5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smoked(black) projectors with hid set up?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM

Smoked(black) projectors with hid set up?

I am considering buying a projector set off ebay (smoked one with angel eyes) and then doing an HID conversion for my lights. I was wondering if anyone has done this? How do they like it? Also, since its a projector would be okay to add HID to this? I was considering doing 2002-2003 conversion but I figure these look better and then I can buy the HID to the color I want.

V
Old 11-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vman
I am considering buying a projector set off ebay (smoked one with angel eyes) and then doing an HID conversion for my lights. I was wondering if anyone has done this? How do they like it? Also, since its a projector would be okay to add HID to this? I was considering doing 2002-2003 conversion but I figure these look better and then I can buy the HID to the color I want.

V
If you get projectors i feel that you will be disappointed in the output even with a conversion kit. Unfortunately the projectors that are mounted inside of the housings have a funny shape that creates horrible hotspots on the ground.I have the projector headlights, but rather than simply use a "plug and play" conversion kit, i retrofitted my lights with a pair of Bosch E46(Bmw 3series) projectors with phillips ballasts and osram 4300k bulbs. Although this may sound more intensive, it is much more worth it. I highly advise you to not buy "colored" hid bulbs.. the maximum kelvin rating on ALL oem lighting aplications is 4300k (i.e. bmw, mercedes, audi, etc..). Going over this rating simply lowers lighting output. The cool color that you see from afar in bmw and mercedes.. is not the bulb color itself.. but the color band of the projector cutoff. If you would like pics or have any questions send me a message
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 AM

This whole retrofit procedure can get expensive and annyoing lol
Its worth it so much though when you drive at night.

If you are doing this. They have on ebay projectors for sale. The best one I think which is also what I have is the TSX projectors. They could get expensive but its worth to spend money on these projectors because thats what makes the light spread on the road infront of you and you want it to be top quality with a nice color at the cutoff.

I saw for 500 dollars NEW Acura TSX projectors with NEW OEM Acura Bulbs and ballasts on ebay. You get something like that and buy a the cheap ebay headlights from ebay and either find someone to put the TSX projectors or do it yourself. You hook up everything and you are ALL set with the lighting. You're gonna love driving at night.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Plyfender, what did you use to seal your headlights back up?

I tried going to hidplanet.com/forums but the site is down. Im trying to look for a comparison of some sort of different projectors and their light output.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2001SE
This whole retrofit procedure can get expensive and annyoing lol
Its worth it so much though when you drive at night.

If you are doing this. They have on ebay projectors for sale. The best one I think which is also what I have is the TSX projectors. They could get expensive but its worth to spend money on these projectors because thats what makes the light spread on the road infront of you and you want it to be top quality with a nice color at the cutoff.

I saw for 500 dollars NEW Acura TSX projectors with NEW OEM Acura Bulbs and ballasts on ebay. You get something like that and buy a the cheap ebay headlights from ebay and either find someone to put the TSX projectors or do it yourself. You hook up everything and you are ALL set with the lighting. You're gonna love driving at night.

I would like to see your headlights. Do you have any pics?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Plyfender
If you get projectors i feel that you will be disappointed in the output even with a conversion kit. Unfortunately the projectors that are mounted inside of the housings have a funny shape that creates horrible hotspots on the ground.I have the projector headlights, but rather than simply use a "plug and play" conversion kit, i retrofitted my lights with a pair of Bosch E46(Bmw 3series) projectors with phillips ballasts and osram 4300k bulbs. Although this may sound more intensive, it is much more worth it. I highly advise you to not buy "colored" hid bulbs.. the maximum kelvin rating on ALL oem lighting aplications is 4300k (i.e. bmw, mercedes, audi, etc..). Going over this rating simply lowers lighting output. The cool color that you see from afar in bmw and mercedes.. is not the bulb color itself.. but the color band of the projector cutoff. If you would like pics or have any questions send me a message
Nicely put cuz most people dont know its the projector that creates the beautiful color on the high end cars like BMW and Mercedes Benzes. I would highly reccomend doing the retrofit. And its not all that hard to do. I did the same thing and am running the same setup as plyfender. the single xenon e46 projector plus i did the retro myself and it wasn't even all that hard. So say spend the extra cash and have awesome ouput And lighting. thas jus my .02
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 PM

can someone get a how to together for us guys, I have been on hidplanet but theres so much to read!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 AM

You can always get some TSX projectors and HIDs from Ebay and retro them into the new housing.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 PM

In the fuse panel box under the hood of my 2000 Maxima, I noticed that on the left side of the fuses there is a set of 20amp fuses for the left and right headlights, and on the right side there is a set for 15amp fuses for the left and right headlight. Right now there is nothing in the 20amp fuse slots, just my 15amp slots. I was told by Nissan that the 20amp fuses were used for the 2002-2003 Maximas because of the HIDs. If retrofitting my 2000 with HIDs, should I take out the 15amp fuses and put in 20amp fuses in the 20amp slots so I won't overload the current needed?