5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power window cable snapped

Old 06-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Power window cable snapped

Hi guys, I was pulling out of my driveway today and put my window up when I heard the motor start to struggle and then the window just dropped to the bottom of the door. i pulled it all apart tonight and found that the window cable had gotten tangled in it's reel and then snapped. I removed the motor, the cable guides and the window guides from inside teh door to inspect. I haven't yet been able to get the cable out of teh window guide. Does it come out? What do I need to buy to fix this (how do the parts come). How hard of a job is it to get the window realigned and the cable all back through the window correctly? How much labour should i expect if I take it to the dealership?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 PM

Not sure about the parts (I think the cable is just one continuous loop so I'm not sure how you would get a new one on there...you may have to buy the whole thing), but assuming you can get that fixed realigning the window is easy. There is actually a button on the motor that you use to set the top and bottom position. The proceedure is in the service manual, or one of us can post it if you need it.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 PM
importuner

the part you need is called a "window regulator". once you get that from nissan or any other source you have, relearning the window motor is pretty simple. some motors (not all) have a black rubber button on the outside which you can press and follow a certain relearning procedure to re-align the glass window. i would get you the exact re-learning steps,but i'm on vacation and not able to go to work to get the pages. good luck!

Old 06-19-2005, 06:19 PM

I have removed the motor from the rest of the equipment, and it seems to work fine. Anybody know if a regulator includes the whole winding cable section? It would need to include the guide that the window slides up and down on as well as the spool the the window motor connects to and powers. how much should this cost?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Call up your local dealer and ask the parts department or just go there in person. I'm looking at www.jerryromenissan.com and looking at the door window regulator. Its 84.99 but have no idea what it comes with.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:23 PM

OK, I picked up the new regulator today and need to install it tonight. Do you have any insight/tips for the install? What is the procedure to program the motor?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM

I got everything back in and working with the exception of the window needing to re-learn the top and bottom stops. Anybody have any insight? My motor does have the rubber teat for re-programming it. If anyone has any tips to make the window run smoother up and down, please share. Thanks, Andrew
Old 06-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Anybody? I would like to get this thinkg back together tonight so that I can drive a car in one piece tomorrow
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ojman
I have removed the motor from the rest of the equipment, and it seems to work fine. Anybody know if a regulator includes the whole winding cable section? It would need to include the guide that the window slides up and down on as well as the spool the the window motor connects to and powers. how much should this cost?
the window regulator is one unit--can not buy any parts for it seperatly. it would be best just to replace it. they get kinda expensive at the dealer--im not sure if any waranty pays for it.
also if you install a new one--and you have the auto feature--if you roll up with the auto and the window rolls up and then back down a couple of inches--the motor needs to be reprogramed--if that happens mail me back and ill coach you through it
Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 PM

That is exactly where I am at. Can you provide me the instructions?

Search this Thread