5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smog Test

hi,
i just recently bought a preowned maxima 02 SE with a frankencar intake already installed in it. it so happens i had to take a smog test but couldn't beacuse there is no EO number for this intake. the previous owner didnt have the stock intake so i cant replace it and take the test.. any suggestions? i live in southern california are there any test centers that will pass it for me or can anyone give me a cheaper intake that i could change it to?
any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxima630
hi,
i just recently bought a preowned maxima 02 SE with a frankencar intake already installed in it. it so happens i had to take a smog test but couldn't beacuse there is no EO number for this intake. the previous owner didnt have the stock intake so i cant replace it and take the test.. any suggestions? i live in southern california are there any test centers that will pass it for me or can anyone give me a cheaper intake that i could change it to?
any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks.
Can't help ya too much there. Only in California do they have stupid regulations like that. No wonder why everyone is fleeing that state. Take a look at Injen, they claim their intakes are CARB certified.

http://www.injen.com/docs/products/listing.asp?pcc=is
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Over All guys My advise to anyone that owns one of these 01 maxima's must have the IACV replaced every 80,000 miles as standard maintenance or you will be buying an ecu as well.
Yeah, everyone who has over 80k miles needs to go waste money on a IACV...... Please show me in the manual where it needs to be replaced at 80k .
Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Yeah, everyone who has over 80k miles needs to go waste money on a IACV...... Please show me in the manual where it needs to be replaced at 80k .
there is no manual for it it's a real facts!!! i did resaerch about this 2 month on, why Nissan didn't write this on service manual cuz' it's a manufacturer problem and when ur ecu will burn it's very costly $$$, tell me if everybody will know about this problem be4 buy this 5th gen maxima, who will buy this cars?
honestly i didn't know that this cars has manufacturer problems untill i bought one! And people should know this that their IACV have to be repleced on 80K, After i fix my car i want to trade it to M/T 6 speed or 5 speed Maxima, i hope i will find who doesn't like their M/T and swap it

Last edited by Herofmine; 01-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:19 PM

there is no manual for it it's a real facts!!! i did resaerch about this 2 month on, why Nissan didn't write this on service manual cuz' it's a manufacturer problem and when ur ecu will burn it's very costly $$$, tell me if everybody will know about this problem be4 buy this 5th gen maxima, who will buy this cars?
honestly i didn't know that this cars has manufacturer problems untill i bought one! And people should know this that their IACV have to be repleced on 80K, After i fix my car i want to trade it to M/T 6 speed or 5 speed Maxima, i hope i will find who doesn't like their M/T and swap it
I'm over 80k miles without any issues at all, along with most people on this board. You are assuming everyone has problems. Nissan manufactured hundreds of thousands of these vehicles. So what if a few thousand need the IACV replace. I'm betting we should all get new transmissions and engines at 100k.........
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I'm over 80k miles without any issues at all, along with most people on this board. You are assuming everyone has problems. Nissan manufactured hundreds of thousands of these vehicles. So what if a few thousand need the IACV replace. I'm betting we should all get new transmissions and engines at 100k.........
Maybe u right i think they make cars for example 2009 cars starting to sell at August 2008, and maybe there is some in several month cars was comming with some defects but when i did research 60%-70% Maxima owners had IACV idle speed control problem and 96% have O2 sensor problems.
Ewplace trans and engines at 100K? lol my old infiniti i30 had more than 200K and never had any problems with this car, i used to push my gas pedal all the way down)) car was great but i got in accident cab driver hit me from front and car was totaled by insurance company, u know depends how u keep ur car
Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM

i did research 60%-70% Maxima owners had IACV idle speed control problem and 96% have O2 sensor problems.
What, did you ask only one person? What research is this, where is the data to prove this? I think you are pulling #'s out your butt. I've been on these boards a long time, and if 96% of us had O2 problems, and 70% had IACV, we would not own these vehicles. Come on man...face it..your car needed repair and now you are trying to say everyone's car is doomed.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM

What, did you ask only one person? What research is this, where is the data to prove this? I think you are pulling #'s out your butt. I've been on these boards a long time, and if 96% of us had O2 problems, and 70% had IACV, we would not own these vehicles. Come on man...face it..your car needed repair and now you are trying to say everyone's car is doomed.
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/nissan/maxima/2001/
take a look how many +/- , if u would in my position u will know it, i went to dealer they trying to charge 1500$ around this or more to fix my car and they don't know what a fu** is wrong with this car other mechanics they give up all of them told me to go to dealer, what's the reason? why IACV dies? and burns ECU? nobody knows it could u tell me? , everybody is keep saying to change IACV and ecu, but after it will get fixed problem can come up again cuz' maybe there is some problems which we don't know?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/nissan/maxima/2001/
take a look how many +/- , if u would in my position u will know it, i went to dealer they trying to charge 1500$ around this or more to fix my car and they don't know what a fu** is wrong with this car other mechanics they give up all of them told me to go to dealer, what's the reason? why IACV dies? and burns ECU? nobody knows it could u tell me? , everybody is keep saying to change IACV and ecu, but after it will get fixed problem can come up again cuz' maybe there is some problems which we don't know?
Dude, there are only 36 reviews on that link you provided. lol

I think this sums up the website:

Warning, these statistics are based on a biased sample, so should be treated with caution
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Dude, there are only 36 reviews on that link you provided. lol

I think this sums up the website:
this was just a sample for ur words there is bunch of forums and everybody keep saying about same problem
whatever i hope i'm not right, let's see after fix my car what will happen
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am thinking about purchasing the stock 07' SE 18'' rims and was wondering if I could go one size wider which would be 255/45/18. Stock is 245/45/18, any one know if the wider tire will fit?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by maximizeme
I am thinking about purchasing the stock 07' SE 18'' rims and was wondering if I could go one size wider which would be 255/45/18. Stock is 245/45/18, any one know if the wider tire will fit?
Use search function.It is your friend. Tires & wheels section below.

http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...7-5in-rim.html
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 maxima front bumper replace.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had pictures on how to replace a front bumper on a 2003 maxima.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Justin22584
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had pictures on how to replace a front bumper on a 2003 maxima.
No pics but this may help> http://forums.maxima.org/2147160-post4.html
Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to retrofit HID Projectors onto my '00 Maxima. Help?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by prestonvq30
I want to retrofit HID Projectors onto my '00 Maxima. Help?
I told you in another thread to search the site. I came up with over 258 hits searching for "HID retrofit", I didn't even try "HID conversion, HID's, etc."

There's an old saying:

"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I told you in another thread to search the site. I came up with over 258 hits searching for "HID retrofit", I didn't even try "HID conversion, HID's, etc."

There's an old saying:

"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."
And that's exactly what I did. And it came up with 2xx hits. 2xx hits does me no good. I looked through 10 - 15 of the threads and found a lot of ****head answers and a lot of fail.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM

you would prob be better off jsut buyign 5.5 gen headlights....there legal, and they look better!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission questions

Hey guys I finally decided to create an account for Maxima.org and I have a few questions being new. I've heard all this hype about auto to manual transmission swaps and have decided that with the auto transmission that I've had rebuilt twice already acting up it may be time to consider fronting the money/time for a manual conversion. So basically I figured this would be the place to come and ask for info and advice into the subject.
First off I have a 2000 Maxima running the VQ30DE-K engine with ~120k miles on it and not a single problem ever besides the trans. Second off I've done some research into the manual swaps and heard all sorts of stuff (mainly that it's hard) to which I would like to say that I am not incompetent when it comes to mechanics and have a friend with a shop that I've talked to and is willing to help me with the swap should I decide to go through with it.
With that said I'll take all the help and advice I can get and would appreciate it if someone could post some links to similar swaps as I am fairly certain I have seen ones here in the past.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Does anyone know if my car can fit with the rims Enkei Evo5 17 X 7 with 42 offset. I wanna get that rims without buying new tires, so i can put them into the new rims. now i'm running 235-45-17 on my stock rims SE. Is that ok to run such tires on my car?

thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
you would prob be better off jsut buyign 5.5 gen headlights....there legal, and they look better!
NOBODY WANTS LEGAL! We want diversity.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 AM

And that's exactly what I did. And it came up with 2xx hits. 2xx hits does me no good. I looked through 10 - 15 of the threads and found a lot of ****head answers and a lot of fail.
I posted this about two weeks ago> http://forums.maxima.org/6812946-post7474.html

this will tell how to bake headlight> http://www.shiftice.com/clear_HIDs.html

you will need something like this or similar>2 ballasts and two igniters.These happen to have built in igniters> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...Q5fAccessories

For single xenon i used this diagram to wire them> http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hid-...e-filament.gif

of course the ebay headlights or similar>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

If all this makes no sense them you may be better off finding a retrofitter here to do it for you.

There's an old saying:

he's right.There are many people here who refuse to use search for themselves and so they get thrashed.You did take the time to at least read through some of them.Hope this helps.

Last edited by memphisballer; 01-30-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM

I did a retrofit on my 00 Maxima and didn't know a thing about how to do it prior to searching and reading information on this site. You've got to do your homework. Nobody else can do it for you. I retrofitted Ebay projectors with TSX projectors and Bosch ballasts/igniters from a Mercedes SL with no prior knowledge.

I searched on this site and found tons of useful information that made the retrofit possible as well as very successful. Two years later I haven't had a problem with my HIDs.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM

i found a white clean piece attacked to me intake box, what is it and is it needed?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Replaced ECU, still having issues...

I recently replaced the ECU in my wifes 03 because the windows did not work, nor the sun roof or rear defroster. Now, the windows DO work, the rear defroster DOES work, but the sunroof DOES NOT work...and when I turn the car off and open the door, both front windows roll down automatically by themselves. Whats the deal? The ECU I got is for an 03 6spd, but the model matches, which is an SE...

I tried unhooking the battery to reset everything, but no dice.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by maximal01
i found a white clean piece attacked to me intake box, what is it and is it needed?
.....what
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Duckhead
I recently replaced the ECU in my wifes 03 because the windows did not work, nor the sun roof or rear defroster. Now, the windows DO work, the rear defroster DOES work, but the sunroof DOES NOT work...and when I turn the car off and open the door, both front windows roll down automatically by themselves. Whats the deal? The ECU I got is for an 03 6spd, but the model matches, which is an SE...

I tried unhooking the battery for a couple hours to reset everything, but no dice.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the keyless entry doesnt work either. i tried doing the "key on for 5 seconds and off for 10 seconds and repeat once," but it didnt work. I also tried "holding the lock and unlick buttons on the remote at the same time for like 3 seconds", but that didnt do anything either.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Also, the keyless entry doesnt work either. i tried doing the "key on for 5 seconds and off for 10 seconds and repeat once," but it didnt work. I also tried "holding the lock and unlick buttons on the remote at the same time for like 3 seconds", but that didnt do anything either.
Did you get the ECU reprogrammed for your vehicle?

The door locks/moonroof are also controlled the the Smart Entrance Control Unit.

Also, what led you to replace the ENGINE control module? The SECU controls all those things.

Last edited by VQP0WER; 01-30-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 PM

I did replace the Smart entry control unit. I need to know how to disable this automatic window roll down feature. Or at least figure out how to stop my windows from rolling down when I turn off the ignition....

Sorry I should have known to put the "S" on ECU.
I said ECU, not ECM.

Last edited by Duckhead; 01-30-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Hey fellow org members i got a quick question for you guys regarding to coolant/antifreeze issue or radiator issue. Anyways here a brief synopsis. Today before going to my morning class i let my car warmed up since it was cold out side then i popped the hood to check my fluids and the coolant caught my eye and the level was below the min mark a little. i thought nothing of it but when i was done class i went to a local AutoZone and got some Prestone 50/50 antifreeze and pour it in to top it off. so the level now is a little above max. While i was doing this i was also was looking for any leaks but no avail. Anyway so i started the car and i saw bubbles forming inside the coolant tank so i let it sit for a couple of hours and when i start the car up again i popped the hood to find that its in the middle mark so i drove around and when i got to my destination i popped the hood again and the fluid is above the middle mark. So now im confused on whats happening here anyone have any ideas? Thanks this is on my 5.5 gen
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
Hey fellow org members i got a quick question for you guys regarding to coolant/antifreeze issue or radiator issue. Anyways here a brief synopsis. Today before going to my morning class i let my car warmed up since it was cold out side then i popped the hood to check my fluids and the coolant caught my eye and the level was below the min mark a little. i thought nothing of it but when i was done class i went to a local AutoZone and got some Prestone 50/50 antifreeze and pour it in to top it off. so the level now is a little above max. While i was doing this i was also was looking for any leaks but no avail. Anyway so i started the car and i saw bubbles forming inside the coolant tank so i let it sit for a couple of hours and when i start the car up again i popped the hood to find that its in the middle mark so i drove around and when i got to my destination i popped the hood again and the fluid is above the middle mark. So now im confused on whats happening here anyone have any ideas? Thanks this is on my 5.5 gen
Sounds like you got air in the system. I would do a good flush.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 AM

I did replace the Smart entry control unit. I need to know how to disable this automatic window roll down feature. Or at least figure out how to stop my windows from rolling down when I turn off the ignition....

Sorry I should have known to put the "S" on ECU.
I said ECU, not ECM.
ECM/ECU = same thing ECU= engine control unit.

You need to get your SECU programmed.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

is it bad to drive with a bad MAF sensor
Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by riccio76
is it bad to drive with a bad MAF sensor
If it were ok to drive with a bad MAF, why would there be one? Get it replaced.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM

ECM/ECU = same thing ECU= engine control unit.

You need to get your SECU programmed.
Alright, sorry. I guess everyone calls stuff different names.

Anyway. How do I get My SECU reprogrammed? I tried the method of " get in car, and lock doors with button on door, and insert & remove key in the ignition 6 times, then hazards flash, then insert key one last time, push unlock button on remote, then remove key from ignition then unlock doors with button on door to take vehicle out of reprogram mode" thing, and it did in fact make my remote begin working again. But I still have the issue of my front windows rolling down when I turn the ignition off and opening the drivers door.
Just so its clear, here is how it goes down...
1. I get in the car.
2. I shut the door.
3. I start the car.
4. I turn off the car after after any given amount of time.
5. I open the drivers door.
6. Both front windows roll down all the way.
STEP 6 occurs regardless of how long I sit in the seat befor opening the door (after shutting the engine off). I can open the door immediately after turning off the car, or I can wait 15 or 20 seconds. But when I open that door, the windows go down.

Is there another type of reprogramming I need to do?
If it involves a sledge hammer or a flame thrower I'll be glad to put it to the car. (or any other type of demolition tool)

I read last night that this is a HUGE problem on the '08 Altima's....But it also seems to be an all around problem in the Nissan world in general.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 PM

Alright, sorry. I guess everyone calls stuff different names.

Anyway. How do I get My SECU reprogrammed? I tried the method of " get in car, and lock doors with button on door, and insert & remove key in the ignition 6 times, then hazards flash, then insert key one last time, push unlock button on remote, then remove key from ignition then unlock doors with button on door to take vehicle out of reprogram mode" thing, and it did in fact make my remote begin working again. But I still have the issue of my front windows rolling down when I turn the ignition off and opening the drivers door.
Just so its clear, here is how it goes down...
1. I get in the car.
2. I shut the door.
3. I start the car.
4. I turn off the car after after any given amount of time.
5. I open the drivers door.
6. Both front windows roll down all the way.
STEP 6 occurs regardless of how long I sit in the seat befor opening the door (after shutting the engine off). I can open the door immediately after turning off the car, or I can wait 15 or 20 seconds. But when I open that door, the windows go down.

Is there another type of reprogramming I need to do?
If it involves a sledge hammer or a flame thrower I'll be glad to put it to the car. (or any other type of demolition tool)

I read last night that this is a HUGE problem on the '08 Altima's....But it also seems to be an all around problem in the Nissan world in general.
Seems like a faulty SECU. I would also triple check the wiring.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Well thats where I started. The dealer told me it (SECU) WAS bad, so I got one from an individual off this website (who will remain nameless at this point) and I put it in and now, 75% of the stuff that didnt work before i changed it, now works. And where is there wiring to mess up? The plugs are keyed so it is impossible to put the wrong plug in the wrong hole on the SECU.
The only diff with the SECU i got from the guy here is that it came out of a 6spd.... I have an automatic... Year & model are the same. That shouldnt make a difference, should it?

Is this something that is covered under warranty? the dealer said NO.

This is stupid, as huge of a problem as this is for Nissan and no one on the internet, in all the places I searched last night, knows how to fix it or has posted up how it got fixed.?.?.?.?

Last edited by Duckhead; 01-31-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM

TRUNK LID RELEASE QUESTIONS!

hi guys
i recently bought an 01 max SE fully loaded with all the goodies. One thing i cant figure out is whether my car has a remote trunk opener or not. The trunk release button under the door is broken so i can only open the trunk with the key....
so my questions are
1> where can i find a replacement trunk release button other than from the dealer
2 > how do i know whether my car has a remote trunk opener or not? The fob i have seems to be aftermarket. Its from Prestige and it only has two buttons....one big one which locks and unlocks the car and one small green button which seems to do nothing.....the car does have an OEM security system and it did go off once and i had a really hard time turning it off...do i need a different fob? the one i have is this....
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PR...RM_p_5030.html
Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

Well thats where I started. The dealer told me it (SECU) WAS bad, so I got one from an individual off this website (who will remain nameless at this point) and I put it in and now, 75% of the stuff that didnt work before i changed it, now works. And where is there wiring to mess up? The plugs are keyed so it is impossible to put the wrong plug in the wrong hole on the SECU.
The only diff with the SECU i got from the guy here is that it came out of a 6spd.... I have an automatic... Year & model are the same. That shouldnt make a difference, should it?

Is this something that is covered under warranty? the dealer said NO.

This is stupid, as huge of a problem as this is for Nissan and no one on the internet, in all the places I searched last night, knows how to fix it or has posted up how it got fixed.?.?.?.?
Your best option would be to have Nissan hook up there Consult diagnostic machine too it and verify. I'de be asking why this person was selling the SECU to begin with? These things RARELY ever get replaced or removed unless there are issues.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
hi guys
i recently bought an 01 max SE fully loaded with all the goodies. One thing i cant figure out is whether my car has a remote trunk opener or not. The trunk release button under the door is broken so i can only open the trunk with the key....
so my questions are
1> where can i find a replacement trunk release button other than from the dealer
2 > how do i know whether my car has a remote trunk opener or not? The fob i have seems to be aftermarket. Its from Prestige and it only has two buttons....one big one which locks and unlocks the car and one small green button which seems to do nothing.....the car does have an OEM security system and it did go off once and i had a really hard time turning it off...do i need a different fob? the one i have is this....
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PR...RM_p_5030.html
All Max's have a trunk lease option on the keyfob. It seems whenever the other owner installed the aftermarket system, they clipped/bypasses the OEM functions. I'm not an alarm guy, so I cant help ya too much.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread