Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Progress coilovers VS. Tein SS coilovers (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/287568-progress-coilovers-vs-tein-ss-coilovers.html)

Maxima-Ness 03-04-2005 11:21 AM

Progress coilovers VS. Tein SS coilovers

So I just talked to Brain Catts (Cattman Performance), (he thanks everyone for our support!) and he says that the Progress coilovers are better then the Tein SS coilovers. He backed up his opinion very well, but I cant find any information online about the progress coilovers. Does anyone here have the progress coilovers on thier Max???

2kprlmax 03-04-2005 12:06 PM

what was his reasoning behind them being better than the TEIN SS

Maxima-Ness 03-04-2005 12:30 PM

From what I can remember, he said that the Progress ones were built and tested for the best performance to fit our Maximas. He said that although the Tein has a 16 way dampening adjustment, he just saw that as not an option but as proof they (Tein) doesnt know what setting is best.

:confused:

BlackBIRDVQ 03-04-2005 12:33 PM

Cause every driver has diff needs as far as stiffness of their vehicles ride.... thats why they put 15 way adjustments on JIC, TEIN, Kei Office, HKS, Apexi, Cusco, Tanabe, KG/mm, GAB coilovers in Japan. For 1000+ bux it better offer some adjustability, or I'm better off with Monroe Sensatracs.

BEJAY1 03-04-2005 12:35 PM

I have the Progress as Tein wouldn't custom build the SS for my A32 and support it. Each has it's own benefits.

Cattman - quieter and smoother mounts for street, slightly stiffer springs than Tein, no oncar damping adjustability, affordable rebuild support, approx 4" height adjustment range

Tein - pilowballs avail for performance but harsher, better anti-corrosion coating, 16x adjustment if you know how to set it, only 1.5"-2" height adjustment

I should add that I didn't want to have to mess around with damping settings and just wanted to drive hard. In summer I run revalved Progress struts in 700lb/450lb springs, with both reworked Stillen camber plates and bolts

Maxima-Ness 03-04-2005 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I have the Progress as Tein wouldn't custom build the SS for my A32 and support it. Each has it's own benefits.

Cattman - quieter and smoother mounts for street, slightly stiffer springs than Tein, no oncar damping adjustability, affordable rebuild support, approx 4" height adjustment range

Tein - pilowballs avail for performance but harsher, better anti-corrosion coating, 16x adjustment if you know how to set it, only 1.5"-2" height adjustment

I should add that I didn't want to have to mess around with damping settings and just wanted to drive hard. In summer I run revalved Progress struts in 700lb/450lb springs, with both reworked Stillen camber plates and bolts

So if the option presented itself, would you buy the Tein? I actually like the option of the EDFC and the adjustable dampening, and I know TEIN is a great product.

I dont even want to get into the camber plates...

BEJAY1 03-05-2005 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
So if the option presented itself, would you buy the Tein? I actually like the option of the EDFC and the adjustable dampening, and I know TEIN is a great product.

I dont even want to get into the camber plates...

Yes I would. Try to get em for 10%-20% off MSRP if you can.