Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   2003 headlights on a 2000 (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/205585-2003-headlights-2000-a.html)

RickCardinale 01-27-2004 03:11 PM

2003 headlights on a 2000

What kind of mods are needed to put 2003 headlights on a 2000 Maxima?

jattmax 01-27-2004 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RickCardinale
What kind of mods are needed to put 2003 headlights on a 2000 Maxima?

if i remember correctly, other than wiring, its a direct fit,

HitManSE 01-28-2004 12:33 AM

You need a clip as well.

minsbang 01-28-2004 09:26 AM

i wouldn't....
you might end up getting them stolen (knock on wood)
save yourself the stress and just buy HID kit
you won't even care about the looks of your headlights while you're driving

Belmont 01-29-2004 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by minsbang
i wouldn't....

anyone have any links to the HID kit?

2k1IceMax 01-29-2004 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Belmont
anyone have any links to the HID kit?

Xenon Depot

I ran accross this site the other day.

Belmont 01-29-2004 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2k1IceMax
Xenon Depot

I ran accross this site the other day.

whew... still pricey :)

NYC TAR 01-29-2004 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by minsbang
i wouldn't....

dude hid kit is illegal (tickets) plus you won't benfit form this because the light will shine upward leaving you with no light on the ground. Do you know how many glare issue you can cause(accidents). you are reason why DOT want to ban HID form factory.

Modeflip 01-29-2004 02:30 PM

Can't a Nissan dealer install them for us?
I also want 2k2/3 HIDs on my 2k, how much would a dealer charge you think? Im guessing like $1000?

Jaws 01-29-2004 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Modeflip
I also want 2k2/3 HIDs on my 2k, how much would a dealer charge you think? Im guessing like $1000?

Guess again.

Modeflip 01-29-2004 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jaws
Guess again.

oh man, now im not sure I want to know...$2000?

RoNx777 01-29-2004 07:21 PM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...e=2002HID-PAIR

sweetride 01-29-2004 07:45 PM

I was thinking about the same thing too then get it painted black then add the angel eyes. I would rather trade in my 2000 for an 04.

sweetride 01-29-2004 07:46 PM

brain fart ------03

Gsilk 01-29-2004 07:47 PM

i think he means labor and installation and the new HIDS. it will be a pretty penny thats for sure

HitManSE 01-29-2004 10:51 PM

oh man, now im not sure I want to know...$2000?

$1K my @ss, try $725 retail for EACH headlight assembly, so thats $1450 right there. It doesnt stop there either...then you'll need the clips that are like $10 thats no big deal. Then the wire harness to make it work, good ol DAVEB will sell you the pigtail harness's to hook them up BUT your local dealer will sell you the harness hooked up to everthing else that will end up running you about...say $700-800 just for that peice alone. They wont sell you the pigtail harness, they dont know which one it is. To R&R that peice & the headlights will be a good $200 in labor at the dealer.
Expect a price tag of about $2500ish if you with do get this done at the dealer.
As far as XenonDepot being expensive :rolleyes: thats aint sh!t. When it comes to HID's you get what you pay for. $400 ish for a conversion isnt bad at all.

Jaws 01-30-2004 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
$1K my @ss, try $725 retail for EACH headlight assembly, so thats $1450 right there. It doesnt stop there either...then you'll need the clips that are like $10 thats no big deal. Then the wire harness to make it work, good ol DAVEB will sell you the pigtail harness's to hook them up BUT your local dealer will sell you the harness hooked up to everthing else that will end up running you about...say $700-800 just for that peice alone. They wont sell you the pigtail harness, they dont know which one it is. To R&R that peice & the headlights will be a good $200 in labor at the dealer.
Expect a price tag of about $2500ish if you with do get this done at the dealer.
As far as XenonDepot being expensive :rolleyes: thats aint sh!t. When it comes to HID's you get what you pay for. $400 ish for a conversion isnt bad at all.

:sprint: And day after installation, they'd be stolen. Try to get money out of your insurnace company for non-OEM headlights that have a high theft rate to begin with on the OEM applications. Not worth it.

jattmax 01-30-2004 01:43 PM

no offense to maxima owners, me being one as well i can say one thing honestly, the hid lights in the 02/03's and even in the 04's suck a$$.... Have you guy's driven a car with REAL hids? I must say yes the lights is evenly spread and white on the maxi's, but its nothing to go spending money on. I would buy HID projectors and retrofit those into the regular 00/01 housing if I were you, you wouldnt get your light jacked cause most people probably wouldnt care to notice it from far away, and you'd actaully have real light on the street. Take a look at my Honda s2000 retrofit, ppl say they are hard to get, I've gotten my hand on 3 pairs for all my cars, the deals are out there, you just gotta find em...

S2000 projector retrofit

2k3TitaniumSe 01-30-2004 02:38 PM

what is retro fitting?

mclee45 01-30-2004 06:50 PM

i just did my conversion. the headlight housing itself is expensive but the HID wiring kit is only $35 at courtesy nissan. It comes with all the wires and plugs you need.
And I dont where you got your price for the clips. $10??? I bought mine for $1.35 each. you can do the wiring yourself too. You just have to sauder a bit since theres 8 wires on each headlight.

HitManSE 01-30-2004 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mclee45
i just did my conversion. the headlight housing itself is expensive but the HID wiring kit is only $35 at courtesy nissan. It comes with all the wires and plugs you need.
And I dont where you got your price for the clips. $10??? I bought mine for $1.35 each. you can do the wiring yourself too. You just have to sauder a bit since theres 8 wires on each headlight.

I just threw a # off the top of my head, the clips are cheap. $10, $5, $1 :gotme: who cared, bottom line is they are cheap.

Guys I have to say I 100% agree jattmax on this. The ONLY thing the 02 headlights have on the 00-01's are that they look better, even when not lit-up.
Personally I am planning on throwing on some 4300K projectors in my fogs & I REALLLLY want to retro-fit some into my headlights as well. The light output on our HID's compared to a projector setup isnt even funny.

Ammi 01-30-2004 08:20 PM

You dont even need to solder any wires. You can do w/ crimp connectors

00SEinMA 01-30-2004 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
what is retro fitting?

Retro fitting is taking a projector from another car and mounting it inside your headlight. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it. I'm currently in process of retrofitting Valeo (S4) european spec projectors into a set of 2002 headlights. Should be intresting!

-James

00SEinMA 01-30-2004 11:04 PM

Go to http://www.hidforum.com to learn more about retrofitting. Everyone is real friendly over there and it's very informative. It'll answer all your hid questions.

-James

HitManSE 01-31-2004 03:29 PM

"Interesting" :confused: Is that even the right word for that project :laugh: Thats bad @ss man :thumbsup: post pics when its all said & done.

Just wondering though, are you going to tackle the project yourself? or are you going to let hidtech/illusion do it for you? Personally I would want to do it myself, but the 2k2 hids are anything but cheap so id rather let some1 with yrs of experience under their belts do it for me. The Fogs on the other hand, im going to tackle myself, that shouldnt be much of a big deal. I just dont want to jack up my headlights :grinno:
I could only imagine how much light this is going to put out with 2 sets of 4100-4300K projectors :drool1: Im even thinking of going with the Euro-spec to get that sharpe cutoff.

ICELANDIC MAX 01-31-2004 03:49 PM

going from 02 to 00/01 headlights

anyone have the instruction for going from 02 to 00/01 headlights? i know i need the h4 wires. does it require any wire splitting?

HitManSE 01-31-2004 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ICELANDIC MAX
anyone have the instruction for going from 02 to 00/01 headlights? i know i need the h4 wires. does it require any wire splitting?

Check your PM's in 2min.

00SEinMA 01-31-2004 04:53 PM

Yeah Hitman... I was going to go with it myself, but then I decided that the lights are so damn expensive that I'll let HIDtech do it... When it's done they are gunna be painted, cleared, DDE lights, and euro valeo's with philips 4100K bulbs and stock ballasts. The shield of the projector is also modified to be perfectly flat, rather than having a flair. They will also hopefully be mounting IS300 components into my fogs as well if it's possible.

I might buy another set of bi-xenon projectors and put them in my current AE lights and maybe sell them here on the org, just to have my own project.

As for projectors in the fogs... it's a tough call because I have the valeo's sitting right next to me. These are some of the smallest ones, and I doubt they will fit in the fogs. I was thinking of buying an extra set and trying to mount some aftermarket projector fogs in there and retro them to be HID. Here's a link as to what I'm talking about with that.
http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/h...conversion.htm

-James

HitManSE 01-31-2004 05:04 PM

Dude, please get back to me with some pics of how this turns out. I want to see exactly how it turns out. Im talking pics upclose to show the smallest details, ect... :D

As for the fogs...well I havnt seen the valeo's but ill see what happens. As of now, ive had the Catz 6500K H3 kit in the fogs for a while, it plenty bright considering its only 21w but just now what im looking for. I want that projector look & more light output.

As for the valeo's in the 2k2's I dont know exactly how its going to turn out, or what your planning but personally Im going to have the projecor lens be the only visible part. I dont want the whole area cut out & have a bulky housing in its place, but a sleek looking setup. Like I said, I'd just want the lens to be visible and thats all.

00SEinMA 01-31-2004 05:35 PM

I'll def post pics... I'm just waiting on some final parts... should be sent out to hidtech at the latest in 2 weeks.

Can't wait.

redstradic 01-31-2004 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
no offense to maxima owners, me being one as well i can say one thing honestly, the hid lights in the 02/03's and even in the 04's suck a$$.... Have you guy's driven a car with REAL hids? I must say yes the lights is evenly spread and white on the maxi's, but its nothing to go spending money on. I would buy HID projectors and retrofit those into the regular 00/01 housing if I were you, you wouldnt get your light jacked cause most people probably wouldnt care to notice it from far away, and you'd actaully have real light on the street. Take a look at my Honda s2000 retrofit, ppl say they are hard to get, I've gotten my hand on 3 pairs for all my cars, the deals are out there, you just gotta find em...

S2000 projector retrofit

Let there be light! Now those are bright!