5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
My $$ will be on the coil pack.

Switch the coil pack in question to another cylinder for a week and see if the code travels to the cylinder which you transfered to.
alright ill do that, thanks for the help man
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM

problem that is really bothering me, When i first crank my car up in the morning, when i try to crank it, it makes a bad scratching noise like the starter doesnt want to turn over then it finally turns over and runs fine. It sounds like grinding metal and only really happens when the car has been sitting for awhile without being cranked up. when i get it cranked and drive for awhile, its fine when i try to crank it up for the rest of the day. Im guessing that its my starter....but could someone please give me some feedback, from multiple people of possible....thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
problem that is really bothering me, When i first crank my car up in the morning, when i try to crank it, it makes a bad scratching noise like the starter doesnt want to turn over then it finally turns over and runs fine. It sounds like grinding metal and only really happens when the car has been sitting for awhile without being cranked up. when i get it cranked and drive for awhile, its fine when i try to crank it up for the rest of the day. Im guessing that its my starter....but could someone please give me some feedback, from multiple people of possible....thanks
Either re-grease your starter or buy another one. Whenever mine does that, I buy another and don't waste my time regreasing it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM

where can i find the paint color codes for my max. i want to order a spoiler and lip and want to paint them to match my stock paint. is there a site i can look it up on?
i think its called pewter but not sure.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by njk4o5
where can i find the paint color codes for my max. i want to order a spoiler and lip and want to paint them to match my stock paint. is there a site i can look it up on?
i think its called pewter but not sure.
What you need to do is check under the hood on the plate that sits on the firewall. This tells you the paint code. With the paint code information and year of your car, whoever paints it will be able to better match it.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/paint/maxima.html
Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM

2 questions today.

i heard someone is making CF eyelids for 5 and 5.5 gen, anybody knows who?

if i lost one of my keys and some guy picked it up.
now i want to re-program my spare one, do i have to go to the stealer or i can do it at home with instructions?
now if that guy knows that it's for my max and want to steal it, the key that i lost in which he has would not work right?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

you may want to take it to the stealership and get a new code.
if you don't, i don't see why he couldn't use your stolen one with the same code that is being used by your spare......
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM

ok so it's gotta be re-programmed by the dealer? not something i can do it myself?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:36 PM

i'm not sure. check the owner's manual. my guess is no.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Depends on where you live. I'm in NM and my 4th gen (Model yr 95) has no rust whatsoever.

Bad rotors, common problem when Nissan decided to put Civic size brakes on these things.

Pics? Carfax?

That's always nice.

Without visually seeing it, I trust that you're judgment is good enough, if you need a little help, check www.nada.com & www.kbb.com.

Drive ability tells a long story, couple that w/ SES lights / codes, and you should be able to find a problem. None other than you specified are 'common', but that can be subjective. take a look at the TSB thread in the stickys.

If they're pulsating, then that means they haven't serviced them in a while 9maybe) and therefore then that also means it might need a brake bleeding.

Thanks for the input

I checked carfax and it's clear, so I supposed the accident was settled outside. Other than the brakes and the steering wheel not centered (I guess it needs an alignment), the car drove fine. I didn't really test the suspension fully, but I think there was some faint 'knocking'-like noise from the front when going over potholes... could this be bad shocks, or ball joint??
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM

So today i went back and checked all the wiring for my HID fogs and even redid some to make sure they were properly secured by connectors and crimped. Then retraced all the splices if any that maybe lose, but everything was fine and secured. I am thinking it might the Ballast but not sure. Another symptom is that when i turn on my lights at night first, both fogs come on, but when i start the car the fog on the driver side like i mention turns off completely. Anyone have this happened to them when they installed their HID fogs?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by maxximaa
ok so it's gotta be re-programmed by the dealer? not something i can do it myself?
yes the dealer has to do it...its a good $100 or so
Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
So today i went back and checked all the wiring for my HID fogs and even redid some to make sure they were properly secured by connectors and crimped. Then retraced all the splices if any that maybe lose, but everything was fine and secured. I am thinking it might the Ballast but not sure. Another symptom is that when i turn on my lights at night first, both fogs come on, but when i start the car the fog on the driver side like i mention turns off completely. Anyone have this happened to them when they installed their HID fogs?
I would try taking the passenger side ballast and use it on the driver side and see if the samething happens. If it happens on the passenger side, its the ballast. If it happens on the driver side, try replacing the relay and check the wiring to the relay.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by maxximaa
Originally Posted by DaveVQ
yes the dealer has to do it...its a good $100 or so

Yes, dealer only. They program YOUR key (new) to YOUR ECU. FYI: it's 130$ here.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by supraken
Thanks for the input

I checked carfax and it's clear, so I supposed the accident was settled outside. Other than the brakes and the steering wheel not centered (I guess it needs an alignment), the car drove fine. I didn't really test the suspension fully, but I think there was some faint 'knocking'-like noise from the front when going over potholes... could this be bad shocks, or ball joint??
Steering wheel issue will be fixed by an alignment.

Knocking noise typically means bad strut mount. 35$ or so. Not so easy to fix. I replaced mine @ 35k, and that sound returned within 1k, went away in 3k, hasn't returned since. It's a good item to repalce when you repalce the struts, other than that not a huge deal other than the sound.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Steering wheel issue will be fixed by an alignment.

Knocking noise typically means bad strut mount. 35$ or so. Not so easy to fix. I replaced mine @ 35k, and that sound returned within 1k, went away in 3k, hasn't returned since. It's a good item to repalce when you repalce the struts, other than that not a huge deal other than the sound.

Thanks, it's good to know that it's not a big issue. I'll probably go ahead with this car..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Quick Question for my 2000/2001 Drivers Injen Cai Or Berk Intake With Jwt Filter..WHich On Is better....I was Thinking about Using the BErk Intake with Jwt filter in the summer and Injen Cai In the fall/Winter..Let me know what you drivers think
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MoeBelikeMax
Quick Question for my 2000/2001 Drivers Injen Cai Or Berk Intake With Jwt Filter..WHich On Is better....I was Thinking about Using the BErk Intake with Jwt filter in the summer and Injen Cai In the fall/Winter..Let me know what you drivers think
Injen CAI is a very bad design. I would go w/ the Berk/JWT hybrid all year round.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Injen CAI is a very bad design. I would go w/ the Berk/JWT hybrid all year round.
JWT hybrid and that is ?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Turbo'd Saab

JWT hybrid and that is ?
the berk is an intake setup. The JWT is just a special filter.

and you have a hybrid
Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

low rpm @ startup

everyday when i start my car [01 SE] the rpms slowly drop to around 400 or less and the car sputters and sounds like its about to stall but doesnt. after a few minutes, the rpms will shoot back up and everything is fine. but if i try to drive it before it shoots back up, the car bucks and acts terribly. Is it my MAF? help!! I have 98k and still on original MAF. Thanks so much in advance.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM

maf is on the way out.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 PM

so today i heard this pretty nice little squeak coming from under the hood. I noticed that it only made the noise when the a/c is on. It sounds like it's comin from the radiator fans in the very front of the engine right behind the grill. What are my options? it's still spinning well, so could i just wd40 it? any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Cletus

the injen is an overpriced and overhyped POS

berk with apexi is what you want

why would you go to the trouble to change your setup twice a year when both setups give the exact same minimal results?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 AM

im looking into the TS ECU. i know most people decide just to go with the l-spec, but im not sure. I have the SSIM done and IM spacers, so i was thinking about going with the z33 CVTC map since that would help in the midrange. also i am going to request the z33 ignition timing curve. for anybody that has such a combo, what do you think? i know its a stretch for the extra bucks and thats why im asking if it would be worth it.

Nmex, have you ever regretted your choice and wished you had just gotten an l-spec and lived without the z33 vtc map?

any comments on revving to 7100 on stock bottom end? not planning to get ARP bolts yet and i know i should, but am i safe to 7100 on stock bottom?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 AM
WSH for teh cup

Here's my n00b question for the day

I was wondering how the camber is adjusted on our cars (front wheels obviously). I know the toe is adjusted by the tie rod ends...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Kyle00
Here's my n00b question for the day

I was wondering how the camber is adjusted on our cars (front wheels obviously). I know the toe is adjusted by the tie rod ends...
bigger hole in lower strut bolt hole or smaller bolt in upper strut

camber plates

camber bolts
Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing Covers: 4TH Gen DE covers on 5TH Gen DE-K?

From the looks of the service manual diagrams, the DE and DE-K front and rear timing covers are the same. Anyone have real-world experience with this? Do they interchange?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sunstream453
any comments on revving to 7100 on stock bottom end? not planning to get ARP bolts yet and i know i should, but am i safe to 7100 on stock bottom?
I rev to that RPM all day. I wouldn't go over that w/o rev insurance (RB's)
also i am going to request the z33 ignition timing curve. for anybody that has such a combo, what do you think? i know its a stretch for the extra bucks and thats why im asking if it would be worth it.
They wont give you the IGN curve of the Z33. Apparently they've had issues. I tried fighting, not nearly tooth and nail, but in th end, figured it wasn't worth it. Also, no matter what you ask for, it is included in the F-spec price.

They will, however, give you the Z33 CVTC map.
Nmex, have you ever regretted your choice and wished you had just gotten an l-spec and lived without the z33 vtc map?
Ok so here you go:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...79&postcount=6

Short answer,
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 AM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
bigger hole in lower strut bolt hole or smaller bolt in upper strut

camber plates

camber bolts
That's what I was thinking, but I'm no mechanic. Thanks for the confirmation
Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 AM

I've seen a ot of discussion about the CD ERRF0 code, but no mention of CD ERR F3, which is what i've been getting occassionaly. Is there something specific about the codes or does the stock 6 CD changer just suck?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by kjchevy3
I've seen a ot of discussion about the CD ERRF0 code, but no mention of CD ERR F3, which is what i've been getting occassionaly. Is there something specific about the codes or does the stock 6 CD changer just suck?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...97&postcount=5

It does just suck, actually.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Short answer,
sorry im not sure i understand. if you had the choice, would you go the same route or just l-spec?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Interesting, this isn't happening with burned CD's however. So far they have all been purchased ones.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

sorry im not sure i understand. if you had the choice, would you go the same route or just l-spec?
I wouldn't get an L-spec.

Originally Posted by kjchevy3
Interesting, this isn't happening with burned CD's however. So far they have all been purchased ones.
Your best bet would be to search using that error as your criteria, that's what I did to get that post. But in other words, it still just sucks.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where to get coil connectors

One of the pushdown/popup connectors for the coil-on-plug units is broken on my 2000 Maxima. Does anyone know where I can get a new connector to splice in place of the broken one? I obviously don't want to replace the whole wiring harness.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by hzrabbie
One of the pushdown/popup connectors for the coil-on-plug units is broken on my 2000 Maxima. Does anyone know where I can get a new connector to splice in place of the broken one? I obviously don't want to replace the whole wiring harness.
junkyard
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

I bought an entire harness for 75$ ( www.car-part.com )and use it as I need it. Comes in very handy at times like that ^^
Old 04-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Guys, wondering if i can get any advice? So here is my deal.......
I have a 2000 maxima gle with 125k miles on it, i bought with 115k on it

My cars SES, TCS, and SLIP lights are on.
The SES has recently started flashing sometimes while driving.
When my car is stopped it begins or when im driving slow u can feel it shaking.
The OBD 2 scanner gives codes of p1320 p0300 and p0430, multiple cylinder misfire, random misfire, and catalytic converter needing to be replaced. Sometimes when i try to accelerate over 40mph, it gets stuck at 2000rpms and does not want to go over. Im thinking i need to replace my coil pack (they dont have gray dots on them) I replaced spark plugs but still getting the same issue. TCS and SLIP lights only come on when the feels like shaking. What do you guys think? All help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

You need coils. Also, TCS / SLIP perhaps might be an ABS sensor.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread