Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   What rear spring doesn't bottom w/ full load? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/225061-what-rear-spring-doesnt-bottom-w-full-load.html)

divisions 04-25-2004 04:40 PM

What rear spring doesn't bottom w/ full load?

My H&R's with AGX give a wonderful ride with 2-3 people. However with a 4-5 people or fully loaded the rear bottoms out on large bumps, even with AGX's at 8. A real problem in NY, with all the highways being very bumpy.

I need a rear spring that doesn't bottom as easily. Basically a rear spring that is stiffer and taller (less drop) than H&R's.

Shift_VQ 04-25-2004 04:47 PM

Tein h-tech?

spirilis 04-25-2004 05:54 PM

Stock SE springs?

AKM2k5 04-25-2004 06:09 PM

damn, i feel ya man, NY streets and highways suck.

Maxima Dan 04-25-2004 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
Tein h-tech?

Nope, my H-Techs bottom worse than my Maxspeeds. The only thing I did different was I trimmed the rear bump stop by an inch before I put the H-techs in. I am thinking of going back to Maxspeeds in the rear and H-techs in the front, although it is such a PITA to do i will probably just live with it and curse everytime I hit a large bump.

housecor 04-25-2004 07:46 PM

Eibachs are generally known as the stiffest. May be worth a shot. But really, if you have that many people in your car that often, you should go back to stock. Your car would still look lowered anyway. :grinno:

KiLLeR2002se 04-25-2004 09:47 PM

jics
:)

Shift_VQ 04-25-2004 10:06 PM

Are you supposed to trim the bumpstops for h techs? and what causes them to bottom out?

divisions 04-25-2004 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by housecor
Eibachs are generally known as the stiffest. May be worth a shot. But really, if you have that many people in your car that often, you should go back to stock. Your car would still look lowered anyway. :grinno:

The problem is even the stock SE springs are too soft for their given amount of travel. I can sort of quantify what I am looking for...maybe the spring with the greatest K, when K = (overall spring rate)*(inches of compression travel at static or preloaded ride height).

A self leveling type rear shock, like used on the M5, would be ideal and solve all my problems.

Shift_VQ 04-25-2004 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
Nope, my H-Techs bottom worse than my Maxspeeds. The only thing I did different was I trimmed the rear bump stop by an inch before I put the H-techs in. I am thinking of going back to Maxspeeds in the rear and H-techs in the front, although it is such a PITA to do i will probably just live with it and curse everytime I hit a large bump.

How much better are the maxspeeds with bottoming out than the h techs, if you can somehow give a comparison, also can you describe the two drops? Like which is lower in front, rear and ride differences?

Shift_VQ 04-25-2004 10:43 PM

Also, housecor how are the progress springs with bottoming out?

Maxima Dan 04-26-2004 08:21 AM

How much better are the maxspeeds with bottoming out than the h techs, if you can somehow give a comparison, also can you describe the two drops? Like which is lower in front, rear and ride differences?

I really never thought there would be much difference between the two, but there obviously is. I am not sure if it was from trimming the bumpstop per the installation instructions or from the softer spring. Ride certainly feels softer to me, I really like the ride. But I do seem to bottom a whole lot more. I really didn't bother to measure the difference in drop, but the rear seems lower to my eye with the H-Techs. I am considering putting my system on a diet before I go through the hassle of changing the springs back.

Shift_VQ 04-26-2004 08:52 AM

Are the h techs lower in front? and how much does your system weigh?

Maxima Dan 04-26-2004 11:17 AM

Are the h techs lower in front? and how much does your system weigh?

I trimmed one coil off the front Maxspeeds so it is an unfair comparison. The front is definately a finger or two higher than it was.

I figure the system is between 150 and 200Lbs. So it's pretty much like traveling with a body in the trunk at all times. :)