5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima vs. Murano brakes - Murano feels better...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

Maxima vs. Murano brakes - Murano feels better...

Driving back to back my Max and a Murano i noticed that the Murano brakes engage pretty quickly - in fact i have to be light on my feet when using the brakes since it works pretty well.

On my Max however, with relatively new fluid, PBR MM pads and Powerslots i have to push it down quite a bit more to feel any of that "instant" response - and have to push even harder to actually stop.

However, between both vehicles - the Murano brakes seem to give up that strong brake feel after a certain point of engagement but the Maxima would stop hard. (e.g. fade vs. no fade?).

Oh, and on the Max - the PBR's are adequately warmed up in all instances and both pads and rotors have been broken in properly. Been over 1500 miles since then.

Any ideas? Even when i had the OEM brake set-up it was never that quick to brake.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think I know what you mean... the Maxima's brake master cylinder is probably different. (maybe smaller?) so it takes more pedal travel to get the pads clampin'
Try Stainless Steel braided brake hoses, they should firm it up a little... probably won't change the initial point of engagement, but in my experiences they firm up the brakes fast after you've pushed the pedal far enough to engage them.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Driving back to back my Max and a Murano i noticed that the Murano brakes engage pretty quickly - in fact i have to be light on my feet when using the brakes since it works pretty well.

On my Max however, with relatively new fluid, PBR MM pads and Powerslots i have to push it down quite a bit more to feel any of that "instant" response - and have to push even harder to actually stop.

However, between both vehicles - the Murano brakes seem to give up that strong brake feel after a certain point of engagement but the Maxima would stop hard. (e.g. fade vs. no fade?).

Oh, and on the Max - the PBR's are adequately warmed up in all instances and both pads and rotors have been broken in properly. Been over 1500 miles since then.

Any ideas? Even when i had the OEM brake set-up it was never that quick to brake.

Hey soundmike, I recently purchase a Murano and I have the same impression with the Murano, the brake are tight and smooth,
I think it's because the Murano have bigger brake disk and Master Cylinder.

When I go back in the max the feeling is very different though, that's why I'm lurking toward the big brake for the max.

Cheers

AA
Old 11-06-2004, 06:24 AM
Very sound, Mike

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad to know that it's not just me feeling the difference.

If the Master Cylinder is the culprit, wouldn't going with a BBK even make it "softer" now that the same small cylinder is pushing more pistons?

I'll check on the SS Braided lines. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:17 AM

The SS braided lines will improve the pedal feel noticeably. I current have it for a few months.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Look what they put in the rear of that Murano
Old 11-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your brake pads play a huge role with stopping power, fade and initial grab. Your running rotors and pads that are more performance oriented. They will not have that initial grab, but will stop you better under more agressive circumstances. The Murano has brakes setup more twards the everyday driver. Your Maxima's stock brakes were that way as well. Drive a Maxima with stock rotors and a simple semi metalic pad and you'll see how well those brakes grab with much less pedal pressure then yours have. One the other hand, that setup will fade quickly under agressive driving conditions.

It's a trade off.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Look what they put in the rear of that Murano

I'll check later but what to look ?

AA
Old 11-07-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Your brake pads play a huge role with stopping power, fade and initial grab. Your running rotors and pads that are more performance oriented. They will not have that initial grab, but will stop you better under more agressive circumstances. The Murano has brakes setup more twards the everyday driver. Your Maxima's stock brakes were that way as well. Drive a Maxima with stock rotors and a simple semi metalic pad and you'll see how well those brakes grab with much less pedal pressure then yours have. One the other hand, that setup will fade quickly under agressive driving conditions.

It's a trade off.
I agree with you that it is a trade off. On my max I have dimpled slotted rotor, ss brake line, motul oil and ceramic pads, so I dont expect the max to have smooth brake, my guess is with BB it will just increase that.

Cheers

AA
Old 11-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

It's a trade off.
I was aware of that when i upgraded my rotors and pads, but as i mentioned above even when i had my OEM set-up it wasn't that good to begin with.

Granted it's a trade-off but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soundmike
I was aware of that when i upgraded my rotors and pads, but as i mentioned above even when i had my OEM set-up it wasn't that good to begin with.

Granted it's a trade-off but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds.
If there's some kind of brake master cylinder upgrade for our cars, it'd probably do the trick. I wouldn't know where to start though.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:41 PM

i like the max feel over the murano. has anyone driven a G35, the brakes are tight as hell. its nice when you are doing some spirited driving but i dont like it on the highway. the murano seems to be a good balence of both. just my opinion