Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Water in the AE side skirts?!? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/293829-water-ae-side-skirts.html)

Skizza20 03-31-2005 12:31 PM

Water in the AE side skirts?!?

Alright, I'm not sure how this happened, but over this past winter I had been driving around with the radio off and I heard what sounded like ice sliding around somewhere under the passenger side of my car when I would hit the brakes. I thought maybe some packed snow was rubbing against the tires and that was it, so I let it go.

Then on a warmer day I noticed the sound of water sloshing around during braking and accelleration. I thought maybe my windshield washer fluid was low and I could hear it sloshing in the reservoir. I topped it off and the sound was still there.

When I had to re-attach my drivers side side skirt (the adhesive/clips just gave way for some reason), I noticed that THAT skirt had quite a bit of water in it too! The kicker is that there are no exposed holes anywhere in the panels. There are two very small holes that are covered by the 3M tape that holds the side skirt in place, but that's it. I have no idea how the water got there or how to get it out of the passenger side skirt without taking the thing off. Well, I could drill a hole in the bottom of it, but it's not doing anything bad right now, I guess I'll just see if it evaporates when it gets warm enough.

Has anyone else ever seen this?!?

Cliffs Notes: Heard ice/water sloshing around under my car, turns out AE sideskirts are full of water.

I30swimmer 03-31-2005 02:56 PM

drill two holes in the bottom of them away from the front wheels ( near the back) and dont worry about it

Metal Maxima 03-31-2005 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
drill two holes in the bottom of them away from the front wheels ( near the back) and dont worry about it

It's either that of source out the hole where water is getting in. It's either dripping in from the sides or being thrown up in the skirts from the wheels.

Skizza20 04-01-2005 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
It's either that of source out the hole where water is getting in. It's either dripping in from the sides or being thrown up in the skirts from the wheels.

When I took off the drivers side skirt I was trying to figure out how the water got in. The skirts are completely closed except for two small holes (~1/5th of an inch). There is one hole near the front of the skirt, and one near the back. Both of these holes were covered by the 3M tape that is used to hold them in place. My ONLY guess as to how water got in these things is water seeping THROUGH the tape slowly over time. If you've ever seen the tape, it's almost like rubber, so it surprises me that water would find it's way through it. Still, that's the only point of entry.