5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by needamaximaquick
OK,, I sent him a visotr and private message. Is there anywhere I can get a diagram of parts for the I35 and associated part numbers? Didn't know this could be so hard. Had no problem locating parts for the Malibu I used to have.
I hope you contacted DAVEB and not Dave B.

For parts, http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...03-c-1956.html

Courtesy uses their own numbering scheme for parts, they use the Nissan part code then the chassis code and an incrementing number. For actual part numbers, there are a few sites that'll show them IIRC, just don't know their addresses.

Everything but interior trim and body panels will be the same between the two cars, except of course for some parts that have the Nissan/Infiniti logo on them.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I hope you contacted DAVEB and not Dave B.

For parts, http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...03-c-1956.html

Courtesy uses their own numbering scheme for parts, they use the Nissan part code then the chassis code and an incrementing number. For actual part numbers, there are a few sites that'll show them IIRC, just don't know their addresses.

Everything but interior trim and body panels will be the same between the two cars, except of course for some parts that have the Nissan/Infiniti logo on them.
Thanks pmohr, you've been extremely helpful. So when looking for a part, I should just assume the car is a 2002 Maxima instead of a 2002 I35?

This is who I contacted: http://forums.maxima.org/members/daveb.html "I AM DAVEB the parts guy!"
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks pmohr, you've been extremely helpful. So when looking for a part, I should just assume the car is a 2002 Maxima instead of a 2002 I35?

This is who I contacted: http://forums.maxima.org/members/daveb.html "I AM DAVEB the parts guy!"
Correct, except for the above mentioned parts, nearly every single other part is identical.

And that's the correct person. He'll probably get back to you around mid day tomorrow, though sometimes he likes to check his PMs from home.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM

OK, I think I'm good...I'll exit this thread now so other [new] people can be helped.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all I'm new and I have a question. I just bought a 2003 Maxima with 63,000 miles on it and wanted to know if anyone can post a short list of the best websites for Nissan parts and accessories. A google searched turned up a few but I would really like to know what the members of this forum use.

I tried searching the forum and didn't find anything.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CrashPush
Hello all I'm new and I have a question. I just bought a 2003 Maxima with 63,000 miles on it and wanted to know if anyone can post a short list of the best websites for Nissan parts and accessories. A google searched turned up a few but I would really like to know what the members of this forum use.

I tried searching the forum and didn't find anything.
Either Courtesy, or Dave B (1-888-254-6060), you can see both recommendations right above your post on this page - http://forums.maxima.org/6918346-post7881.html
Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Either Courtesy, or Dave B (1-888-254-6060), you can see both recommendations right above your post on this page - http://forums.maxima.org/6918346-post7881.html
Question, how did you know that the VIAS Solenoid Control Valve is part number 14955-8J10A? I call around to different dealers and no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Question, how did you know that the VIAS Solenoid Control Valve is part number 14955-8J10A? I call around to different dealers and no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
I'm special.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Is this a freely available program? I'm guessing no....

I called one dealer and they were like do I need the driver or the passenger side one....
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Is this a freely available program? I'm guessing no....

I called one dealer and they were like do I need the driver or the passenger side one....
There are places to download it, but not this version (mine is a 2009 copy, got it from a friend at Nissan). See phatg20.net
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Im in the process of selling my '00 SE to get a 3.5L Max........ Are '02s ok as far as being the first year with the 3.5 or are '03s a safer bet ?

thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by speed3000gt
Im in the process of selling my '00 SE to get a 3.5L Max........ Are '02s ok as far as being the first year with the 3.5 or are '03s a safer bet ?

thanks
You'll be fine either way.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 AM

Any opinion on PowerSlot Cryo Rotors?

I've a question regarding brakes on my 2003 SE 6MT, and am hoping to find helpful opinions on how to go forward. Since 2003, I replaced:
  • Rear rotors and pads at 20K miles (Nissan OEM)
  • Front rotors and pads at 30K miles (Brembo OEM)
  • Rear rotors and pads again at 40K miles (Brembo OEM)
...and now my brakes are going bad again at 50K miles. What gives? (It's not me.) I'm thinking there's an inherent design flaw in the brake specs on the 2003 Maxima. I've read similar issues on the first-generation G35.

So, has anyone have any experience or opinion on these PowerSlot Cryo rotors?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

halo projectors and HIDs

Hello, I'm new here and I've tried doing research on this topic but didn't find anything specific so I thought I'd ask a question.

I have a 2001 Maxima SE and was wondering if someone could point out any potential problems I may run into installing halo projector headlights with an HID kit. Has anyone given this a shot and had successful results?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by shadow max
Hello, I'm new here and I've tried doing research on this topic but didn't find anything specific so I thought I'd ask a question.

I have a 2001 Maxima SE and was wondering if someone could point out any potential problems I may run into installing halo projector headlights with an HID kit. Has anyone given this a shot and had successful results?
Search more, there has got to be a billion threads on this.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM

A billion and one now!!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM

pmohr, what type of car did you use to lookup the VIAS solenoid. I went to an Infiniti dealer and they don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Asked me for driver or passenger side. I gave them that part number you listed but they couldn't find it that way either. It's odd because the 02 I35 FSM shows what/where the VIAS Solenoid Control Valve is, but it doesn't give a P/N.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
No more Maximas...

pmohr, what type of car did you use to lookup the VIAS solenoid. I went to an Infiniti dealer and they don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Asked me for driver or passenger side. I gave them that part number you listed but they couldn't find it that way either. It's odd because the 02 I35 FSM shows what/where the VIAS Solenoid Control Valve is, but it doesn't give a P/N.
It's an A33B part nimber, it shows that in the screenshot above.

The FSM never has part numbers, and as I said, Nissan and Infiniti part numbers are different. Just get one from the classifieds, cheapest place to get one.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM

Okay, I was reciently gifted a 2000 Maxima GXE and well, the steering column is crooked. I dont mean the alignments off and the wheel is turned to keep the car traking staight, I mean that there is a big gap in the steering cloumn shroud on the left and NO gap on the right side. I can slide my hand along the left side of the column and back into the dash (some what). It's to the point that I have to reach out slightly further with my right arm than my left to grip the wheel.

Does anyone know how I could move the steering column slightly left, just enought to even the wheel and gaps out? I think there are bolts underneath the dash but I cant tell if the are adjustable as Icam too tall and wide to really see under the dash.

Also, I'm not too sure on the history of the car but Carfax says it's clear.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM

It's an A33B part nimber, it shows that in the screenshot above.

The FSM never has part numbers, and as I said, Nissan and Infiniti part numbers are different. Just get one from the classifieds, cheapest place to get one.
There's no search results in the classifieds and Dave B wants $160. I at least want to find alternate places to purchase but I don't even know specifically what to look for since Infiniti can't even tell me what part I need.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 AM

There's no search results in the classifieds and Dave B wants $160. I at least want to find alternate places to purchase but I don't even know specifically what to look for since Infiniti can't even tell me what part I need.
If you sprung the money for a '02 Infinite, you can't afford $160? DaveB has the best prices around besides some used part.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
If you sprung the money for a '02 Infinite, you can't afford $160? DaveB has the best prices around besides some used part.
Didn't say I couldn't afford it. My point was I wanted to make sure I know exactly what I get so that I could at least "shop around". Nothing wrong with that, no matter what car you drive. What I paid for the car has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Jerking and Pinging

HEy guys,

I am new here.

I have an 02 SE. with approx 98K miles.

I am not car savy so i will explain my problem as best i can.
REcently i have been experiencing this jerking problem. If I accelerate at a gradual speed their is no jerk and i can reach top speeds. However if i put too much gas down, everytime the car goes to shift it jerks horribly. If i really try to floor the pedal it just jerks rapidly. This is not only frustrating but also dangerous.(IE, i try to get out of a corner quickly before a car gets up on me and then it just jerks) (No one can tell me whats the problem.)

I bought my MAX for the stock performance so this is really frustrating.

I have also recently Had problems with some pinging. (My mechanic adjusted the timing but that didnt fix anything. It still pings when i try to accelerate to quikly or even moderately. I only usually hear it during the 1st-3rd gear

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oski H
HEy guys,

I am new here.

I have an 02 SE. with approx 98K miles.

I am not car savy so i will explain my problem as best i can.
REcently i have been experiencing this jerking problem. If I accelerate at a gradual speed their is no jerk and i can reach top speeds. However if i put too much gas down, everytime the car goes to shift it jerks horribly. If i really try to floor the pedal it just jerks rapidly. This is not only frustrating but also dangerous.(IE, i try to get out of a corner quickly before a car gets up on me and then it just jerks) (No one can tell me whats the problem.)

I bought my MAX for the stock performance so this is really frustrating.

I have also recently Had problems with some pinging. (My mechanic adjusted the timing but that didnt fix anything. It still pings when i try to accelerate to quikly or even moderately. I only usually hear it during the 1st-3rd gear

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated
I would start by checking the transmission fluid level and condition. The fluid should be pink or red, not black or brown. It should not smell burnt. Be sure to check either the hot or cold side of the stick, depending on whether the vehicle has been driven or not.

Beyond that, the factory service manual has a series of fuel circuit tests to perform as a matter of ellimination until the actual problem is identified. Wait for others opinions, but I believe this is one you'll want to take to a Nissan dealer. They know their vehicles.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by diverdown3
I would start by checking the transmission fluid level and condition. The fluid should be pink or red, not black or brown. It should not smell burnt. Be sure to check either the hot or cold side of the stick, depending on whether the vehicle has been driven or not.

Beyond that, the factory service manual has a series of fuel circuit tests to perform as a matter of ellimination until the actual problem is identified. Wait for others opinions, but I believe this is one you'll want to take to a Nissan dealer. They know their vehicles.
I'll check the fluid. However their is only one nissan dealer where i am and they wont take my car unless i purchased it from them (Which i did not)
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by speed3000gt

thanks

I would say 03

Upgraded ECU and MAF
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
I've a question regarding brakes on my 2003 SE 6MT, and am hoping to find helpful opinions on how to go forward. Since 2003, I replaced:
  • Rear rotors and pads at 20K miles (Nissan OEM)
  • Front rotors and pads at 30K miles (Brembo OEM)
  • Rear rotors and pads again at 40K miles (Brembo OEM)
...and now my brakes are going bad again at 50K miles. What gives? (It's not me.) I'm thinking there's an inherent design flaw in the brake specs on the 2003 Maxima. I've read similar issues on the first-generation G35.

So, has anyone have any experience or opinion on these PowerSlot Cryo rotors?

Cryo treated rotors will not last longer. They just dont warp as easily.

You need to find out why the brakes are prematurely wearing out. Is it only the rears wearing out? Who is telling you this? Is it a shop? Is there uneven wear on the pads.

Need more info than what you're providing.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
You need to find out why the brakes are prematurely wearing out. Is it only the rears wearing out? Who is telling you this? Is it a shop? Is there uneven wear on the pads.
Hey 77 - thanks for the response.

At each brake job, the rotors and pads were each noticeably worn down, and no - the pads were worn down evenly. New brakes were needed.

3 out of the 4 calipers are factory originals, and 1 is a factory rebuild. Right now the fronts are 20K into Brembo OEM and Hawk Pads, and the rears are 10K into Brembo OEM and... (not hawk, I forget the brand.)

Anyway, the brake issue I'm feeling right now is a pulsation in the car. There's no shudder in the pedal or steering wheel, but the car slows down with a pulsating effect... it's no longer smooth at all. Very frustrating.

I've read comments about pad material deposit spots on the rotors. Do you think?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys,

I had a question about 2002/2003 Maxima SE's. I tried searching for topics on the tail lights, but I can't seem to pin point anything. I did find something on Yahoo Answers but one answer said yes, and one said no.

Anyway, I will probably trade my 99 Altima SE for a 2002/2003 Maxima SE, but I would rather have the smoke gray/black tail lights of the 2000/2001 model instead of the clear crystal tail lights of the 2002/2003.

Question is, will the 2000/2001 tail lights fit in a 2002/2003 model?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Trantice
Hi guys,

I had a question about 2002/2003 Maxima SE's. I tried searching for topics on the tail lights, but I can't seem to pin point anything. I did find something on Yahoo Answers but one answer said yes, and one said no.

Anyway, I will probably trade my 99 Altima SE for a 2002/2003 Maxima SE, but I would rather have the smoke gray/black tail lights of the 2000/2001 model instead of the clear crystal tail lights of the 2002/2003.

Question is, will the 2000/2001 tail lights fit in a 2002/2003 model?
Yes, they fit. People switch them out all the time.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
It's business time.

Hey 77 - thanks for the response.

At each brake job, the rotors and pads were each noticeably worn down, and no - the pads were worn down evenly. New brakes were needed.

3 out of the 4 calipers are factory originals, and 1 is a factory rebuild. Right now the fronts are 20K into Brembo OEM and Hawk Pads, and the rears are 10K into Brembo OEM and... (not hawk, I forget the brand.)

Anyway, the brake issue I'm feeling right now is a pulsation in the car. There's no shudder in the pedal or steering wheel, but the car slows down with a pulsating effect... it's no longer smooth at all. Very frustrating.

I've read comments about pad material deposit spots on the rotors. Do you think?

OEM pads are crap. Next time you purchase pads get them from a GD on the .org.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM

EVOII for an 02 SE

Sorry to be a hassle here guys but I really didn't get an answer from my first post.

I NEED exhaust for my 2k2. I really want to go with the Greddy EVOII system but depending on where I go or who I talk to they either tell me it will fit on my 02 3.5 or that it only fits 00-01 3.0.

Which is it? Will it fit? Will it not fit? Does anyone here have an 02 max with a Greddy exhaust?

I was referred earlier to a link where a guy said it "might" and "probably" will fit. I need a better answer before I drop $600 on it.

Please help me out guys... I'm ready to buy today!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by C-Young
Sorry to be a hassle here guys but I really didn't get an answer from my first post.

I NEED exhaust for my 2k2. I really want to go with the Greddy EVOII system but depending on where I go or who I talk to they either tell me it will fit on my 02 3.5 or that it only fits 00-01 3.0.

Which is it? Will it fit? Will it not fit? Does anyone here have an 02 max with a Greddy exhaust?

I was referred earlier to a link where a guy said it "might" and "probably" will fit. I need a better answer before I drop $600 on it.

Please help me out guys... I'm ready to buy today!
FYI: Cali-spec 3.0 catbacks and 5.5 gens catbacks are interchangeable.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ent-issue.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-02-03-a.html
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
FYI: Cali-spec 3.0 catbacks and 5.5 gens catbacks are interchangeable.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ent-issue.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-02-03-a.html
Thanks for the info. It seems that it has and will fit according to a few members. I'm going to give it a shot!

If anyone else has any information on this please let me know.

Curious... what do most think is the best cat-back exhaust? Or at least give me a top 5. What do most people go with? I see a lot of cattman and apexi... any others worth a look?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by C-Young
Thanks for the info. It seems that it has and will fit according to a few members. I'm going to give it a shot!

If anyone else has any information on this please let me know.

Curious... what do most think is the best cat-back exhaust? Or at least give me a top 5. What do most people go with? I see a lot of cattman and apexi... any others worth a look?
It depends. If you're going to get headers and a y-pipe (best performance mods), then get any b-pipe and retain the the stock rear section. Otherwise, it's going to be intolerably loud.

If you're going to just go catback then the choices are plenty. Cattman is the best quality. Megan is a popular option, too.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
It depends. If you're going to get headers and a y-pipe (best performance mods), then get any b-pipe and retain the the stock rear section. Otherwise, it's going to be intolerably loud.
Well, "intolerably loud" is a subjective opinion. "Delightfully loud" is another.

That second opinion can be much more fun.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Well, "intolerably loud" is a subjective opinion. "Delightfully loud" is another.

That second opinion can be much more fun.
You may be correct, but remember, you are asking the ORG members for their knowlege and experience. Progress is speaking from this standpoint when telling you how loud it will be. It's your money, spend it as you like. But you may end up buying two exhausts if you opt to not listen to Progress's knowlegable advice on exhaust volume.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oski H
I'll check the fluid. However their is only one nissan dealer where i am and they wont take my car unless i purchased it from them (Which i did not)
That's hard to believe. What dealership has so much service business that they can afford to turn away $ just because they did not buy the car from them? How long have they been in business? What area do you live in? I really can't believe that is true.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by diverdown3
That's hard to believe. What dealership has so much service business that they can afford to turn away $ just because they did not buy the car from them? How long have they been in business? What area do you live in? I really can't believe that is true.
I am 26 and they have been in business before i was born. I live in Nassau, Bahamas
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

I see. On an Isalnd, they have a captive customer pool. I guess they probably can treat people differently.

I would still talk to them to see if there's some way you can get tehm to look at it because they should have the Consult-II diagnostic tool. That's probably the shortest path to a solution.

I would look for a shop with a solid reputation and long history. They are going to need diagnostic tools.

Is your car showing a "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread