5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intermittent Amplifer on non-Bose??

Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Intermittent Amplifer on non-Bose??

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Maxima SE with 200,XXX miles. The past two weeks after it rains the radio volume is very low. I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear any sound. A day later the volume level returns to normal. Then it rains and the process repeats itself. I am assuming water is getting in somewhere and shorting out the amplifier, but I am not sure where. Under the hood and inside the car are dry. I read a couple of threads on head units for 5th generations but there was no mentions of an issue like mine. After reading these threads I do not believe I have a Bose head unit as it does not say Bose as one of the threads indicated it would--I will post a picture of mine. Does this head unit have a built in amplifier? Is there somewhere I should check for a water leak that I am missing--perhaps a clogged drain from a sunroof?

Here are the threads I was referring to:
https://maxima.org/forums/audio-elec...thread-30.html
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...85-stereo.html

Here is a picture of the head unit in my car.

Last edited by Chris8428; 11-25-2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Solved
Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM

That don't look like a bose. You would also have a subwoofer in the rear parcel shelf if you had bose. The non-bose has an internal amplifier. The bose system has the amp mounted on the underside of the rear parcel shelf. Try pulling the head unit out, or the trim, right after it rains to see if it's getting wet.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 01bluemax
That don't look like a bose. You would also have a subwoofer in the rear parcel shelf if you had bose. The non-bose has an internal amplifier. The bose system has the amp mounted on the underside of the rear parcel shelf. Try pulling the head unit out, or the trim, right after it rains to see if it's getting wet.
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a subwoofer or amp in the rear parcel shelf. If it does not rain tonight or tomorrow I will pull the head unit this weekend and see if I can find sings of water behind the unit. Otherwise I am at a loss for what is causing this, unless the connections have come loose.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:48 AM

you said radio, but does the "after rain volume" issue apply to tape and CD audio as well? you might want to find out if it is just radio or not before diagnosing any more.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Since you said radio, is the volume affected with CD playing or cassette?

If radio only, check out the back window since that is where the antenna is located.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM

As Prophecy99 and TallTom have said, if it's radio only, then something is up with your am/fm antenna.. The antenna is probably the only thing that is amplified on the non bose. The radio supplies power to the antenna signal amp.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM

And the radio is grounded through the antenna plug on the back of radio....
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Theslaking
And the radio is grounded through the antenna plug on the back of radio....
No.

It is grounded by the mounting brackets for the head unit.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
you said radio, but does the "after rain volume" issue apply to tape and CD audio as well? you might want to find out if it is just radio or not before diagnosing any more.
Good advice. I did not even think to do this trouble shooting step. If it rains I will check.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 AM

It rained last night. I went out and confirmed the radio would not have proper volume which it did not. I then put a CD in (I don't think I have any cassette tapes anymore) and I still had very low volume with the CD. I am assuming this rules out the antenna as a problem.

I will pull the head unit later this afternoon and check the connections and inspect behind it for water damage. On a related note I checked the wires running through the car doors looking for a short but everything appears in good order.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:17 PM

I pulled the head unit out and the back of the head unit was dry as was the surrounding space. All of the connections were also attached. I did notice when I turned the radio on as well as played a CD and then messed with the Fade level the rear speakers had a normal volume level but now only the front speakers had a low volume level. Am I correct in assuming my head unit is starting to fail?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 AM

I would still look at the back window. Maybe put painters tape around the entire window just before the next rainfall and see if you still have an issue.

Painters tape should be easy to remove afterwards.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
I would still look at the back window. Maybe put painters tape around the entire window just before the next rainfall and see if you still have an issue.

Painters tape should be easy to remove afterwards.

I will get some painters tape and try it. Could there be a problem with one of the two front speakers that is causing both to have the low volume issue?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM

If it were a water leak in the back window, this would only mess with the antenna and affect the radio operation and all the speakers. Since the problem seems to be the front speakers and the rear speakers are OK, I think this is a head unit problem.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If it were a water leak in the back window, this would only mess with the antenna and affect the radio operation and all the speakers. Since the problem seems to be the front speakers and the rear speakers are OK, I think this is a head unit problem.
I am also starting to believe it is the head unit as well. I looked on Crutchfield and with all the hardware the unit can be replaced for around 50 dollars, but I do not believe the steering wheel controls will work. What other, if any, models used this same head unit if anyone knows?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 AM

what is telling you no steering wheel controls? i just did a full head unit replacement and cant believe i didnt do this sooner !!! , i went with crutchfield and they had full steering wheel control options
Old 07-30-2019, 06:24 AM

what is telling you no steering wheel controls? i just did a full head unit replacement and cant believe i didnt do this sooner !!! , i went with crutchfield and they had full steering wheel control options
I am sure there are units with steering wheel controls, however all of the units I looked at in the 50 to 100 dollar range said steering wheel controls not supported by selected radio. Am I misreading this?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:23 AM

this is not true, yea there are some headuntis that are not compatible with steering wheel control adapters, but not all , and actually most are compatible, first one i found 35$ head unit worked w an adapter, mine was $90 and is compatible and working with the adapter.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM

this is not true, yea there are some headuntis that are not compatible with steering wheel control adapters, but not all , and actually most are compatible, first one i found 35$ head unit worked w an adapter, mine was $90 and is compatible and working with the adapter.
Good to know. I will go back and look through more models to see what I can find.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 AM

Solved

Hi All,

First I apologize for taking so long to address this issue. In my case it was not the head unit, but rather a slow failure of all the speakers. My old Clarion speakers which are 4 ohm slowly failed over the life of the car. By testing the speakers with a multimeter no reading for ohms were returned. I bought some JVC 4 ohm speakers off Amazon and in testing them they registered 4.2 to 4.3 ohms. I also performed a nine volt battery test and the speakers did not respond at all. When they were installed my issue was instantly solved.

I am still considering upgrading the head unit, but in the meantime I also bought a 45 dollar double din touch screen unit from Amazon. For what it is it works well. I followed the guide linked in the first post and emailed a few times with Ian. He was very helpful and took the time to answer my questions.

Two minor issues did arise. First, I do have a grounding issue to address as I get a slight whine through the speakers. I will run a second ground to the cigarette lighter unless anyone else has a better suggestion. And the second is in putting the dash back together some of the lights behind the climate control panel appear to have burned out.

Moderators please help---I could not figure out how to edit the title of the post and mark it as SOLVED.

Last edited by Chris8428; 11-25-2019 at 06:08 AM.