5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Is Nissan the only place to get an 02 SE Manual Passenger side axle? I am faced with violent shuddering only when the engine is under load... I can even feel it at low speeds which feels like hitting a bump every wheel revolution. I'm assuming its either the inner CV joint or the retainer bearing that bolts on with the 3 bolts on the shaft. I had the axle R&R'ed and still have the same issue. So I'm thinking they didnt fix that bearing or joint properly. Do I need to spend $550 on for a new Nissan one or is there another place I can find one??

Thanks,
Clark
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM

In addition, the Retainer bearing seems to have a VERY slight play on the axle. The same shop that did the R&R says that it will cost $75 - $100 more to replace that retainer bearing, so its evident they didnt replace it. I'm hoping someone has dealt with this and can give me some advice before I spend another $100 on this and it being not the problem.

My options seem to be:
1. Replace Retainer Bearing $75 - $100 (hoping this is the actual problem)
2. Attempt AutoZone Axle - about $60 after core return
3. Get new Nissan Axle - $550 (don't want this to be an option)

Getting an axle from Autozone is the cheapest route out of the three but I hear that its not a good chance it will be correct.

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Not sure what you mean by, not a good chance it will be correct. I've been using AZ axles for years,

Also, if your axle were that bad, you'd have far greater problems. IMO, it sounds more likely to be your bearing assembly. You can get those for cheap off of any online parts store You shouldn't be paying more than 60$ for it, and the shop shouldn't charge more than 75$ to isntall it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM

I did a search but I got a couple of dead links (even with the show old thread trick).

Anyway... I want to replace the gauge cluster of my 2000 GLE with an SE cluster... what do i need and what year clusters could I use... I know it has to be an auto cluster since mine is that.

also whats the deal with the fuel filter... i when to autozone to get one since the car just hit 100k and they told me i need to whole fuel pump assembly... true or bs?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM

I have been reading on here some people have had problems with AZ being the wrong axles when ordered for the MT.
for example:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=axle

And are you talking about the Retainer Bearing assembly? The shop said it would be $75 - $100 including the bearing I believe. I have already replaced the wheel bearing and have confirmed thats not the current issue.

This all stemmed from a pothole that I hit a couple months ago on the passenger side. Broke the wheel bearing, and the vibration started. At first the vibration wasn't so bad, but it got much worse over time. I hope to finally put an end to this problem.

I'm considering trying the AZ axle....

Last edited by DaBoxSE; 05-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
I have been reading on here some people have had problems with AZ being the wrong axles when ordered for the MT.
for example:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=axle

And are you talking about the Retainer Bearing assembly? The shop said it would be $75 - $100 including the bearing I believe.
Try NAPA,

And that sounds like a good price for the bearing work.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Hey guys, im having a problem with one of my blinkers in an 01 max and im not sure what the problem is... The right one is fine but the left one blinks a lot faster when its on, does anyone know what the problem is?
its fine outside it just blinks fast on the dash.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Hey guys, I have a brake install question. I just got some akebono brake pads in the mail today and I'm gonna install them soon. Do I really need to resurface the rotors before I put the pads on, or is that one of those unnecessary disclaimers? I don't have any wheel vibration when braking from any speed, so I'm thinking the rotors are fine. Can I just clean the rotors, slap the pads on, and be good to go?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I AM NEW HERE AND DONT WANT TO SOUND DUMB BUT IS THIS WHERE I POST A NEW QUESTION ABOUT MY 02 MAX?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by mrfixit3500
I AM NEW HERE AND DONT WANT TO SOUND DUMB BUT IS THIS WHERE I POST A NEW QUESTION ABOUT MY 02 MAX?
yup...post away
Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help Please...Just bought a 2002 black on black MT Max,This Is My Second Max,First Was a 91, Had It 3 Years With Over 200K Miles And Never Had Any Problems .Just Bought My 02 Last Month And Have 3 Problems Already,Sunroof is Dead To The World,and SES Light Came on 2 Weeks Ago .Brought it To Autozone and They Said I Had A Large Leak in The EVAP SYS.So I Bought A New Gas Cap and Today(2 weeks later) The Light Went off.Is That Normal.As For The Sunroof I Checked The Inside Fusebox and Under The Hood,All Good.Does Anyone Know What Fuse To Look For?Oh And Last But Not Least The Bose 6 cd Skipps in The Morning.Any Answers would be helpfull.Thanx

Last edited by mrfixit3500; 05-19-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Hey guys, im having a problem with one of my blinkers in an 01 max and im not sure what the problem is... The right one is fine but the left one blinks a lot faster when its on, does anyone know what the problem is?
its fine outside it just blinks fast on the dash.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Have you checked the bulbs both front and back? Usually when you have a burned out bulb, it blinks real fast on that side.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Hey guys I'm new to modding and tuning cars and my 2k max is my first project car. I've done some reading and it seems cattman is the way to go with exhaust. I want new Headers, y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust system but Cattman doesn't have Headers for sale on the website, I see the y pipe and catt-back exhaust, but no exhaust manifolds. Am i missing something? And since the y-pipe replaces some of the precats, will I fail emissions and/or need to get my A/F tuned? I know their are a lot of smart people on here so I figure I'd ask. Any input would be very appreciated!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
Hey guys I'm new to modding and tuning cars and my 2k max is my first project car. I've done some reading and it seems cattman is the way to go with exhaust. I want new Headers, y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust system but Cattman doesn't have Headers for sale on the website, I see the y pipe and catt-back exhaust, but no exhaust manifolds. Am i missing something? And since the y-pipe replaces some of the precats, will I fail emissions and/or need to get my A/F tuned? I know their are a lot of smart people on here so I figure I'd ask. Any input would be very appreciated!!!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=561415
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=61
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Have you checked the bulbs both front and back? Usually when you have a burned out bulb, it blinks real fast on that side.
check front and back.. if both bulbs are fine, then it might be a switch or something inside the console
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89
Hey guys, I have a brake install question. I just got some akebono brake pads in the mail today and I'm gonna install them soon. Do I really need to resurface the rotors before I put the pads on, or is that one of those unnecessary disclaimers? I don't have any wheel vibration when braking from any speed, so I'm thinking the rotors are fine. Can I just clean the rotors, slap the pads on, and be good to go?
anybody?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

anybody?
In th past, I've installed JUST the pads when the rotors were fine. If there is no shaking / vibration, just do it. But in order to do it right, most will say a complete brake job, (minus calipers) should require resurface of rotors.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, a newbie question: I have a 2002 maxima. My mechanic said my rear calipers "freeze" and need to be replaced. He said it will be expensive. He put in new brake pads for both front and real brakes, but told me the rear ones do not work since the frozen calipers. My question is: is it hard to replace the rear calipers by myself? Where to get the parts?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM

check front and back.. if both bulbs are fine, then it might be a switch or something inside the console

Both of the outside bulbs work fine its just the inside one that blinks repeatedly. sometimes it doesnt but most of the time it does, does any1 know how to fix it?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by econfan
Hi guys, a newbie question: I have a 2002 maxima. My mechanic said my rear calipers "freeze" and need to be replaced. He said it will be expensive. He put in new brake pads for both front and real brakes, but told me the rear ones do not work since the frozen calipers. My question is: is it hard to replace the rear calipers by myself? Where to get the parts?

Thanks!
When I first got my car a few years back, I THOUGHT my rear calipers froze, but it turned out, they didn't. All i needed to do was regrease the sliding pins in the read. They have been fine ever since.

Try regreasing the sliding pins first, then proceed from there.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
When I first got my car a few years back, I THOUGHT my rear calipers froze, but it turned out, they didn't. All i needed to do was regrease the sliding pins in the read. They have been fine ever since.

Try regreasing the sliding pins first, then proceed from there.
My mechanic said it's a common problem with maxima's. How to regrease the sliding pins? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

My mechanic said it's a common problem with maxima's. How to regrease the sliding pins? Thanks.
Have you ever done rear brakes on a 4th or 5th gen Maxima?

If not, buy a Haynes, it walks you through.http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
^ That's very vague though. It is seriously really easy once you have the wheel/tire removed.

If that mechanic told you to go poop in your own food and eat it, would you?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM

anybody?
I recently changed the rear pads on my maxima while keeping the same rotors. Everything seems to be working fine for me but from what I hear is to get the most out of your brakes they should be cut and/or replaced with pads.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM

ok.. thanks guys.. i'll just do the pads then.. if this freakin rain ever stops!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you ever done rear brakes on a 4th or 5th gen Maxima?

If not, buy a Haynes, it walks you through.http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
^ That's very vague though. It is seriously really easy once you have the wheel/tire removed.

If that mechanic told you to go poop in your own food and eat it, would you?
Well, that's a bad analogy, would your nutritionist recommend you doing that?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Well, that's a bad analogy, would your nutritionist recommend you doing that?
Moral of the story, don't believe everything your mechanic tells you unless you've inspected the vehicle yourself. Like I said, I myself thought my rear calipers were sticking, and found that was not the case, saved some money in the long run.

I am my own nutritionist, and I wouldn't tell myself that.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by T3hGman
Both of the outside bulbs work fine its just the inside one that blinks repeatedly. sometimes it doesnt but most of the time it does, does any1 know how to fix it?
The inside bulb is fixed w/ the outside bulbs. Sounds like you have an intermittent problem. Check the bulbs of the lights in question, change if necessary (cheap as sin), also check your fuses. Most likely not your fuses though.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:15 PM

i checked, none of them are out, but the inside left blinker and the outside rear left blinker blink alot faster than the other, how do i fix this?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Aren't there 2 precats before the main catalytic converter? I'm getting a full cattman exhaust system and I want to know if installing the y pipe(thus getting rid of the precats) will make me fail emissions. And/or will I need to get my A/F controlelr or get my A/F tuned? Thanks a lot!
Old 05-17-2008, 01:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by T3hGman
i checked, none of them are out, but the inside left blinker and the outside rear left blinker blink alot faster than the other, how do i fix this?
It's referred to as resistance ... get new bulbs.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Aren't there 2 precats before the main catalytic converter? I'm getting a full cattman exhaust system and I want to know if installing the y pipe(thus getting rid of the precats) will make me fail emissions. And/or will I need to get my A/F controlelr or get my A/F tuned? Thanks a lot!
AF should always be 'controlled', pre cats or not...
Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Cletus

depends....
00 fed spec - y-pipe removes both precats
00 cali and all 01 - removes one of the precats (pretty sure thats the case)
02/03 - y-pipe does not remove precats...you need headers for that
Old 05-17-2008, 09:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

As long as your main cat is still in place, you can pass emissions.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 AM

As long as your main cat is still in place, you can pass emissions.
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Make sure and warm it up completely prior to getting tested.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM

hi guys,

brought the car into the shop, with cel, code was for the egr...mechanic cleaned throttle body/egr hoses etc, reset computer and drove around...light came back on, says the prob is either egr it self or sensor

question is does anybody know which sensor it could be?

i appologize for not listing the code because the light came on some time ago.

thanks,
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM

I just pulled the P1320 Code. I read the coil testing thread but Have a question.

I have a multimeter but it doesn't have 20k OHMs, it just have auto OHMS, is that good enough for this test? and what do these numbers mean?
The +1-2, what do they represent? And when I test them, Do i stick both red and black tester on 1 prong at at time? THanks for your help.
(Cylinder #1)
+1-2
+1-3
-1+2
-1+3
-2+3
+2-3
Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by stocked out max

i appologize for not listing the code because the light came on some time ago.

thanks,
Get the code again.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread