5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hey All. I'm new to the forum and Have O2 sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey All. I'm new to the forum and Have O2 sensor problems

Ok,

I've got a 2000 Max GLE and the service engine light came on. Took it to yee old AutoZone and they told me it was the Bank 1 O2 sensor that was totally fried (both parts of it).

Ok, well first of all, all the guy told me was that this part (being that it was bank 1) was located on the side of the engine that has the cylinder which fires first. Well, I'm not sure which side/cylinder this is.

Next, he said it could be the O2 sensor before or after the catalytic converter, and I was wondering if there was a way to check and see which one it is exactly, because I don't want to pay around $200.00 when I can just pay around $100.00 for the part.

Also, does the oxygen sensor decrease the performance of the car, because ever since the service engine light has come on I have noticed that the car is much more laggish.

A thanks in advance for the help to come!!

-Scott

P.S. I apologize for such a petty post, but i tried the forum search function for "Oxygen Sensor" and it said I was not able to use that function...otherwise I would have just looked for an answer.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:50 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Hmmm, bank 1 sensor # what? Aren't there two sensors on that bank? Or is that bank 2...

Bank 1 is the side closest to the firewall, and contains cylinders 1,3,5...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok..he didn't tell me a sensor #...should i go back and get them to do it one more time and get the sensor #?

And are there only 2 total oxygen sensors or are there 4 total?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok...went back to ol' faithful Autozone and they told me that it was Bank 1 Sensor 2...(finally a straight answer from those people). So, can anyone tell me where this is? I know it is "after the catalytic converter," but where is it on the engine? THANKS

-Scott
Old 04-12-2004, 02:56 PM

The 4 x 02 sensor on a cali spec end up in front of the engine check between the radiator and the engine there is 4 align from right to left. Do you happen to know the PO# code ?

Cheers

AA
Old 04-12-2004, 03:46 PM

If you have Cali emissions it is in the front along with two others. It's the one with the white harness.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:44 PM

I noticed a change in performance to when my SES light came on. It does run kinda sluggish also the gas mileage is not that good. I took it to autozone and yes it was an O2 sensor the code was P0138 if I'm not mistaken. My questions are.. Is this covered under the extended warranty?...and does this really have a effect on performance?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dee Dibease
I noticed a change in performance to when my SES light came on. It does run kinda sluggish also the gas mileage is not that good. I took it to autozone and yes it was an O2 sensor the code was P0138 if I'm not mistaken. My questions are.. Is this covered under the extended warranty?...and does this really have a effect on performance?
The O2 code was 0420. I don't know what 0138 is.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dee Dibease
Yes, P0138 is the downstream sensor on bank 1. Downstream sensors are used to monitor catalytic effeciency and generally won't affect mileage or performance. It may be covered under your extended warranty -- depends one which warranty you purchased.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SE01
The O2 code was 0420. I don't know what 0138 is.

Get this fixed FREE!!! its a TSB, I got a free O2 sensor and the ECU reset.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie\My Documents\car stuff\TSB_Max\AUTOPEDIA™ NHTSA Service Bulletins Search Form.htm

Make : NISSAN Model : MAXIMA Year : 2001
Service Bulletin Num : 02051A Date of Bulletin: JUL 16, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003433
Component: OTHER
Summary:
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH REAR O2 SENSOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0138, P0139, P0158, P0159, P1147 AND P1167 SET. *TT
-----------------
Service Bulletin Num : NTB02051A Date of Bulletin: JUL 16, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003459
Component: OTHER
Summary:
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH REAR 02 SENSOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0138, P0139, P0158, P0159, P1147 AND P1167 SET. *TT
-------------------
Service Bulletin Num : NTB01016A Date of Bulletin: JUL 02, 2001
NHTSA Item Number: 623204
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL
Summary:
THIS BULLETIN FOCUSES ON VEHICLES EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH REAR O2 SENSOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0138 - P0140 OR P0158 - P0160. *SB
----------------------------------
Old 04-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok Guys I've Got the PO Code Now.

The gentlemen at AutoZone ran the diagnostics again and they said it was PO138 and PO139. Is that one O2 sensor and just both parts of that one sensor? If so, can someone please tell me which sensor this is on a 2000 GLE Max. THANKS SO MUCH.

-Scott
Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BurgMax
Ok Guys I've Got the PO Code Now.

The gentlemen at AutoZone ran the diagnostics again and they said it was PO138 and PO139. Is that one O2 sensor and just both parts of that one sensor? If so, can someone please tell me which sensor this is on a 2000 GLE Max. THANKS SO MUCH.

-Scott
2 error codes, one O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Hold on a minute...

Before you get to happy, settle down. This is not a simple thing- if it were, it would not be the one of the hottest topics in this forum. YOU CANNOT GO BY THE CODE ALONE or by what pep boys says. Often they are wrong. I know because I have gone through this before.

Bank 1 is the firewall side no doubt- sensor 1 is nearest the engine or upstream from the cat.

Bank 2 is the radiator side respectfully...however keep in mind, you might need to reflash the computer first which only the dealer can do. This is the first thing to try. When it is in for this service make sure to tell them to use zip ties to secure the wire harness on the ECU, they will know what you mean. You see there is a TSB out there that says the wire harness going into the computer or ECU often loosens up over bumps do to a bad design tolerance on that car. When the connector gets loose, it throws erroneous codes. Just because pep boys computer says it is an 02 DOES NOT mean it is. Many a max owner has replaced them only to have the light of death come back on. You don't need to spend the money only to learn the hard way. If after having the dealer perform this service first and if the light returns, then you can replace the sensor yourself but you must have pep boys reset the light- just unplugging the battery is a temporary fix as the code is stored in the computer much like web pages are stored on your PC. It will come back on after +/-6 key cycles. The above information is not merely my opinion but rather a fact. I use to be a mechanic and I have experienced this issue first hand. I know what I am talking about.

Review:

1. Have dealer reflash and secure the harness to the ECU. PS I hate stealerships but only they can reflash- your local mechanic cannot, depite what he tells you- it's a proprietary program.
(Securing the ECU is cake and a do it yoruselfr' ; buy 2"18 inch platic zip ties, (DO NOT USE 2, 9" ties tied together to make one 18"- it doesn't work). Take off the panels on the drivers right kick panel and the passengers left kick panel...they just pull off. You will then see the ECU, it's a little 6"x9" silver box. Wrap the ties around the entire ECU and finally around the plastic connector piece- don't go super tight but nice and snug.

2. If after having the dealer FLASH and SECURE THE ECU, and if the light returns, replace the sensor yourself (then have pep boys or other clear the code (with an OBDII Diagnostic machine only). Take your time, get the right tools. (hint, if your throwing it out, you can just cut the wires on the old sensor to enable you to use a socket. The new one will require either an 02 sensor wrench or a good open ended wrench. -putting anew one in is much easier then taking the old one out. Also it is recommended to clean out the threads.

The result should be better gas milage and a smoother idle. I replaced it with a Bosch Sensor that I got for $90 on www.discount02sensors.com

Suggestion, replace air filter and use synthetic oil w/stock filter. Good luck.

* NOTE THIS ADVICE APPLIED TO MY '01 MAX W/CA. EMMSSIONS-
You can check but my best guess says it should apply to yours ('00) as well.

1800nissan1 if you have more problems. Have them start a complaint log.

*If your dealer won't do a courtesy reflash on THEIR faulty ECU- a heated topic of debate, the fee should not exceed $75 and they should credit that amount if the light comes back on.

Got the PO Code Now.

-Scott[/QUOTE]
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by max 01
Before you get to happy, settle down. This is not a simple thing- if it were, it would not be the one of the hottest topics in this forum. YOU CANNOT GO BY THE CODE ALONE or by what pep boys says. Often they are wrong. I know because I have gone through this before.

Bank 1 is the firewall side no doubt- sensor 1 is nearest the engine or upstream from the cat.

-Scott
[/QUOTE]

Good point!! but this fix as it a (common?) known problem. The TSB states that the O2 sensor must be changed and the ECU must be REPROGRAMED.

They changed my O2 and reset my computer and it blew within 2 hours. I returned and told them to do it right and the light has not been back. (they did not check for TSBs first)
Old 04-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I'm going to hold off on the installation until I find out if it is a faulty connection between the wiring harness and the ECU.

But if it's not could someone please post a picture of where the O2 sensor is on a 2000 maxima GLE. I know that I have seen pics in other threads on this forum and was just curious if someone already had one because it would help tremendously. As always THANKS GUYS!

-Scott
Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Dont mean to steal this thread, but i had the same problem and max01 you seem to know about this,

I had the ses come on with the code p0171 and p0134 bank 1 sensor 1, called dave b he sent me the sensor, when i looked into my engine i saw 4 plugs up front, the sensor he sent me was the one for the plug all the way on the left, because the plug for the sensor only matched that one, the factory wire happened to be a blue color and the sensor was plugged into the left side of the manifold. I changed that sensor, then got the code deleted, it came back on and now says p0171, p0134 again, i dont know what to do now, the guy at autozone is stupid as **** and said i have an exhaust leak, so i said how do i have that checked he said turn the car on and listen. any ways if you have any clues i would appreciate it

brandon
Old 04-15-2004, 02:41 PM

O2 Location picture...

I have this but the org. doesn't seem to allow me to right click to post the schematic. Does anyone know how I can post this picture?

If you have an email address or fax # post it here and I'll shoot it out to you. I agree- having the pic in front of you is very helpful.

Originally Posted by BurgMax
Ok, I'm going to hold off on the installation until I find out if it is a faulty connection between the wiring harness and the ECU.

But if it's not could someone please post a picture of where the O2 sensor is on a 2000 maxima GLE. I know that I have seen pics in other threads on this forum and was just curious if someone already had one because it would help tremendously. As always THANKS GUYS!

-Scott
Old 04-15-2004, 02:51 PM

02 problem...

Originally Posted by BrandonSE
Dont mean to steal this thread, but i had the same problem and max01 you seem to know about this,

I had the ses come on with the code p0171 and p0134 bank 1 sensor 1, called dave b he sent me the sensor, when i looked into my engine i saw 4 plugs up front, the sensor he sent me was the one for the plug all the way on the left, because the plug for the sensor only matched that one, the factory wire happened to be a blue color and the sensor was plugged into the left side of the manifold. I changed that sensor, then got the code deleted, it came back on and now says p0171, p0134 again, i dont know what to do now, the guy at autozone is stupid as **** and said i have an exhaust leak, so i said how do i have that checked he said turn the car on and listen. any ways if you have any clues i would appreciate it

brandon
Brandon,

I applaud your trying to do it yourself but the color on the wire should have tipped you off. They are specific colors for just that reason. Certain sensors may be interchangable- as each set regardless of front or rear designation essentially performs the same function- although pre and post cat 02's may control other ECU parameters. Additionally they all have different part numbers so the wire configuration or tolerances may be differenet- another way Nissan screws the working man.

The first question is did you read my post above outlining the correct troubleshooting protocols? If not, read then come back-

Okay were back. Buy the correct sensor and put it in the correct spot then have the ECU reset. If you have any aftermarket equip on, take it off for now until you dismiss it as a potnential source. I have a diagram of all the sensor locations. If you feel a need for it, post your email address and I'll send it to you too.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

David,

Thanks for the help...my email address is lasterscott@hotmail.com. The picture would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this engine. It is just a bit different than my old '88 240..hehe. So anything will help. THANKS and take care.

-Scott
Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM

Hey guys using this thread.

Im little confusing about upstream and downstream. I know this is 5th gen and i believe its same as 4th gen for o2 sensors. I have cali car so its 4 o2 sensors. I have p0138 and not sure which one upstream or downstream. Im trying to buy one from rockauto bosch. I looked some said, upstream left upstream right or downstream. Can you tell me which one is right for p0138 whatever stream goes? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 SE P1167 & P0159 replaced o2 now what to do

Hello all I am new here and have a problem with my 2002 Max SE 119,000 miles
P1167 and p0159
two years ago had the same codes, replaced the two rear 02 bank 2 sensors and had the dealer update the ECU. all good

So now I have both P1167 and p0159 again, I replaced both rear o2 bank 2 and the same codes coming back, I also replaced plugs oil change and ran sea foam the car, same thing, I added defoulers to both rear o2 same problem.
I checked and zip tied the ECU connector

I am not sure what to do now, try to replace all 4 o2 ? replace cat ? gas cap ?

Car runs and drives fine also but never comes to ready then the codes come back I am unclear what to try next

Any input would be helpful
Thanks all
Rob
Old 06-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lcddcl2001
Hello all I am new here and have a problem with my 2002 Max SE 119,000 miles
P1167 and p0159
two years ago had the same codes, replaced the two rear 02 bank 2 sensors and had the dealer update the ECU. all good

So now I have both P1167 and p0159 again, I replaced both rear o2 bank 2 and the same codes coming back, I also replaced plugs oil change and ran sea foam the car, same thing, I added defoulers to both rear o2 same problem.
I checked and zip tied the ECU connector

I am not sure what to do now, try to replace all 4 o2 ? replace cat ? gas cap?
Car runs and drives fine also but never comes to ready then the codes come back I am unclear what to try next
Any input would be helpful
Thanks all
Rob
Your ECU does not like how your rear (i.e, downstream) O2 sensor on bank 2 (by the radiator) behaves. It thinks that the sensor circuit is either open, or that it's shorted, perhaps because of one/more of the following conditions:
  • The sensor itself (rear O2 sensor on bank 2) is bad,
  • The fuel pressure is bad/low - because of bad fuel pump or fuel dampener, or other,
  • There are leaks in your air intake,
  • One/more of the injectors on bank 2 is bad.
You can get all this information from the EC section of the FSM. You can download it from here: [url]http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/ .

Your car is driving fine because the input from the rear O2 sensor does not affect the driveability of the car. Your ECU uses this sensor to monitor the efficiency of your catalytic converter; so, it is possible - but not guaranteed - that your catalytic converter is approaching the end of its life. If your cats were to fail, you would normally get the dreaded p0720 next. However, since you installed antifoulers, I am not sure what's going on .... perhaps your antifoulers are not working well, or your rear O2 sensor failed again (quite possible).