5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by spdfreak
Not sure what you mean by "MDS ignition system".
A 5.5 turbo? Thats going to cost you.
Not MDS, MSD igniton. MSD being the brand name.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by b0nzzzzz
Not MDS, MSD igniton. MSD being the brand name.
What about it. Our cars work with a coil pack per cylinder.

Have you read any stickies?
Doesn't seem so.

Last edited by spdfreak; 12-02-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by spdfreak
GAB, Berk...
OSCAI-just did that one the other day-well, I cut the elbow and attached some 4" dryer ducting but haven't had a chance to cut an opening to make it a true CAI, but it definitely pulls in more air than just the small factory intake, top end feels noticably better. Probably do the GAB as well once I finish the OSCAI. For $11 in parts (dryer ducting, 4" worm clamp), it can't be beat.

FWIW, I did a similar set up on an Accord I used to own and when I replaced it with an AEM CAI, other than the weird 4000 rpm torque bump (typical of AEM intakes), the power didn't noticably increase over my home made set up but the noise sure did.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bigjoe87865
Alright... im having this creaking noise... like an eirie creaking noise.... like a old wooden door..

anyways... the noise comes when my steering wheel is all the way to the left...and at a complete stop... and i decide to start moving forward... if the steering wheel isnt all the way to the left... and if i didnt start from a complete stop... I WONT hear the noise..

I did a search...

1 thread said that its my wheel bearing

another thread said its (3rd gen forums) strut bearing?

another thread said.. its the CV boot seal (if the sound was a grinding sound

as of right now... i dont hear it on the right side...

any suggestions?

edit :... i rechecked it.... the noise only stays on while the car is rolling from 0-3 mph.... has to be going really really slow... and only when turned to the left.... all the way.

AND... i jacked the car up on the front... and tried moving the front wheels.... it doesnt jiggle around or anything... which from what i read is a sympton of bad wheel bearings.
bump
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM

bump
This might seems weird but have you checked your brakes?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Alright... im having this creaking noise... like an eirie creaking noise.... like a old wooden door..

anyways... the noise comes when my steering wheel is all the way to the left...and at a complete stop... and i decide to start moving forward... if the steering wheel isnt all the way to the left... and if i didnt start from a complete stop... I WONT hear the noise..

I did a search...

any suggestions?

edit :... i rechecked it.... the noise only stays on while the car is rolling from 0-3 mph.... has to be going really really slow... and only when turned to the left.... all the way.

AND... i jacked the car up on the front... and tried moving the front wheels.... it doesnt jiggle around or anything... which from what i read is a sympton of bad wheel bearings.

i had the same problem last winter, and for some reason it went away.
havent heard from it this winter yet but will keep an ear on it...
i dont what the problem is neither have a solution for it..
Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Heres a quick question since i just recently bought a 5.5 gen. I bought a set of clear corners question is how badly do people out there get nailed by the cops if they don't put red lights on the rears, but i assume it varies in different states. Specifically I'm in NJ.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
Heres a quick question since i just recently bought a 5.5 gen. I bought a set of clear corners question is how badly do people out there get nailed by the cops if they don't put red lights on the rears, but i assume it varies in different states. Specifically I'm in NJ.
After a year with no problems $101 ticket for me in WA. with superwhite bulbs. I've been running bulbless ever since.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
DasYears

i havent had bulbs in my corner lights for 2 years and no problems

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM

So you guys basically only running lights in the front and nothing in the back correct? Few minutes ago i just installed the back clears with 194 red bulbs but turned pink. thanks for the input i might as well take the bulbs out of the back and leave the amber bulbs in the front. Any suggestions on how to get a brighter red color rather then a pinkish lol.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
So you guys basically only running lights in the front and nothing in the back correct? Few minutes ago i just installed the back clears with 194 red bulbs but turned pink. thanks for the input i might as well take the bulbs out of the back and leave the amber bulbs in the front. Any suggestions on how to get a brighter red color rather then a pinkish lol.
I don't have bulbs in the front or the rear. I put blue bulbs in for meets and thats it. It's not illegal or anything to not have bulbs in, only illigal to have the wrong color in
Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'99 Maxima 16" wheels fit on '02 SE?

I've been running 16" snow tires on Altima steel wheels during the winter on my '02 SE (hey there were free).

Would '99 16" 5-spoke wheels fit?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pordy
I've been running 16" snow tires on Altima steel wheels during the winter on my '02 SE (hey there were free).

Would '99 16" 5-spoke wheels fit?
I would assume so, since 02 GXE's came w/ 16's.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima SE

Hello I'm a newbie here. I just bought a 2001 Maxima SE with cloth seats, automatic, without sun roof. My question to all of you is does the ABS come standard? I thought is was standard. I tried this weekend on the slick ice and it doesn't seem like the ABS engaged. The ABS light did not light up when I turned the ignition. I went to the fuse box inside the car and under the hood inside the engine compartment. The ABS fuse was inside box. When I went to relay box, the ABS acutator and motor relay was missing. Does this seem right? I found the actuator control module in the engine. Do I have ABS with this car? I really thought ABS was standard with 2001 SE. I do appreciate your input.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'99 Maxima 16" wheels fit on '02 SE?

Thanks- I know 16" wheels will fit since I've been running the Altima steel wheels the past 3 winters.

I've been poking around Tirerack.com that suggests my OEM 17" have a 40 mm offset with 5-114 bolt pattern, same as the '02 16" Altima S wheels (where I got the steel wheels) and same as the '99 Maxima SE (which is where I *think* the 5-spoke wheels for sale came from).

I was wondering if anybody has actually tried the swap before I buy them.

Thanks again,
Pat

fyi- 62,000 miles and problems have been: flaky auto-up passenger window, occasional cd trouble with the bose 6-cd changer (and those darn noisy rear windows). Love the 6-speed & wish I had the posi on the front end!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pordy
Thanks- I know 16" wheels will fit since I've been running the Altima steel wheels the past 3 winters.

I've been poking around Tirerack.com that suggests my OEM 17" have a 40 mm offset with 5-114 bolt pattern, same as the '02 16" Altima S wheels (where I got the steel wheels) and same as the '99 Maxima SE (which is where I *think* the 5-spoke wheels for sale came from).

I was wondering if anybody has actually tried the swap before I buy them.
02 GXE’s came w/ 16’s, so, with that, I would assume they will fit. Also, 02 Altimas had the same brakes as 02 Maximas, so, yet another theory backing reason.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
JPayner4

In the "THE YELLOW BULB vs "LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON" thread, are all of the yellow bulbs in this test HIDs or are they standars filament bulbs? As far as I understand they are all standard H3 filament bulbs that are just "yellow". I also understand that on page 5,6,7 they are filament bulbs with a capsule over them. But there is a picture and description of a capsule over an HID bulb. And also what about the comparison with the 3 cars in them from page one? I ask because I just got a HID conversion kit for my fogs and Im trying to figure out what mine are going to look like. I got the H3 bulb HID conversion kit with a 3000k bulb.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JPayner4
In the "THE YELLOW BULB vs "LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON" thread, are all of the yellow bulbs in this test HIDs or are they standars filament bulbs? As far as I understand they are all standard H3 filament bulbs that are just "yellow". I also understand that on page 5,6,7 they are filament bulbs with a capsule over them. But there is a picture and description of a capsule over an HID bulb. And also what about the comparison with the 3 cars in them from page one? I ask because I just got a HID conversion kit for my fogs and Im trying to figure out what mine are going to look like. I got the H3 bulb HID conversion kit with a 3000k bulb.
My understanding was that they were NOT HID bulbs. But, if you've got a 3000k kit, then that's even better.

There's a pic in that thread with 3000k HID headlights (not fogs) that should give you an idea on how the color will look.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
It's not illegal or anything to not have bulbs in, only illigal to have the wrong color in
WRONG

front side must light and reflect amber
rear side must light and reflect red

how many times must this be argued on here
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
WRONG

front side must light and reflect amber
rear side must light and reflect red

how many times must this be argued on here
Didn't realize I was arguing or that there was even an argument. I just no many cars don't even come with sidemarkers so I guess it was my fault and I stand corrected. I guess the cars that don't have them maby have them in the headlight housing or corner light housing
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
--+--

any suggestions?

The sound that you are describing sounds like something my last two maximas have had. It is the steering stops. There are some pegs on each side of the car and when the steering wheel is turned all the way the peg will touch the stop. If the cap on the end of the peg is shot it will sound like metal on metal screeching together. I haven't replaced mine yet but I rotated the cap on the end a bit so a new spot was touching and the noise went away for a while. Might be worth looking at.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by Armon
My understanding was that they were NOT HID bulbs. But, if you've got a 3000k kit, then that's even better.

There's a pic in that thread with 3000k HID headlights (not fogs) that should give you an idea on how the color will look.
That would be my fancy pants.

I now have 3000k headlights and 3000k fogs.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Nismo1
Hello I'm a newbie here. I just bought a 2001 Maxima SE with cloth seats, automatic, without sun roof. My question to all of you is does the ABS come standard? I thought is was standard. I tried this weekend on the slick ice and it doesn't seem like the ABS engaged. The ABS light did not light up when I turned the ignition. I went to the fuse box inside the car and under the hood inside the engine compartment. The ABS fuse was inside box. When I went to relay box, the ABS acutator and motor relay was missing. Does this seem right? I found the actuator control module in the engine. Do I have ABS with this car? I really thought ABS was standard with 2001 SE. I do appreciate your input.
holy crap im surprised no one posted you an answer on this, this isnt safe at all!

IIRC your car should come with ABS standard, dunno whats up with your car though. Reason why i say it should have ABS standard because when i look up parts for our cars at work esp cv axles and other driveline/brake components i do not get an option for non abs equipped vehicles
Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo1
I've also been thinking about this.

First thing I would do is check your computer to see if there are any stored codes. Did you buy your car from a private party or a dealer? The abs light should come on when you turn the key to ignition on. Maby somebody disfunctioned the abs and removed the bulb from the instrament cluster. Not a good idea but I've done this on a lexus before and all it did was make the brakes function like a car that never came with abs. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 AM

I did a search...

any suggestions?

I wanted to update this..

I checked the CV boots inner and outter on both sides.... they seem to be in good condition.... no cracks , rips... nothing... intact...

for the person that asked about my brakes.... my front brakes are a bit warped.... it squeaks...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
The sound that you are describing sounds like something my last two maximas have had. It is the steering stops. There are some pegs on each side of the car and when the steering wheel is turned all the way the peg will touch the stop. If the cap on the end of the peg is shot it will sound like metal on metal screeching together. I haven't replaced mine yet but I rotated the cap on the end a bit so a new spot was touching and the noise went away for a while. Might be worth looking at.

where are these pegs located?...and what are they called?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

My guess: A bad strut mount.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
--+--

where are these pegs located?...and what are they called?
I dont have a FSM to see what they are called but if you lie on the ground right behind the front tire and look towards the front of the car you will see the peg I'm talking about. Its right behind the CV boot. It hits the lower control arm when the steering is turned all the way.

Mine only makes the noise when I'm turned all the way and the suspension has to travel. If its making the noise on completely flat surfaces it must be the strut mount.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2K3 HU replacement ideas?

I'm ready to dropkick my 2K3 Factory HU in the trash. The LED lights are completely dead, sound cut outs on BOTH sides, and the CD skips constantly. I'd read about the fixes, but right now I'd rather just get another HU. I'm looking for one that matches my interior as close as possible.. but it's tough to judge on sites that just give you a picture of the HU alone.

I've tried looking at 5th gen pics on cardomain but it seems like 98% of the people there keep their stock HU. The Clarion FB275BT looks nice and has somewhat of a minimalist look to it... but I can't find it anywhere. Are there any others someone could suggest? or even point me to a site like cardomain with 5th gen HU pictures? ..and yes, I do know that I'll need the double to single din kit because all the double-din HUs look too wild for me.

I wish I could just post this in the audio forum, but I have to follow the 15-post rule before I can make a new thread. =(
Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey rather dumb question I have, but guess this is the right place to ask....

I'm sure many of you have seen those cheap aftermarket 02/03 headlight assembly with HIDs on ebay, well I didn't like the look on my headlights, really scratched up etc...wanted it to look new so I bought a set of these (dealer quoted me almost $3000 for a new set), aside from the crappy light output I don't like the color either.

Bascially my question is can I replace the aftermarket capsule with the stock capsules? Would this cause any problems because its a different ballast/igniter? The stock headlights were bluish white, these new ones are yellowish white.

Thanks in advance guys, just don't want to blow up a capsule, they're kinda of pricey.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by rony_espana
Hey rather dumb question I have, but guess this is the right place to ask....

I'm sure many of you have seen those cheap aftermarket 02/03 headlight assembly with HIDs on ebay, well I didn't like the look on my headlights, really scratched up etc...wanted it to look new so I bought a set of these (dealer quoted me almost $3000 for a new set), aside from the crappy light output I don't like the color either.

Bascially my question is can I replace the aftermarket capsule with the stock capsules? Would this cause any problems because its a different ballast/igniter? The stock headlights were bluish white, these new ones are yellowish white.

Thanks in advance guys, just don't want to blow up a capsule, they're kinda of pricey.
First of all... what year is your car? If it's an '02 or '03 you can take the scratches out of your factory HID headlights and make them look new fairly simply
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its an 02
Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
WSH for teh cup

Its an 02
I would suggest ditching the Ebay headlights and clean up the stock lights. Here's a link on how to do it. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=332187
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM

After exploring the forums and all the O2/MAF/P0171 related threads, I initially figured my symptoms (stalling, sluggish accel, etc.) and P0171 code indicated that I need a new MAF and an ECM reprogram. However, I am also pulling a P0134 code (HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1) which seems to indicate my HOS1-B1 sensor is bad. I see that somebody in another post threw a P0134 code which a new MAF fixed. Does anyone know if my P0171 and P0134 codes are more likely the result of a bad MAF, a bad O2 sensor, or both?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kyle00
I would suggest ditching the Ebay headlights and clean up the stock lights. Here's a link on how to do it. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=332187
Well unfortunately I don't think I can return them, and the stock ones look horrible, like someone sanded them, I don't think they can be fixed. I don't mind the aftermarket ones, but I would like the bluish color the oem ones had....just wondering if this is possible.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by UConnJack
After exploring the forums and all the O2/MAF/P0171 related threads, I initially figured my symptoms (stalling, sluggish accel, etc.) and P0171 code indicated that I need a new MAF and an ECM reprogram. However, I am also pulling a P0134 code (HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1) which seems to indicate my HOS1-B1 sensor is bad. I see that somebody in another post threw a P0134 code which a new MAF fixed. Does anyone know if my P0171 and P0134 codes are more likely the result of a bad MAF, a bad O2 sensor, or both?
Do the MAF and take it from there. If it is still acting up, do the ECM update.

Well unfortunately I don't think I can return them, and the stock ones look horrible, like someone sanded them, I don't think they can be fixed. I don't mind the aftermarket ones, but I would like the bluish color the oem ones had....just wondering if this is possible.
Try sanding them first, if that doesn't work, look for some cheap used housings (www.car-part.com, on here, eBay, www.pinnaclenissan.com, Dave Burnette, etc) . You have an 02 so you can still retain the HID's, meaning all you need is the housing.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM

best spark plugs to get for an 2000????
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
best spark plugs to get for an 2000????
Read te stickies. This has been discussed many times before.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM

The ebay projector headlights give off significantly less light than stock.
You can always sell your scrached up HID's. Many people are buying them and cleaning them up.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Do the MAF and take it from there. If it is still acting up, do the ECM update.
Thanks. Is cleaning the MAF worth trying first, has anyone had any luck with this solving the problem? Or should I just go right to the replacement?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread