5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Remember modding is a luxury, not a necessity.
Spoken like a true 'modder'
Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 AM

ok so i've looked into the "how to" thread and the one they say "broken link" but i couldn't find the solution for the problem that i'm having.

so the symptom is: when i stop at the traffic lights, i step on my brakes coz i have an auto, when i let go, i hear this pop noise from the back. it's gotta be something with the brakes for sure but i dont know what could it be? anybody had this problem before? it's really annoying and i need help guys

thanks

p.s. sorry if it doesnt make sence, i just got off work from a 12 hr shift..
Old 12-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alright... im having this creaking noise... like an eirie creaking noise.... like a old wooden door..

anyways... the noise comes when my steering wheel is all the way to the left...and at a complete stop... and i decide to start moving forward... if the steering wheel isnt all the way to the left... and if i didnt start from a complete stop... I WONT hear the noise..

I did a search...

1 thread said that its my wheel bearing

another thread said its (3rd gen forums) strut bearing?

another thread said.. its the CV boot seal (if the sound was a grinding sound

as of right now... i dont hear it on the right side...

any suggestions?

edit :... i rechecked it.... the noise only stays on while the car is rolling from 0-3 mph.... has to be going really really slow... and only when turned to the left.... all the way.

AND... i jacked the car up on the front... and tried moving the front wheels.... it doesnt jiggle around or anything... which from what i read is a sympton of bad wheel bearings.

Last edited by bigjoe87865; 12-02-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:06 PM

o2 sensor question

i need an o2 sensor and i was wondering if these are a direct replacement...the price seems really low and the product says replacement....are these a direct OEM part...? also if they are does "universal" mean that they can go into any bank...thanks in advance
i have a 2000 gle

http://www2.partstrain.com/v5/produc...+Oxygen+Sensor

take care,
mat rivera
Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrivera78
i need an o2 sensor and i was wondering if these are a direct replacement...the price seems really low and the product says replacement....are these a direct OEM part...? also if they are does "universal" mean that they can go into any bank...thanks in advance
i have a 2000 gle

http://www2.partstrain.com/v5/produc...+Oxygen+Sensor

take care,
mat rivera
PM Daveb.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
ok so i've looked into the "how to" thread and the one they say "broken link" but i couldn't find the solution for the problem that i'm having.

so the symptom is: when i stop at the traffic lights, i step on my brakes coz i have an auto, when i let go, i hear this pop noise from the back. it's gotta be something with the brakes for sure but i dont know what could it be? anybody had this problem before? it's really annoying and i need help guys

thanks

p.s. sorry if it doesnt make sence, i just got off work from a 12 hr shift..
Could be missing , worn, or broken brake hardware. This can allow the pads to shift in the brackets.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima Viper/Clifford Remote Start Install Assistance

I was asked to post my questions here (as opposed to other/older threads).

I am in the process of installing a Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 Remote Start (same as the Viper 791) in a 2000 SE. I was using the Owens Family Viper 791 posting and have some questions that I am looking for some guidance with.

Tutorial referenced:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/viper791xv/

Wiring Info for 2000 Maxima:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/vip.../dei-gen50.pdf

There seem to some remote start/ignition connection changes between the 2000 and 2001. The starter and ignition wires seem to be slightly different from the tutorial. Can anyone confirm? Specifically, it seemed that the Ignition and Starter wires were a bit different.

What I have is as follows:
Starter = Black/Red
2nd Starter = Black/Blue
Ignition = Black/Red (smaller gauge wire)
2nd Accessory- White/Blue

What the tutorial listed in steps # 16 - 17:
Black/Blue 12v Ignition #1
Red wire 12v Ignition #2
Black/Red 12v Starter #1
Black/White 12v Starter #2

Should I connect according to the DEI wiring chart for the 2000 or continue as outlined in the tutorial?

Also, in step # 19, for my SECU on the 2000, I only have 2 connectors going into the unit. One white; One Brown. Not the 3 that are listed. The only wire I don't have in my brown harness is the "blue - Pin 16 - Trunk Release".

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=NmexMAX;6103455]Take the MAF out and inspect the IAT for any physical damage. If it is, 888-254-6060 is the number, Dave Burnette is the man.

The SES light went out on friday. Got the car inspected and it passed the OBD tester so it is all good. Thanx 4 all da help folks. Da .Org rules!!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM

lighting ?

my wife bought me a pair of headlights for my 2000 gle for xmas and she really doesnt want me to install them until after xmas.....she got them from ebay and they only have a 7 day return policy on them....so my question is can i simply test them out by unplugging the wire from the old lights and plugging them into the new ones just to test if they work properly...? dont want to wait til after xmas to install them only to find out they dont work and have the 7 day return policy expire....are there any prcautions i should take while doing this?

thank you,
mat rivera
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
DasYears

return them, ebay lights are TERRIBLY, worse than the stock lights by 1000X

Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
return them, ebay lights are TERRIBLY, worse than the stock lights by 1000X

If they are the projecter lights. Do as above.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,
I'm new. I'm into vw's myself (have a diesel rabbit and a scirocco), but my parents have a '01 infiniti i30. We got the car with about 70k on it (just rolled over to 100 the other day), and the heated seats were working funky. I think my dad has a thing for nissans, his cousin had a 280zx, and he had a late '80s or early '90s maxima. I really like hardbody's and 240z/260z/280z, but not a real fan beyond that. I like the i30, but it is too smooth for my liking, and makes me want to sleep sometimes. (coming from a 25 year old 5 speed diesel rabbit to a 6 year old auto car ) I do love the sound of the engine at 3k and above, though!

What happens is-
The pass side seems to work well (I've never been in another car with heated seats, so I have nothing to compare to). The driver's side seat is all funky. I don't think the bottom part of the seat heater works. The back works. I don't think it works as well as the pass side. I don't think it works on low. And, when the driver's side seat heater is on, the pass side seat heater shuts off, despite the light still being on. What exactly is going on?

Next, the abs light came on sometime last year. What exactly is wrong here? A bad sensor or something? Is the sensor just located in a caliper or something (again, sorry, I come from working on simple cars)? How can I tell where the problem is?

Also, how do I program the homelink? The instructions in the manual didn't exactly work, the link to the thread in the diy thread thing was messed up and not working right.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Driving crazy is fun

I'm totally new to cars and Maxima's. The Maxima is my first car.2001 Se Smoke Gray,100k miles on,auto with crappy cd player.I want to add some mods,I'm not a crazy driver but I would like for the car to look nice.Does anyone have any suggestions with what I could do with the car and not spend too much?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 PM

I searched. Took 10 seconds. Not sure if this will work, but it should.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...42&postcount=2
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hamradio
Hi,
I'm new. I'm into vw's myself (have a diesel rabbit and a scirocco), but my parents have a '01 infiniti i30. We got the car with about 70k on it (just rolled over to 100 the other day), and the heated seats were working funky. I think my dad has a thing for nissans, his cousin had a 280zx, and he had a late '80s or early '90s maxima. I really like hardbody's and 240z/260z/280z, but not a real fan beyond that. I like the i30, but it is too smooth for my liking, and makes me want to sleep sometimes. (coming from a 25 year old 5 speed diesel rabbit to a 6 year old auto car ) I do love the sound of the engine at 3k and above, though!

What happens is-
The pass side seems to work well (I've never been in another car with heated seats, so I have nothing to compare to). The driver's side seat is all funky. I don't think the bottom part of the seat heater works. The back works. I don't think it works as well as the pass side. I don't think it works on low. And, when the driver's side seat heater is on, the pass side seat heater shuts off, despite the light still being on. What exactly is going on?

Next, the abs light came on sometime last year. What exactly is wrong here? A bad sensor or something? Is the sensor just located in a caliper or something (again, sorry, I come from working on simple cars)? How can I tell where the problem is?

Also, how do I program the homelink? The instructions in the manual didn't exactly work, the link to the thread in the diy thread thing was messed up and not working right.
If part of the seat is working, it may just be that be that the heater element has died. If that's the case you would probably need to source a new one. You can really only compare it to the other seat.

As far as homelink goes, the instructions in the manual work just fine. You might just have to be patient. You can download an owner's manual from here:
http://www.nissantechinfo.com/nissan...p?dept%5Fid=37
You might need to clear out the previous programming by holding down the two outside homelink buttons (if I remember corrrectly) check the owner's manual.

There is a procedure on how to reset the ABS light (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=544585) but one of the most common causes of an ABS lite is a dirty sensor on one of the brakes. This page lays it out pretty well:
http://www.vr4stealth.com/abs_speed_sensor_cleaning.htm

Finally, if you come across a link that's broken, this will probably help you out:
http://www.nissantechinfo.com/nissan...p?dept%5Fid=37

Originally Posted by L8rMr
I'm totally new to cars and Maxima's. The Maxima is my first car.2001 Se Smoke Gray,100k miles on,auto with crappy cd player.I want to add some mods,I'm not a crazy driver but I would like for the car to look nice.Does anyone have any suggestions with what I could do with the car and not spend too much?
I would do maintenance first, at a 100K, you're probably do up for an oil change and tune up. That will make sure the max performs up to its best. Then a good detailing always helps. Then maybe a new stereo, some suspension mods, some rims? All depends what you like, take some time to search and see what other people are doing.

Hope this helps you!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Alright then. I have an 03 Maxima SE auto, with basic mods such as a Greddy EVO2 catback, Injen intake and Tokico Illuminas and Eibach Springs, with a CM front strut brace. My sway bar is on the way, and Im going to get some intake spacers. What else can I do to increase my HP, aside from forced induction? My goal is to make a fast N/A Maxima. Help, anyone?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by b0nzzzzz
Alright then. I have an 03 Maxima SE auto, with basic mods such as a Greddy EVO2 catback, Injen intake and Tokico Illuminas and Eibach Springs, with a CM front strut brace. My sway bar is on the way, and Im going to get some intake spacers. What else can I do to increase my HP, aside from forced induction? My goal is to make a fast N/A Maxima. Help, anyone?
Headers
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by spdfreak
Headers
After he gets rid of that horrid intake.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

New here!

Hi everyone! I just registered today. Although I do not own a Maxima, I am in the Nissan family. I drive a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V. I'm really looking into getting an 02/03 Maxima SE (6-spd) with under 60K miles on the clock. I just need something bigger with a little more power under the hood and a Maxima is the best candidate. I do have a couple of questions:

1.) Are there any common issues/problems with the VQ35?
2.) What kind of real world mpg do you get with a 6-spd?

I'm in the Los Angeles area, just in case anyone is selling their Maxima around here. Thanks.

Last edited by chris0276; 12-02-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
After he gets rid of that horrid intake.
+1
Old 12-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by chris0276
Hi everyone! I just registered today. Although I do not own a Maxima, I am in the Nissan family. I drive a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V. I'm really looking into getting an 02/03 Maxima SE (6-spd) with under 60K miles on the clock. I just need something bigger with a little more power under the hood and a Maxima is the best candidate. I do have a couple of questions:

1.) Are there any common issues/problems with the VQ35?
2.) What kind of real world mpg do you get with a 6-spd?

I'm in the Los Angeles area, just in case anyone is selling their Maxima around here. Thanks.
1.) Oil burning issues.
2.) Deppends on driving habbits. I woulds guess 17mpg mixed driving.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Headers
Yeah I talked to Cattman, theyre not in the budget yet, but theyre definitely planned. I dont know if theyre going to affect me when it comes time for smog though. And what's wrong with my CAI?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Also, does anyone have any stock 03 exhausts and struts/springs they dont need? I want to downgrade the Max, sell it and get the 6MT.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Yeah I talked to Cattman, theyre not in the budget yet, but theyre definitely planned. I dont know if theyre going to affect me when it comes time for smog though. And what's wrong with my CAI?

You loose low end power, called torque.

I'm sure there are better intakes.
I'm not an intake guru?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Also, does anyone have any stock 03 exhausts and struts/springs they dont need? I want to downgrade the Max, sell it and get the 6MT.
Check out the for sale section.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM

You loose low end power, called torque.

I'm sure there are better intakes.
I'm not an intake guru?
I know what torque is. I'm not completely retarded when it comes to mods, I'm just not as advanced as everyone here is. So what should I get in place of the Injen? Anyone..
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
DasYears

i have a stock SE suspension for sale, pm me if interested

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Cletus

what's wrong with my CAI?
besides the fact that it isnt a CAI and that its overpriced and over hyped...nothing
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

I know what torque is. I'm not completely retarded when it comes to mods, I'm just not as advanced as everyone here is. So what should I get in place of the Injen? Anyone..
Intakes have been beat to death. Bottom line, get rid of the Injen and put anything in it’s place and you’ll be good.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Cletus

what should I get in place of the Injen?
http://www.berktechnology.com/
Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Whats the difference?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
i have a stock SE suspension for sale, pm me if interested
PM sent.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 PM

1.) Oil burning issues.
2.) Deppends on driving habbits. I woulds guess 17mpg mixed driving.
What oil burning issues? I was under the impression that the VQ35 was a bullet proof engine.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM

GAB, Berk...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM

GAB, Berk...
for gab cheap and best all around difference. There will be a lot of opinions on this but.....
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by chris0276
What oil burning issues? I was under the impression that the VQ35 was a bullet proof engine.

I'm sure it is. Do a search and you will see the oil burning issues.

The new VQ35HR in the new G35 and 350z doesn't have this issue, But these cars have the VQ35DE.
They may have resolved the issue for the 6th gen's but I'm not sure.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Pretty shocking bit of info. I was sure that the Injen was the best way to go when I bought it. Hmm.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Pretty shocking bit of info. I was sure that the Injen was the best way to go when I bought it. Hmm.
Go with headers. You won't regret it.
As for the cat-back, it won't give you more than a hp or two IIRC. The 5th gen's have a good cat-back and muffler.
Your looking for more power? When was the last tune up? Change your plugs / intake filter recently?
Start with the basics.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Go with headers. You won't regret it.
As for the cat-back, it won't give you more than a hp or two IIRC. The 5th gen's have a good cat-back and muffler.
Your looking for more power? When was the last tune up? Change your plugs / intake filter recently?
Start with the basics.
I got the catback partially for sound, and partially because Iwas duped into thinking it gave me more power than it actually does. Last tune up was 1000 miles ago, replaced with the NGKs that come with the car. I need to clean my filter or replace it, that's on the agenda. What's next is what I want to know. Headers are on the list, I'm talking beyond that. What are the benefits of an MSD igniton system. And OT...does anyone on the ORG have a turbo 5.5? And do headers affect my car's ability to pass smog?

Last edited by b0nzzzzz; 12-02-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM

I got the catback partially for sound, and partially because Iwas duped into thinking it gave me more power than it actually does. Last tune up was 1000 miles ago, replaced with the NGKs that come with the car. I need to clean my filter or replace it, that's on the agenda. What's next is what I want to know. Headers are on the list, I'm talking beyond that. What are the benefits of an MSD igniton system. And OT...does anyone on the ORG have a turbo 5.5?

Not sure what you mean by "MSD ignition system".
A 5.5 turbo? Thats going to cost you.

Last edited by spdfreak; 12-02-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread