5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I got VTEC in my Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got VTEC in my Maxima!

Not really....

Got some help from Addae (Da-Max) and Corey (RedMax) of RedlineMax getting this installed because I have a phobia for messing with wiring. Addae did a great job with making the splicing/cutting/soldering neat and tidy.

We got some direction from Jime's SAFCII diagram below, and when I have some time I will make a similar one for the VAFCII, as there are a few things different with this set-up:

Credit also to goes to Steven88 and SR20DEN for input and answers to my questions, as well as posts with regards to the VAFCII. One such thread is here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=461576

Everything is working fine except we didn't hook the VAFCII to the VIAS control solenoid valve yet. Also, I'm still trying to determine with SR20DEN's help which throttle wire to use. I tapped into the accelerator pedal position sensor wire (pin 73), as per the Jime's SAFCII diagram, but when I floor it, it only reads 93% throttle as opposed to 100% throttle.

Apparently, it was the same for an install that SR did for someone else, although on his own car, it reads 100%. We are trying to determine if the throttle position sensor (pin 83) is better. The weird thing is that Steven88 is using pin 73 and he gets 100% when pedal is floored. It seems possible that both can be used, but we're trying to establish a definitive answer so that everyone else can be sure which one to tap into for the correct throttle % reading.

If anyone here has used the TPS in pin 83, please let me know too, thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM

One more thing, in Jime's diagram for the SAFCII, he mentions there will be 2 ground wires (black & brown). These tap into the ECM ground and you have to tap BOTH wires and they are supposed to be 1 cm apart with the brown wire closer to the ECM. This is the same for the VAFCII install.

Additionally for the VAFCII, the same goes for the power wires as well. The unit has 2 red power wires, both of which need to tap into the ECM power wire, 1 cm apart. In this case, we didn't really differentiate which one was further from the ECM since they both the same color. So far so good.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 PM

nice job, Joel & Co. i wish i had a lot of these guys around me to help me out with something like this, but you have headers, so i would think the potential gains you get will be better than me, but let us know what you get and how it feels, especially once you get vias hooked up and working...maybe i should look into it, bump the performance of my automagic.

it DOES say VTEC on it too, haha, i just noticed that.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Tha Snatcher

Pardon my ignorance...what does that do-hickey do?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Out of Order . . .

Originally Posted by Karim
Pardon my ignorance...what does that do-hickey do?
It is an Air/Fuel piggyback computer that allows you to fine tune your AF ratio, and it can also control VTEC engagement for Hondas. In our case you can use it to control the VIAS instead of VTEC (since we don't have VTEC).
Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Out of Order . . .

Oh, and it looks nice Joel! Would like to see your diagram when you get it done as I would like a VAFC II in the future!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Everything is working fine except we didn't hook the VAFCII to the VIAS control solenoid valve yet. Also, I'm still trying to determine with SR20DEN's help which throttle wire to use. I tapped into the accelerator pedal position sensor wire (pin 73), as per the Jime's SAFCII diagram, but when I floor it, it only reads 93% throttle as opposed to 100% throttle.

Apparently, it was the same for an install that SR did for someone else, although on his own car, it reads 100%. We are trying to determine if the throttle position sensor (pin 83) is better. The weird thing is that Steven88 is using pin 73 and he gets 100% when pedal is floored. It seems possible that both can be used, but we're trying to establish a definitive answer so that everyone else can be sure which one to tap into for the correct throttle % reading.

If anyone here has used the TPS in pin 83, please let me know too, thanks.
It's about time you got that thing in. Now your one step away from making those headers a little more useful........

SR was there when I did mine, and I taped into 73 as well off of Jime's diagram. SR told me he used a different pin as well, but I didn't get to verify which one at the time. Now that you've jogged my memory when he comes over tomorrow, we might switch to the pin he used so I can get 100%. I've only gotten 100% a few times since I've had it, and I've got to get that part perfect. Hopefully someone will chime in with which pin they went with.

So far looks great! Are you going to mount it in that spot, or somewhere else? Haydn has his in his glove, I think you guys should build a mount in the glove box to hide it. I gave Haydn a harness with long wires so that he can extend the original harness and place it in the sunglass holder. I would have done that to mine, but I use my holder everyday.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM

that.
is.
sick!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM

So what would happen if you were able to hook the Afc to the Vias, What will be the outcome to that, Would you be able to control which Rpms, to control it at. Etc?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Need A Light?

Heres a picture of me going WOT...without the engine on
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
It's about time you got that thing in. Now your one step away from making those headers a little more useful........

SR was there when I did mine, and I taped into 73 as well off of Jime's diagram. SR told me he used a different pin as well, but I didn't get to verify which one at the time. Now that you've jogged my memory when he comes over tomorrow, we might switch to the pin he used so I can get 100%. I've only gotten 100% a few times since I've had it, and I've got to get that part perfect. Hopefully someone will chime in with which pin they went with.

So far looks great! Are you going to mount it in that spot, or somewhere else? Haydn has his in his glove, I think you guys should build a mount in the glove box to hide it. I gave Haydn a harness with long wires so that he can extend the original harness and place it in the sunglass holder. I would have done that to mine, but I use my holder everyday.
i stuck mine in the lower right portion of the gauge cluster. i used a low adhesion double sided tape. hopefully it will end up in the sunglass holder. i put the wideband display where joel put the vafc 2.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by steven88

Heres a picture of me going WOT...without the engine on
thats not fun

Old 03-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Cletus

sweet
and since there is someone local to install it...i will be getting one when i get home (after the headers)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

glad its working out Joel, let me know about the rest of wiring if you want the conenctions done. just drop by when I'm in next week or whenever and I'll do it up real quick.

sooner, we can do the headers too by the time you get home the shop will be fully up and running
Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
glad its working out Joel, let me know about the rest of wiring if you want the conenctions done. just drop by when I'm in next week or whenever and I'll do it up real quick.

sooner, we can do the headers too by the time you get home the shop will be fully up and running
Addae
sweet, we will have to do that sometime in June.
by "the shop" do you mean your back yard?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX

da-max,

Can you pm me a price on how much to install Hotshot headers?

puppetmaster: Can the vafc2 control the VIAS, I thought I read in SR's thread that it can't?

tks...

vnt
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Need A Light?

vasily when are u going to show me the pictures? u keep ignoring me on AiM....just PM me the pictures or something...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by vntperformance
puppetmaster: Can the vafc2 control the VIAS, I thought I read in SR's thread that it can't?
In one of the older threads...Sr20den said 2k2s and up, the voltage is too high or something...thats why the VIAS might not work with the VAFCII....but for the 2k1 and below, it should be fine...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 PM

In one of the older threads...Sr20den said 2k2s and up, the voltage is too high or something...thats why the VIAS might not work with the VAFCII....but for the 2k1 and below, it should be fine...
Thanks for the info.
vnt
Old 03-24-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
So what would happen if you were able to hook the Afc to the Vias, What will be the outcome to that, Would you be able to control which Rpms, to control it at. Etc?

Bump.............
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Need A Light?

yes, 2k1 and below should have no problem....I'm sure sloppymax has done this...right?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Drug Money

yes, 2k1 and below should have no problem....I'm sure sloppymax has done this...right?
That'd be fricken sick though. Maybe have VIAS kick in a little earlier?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Why don't you get one? piggyback engine management is pretty useful...

oh i forgot, you're going 05 G35 Sedan 6spd...
Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Drug Money

Why don't you get one? piggyback engine management is pretty useful...

oh i forgot, you're going 05 G35 Sedan 6spd...
G35 6-Speed 4-door FTW!!!1111

PAUL WALLL!!!!

What would happen if we were to have VIAS kick in during midrange acceleration? Good or bad?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

our first attempt at controlling it did not work. after that, the power valve was removed on the dyno and kept out. nothing to control as of now.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 AM

Thanks man. It will remain in that spot. I would stick it where Haydn has his, but we have a trip computer there that I don't want to block . Mine is secured by a small strip of velcro, so its easy for me to pull off and throw into the glove box if I need to hide it.

Btw, let me know if and when y'all verify the right TPS signal wire.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:45 AM

I think he also hinted at a wiring issue, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
sweet
and since there is someone local to install it...i will be getting one when i get home (after the headers)
I can do both of those installs now too...
Old 03-25-2006, 09:48 AM

For the 5.5 Gens, there hasn't been any reason to change the switchover point just yet, at least from what we've seen in people's dynos.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Need A Light?

What would happen if we were to have VIAS kick in during midrange acceleration? Good or bad?
what mid-range are you talking about? If you want to open that b!tch up at 3500...then u will get a dip in HP...then it will rise back up and pull like mad to redline...

opening it too early theres consequences....just leave it at the stock shift point unless u have lots of other mods to justify opening it earlier...
Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Mass_Media™

what mid-range are you talking about? If you want to open that b!tch up at 3500...then u will get a dip in HP...then it will rise back up and pull like mad to redline...

opening it too early theres consequences....just leave it at the stock shift point unless u have lots of other mods to justify opening it earlier...

IMO if you open it up to early its going to bog the system down.

Looks sick thats a different place to mount it. Have trouble with it being there while shifting? I need to get one of those asap
Old 03-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
Looks sick thats a different place to mount it. Have trouble with it being there while shifting? I need to get one of those asap
Not with a STS.

Seriously, its really not in the way, even if I didn't have a STS. The only downside is I can't really use the tach on the VAFC since its more accurate, at least, not without taking my eyes off the road.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM

Draft of wiring diagram here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=463936
Old 04-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Having some hesitation issues after the VAFC-II was installed.... trying to figure out if it is directly related (MAF signal), or an unrelated coincidence (tranny slipping).

When under or around 3k in any gear and the gas pedal is depressed quickly, there is a significant delay then a surge forward. This happens almost all the time in that scenario after the VAFC-II install. If I'm driving all out (ie. shifting at redline in every gear) it doesn't happen that much.

All useful thoughts/comments appreciated, esp from those with piggyback experience.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Play with my balls

Having some hesitation issues after the VAFC-II was installed.... trying to figure out if it is directly related (MAF signal), or an unrelated coincidence (tranny slipping).

When under or around 3k in any gear and the gas pedal is depressed quickly, there is a significant delay then a surge forward. This happens almost all the time in that scenario after the VAFC-II install. If I'm driving all out (ie. shifting at redline in every gear) it doesn't happen that much.

All useful thoughts/comments appreciated, esp from those with piggyback experience.
I got that this weekend going to the beach on the way down there. There was only one occurance coming out of the rest area on ramp. This is the second time since the controller installed. I thought it was my maf going, but then remembered it happened once before. Maybe it is one of the connections, but my solidering wouldn't have come loose, I made sure of that. Let's see what other insight we get.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 AM

I got that this weekend going to the beach on the way down there. There was only one occurance coming out of the rest area on ramp. This is the second time since the controller installed. I thought it was my maf going, but then remembered it happened once before. Maybe it is one of the connections, but my solidering wouldn't have come loose, I made sure of that. Let's see what other insight we get.
So is this related to the "shudder" that you posted about recently? Or is it a different feeling altogether? I used to get the slight shudder before doing the same thing I described here at low rpms like I said in your thread, but it seems much more apparent now with the VAFC-II.

I'm pretty sure my soldering is secure too, and the fact that if I keep in the higher rpms it doesn't happen leads me to believe that it may be a MAF or MAF connection issue.

I mean, can it be that the ECU is causing a response lag in closed loop because the MAF signal goes through the piggyback first, but is fine in open loop?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Need A Light?

puppet, can you elaborate more on your situation?

You say in ANY gear at ANY rpm below 3k, you get a hesitation...then it surges all of a sudden forward once the gas pedal is released? Lemme know wassup
Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 AM

puppet, can you elaborate more on your situation?

You say in ANY gear at ANY rpm below 3k, you get a hesitation...then it surges all of a sudden forward once the gas pedal is released? Lemme know wassup
If I'm driving between 2500-3200 in any gear and need to accelerate (without downshifting), and accelerate quickly or hard, there is about a second of no-response before it really starts to accelerate hard. It almost feels like the tranny is slipping and suddenly engages.

Btw, the gas pedal is held down this entire time. I do not get this "surge" if I'm shifting at 5-6k; its all smooth acceleration in the higher rpms.

And no, I don't think its the DBW lag, because it never used to be this apparent.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Play with my balls

So is this related to the "shudder" that you posted about recently? Or is it a different feeling altogether? I used to get the slight shudder before doing the same thing I described here at low rpms like I said in your thread, but it seems much more apparent now with the VAFC-II.

I'm pretty sure my soldering is secure too, and the fact that if I keep in the higher rpms it doesn't happen leads me to believe that it may be a MAF or MAF connection issue.

I mean, can it be that the ECU is causing a response lag in closed loop because the MAF signal goes through the piggyback first, but is fine in open loop?
That shudder is different. This feeling was like it was bogging down between 2500 - 3000 rpms. It is in respect to the MAF I'm sure, but just not able to pinpoint the issue right now.

It's possible that the lag occurs in closed loop, but I'm wondering if this is a popular concensus.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 AM

That shudder is different. This feeling was like it was bogging down between 2500 - 3000 rpms. It is in respect to the MAF I'm sure, but just not able to pinpoint the issue right now.
I didn't think it was the same either, but thanks for confirming.

It's possible that the lag occurs in closed loop, but I'm wondering if this is a popular concensus.
We'll just have to wait and see I guess....

Quick Reply: I got VTEC in my Maxima!