Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Brake light works intermittently (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/245315-brake-light-works-intermittently.html)

zourtney 08-20-2004 09:52 PM

Brake light works intermittently

ok, I hate being the newbie, but I got a question on my newly purchased 2000 max --

The driver's side brake light is working intermittently. Running lights and blinkers are fine, but no brake light. Is this an electrical issue that Nissan needs to look at? Could it be a loose connection? (And yes, the bulb has been replaced)

Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks for your help guys!

scopium 08-20-2004 09:57 PM

look at your wires.. or fuses

Trance Artur 08-21-2004 07:15 AM

Might have a burnt out blub.

rule da road 08-21-2004 07:28 AM

are those standard bulbs or upgrades? Is moisture getting in? The connector could be loose or getting jarred. Either that or what i'm really thinkin the bulb is bad.

zourtney 08-21-2004 08:15 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. I need to just take a few minutes to check it out, but my baby's on the other side of the country :( (I'm on vacation)

Thanks again!

FusionAcid 08-21-2004 11:09 AM

I have a 2000 max aswell. I have noticed that my right taillight sometimes stops working aswell. I noticed it go out like 4 months ago, and only happened 1 time since then. I just shook the wire harness around until it started working and didn't touch it again. let me know what ur situation is. Probably a loose harness aswell. Just wiggle the wires and have someone push the brakes :nod:

zourtney 08-21-2004 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FusionAcid
I have a 2000 max aswell. I have noticed that my right taillight sometimes stops working aswell. I noticed it go out like 4 months ago, and only happened 1 time since then. I just shook the wire harness around until it started working and didn't touch it again. let me know what ur situation is. Probably a loose harness aswell. Just wiggle the wires and have someone push the brakes :nod:

I'm glad I'm not the only who's seen this before.

Did you wiggle the connectors to the back of the tailight?

I haven't gotten a chance to look back there but I highly doubt the actual wires are to blame.

DanL 08-21-2004 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by zourtney
I'm glad I'm not the only who's seen this before.

Did you wiggle the connectors to the back of the tailight?

I haven't gotten a chance to look back there but I highly doubt the actual wires are to blame.

I had the same problem. Pull out both the right and left connectors, remove the bulbs, and compare the insides of both connectors. When I did that I noticed that two of the contacts in the problem connector were bent (hard to notice unless you compare it to a good one). Once I bent the contacts back into place and reinserted the bulb, the problem disappeared. I had never replaced the bulb before so the connector must have been bad from the factory .

zourtney 08-21-2004 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DanL
Once I bent the contacts back into place and reinserted the bulb, the problem disappeared.

Thanks, I'll get to this when I get back home. I'm on vacation, so my car's on the other side of the country! ... sniff, sniff... I miss her.... Anyways, I'm glad to see this isn't an electrical issue, whew!