Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Reverse Camera in trunk key hole-------> (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/234242-reverse-camera-trunk-key-hole.html)

K Pazzo 6 06-10-2004 06:48 AM

Reverse Camera in trunk key hole------->

Anybody have this done?

I just got my camera in mail & wondering if theres any pointers from those who have done this on how to take out current keyhole mechanism? (i'll probably figure it out weekend when i have time if nobody knows.)

p.s. i got this camera http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7904241070

4x4Max 06-10-2004 07:15 AM

I would do that if i had a monitor in my car...sounds like a good idea

MiniRX7 06-10-2004 07:48 AM

How are you going to make ur screen switch automatically to the reverse cam when you shift your car to reverse?

I had an idea on how to do this, but i am not sure you wanna hack your deck up.

See, on my 7"screen, its just the screen, there is a button which switches between Video 1 and Video 2.

What i was planning on doing was hacking the screen. When a reverse signal is engaged, it will pulse the video screen signal switch to Video TWO, and when the reverse light is off, it will pulse again, swithcing the screen back to video 1.

But many headunits like yours already come with a wire that taps into the revesre light and switches it.. Which is sweet.

ED

scopium 06-10-2004 07:49 AM

thats usually for bigger cars.. that cant really see behind them...
although it would look pretty unique

Maxxxed 06-10-2004 07:56 AM

I think this is an awesome device especially for someone with dark tints... it would be cool if the camera has nightshot...

MacAlert 06-10-2004 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
How are you going to make ur screen switch automatically to the reverse cam when you shift your car to reverse?

I believe the AVIC-N1 has an option for reverse camera.

SMX 06-10-2004 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacAlert

Yep, it does

pablosal 06-10-2004 09:24 AM

Sounds like a plan, if only I had a screen :(

BLaZin 2k MaX 06-10-2004 09:38 AM

You should be able to push it out from the back of the lid.

K Pazzo 6 06-10-2004 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
You should be able to push it out from the back of the lid.

i'll play around with it sat. or sun.

K Pazzo 6 06-10-2004 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert

:nod:.........

MiniRX7 06-10-2004 03:21 PM

Lucky bastard!!

Nismo98 06-10-2004 03:36 PM

I think Max4Speed has or had one of those, but it wasn't the one for the key hole.

Andrei

thomasd cook 06-13-2004 09:38 PM

I just installed my video system last week. It cost me $200 for a 7.2" in-dash monitor. I kept my headunit and am using that as my head source. I also put an X-Box under the seat for DVD's. I also have a 3 input TV tuner which accepts 3 inputs and a rear view camera. I just so happened to install my camera today. I love it. I hooked it up so I can always flip it on whenever I want. I have the same camera as the one shown.
It was not an exact fitment. I had to use a dremel to widen the hole slightly. The lock came out pretty easily. There's one big clip holding it tight against the trunk lid. Then you need to release the yellow tabs from around the little arm that extends to the latch. Remove the other end from the latch. There's also a little harness which attaches to the lock. Just unclip it. The cylinder can slide out and needs to be tilted so arm clears the hole.
I'm going to take some pics tomorrow of my new setup and put them on my homepage. Whole install on camera took me an hour. But most of that time was spent with the Dremel.
I install home and business camera's and security systems for a living, so this is pretty simple to me. Ask ?'s if you need to know how to wire it up.

FanaticMadMax 06-13-2004 09:49 PM

geez, you guys can't get enough wtih the electronics. Sound like a bunch of germans here trying to cram a lot of electronic crap inot the car. I wouldn't mess with it cuz it's unnecessary.

maseo77 06-14-2004 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
I just installed my video system last week. It cost me $200 for a 7.2" in-dash monitor. I kept my headunit and am using that as my head source. I also put an X-Box under the seat for DVD's. I also have a 3 input TV tuner which accepts 3 inputs and a rear view camera. I just so happened to install my camera today. I love it. I hooked it up so I can always flip it on whenever I want. I have the same camera as the one shown.
It was not an exact fitment. I had to use a dremel to widen the hole slightly. The lock came out pretty easily. There's one big clip holding it tight against the trunk lid. Then you need to release the yellow tabs from around the little arm that extends to the latch. Remove the other end from the latch. There's also a little harness which attaches to the lock. Just unclip it. The cylinder can slide out and needs to be tilted so arm clears the hole.
I'm going to take some pics tomorrow of my new setup and put them on my homepage. Whole install on camera took me an hour. But most of that time was spent with the Dremel.
I install home and business camera's and security systems for a living, so this is pretty simple to me. Ask ?'s if you need to know how to wire it up.

could u post pics or do a write up on this installation, where did you run th epower wire to?

IceY2K1 06-14-2004 07:14 AM

Sounds cool...what camera did you use and how much?

K Pazzo 6 06-14-2004 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by thomasd cook

alright cool....well i get my car back tomorrow or wed....so i'll start on this install over the weekend probably....if any questions i'll send you an email

thanks

K Pazzo 6 06-14-2004 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Sounds cool...what camera did you use and how much?

whos this question directed to? :confused:

K Pazzo 6 07-04-2004 11:16 AM

heres pics for those who wanted pics....

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...64_12_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...64_13_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...64_14_full.jpg

K Pazzo 6 07-04-2004 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by maseo77
could u post pics or do a write up on this installation, where did you run th epower wire to?

i just ran power wire to rear cig lighter & taped into that wire

WildmanAL 07-04-2004 11:39 AM

Awesome install

BLKMAX005SPD 07-04-2004 02:53 PM

Thast awesome...
i just placed a bid on one too!!!

DAVE Sz 07-04-2004 06:38 PM

If I was going to do it I would angle the Camera a bit to have a better view of the other cars front bumper. Then again the camera probably has a wide viewing angle so that might not be needed.