Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Yet another retrofit (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/302046-yet-another-retrofit.html)

SixxOne 05-12-2005 11:27 PM

Yet another retrofit

Yep, another retro fit using Dr. Roys write up. MDX projectors, Philips Ultinon 6000K, matsushi.ta ballasts, 20K LEDs in the halos and flood light parking and turn signal covers. Thanks ChromeSE5 for hooking up my headlights. Highly HIGHLY recommended MOD for 00-01 owners. Pictures coming soon.

OhOhMax 05-13-2005 12:19 AM

Waiting for the pics.... :)

NmexMAX 05-13-2005 12:52 AM

exactly .. ^^^And why don't you recommend this mod to 02-03 owners?

ChromeSE5 05-13-2005 02:09 AM

i wouldnt recommend becuase you guys already have HIDS... i mean unless you want the best output then go with a retro. Trust me, the light output puts 2k2 2k3's to shame.

2kVQboodah 05-13-2005 03:49 AM

:worthless

Metal Maxima 05-13-2005 04:20 AM

How much did all of this run? I would imgaine that it was not cheap...

Plyfender 05-13-2005 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
How much did all of this run? I would imgaine that it was not cheap...

Metal.. the process turns out to be a little less expensive than buying 02/03 headlights.

Ebay projectors: $200-250
HID projectors: $115-200 for Bosch e36(3-series projectors)
Capsules and ballasts: $100-150 Phillips components

This retro will take about half a day for the inexperienced.. so i've heard.

2k2/2k3 maximas have some of the worst oem hid lighting on the market, not particularly bad because they use reflector technology.. but because their reflector technology is designed poorly. For quality reflector based technology look at Acura, Lexus, and Mercedes reflectors... which have great output. But even now.. reflector based hid is becoming less and less common on new vehicles. More companies are moving towards projector hid for superior optics and cutoff. Projectors virtually eliminate all oncoming glare and stray light. The light output of this retro will put any 2k2/2k3 headlights to shame. the output of these lights is tremendous, not to mention, a beautiful cutoff line, and GREATT color from your optics and once your capsules colorshift. Unfortunately Nissan didn't decide to use projector lighting until the 6th gen maximas. If you want the best lighting possible for your max then this is the way to go, whether you have 2k2/2k3's or regular halogens.

This is the option for anyone that's very serious about lighting and wants the MAXIMum output. Not hating on 2k2/2k3 lighting.. just stating my .02

AKM2k5 05-13-2005 06:27 AM

make sure you take some really good pics from far away and close by..

SixxOne 05-13-2005 08:14 AM

Pricing:
MDX projectors 60 shipped
Philips Ultinon 6000K 200 shipped
matsushi.ta ballasts 160 shipped
20K LEDs in the halos 20 shpped
Other hardware 20 picked up
Projector Headlights 240 shipped
Total: about 700

Mind that all these parts were brand new and not used. You can pick up used bulbs for a lot less money, I mean a lot less. The only reason they cost so much is that they are 6000k and Ultinons. You can find better prices on different ballast as well, if your lucky. Dr. Roy said he did his for about 500.

I know there is going to a lot of hate for this, but I would rather have these than 02-03 HIDs. I really don't care what any one says, these lights look real good in person. ChromeSe5, his cousin and I were very impressed how we lit up the whole block. The halo could be better, but you can't even see them because the D2S bulbs are so bright.

As far as the pics go, I will take some day time shots when I get home from work (yes, I am at work) and some later tonight. It is hard to take pics of them from far away because the are bright. It looks like a blur.

96maxi 05-13-2005 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Plyfender
Metal.. the process turns out to be a little less expensive than buying 02/03 headlights.

Ebay projectors: $200-250
HID projectors: $115-200 for Bosch e36(3-series projectors)
Capsules and ballasts: $100-150 Phillips components

where did you get the projectors and ballast from....i just bought a pair of the projector housing and trying find some projectors that fit...thanks

SixxOne 05-13-2005 08:28 AM

http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287 for projectors options

eBay is where i bought everythng.

IWNTMORHP!! 05-13-2005 09:00 AM

anyone gonna hop onboard and make these and sell em? i smell a hot product to replace the highly sought after (by theives) 02-03 hid's

Iron Scimitar 05-13-2005 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
anyone gonna hop onboard and make these and sell em? i smell a hot product to replace the highly sought after (by theives) 02-03 hid's

would you pay at least 700 bucks for a set of those? I wouldn't.

700 bucks for parts alone, and i'm thinking at least 50-100 bucks for a profit. So actually it'd be about 750-800 bucks for a set of projectors to be mass produced.

Metal Maxima 05-13-2005 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar

700 bucks for parts alone, and i'm thinking at least 50-100 bucks for a profit. So actually it'd be about 750-800 bucks for a set of projectors to be mass produced.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/word.gif

Or for $550 I can add 6000K HIDs to my 5th gen head AND foglights...

BudVlad 05-13-2005 09:47 AM

Because my Mickey Mouse projectors suck even with the Xenon conversion I ordered complete Bosch kit from HIDPlanet. The complete kit is $419. It’s in the mail and I can’t wait to install it.

Metal Maxima 05-13-2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BudVlad
Because my Mickey Mouse projectors suck even with the Xenon conversion I ordered complete Bosch kit from HIDPlanet. The complete kit is $419. It’s in the mail and I can’t wait to install it.

Fomr your sig, it seems to indicate that you have 5.5 gen lights...someone tried putting projectors in there and it would up looking like to Terminator...why not just go DDE?

ChromeSE5 05-13-2005 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BudVlad

ur **** is gonna be bright as hell!

BudVlad 05-13-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Fomr your sig, it seems to indicate that you have 5.5 gen lights...someone tried putting projectors in there and it would up looking like to Terminator...why not just go DDE?

No my lights are the cheap projectors.

SixxOne 05-13-2005 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar

Somebody didn't read. If you read a little more, you will see Dr. Roy spent 500 for his. As for Metal Maxima, you can buy those kits. I hope you have fun blinding other drivers and not being able to see sh.it on the road.

IWNTMORHP!! 05-13-2005 04:22 PM

any pics of these yet? just a bit impatient i guess!

Rob01ski 05-13-2005 04:26 PM

Projectors = RICE RICE RICE spend the extra cash and get the 2k2 headlights and ddes looks so much better, Projectors are for HONDAS lol

Plyfender 05-13-2005 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob01ski
Projectors = RICE RICE RICE spend the extra cash and get the 2k2 headlights and ddes looks so much better, Projectors are for HONDAS lol

hey rob.. we're not exactly talking about simply adding projectors... we're talking about the benefits of retrofitting projectors. The light output of a modded projector is much better than that of the maxima 2k2 lights. This lighting mod is for people serious about great lighting.. not about being "ricey"... You are obviously not an appreciator of quality lighting. Btut if i'm wrong and you are... Check out Hidforum.com for some info if you're interested unleashing the full lighting potential of your setup... I don't think that I or anyone else that's posted on this thread is advocating crappy HID KITS.. that are common on "RICEY" cars. We drive a maxima just like you, we just want the best for our cars and for visibility on the road...

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...100801-med.JPG

if you think cutoff and output like this.. looks "RICEY".. i think you're pretty stupid... Next time do a favor to everyone before you start dissing good, hard ingenuity.. and read the entire thread.

p.s. the pic is of a modded e-code shield in a Vaelo (A4)projector lens.

john5820 05-13-2005 05:57 PM

I would love to do this, If I have the know how.

Plyfender 05-13-2005 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by john5820
I would love to do this, If I have the know how.

like i said.. if you're interested in having light output and cuttoff like i posted above, go to hidforum.com and start snooping around... you'll learn quite alot. If you snoop around, and figure that the job isn't for you.. then it's easy to find people on that site that will do the retro for you.. for a reasonable price. For specifics on retrofitting to a maxima.. you should refer to Dr.Roy's how to. it's very informative. If you go to cardomain.com.. and search member names type in DrRoy, or Dr.Roy or something like that. and his webpage should come up. He retroed some MDX projectors into his maxima. but now i think he's working on putting in some Bosch E36 projectors (3series). Hidforum.com is great!

john5820 05-13-2005 06:49 PM

You know what, Im kinda drunk now, and I might just order these.
Hell, I am gonna order these now.
What looks good on a stock white? Black or chrome?

SixxOne 05-13-2005 07:16 PM

:russ: we ain't talking about some kit in some headlights. Its REAL OEM quality products (not no autozone crap), with brighter and better light output. I could have bought some used 02-03 headlights, but the light output is hardly an average step up from halogen. However, my projectors a giant step up from halogen. (I am talking light output). Don't get me wrong the 02-03's look very nice with DDEs, even without. Do you even know what you are talking about?

Originally Posted by Rob01ski

As far as what color to buy, I like the chrome on black cars

Rob01ski 05-13-2005 07:29 PM

Ahhhhhh can you guys read maybe i should quote or caps or italisize everything i type, i said that they LOOK RICE RICE so hey :doublethu and then :sprint2:

john5820 05-13-2005 07:33 PM

I guess these might be called "sleeper" headlights.

alicious 05-14-2005 04:41 AM

are we ever going to see any pics??

wcasskicker 05-14-2005 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
Pricing:
MDX projectors 60 shipped
Philips Ultinon 6000K 200 shipped
matsushi.ta ballasts 160 shipped
20K LEDs in the halos 20 shpped
Other hardware 20 picked up
Projector Headlights 240 shipped
Total: about 700

Mind that all these parts were brand new and not used. You can pick up used bulbs for a lot less money, I mean a lot less. The only reason they cost so much is that they are 6000k and Ultinons. You can find better prices on different ballast as well, if your lucky. Dr. Roy said he did his for about 500.

I know there is going to a lot of hate for this, but I would rather have these than 02-03 HIDs. I really don't care what any one says, these lights look real good in person. ChromeSe5, his cousin and I were very impressed how we lit up the whole block. The halo could be better, but you can't even see them because the D2S bulbs are so bright.

As far as the pics go, I will take some day time shots when I get home from work (yes, I am at work) and some later tonight. It is hard to take pics of them from far away because the are bright. It looks like a blur.

time to change my crappy projectors!!!!

john5820 05-14-2005 05:42 AM

Just bought these lights, now all I need now are some mdx projectors so I can do what ChromeSE5 did to his.

Plyfender 05-14-2005 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by alicious
are we ever going to see any pics??

HERe's pics of Dr. Roy's retro man.. You could do a search on here and see these...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...straighton.jpg

his modded ebay projector with MDX projectors(IMO better off spending another 40 bucks for real HID projectors like e36, valeo, or s2000). But it's very clean.. and very nice. NOT "RICEY" at all.

here's a pic of his DOT shield cutoff. (I prefer the sloping cutoff of ECE though)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1swbwwptch.jpg

here's a pic of his cutoff from about 25ft.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ustedclose.jpg

here's a pic I love of some Z8 projectors.. i'd love to put these in my car.. if i could afford some.. or FIND THEM!

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/dat...8prjts_001.jpg

p.s ROB01ski.. we all read what you said.. and understand what you are trying to say... But if you think that bmw, lexus, acura, and even nissan have started using projectors in their car because they're "RICEY".. then i think you're still dumb.. You're not exactly hearing what we're saying.. when we say.. "INCREASING LIGHT OUTPUT"... "RICEY" imo would mean getting these projectors and simply putting some blue bulbs inside.. Unfortunately there are not quality Projectors made for our cars, but we're doing the best we can by MODDING THEM! Go kick rocks man.

Plyfender 05-15-2005 08:18 AM

Everone was asking for pics.. so i posted them...any thoughts?

rcruise02 05-15-2005 04:14 PM

my mom has an 02 bmw m3 and the output is great. i kinda live oout where its dark so having great light output is awesome. honestly though, after driving her car and then getting into mine, besides the power difference, my max still lights up the road pretty darn well. maybe its just me. i do appreciate having clarity on the road with my lights so more power to all of you wanting the same. if i had the money, i would do the retro upgrade but all i can afford are the 6000k upgrades.

Shogunsc4 05-15-2005 05:02 PM

honestly, the stock HID's looks more classy on our cars (style-wise)...the ebay projectors looks cheesy BUT the quality work that these guys have done here is :thumbsup:. By just looking at the pix...the light output is incredible and puts my 7000k to shame. Good work. I always wished I have projector HID's.

PHSINVENT 05-15-2005 05:37 PM

Does anyone find is strange that Nissan used projectors all the way back in 1990 in the 300zx headlight. I can't think of any other car back then that had a projector headlight. Wonder why they gave up on the projector set-up until 2005.

dominican254 05-15-2005 06:51 PM

im planning to retrofit my lights but im worried i will completey **** everything up how much would some charge for the retrofit

dominican254 05-15-2005 07:52 PM

whoever does these retros i was wondering if they could email at nitin_alcantara@hotmail.com with the info on what i gotta send em and how much would they charge me

PHSINVENT 05-15-2005 09:34 PM

Anyone selling a set of 02-03 factory headlights? Mine were damaged and I need to replace them. I'm almost thinking of getting the black projectors and changing out the projector to accept hid from my factory but I have no clue if the ballasts will work or what. I did see some 04-05 maxima factory projectors on ebay. They appear to be 4" in diameter. Anyone know if the 04-05 maxima projector will accept the 02-03 hid bulb? Any help would be appreciated because new factory lights aren't cheap

SixxOne 05-15-2005 10:04 PM

If you go projector you can't use your 02-03 bulbs