5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

People with Cattman exhaust step inside plz.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Mass_Media™

People with Cattman exhaust step inside plz.....

Just a question....I have noticed that after my cattman exhaust was put on that my car doesn't start as well in cold weather than it did with my stock. Is this normal? I just noticed it this morning it was 21 degrees (my car said) so I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem
Old 02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

negative. Granted I'm not always starting at low temperatures but we've had some days in the teens since I installed headers and no problem.

Do you have full Cattman exhaust (headers to muffler)? I'm running stock catback but doubt the exhaust will cause your starting issues.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Need A Light?

No issues here....i'm running BERK/APEX-i and cattman catback....soon to be cattman headers+catback.....but as of now just the catback.....the initial startup feels stock with the cattman catback....my revs don't seem any different if u ask me...

this might sound weird....but I get a weird ticking noise from my cattman exhaust rear BPIPE area.....this is when the car is stationary....and during idle or even when the car is turned off....let me repeat...EVEN WITH THE CAR TURNED ON OR OFF, u can hear the ticking noise....there was a thread awhile back about this....but was wondering if anybody else experiences this besides me? I forgot the other dude's name that experiences the ticking...i dont think he posts anymore
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM

That's really weird, steven88. I just installed my rear section, the rest of the cat-back is waiting in my garage cause I dont have the gaskets or bolts right now. Anyway, I live in AZ so I don't konw about cold weather. Mass Media, that picture in your sig is awesome!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:00 PM

When it's really cold, my car doesn't start as quick, it's the high octane gas... Doesn't start as easy in the cold. The ticking sound-- does it sound like metal expansion sound? More like popping?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ticking.........

The ticking your hearing on our Cattman Catbacks is just the stainless steel contracting/expanding at idle or when you shut it off. The steel is just cooling off. No worrys
Old 02-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by elchino
negative. Granted I'm not always starting at low temperatures but we've had some days in the teens since I installed headers and no problem.

Do you have full Cattman exhaust (headers to muffler)? I'm running stock catback but doubt the exhaust will cause your starting issues.
Catback exhaust thats it
Old 02-10-2005, 07:40 AM

It might just be bad luck that your starter messed up the same time your exhaust was installed. Not likely though.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by AcerX
It might just be bad luck that your starter messed up the same time your exhaust was installed. Not likely though.
Its starts fine in warm weather.....I only have problems in cold weather
Old 02-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Cletus

mine does the same thing (y-pipe + straight pipe) and its due to lack of backpressure. thats good when driving but not when starting on cold days.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Need A Light?

Okay....everybody says that its the metal contracting/expanding....but why does it still tick when my car is 100% fully warmed up from 1hr of daily driving? It happens anywhere I go...whether its at start up, daily driving, @ idle, and even when I shut off the car....I understand if I shut off the car and the ticking happens....then It's probably the metal contracting....but can anybody explain why it happens when its at idle and fully warmed up? Btw its a LOUD ticking....can be heard from really far....and no it's not another problem I have....I closely examine the exhaust and the ticking is coming from the REAR BPIPE SECTION...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by steven88
Okay....everybody says that its the metal contracting/expanding....but why does it still tick when my car is 100% fully warmed up from 1hr of daily driving? It happens anywhere I go...whether its at start up, daily driving, @ idle, and even when I shut off the car....I understand if I shut off the car and the ticking happens....then It's probably the metal contracting....but can anybody explain why it happens when its at idle and fully warmed up? Btw its a LOUD ticking....can be heard from really far....and no it's not another problem I have....I closely examine the exhaust and the ticking is coming from the REAR BPIPE SECTION...
Maybe a hanger is loose? Vibration is causing a portion of the pipe to bump against something else?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Need A Light?

Nope...checked all hangers and they were fine...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:23 AM

Once agan........

Once again it is just the steel expanding/contracting. The second you come to a stop either at a stop light or parking or where ever you are no longer moving, your steel quickly starts to cool that is why you here the ticking. You will notice this less the hotter it is outside. It will still be there but alot less noticable. when the car is moving exhaust gases are flowing rapidly "Very Hot" now when you stop or are at idle the exhaust gases are flowing very slowly not as hot hence the cooling. This is much more the case when it is cold outside. There is nothing to worry about. Happens with all catbacks that are stainless steel.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Yea, the ticking/POPING sounds can get lound. And you said it yourself, rear B pipe section. It's still the exhaust. hang around and see if it's coming from the exhaust. If it is, then it just what Kevon1 said, exhaust expansion/contraction. So cars tick and pop really loud and frequent. Older Toyotas, Nissans, basically older Japanese cars. Maybe it does this more with Stainless Steel. Maybe it contracts and expands more then mild steel.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Need A Light?

I can accept the fact of this whole steel contracting/expanding issue....it's totally agreeable....but how come other people don't step in and say they have it? All the other members with Cattman Exhausts never said anything bout ticking noises....I'm pretty sure Mass Media doesn't have it (or it's not as loud as mine) cuz he never complained about it....right?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:36 PM

I can accept the fact of this whole steel contracting/expanding issue....it's totally agreeable....but how come other people don't step in and say they have it? All the other members with Cattman Exhausts never said anything bout ticking noises....I'm pretty sure Mass Media doesn't have it (or it's not as loud as mine) cuz he never complained about it....right?

i have to agree, the only time i get popping and ticking from my Saab SS exhaust it when i get on the gas pedal for a little while and i get back home and get out... thats how my fience knows i had fun...

but it is not that loud, if i walk away 10ft i cannot hear it. and i dont hear it when the car is on. i would pull apart the b-pipe and look inside... and at the gaskets. never know what you might find.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Need A Light?

thanks for the input upstatemax.....and yes my ticking is LOUD....u can hear it from approx 50ft away.....i think even more....and it happens everywhere i go...not just when i warm up the car or turn it off....it happens even during daily driving even WAAY after the car is warmed up and the metal has expanded becuz of the heat....

anyway who else has this problem? or is it just me? Maybe I can call Brian Catts to see if he can solve this problem
Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 AM

I was going to say maybe you should call Cattman, and see if they may have an answer.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
mjg

it's not a big deal, i have the same thing.

it's that your using stock hangers, not some fancy aftermarket ones. If you really wanna get particular about every tick yer car makes, it can make u nuts. Once you start modding the car, this is what happens... I'd focus on other issues before soemthing as trivial as the ticking.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Mass_Media™

Mine ticks like what you describ I never brought it up because I just figured it was the steel expanding and stuff like that
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mjg
it's not a big deal, i have the same thing.

it's that your using stock hangers, not some fancy aftermarket ones. If you really wanna get particular about every tick yer car makes, it can make u nuts. Once you start modding the car, this is what happens... I'd focus on other issues before soemthing as trivial as the ticking.

you should not be able to hear it from 50 feet away though...

something is wrong if he can hear it while driving, and if something is wrong i would like to know what it is before i get my cattman catt back...