5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got my RSB... Damnit, Stillen!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 04:56 PM

FINALLY got my Stillen RSB tonight.

Ok, before I totally overreact to the situation on hand, how many black bolts and nuts should I have? I count 7 bolts and 7 nuts. The packing slip/instructions indicate 8 bolts and 8 nuts (plus two silver bolts and spacers for the e-brake line).

My "WTF?!!!" tirade is locked and loaded but I won't pull the trigger unless someone confirms my fears... that I've been shorted a freakin' nut and bolt.

Thanks in advance.

Sign me,

Soon-to-be one very unhappy camper
Old 05-24-2001, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RcticMax
FINALLY got my Stillen RSB tonight.

Ok, before I totally overreact to the situation on hand, how many black bolts and nuts should I have? I count 7 bolts and 7 nuts. The packing slip/instructions indicate 8 bolts and 8 nuts (plus two silver bolts and spacers for the e-brake line).

My "WTF?!!!" tirade is locked and loaded but I won't pull the trigger unless someone confirms my fears... that I've been shorted a freakin' nut and bolt.

Thanks in advance.

Sign me,

Soon-to-be one very unhappy camper
FIRE ONE!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:05 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Uh oh...
Old 05-24-2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

FIRE ONE!
I'll take that as confirmation.

All right...

Godd@mnit!!! I mean WTF is up with Stillen, huh? I spend well over $200 Godd@mned frickin dollars on their over priced piece of "oooohhh... fine crafted machined wonder" which can kiss my @ss because it doesn't do me one Godd@mned bit of good sitting in my Godd@mned garage becuase I can't install the Godd@mned thing because it's missing Godd@mned HARDWARE! Godd@mnit!

Can't those frickin morons at Stillen count to 8? It's easy... follow me... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... what? I lost ya? Maybe Stillen should get hooked on phonics. They sure as hell are gonna get hooked on my size 10 verbal ****-kickers when all is said and done. That and the 55-gallon drum of verbal whoop-@ss I'm gonna open up on 'em.

Damnit! I am so p!ssed. Can you tell? I mean I wait three freakin' weeks for the damn thing to show up and when it does show up, it doesn't COMPLETELY show up.

Good thing these guys don't work for NASA. "Uh, yeah, sorry about that Shuttle Atlantis, we forgot to ship you that extra bolt for your life support systems".

Sorry for ranting, guys. Once I started, found it hard to stop.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:20 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Doesn't the RSB use 4 bolts and 4 nuts (2 for each clamp)? It's been so long... check out Paul's RSB writeup.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Doesn't the RSB use 4 bolts and 4 nuts (2 for each clamp)? It's been so long... check out Paul's RSB writeup.
Yep... and 4 mounting brackets (two on each side).
Old 05-24-2001, 05:46 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Yep... and 4 mounting brackets (two on each side).
So then you still need 1 nut and bolt?
Old 05-24-2001, 05:48 PM

and take careful note that half the bolts (4) are longer (in case you plan on a mad dash to Home Depot).
Old 05-24-2001, 05:57 PM

stealin just stole 2 bolts from u..
Old 05-24-2001, 06:04 PM
Got Bent?

that really sucks! When you get a mod and can't install it because of something stupid like that, it really ****es you off. I remember when I got my RSB, the brackets were already assembled and put together with all the bolts and spacers, and other hardware.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
that really sucks! When you get a mod and can't install it because of something stupid like that, it really ****es you off. I remember when I got my RSB, the brackets were already assembled and put together with all the bolts and spacers, and other hardware.
Yeah... the funny thing was that the 4 brackets had the 2 nuts and bolts holding them together except for the one which only 1 nut and bolt. Really weird. You figured they would have caught that one.

Nice QC department, eh?
Old 05-24-2001, 06:14 PM

Kev - Yep. Got 7 of each, need one more of each.

Virginia - Thanks, I'm all over that like a cop on a doughnut.

AznWontonboy - See note to Kev.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:16 PM

I think that 8th nut and bolt would have pushed up the weight of the package into the next UPS category and shipping would have cost them extra!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 06:22 PM
Got Bent?

Who did you order it from? Stillen directly? I got mine from Phuong...... www.eatricezone.com
Old 05-24-2001, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Desert Pearl
I think that 8th nut and bolt would have pushed up the weight of the package into the next UPS category and shipping would have cost them extra!!!
Could be. Or perhaps the monkey they have working the parts department dropped his bananna on the floor and lost count.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:27 PM

I'll take that as confirmation.

All right...

Godd@mnit!!! I mean WTF is up with Stillen, huh? I spend well over $200 Godd@mned frickin dollars on their over priced piece of "oooohhh... fine crafted machined wonder" which can kiss my @ss because it doesn't do me one Godd@mned bit of good sitting in my Godd@mned garage becuase I can't install the Godd@mned thing because it's missing Godd@mned HARDWARE! Godd@mnit!

Can't those frickin morons at Stillen count to 8? It's easy... follow me... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... what? I lost ya? Maybe Stillen should get hooked on phonics. They sure as hell are gonna get hooked on my size 10 verbal ****-kickers when all is said and done. That and the 55-gallon drum of verbal whoop-@ss I'm gonna open up on 'em.

Damnit! I am so p!ssed. Can you tell? I mean I wait three freakin' weeks for the damn thing to show up and when it does show up, it doesn't COMPLETELY show up.

Good thing these guys don't work for NASA. "Uh, yeah, sorry about that Shuttle Atlantis, we forgot to ship you that extra bolt for your life support systems".

Sorry for ranting, guys. Once I started, found it hard to stop.
I gotta give you props, man. When you rant and rave, you are good!

Hope everything works out and Stillen prove themselves to the .Org member.

Terrence
Old 05-24-2001, 06:28 PM

Next question...

You think this is something I can find at the Home Depot? I don't want to mess with it if it's going to compromise anything. There is something different about the nuts. They've got this white plastic inner lining toward the outside end (which I assume assists in keeping it snug).

I was hoping to have this on for the weekend. It's doubtful they'll want to send anything Fed-EX Saturday delivery so that means I won't see it until after the holiday.

Damn!

Thanks for letting me vent before. I feel much better now. Cooler heads prevail... whatever the hell THAT'S supposed to mean (yeah, I do know).
Old 05-24-2001, 06:32 PM
Got Bent?

Don't go to home depot and try to find a replacement bolt. Dammitt.....stillen screwed up and you should demand that they send you the missing bolt via next day shipping. The RSB bolts have to be nice and tight fitting.... don't go the ooglie route on this one

\
Old 05-24-2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Don't go to home depot and try to find a replacement bolt. Dammitt.....stillen screwed up and you should demand that they send you the missing bolt via next day shipping. The RSB bolts have to be nice and tight fitting.... don't go the ooglie route on this one

\
No Ooglie?
\

Good point. Well, I gotta go for some other stuff anyway so if I come across a duplicate nut and bolt, I'm goin' for it.

Oh, and if you live in CT and see some @sshole under your Max in a parking lot somewhere this weekend, don't back up over me. I'm just borrowing one of yours. Kidding. I wouldn't do to you what $tealin' did to me.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:38 PM

Thanks, man. Much appreciated. Who knows, maybe I've got a future in journalism writing a consumer protection article for some rag.

Hey, did you wind up getting those horns installed yet? Keep us (me) posted. You know, that brings a thought to mind... on a $14.00 piece like the FIAMM horn, I didn't have anything missing. Go figure. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Not yet, haven't had a chance to stop by Pep Boys. BTW, is there any particular model that I should look for or is there only one? Oh well...I'll get to it.

I agree with UMD, Make Stillen responsible.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Not yet, haven't had a chance to stop by Pep Boys. BTW, is there any particular model that I should look for or is there only one? Oh well...I'll get to it.

I agree with UMD, Make Stillen responsible.
Let me save you the embarassment I went through. The FIAMM Highway Blaster Horns come in two flavors. High and Low tone. Not being anything close to a musician, I didn't put two and two together (God, I sound like I should work at $tealin, eh?) before I asked the guy behind the counter what the "E" and "F" markings were on the package. He said "high and low tone". I said "that's good information, but what does the E and F stand for on the package?" He said "they're high and low tone". I said...

Well you get the picture. It was something right out of Abbot and Costello.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:30 PM

The quality of the Stealin nuts and bolts sucks. You might want to buy high quality non-rusting hardware at the local hardware store anyway.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
The quality of the Stealin nuts and bolts sucks. You might want to buy high quality non-rusting hardware at the local hardware store anyway.
Ahhh... a ray of hope! A voice of reason!

You know, Paul, I... I luv you, man! *opens a Bud Light...pschhhhht*

Old 05-24-2001, 07:44 PM

Re: Next question...

You think this is something I can find at the Home Depot? I don't want to mess with it if it's going to compromise anything. There is something different about the nuts. They've got this white plastic inner lining toward the outside end (which I assume assists in keeping it snug).
You're right, the white plastic lining helps to keep it snug. It's a lock nut, and the plastic is probably nylon.
If you look for a match at the hardware store, make sure the bolt and nut are the same grade (strength) as the ones that came with the RSB. You can tell the grade from the markings on the head of the bolt.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:54 PM

Re: Re: Next question...

Originally posted by ru4real

You're right, the white plastic lining helps to keep it snug. It's a lock nut, and the plastic is probably nylon.
If you look for a match at the hardware store, make sure the bolt and nut are the same grade (strength) as the ones that came with the RSB. You can tell the grade from the markings on the head of the bolt.
The shorter one's have "=CAMCAR" on them and the longer ones have "Y F S". No other markings.

Does this tell you anything?

BTW, the "head" of the bolt is hollow (i.e. you use an allen wrench to help tighten).

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Next question...

The shorter one's have "=CAMCAR" on them and the longer ones have "Y F S". No other markings.

Does this tell you anything?

BTW, the "head" of the bolt is hollow (i.e. you use an allen wrench to help tighten).

Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, those are socket head cap screws made by Textron Fastening Systems. Camcar is one of their brands.
Check out http://www.camcar.textron.com/socket...dataindex.html
for technical data on the screws.
I think I've seen Y F S before, I'd have to look it up in a machinery handbook at work tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That really sucks...

sorry to hear about that, I guess I got lucky mine was at my house in 4 days and all was already put together. The only problem that I have had with Stillen is that they forgot one of the gaskets for the y-pipe, but my local muffler shop was able to make one that they had work. So I got lucky otherwise I would have been without my car for a couple of days, because the whole exhaust was taken apart.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Next question...

Originally posted by ru4real

Yes, those are socket head cap screws made by Textron Fastening Systems. Camcar is one of their brands.
Check out http://www.camcar.textron.com/socket...dataindex.html
for technical data on the screws.
I think I've seen Y F S before, I'd have to look it up in a machinery handbook at work tomorrow.
You da bomb, baby!

Thanks a million!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:25 PM

Re: That really sucks...

Originally posted by nvmymax2
sorry to hear about that, I guess I got lucky mine was at my house in 4 days and all was already put together. The only problem that I have had with Stillen is that they forgot one of the gaskets for the y-pipe, but my local muffler shop was able to make one that they had work. So I got lucky otherwise I would have been without my car for a couple of days, because the whole exhaust was taken apart.
Thanks.

Well, it's not that bad. I mean, I still can cruise with my car, just not that fast around corners .

Anyway, I'm over the anger of it. Now I'm just frustrated. All it takes is a good rant on the board to vent all that negative energy.

Bottom line: maxima.org has therapeutic benefits!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:32 PM

Damn... can't believe I was gone all day and missed this. RCTIC, the reason they couldn't count your bolts is they were too busy counting your money. Tell them you consider it a $50 bolt and want $50 back
Old 05-24-2001, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
Damn... can't believe I was gone all day and missed this. RCTIC, the reason they couldn't count your bolts is they were too busy counting your money. Tell them you consider it a $50 bolt and want $50 back
If only I worked for the government, I just might be able to pull that off!
Old 05-24-2001, 10:16 PM

[B]

Let me save you the embarassment I went through. The FIAMM Highway Blaster Horns come in two flavors. High and Low tone. Not being anything close to a musician, I didn't put two and two together (God, I sound like I should work at $tealin, eh?) before I asked the guy behind the counter what the "E" and "F" markings were on the package. He said "high and low tone". I said "that's good information, but what does the E and F stand for on the package?" He said "they're high and low tone". I said... /B]
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, are you saying that the same horn allows you to choose high or low tone? If so, which one's E and which one's F?
Old 05-24-2001, 10:24 PM

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, are you saying that the same horn allows you to choose high or low tone? If so, which one's E and which one's F?
No more of an idiot than I was.

The horns come in either "E" tone OR "F" tone.

Two different horns.
Two different labels.
Two different packages.
Horns like it: 2.

Old 05-24-2001, 10:25 PM

No more of an idiot than I was.

The horns come in either "E" tone OR "F" tone.

Two different horns.
Two different labels.
Two different packages.
Horns like it: 2.

Nice. So which tone did you choose?
Old 05-24-2001, 10:30 PM

Nice. So which tone did you choose?
"F" but I have no idea whether that's high or low!

Like I said, I'm no musician. When they were handing out musical talent, I thought they said whimiscal talent and went to the restroom instead.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:42 PM

"F" but I have no idea whether that's high or low!

Like I said, I'm no musician. When they were handing out musical talent, I thought they said whimiscal talent and went to the restroom instead.

Got all the whimsical talent you need huh?
Old 05-24-2001, 11:21 PM

Got all the whimsical talent you need huh?
That obvious, huh?
Old 05-25-2001, 02:46 PM

Update on the bolt sit-chi-ation

I went down the the local hardware store today looking for a replacement bolt. The good news is that they had the same manufacturer that $tealin uses when the bother to include the bolts in their shipments. The bad news is that they didn't have the size I needed.

When I explained that I needed a strong bolt with a good tinsel strength (almost sounds like I know what I'm talkin' about, eh?), he pointed me to a "Grade 8" bolt that the farmers in the area use on their equipment and that it was pretty much the strongest thing they had.

I got the nyloc nut so I'm good to go.

So... what do you guys think? Do I go for it and replace it when I get the real McCoy in or do I hang out and wait?

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:54 PM

Re: Update on the bolt sit-chi-ation

So... what do you guys think? Do I go for it and replace it when I get the real McCoy in or do I hang out and wait?

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
First order of business: Mailbomb Stealin'

Second order of business: As long as it is a good fit, I'd say go for it and swap out when you get the OG bolt.

Third order of business: Drive very fast and enjoy your RSB.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Update on the bolt sit-chi-ation

That grade 8 bolt is probably the strongest one of the bunch. Just go ahead and do it. As for trying to get Stillen to fix it, you have two choices:
1) Rant and rave at Stillen for weeks or months while your RSB sits there uninstalled.
2) Just pay maybe $3 max and get some extra hardware from the store and be done with it in one day.

It's up to you. Yeah Stillen made a mistake but geez, it's only one bolt and nut. In this case, the problem is not worth the bloodpressure! Let me tell you about this guy who ordered a RSB from Cattman.....

I went down the the local hardware store today looking for a replacement bolt. The good news is that they had the same manufacturer that $tealin uses when the bother to include the bolts in their shipments. The bad news is that they didn't have the size I needed.

When I explained that I needed a strong bolt with a good tinsel strength (almost sounds like I know what I'm talkin' about, eh?), he pointed me to a "Grade 8" bolt that the farmers in the area use on their equipment and that it was pretty much the strongest thing they had.

I got the nyloc nut so I'm good to go.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Got my RSB... Damnit, Stillen!!!!!