5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

where can I get a key and key fob for cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:59 PM

where can I get a key and key fob for cheap?

are there other places other than the dealer that I can get these parts?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM

I'm not sure if Maximas have a chip in the key, if not you can get a copy made at a hardware store or something. You can at least get a key that will work in the door that way. I keep such a key in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the car.

As far as the fob...if you could buy them at a place other than the dealer, that'd make it easier to steal cars don't you think?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bkucera
As far as the fob...if you could buy them at a place other than the dealer, that'd make it easier to steal cars don't you think?
Are you kidding? Keyfobs are readily available outside of dealerships. You still have to program them to your specific car.

Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/2003-nissan-k...jsZ1QQfromZR40

Just realized you have a 2001. Just search eBay for a 00-01 Nissan keyfob and you'll get similar results.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Keys can be bought outside of dealerships: To program them however, you usually have to take all of the keys to the dealership. They use a Consult II to program the chips in them and they have to program all of them at once.

The remote you can do yourself. The instructions are somewhere on the site. I think in the 5th gen stickies.

Don't ever get your key or keyfob from the dealership as they are way overpriced.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NIssa...WDVWQQtcZphoto

where would I get this key cut at? home depot?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 PM

You could get that key cut at a locksmith. Some locksmiths (although I've never seen one around me) can program the chip. Otherwise, get it cut for cheap at the locksmith, take all your keys (important!) to the dealership and have them program them.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:26 PM

thanks for the words so far. now I am looking for a remote entry fob... must be OEM
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM

00-01 Nissan keyfobs

http://www.keylessremotesforless.com/nissan.htm
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Are you kidding? Keyfobs are readily available outside of dealerships. You still have to program them to your specific car.

Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/2003-nissan-k...jsZ1QQfromZR40

Just realized you have a 2001. Just search eBay for a 00-01 Nissan keyfob and you'll get similar results.
Well I'll be. Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:36 PM

thanks for the link. man, you guys kick some serious behind.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:58 PM

http://www.streetkeys.com/
Old 08-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

got my key here.. they have the remotes also

http://www.nvo.com/chipkeys
Old 08-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Okay stop the madness. I went through this myself and here is my input.

First the key. The dealer charges I believe 50 for the key and 50 to program the key.

Call any locksmith. Almost every reputable locksmith has a computer to program the keys. They will most likely charge you 50 for the key and to program. I negotiated 75 for 2 keys.

When the program the key make sure the guy waits 5 minutes and retries the key again. The locksmith told me a sensor that picks up the chip will keep the signal in memory for about 5 minutes. Meaning if you use the factory key and then slide an un-programmed key that is cut correctly it will work. However, if it is un-programmed after 5 minutes or when you turn the car off it won’t start it again. (I don’t work for Nissan this is what the locksmith told me.)

Why does it cost so much? The programmer costs a locksmith 5K per unit. On top of that it is 1K each year for the new key codes. That is a lot of keys just to break even

Make sure you try it in the trunk as well.

The remotes. Buy them off ebay. I got mine 2 for 19.99 and the guy included instructions. They are very simple to program. Make sure you get the Maxima one and not the one for the quest or pathfinder. Again the dealer wanted 100 for the fob and 45 to program it. It really takes about 3 minutes to do this. I posted the instructions in here a long time ago so do a google search for them.

Here you go, a set of two I looked up for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-02-...91425197QQrdZ1

Here are the programming instructions
IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door
Old 08-11-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by bigsherv
Okay stop the madness. I went through this myself and here is my input.
Stop the madness? What I said is basically the same thing as what you are saying except you got your stuff programmed at a locksmith. The four locksmiths I called around my area did not have the machine to program the chip. I've also worked for a Nissan dealership so I've seen the procedure personally. I was not sure how the locksmiths do it, now I do. Thanks for your input, but no need to imply that the other posts in this thread are wrong.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just programmed a remote the other day. I is very very easy and you'd be a fool to let the dealer do it. I need to have a key programmed and my dealer told me 55.00 to program the key ( i already have the key).
Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Ebay

Go to Ebay I bought my Key there and then took it to the dealer for programming. 15.00 for the key 30 to program = 45.00. Bought the key fob on ebay as well 5.00 programmed it myself with instructions I got off Google. Total 50.00 for everything.