought I was "showing off". Thankfully we missed 2 mailboxes, a couple trees, a shrub, and an oncoming explorer as I gracefully parked her car in a muddy ditch. Amazingly, no damage!

Still, it was a great day to leave Max in the garage. :thumbsup:

vsamoylov 01-19-2004 10:16 PM

and then try to sell your car to somebody else if they hear these stories.

FanaticMadMax 01-20-2004 12:06 AM

hmm.....he probably driving bad tires or those craptenza ones

packetattack 01-20-2004 01:04 AM

I was in Albany over the weekend. Drove 190 miles from NYC. There was some snow up there, about 1/2" - 1" left on the ground from the previous storm. The Nokian WR tires are just incredible in the snow and on polished ice.

I was able to pull up a steep hill with a mix of snow and ice about a 60° gradient with no problems. I went slow and the tires dug in.

Tires make the biggest difference.

Originally Posted by Uconn411
I just drove Sun morning to Atlantic City, and was on I-95 for a bit. Lots of spin outs and accidents. My max handled very well, thx to Dunlop Winter Sport M3 winter tires. I highly recommend them.

JdoubleOe703 01-20-2004 02:33 AM

you most likely will be carless for longer than that.. boo... insurance takes at least a week or two and then the body shops love to take their time... i hate goin to bodyshops.. they always say 1 week and it becomes 1 month..

LSUmax 01-20-2004 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Did you have the Craptenzas on?

Yes I do have the Craptenzas on. I thought they handled pretty well in the snow before, apparently not!!
Definitely investing in snow tires when the car gets back on the road!

F23A4 01-20-2004 11:20 AM

Snow/Ice; reason number 4 why I dont drive my Maxima to work. ( 1) HID Theft, 2) Traffic, 3) Fuel Mileage)

scopium 01-20-2004 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by teddibear703
you most likely will be carless for longer than that.. boo... insurance takes at least a week or two and then the body shops love to take their time... i hate goin to bodyshops.. they always say 1 week and it becomes 1 month..

teddy you back? r u in cali now?

panda_1 01-20-2004 09:45 PM

Sorry To Hear That, But I Can Somewhat Relate Some Lady Side Swiped Me Goin Home And Then Decided It Would Be Funny To Run. So Had To Chase. This Happened January 2nd And Im Still Waiting For The Insurance Company.

xfirepwr1 01-21-2004 06:58 AM

I feel your pain. two years ago I was driving my TA in the snow exact same thing happened to me I hit the concreet median twice, smashed the front side and back side of my car and was facing the oncoming traffic. Hopefully everyting is gonna work out for you.

LSUmax 01-21-2004 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by xfirepwr1
I feel your pain. two years ago I was driving my TA in the snow exact same thing happened to me I hit the concreet median twice, smashed the front side and back side of my car and was facing the oncoming traffic. Hopefully everyting is gonna work out for you.

I should find out from the Progressive what the score is on the ride today. Hopefully it will not be too much, but then hell, that is why I have insurance, to cover **** like this when it happens!

LSUmax 01-21-2004 03:08 PM

So the guy from progressive called back. I have almost $9000 in damages. Should i try to get this car totalled? Blue book value of this car is a little over 20K and i have only owned this car for a year.

NYC TAR 01-21-2004 03:46 PM

I would say just get another car why because you alot of problem later like on,like ticking noise,or some other noise, rust. and the will frame will never be the same ie strength, stiffnes, or aligment will be off.