5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Prolumen HID Fog Kit Install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Prolumen HID Fog Kit Install help

I know everyone seems to think its pretty straight forward but I need help. Umnitza does'nt have a write up for it on his site and... the info on here about installing it is shady at best.
Can anyone post pics or a link I can use to get the Prolumen HID Fog Kit installed properly? Help would be much appreciated. Thanx....

Deac
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Deac
I know everyone seems to think its pretty straight forward but I need help. Umnitza does'nt have a write up for it on his site and... the info on here about installing it is shady at best.
Can anyone post pics or a link I can use to get the Prolumen HID Fog Kit installed properly? Help would be much appreciated. Thanx....

Deac
I posted this in the Helios group deal thread. Let me also say i have no idea if this is the same for the Prolumen kit, but Zippin's insturctions should help you out.:

"I think anyone interested in the H3 HID kit, should know that for proper installation, the kit is not "plug and play". While the kit will technically work as a plug and play application, it will not be safe.

There is a stock harness that needs to be reused that runs through the back cap of the foglight. In order to reuse the cap, you need to cut the stock harness. Additionally you need to either dremmel the cap or cut the new HID harness in order to get it to fit through the cap.

Please see: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/176970/4 (Thanks to Zippin), to see what installation actually requires.

In order for the kit to be plug and play, you'd have to forego the use of the backing cap of the foglight, which prevents water and dirt from gettting into the foglight housing."
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM

the kit that you need is the H3C bulb kit right??
Old 10-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Donovan call me at 718 359 7443/4
Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 AM
KH3 by popular demand

There is a lighting faq link in my sig, check it for wiring diagrams. I would not put hid ballasts on a car without an upgraded wiring harness, ballasts can pull around 80 amps on start up/warm up. There is more info on hidplanet.com/forums.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

look for Housecor's links for install.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 AM

still need pics and wiring instructions.

Thanx for the link and to those who chimed in... still need help w/the prolumen kit install. Better pics or a link to get it done. That lik on here is cool and it helped but it dosnt show too much about the wiring. Help asap would be apprecited.

Deac
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 AM

i am confused as to what you dont understand??

the wires are all plug and play?????

there is no possible way to screw it up
Old 11-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jeepik
i am confused as to what you dont understand??

the wires are all plug and play?????

there is no possible way to screw it up

If it was that easy, it would been done a while ago. Instead of installing it incorrectly and having to pull it back down and redo it... I want to do it right the 1st time. Jeepik you have a pm!

Let me see if I can elaborate a bit.... when you take the back case off the foglight, theres a red and black wire in there. The transformer that comes with the Prolumen kit also has red and black loose wires that have to be connected. The back cover of the fog has the red wire with like a plug so I believe you just plug the red wire from the Prolumen transformer into that. The black wire in both the back fog cover and the transformer are both loose now...are they both just ground wires? The one in the cover was screwed to the housing itself but the black wire from the transformer.... should I ground that somewhere else in the car or connect it at the same point in the housing? Not sure what to do with those 4 loose wires! You're right the rest is plug and play and pretty straight forward.... but i want to be right before I put it in the car.

Holla back...

Deac
Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 AM

yes you are correct

take the two wires( black and red, out of the back of the housing and plg them into the prolumen plugs, thats it, i used a lot of electrical tape to cover the extra wiring since there is a bunch of extra, nothing to it
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 AM

The loose red and black wires from the prolumen transformer... are you saying you dont need them? just plug in the 2 connectors from the kit and thats all or what? Or.... do I plug the red wire from the transformer into the red from the back cover of the fog housing and the black to ground? Please elaborate.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM

Got it!

Thanx to all those who got in touch w/me to help out.... I appreciate it. Just to finally clear the record up and for all the leyman who may need a little extra help...Most of the kit is plug and play and you'll have no trouble matching the connectors up....When you're done w/the connectors, there will be a red and black wire that are loose and dont appear to have a home. The red wire from the Prolumen kit connects to the red power cord on the back housing of the fog-light. The black wire is just a ground that you'll place somewhere against bare metal when you re-install the fog-light. Thats it!!!

Everyone assumes that its very easy to install and needs no explanation at all. For the most part, it is but for those who are'nt familiar w/wiring at and may need a little extra instruction, hope this explanation helps. See the rest of you phools in the spring!

Deac