5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MWM
May as well ask this since we're talking about my suspension. One thing I've also noticed the last couple of times I've jacked it up is that I'm getting to the same height on my jack and jack stands, but that same height is no longer enough to life my tires completely off the ground. I have to go even higher and can now barely get there with the hydraulic jack I have. Is this symptomatic of coils needing replaced?
I have this problem sometimes. I think it's just the springs settling. It also might be your jack and you'll have to push the lifting arm down all the way.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 AM
MWM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
I have this problem sometimes. I think it's just the springs settling. It also might be your jack and you'll have to push the lifting arm down all the way.
I don't think it's the jack because I'm putting the jack stands the same height they've always gone and that's no longer enough to get the tire off, just barely though.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM

anyone know if i can just remove the elbow from the manifold to change out the rear middle plug? the outer two look like they have more than enough room without removing anythikng...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:20 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MWM
Good to know. The car is an '02 and has 136k on it and most of the suspension looks to be the original. I bought the car (my third Maxima, BTW) with 122k on it from a guy I know who takes good care of his cars, but I don't think he did any suspension replacements.

I've since learned that my experience with the suspension is very common here in Minnesota with any car. If it's more than a few years old, any time you have to go into the suspension or steering, there's a good chance it's going to lead to more things going bad due to the amount of rust and corrosion caused by all the salt and snow and extreme cold temps. Everything was quiet as a mouse until one of the wheel bearings went. I was going to do that one myself but everything was so rusted together that I ran out of time before leaving on my trip, so I took it in to get the bearing swapped out. Then I heard what was clearly a ball joint the day after. Had that one done through a family mechanic who swapped both out. That's when all the squeaking and creaking started.

I've replaced the sway bar endlinks with the Moog ones which has helped a little. I've also ordered some ES sb bushings I'm going to put in next week. I'm going to pick up some moog tie rod ends to put on when I do the bushings. At that point I'll have new ball joint, endlinks, tie rod ends, and sb bushings. Hopefully that will take care of it in the short-term because I've put some money into the car recently and I'd like to space some of this stuff out. I figure struts, coils, and mounts are inevitable, but I'd like to wait a few months for that if I can. It's also got a constant squeak on the left side although it's not real loud. I figure the hub might also need replacing as I didn't do that when I had the bearing replaced. But I'd like to avoid an entire LCA if I can as that's more than I want to take on and that would be a costly one to have a mechanic do.

But I got the car for $6000 and it was in great shape, so putting a little money in it to update the suspension is not overly burdensome.

BTW irish, I've read a lot of your stuff on this site. I can't begin to tell you how unbelievable finding this site has been and how much I've learned from the ungodly amount of hours I've spent on here over the past month or two. I will definitely be making a donation in short order. I've never been a full blown DIY guy, but I'm really enjoying the work I'm doing now and thanks to the org taking care of this car is becoming a new hobby and I'm so much more equipped and less intimidated to do work myself that probably just wouldn't get done due to cost. My Max thanks this place as well.
good to hear

note that if your stuts are original, even if perfectly maintained 122k miles is way past their lifespan...time to replace (for cheap, Tokico blues, for better, Tokico Illuminas).

Originally Posted by MWM
May as well ask this since we're talking about my suspension. One thing I've also noticed the last couple of times I've jacked it up is that I'm getting to the same height on my jack and jack stands, but that same height is no longer enough to life my tires completely off the ground. I have to go even higher and can now barely get there with the hydraulic jack I have. Is this symptomatic of coils needing replaced?
If the suspension is able to droop more, it could be caused by various things, though in reality it shouldn't be able to droop any more than the maximum extension of the struts. I'm betting that since you replaced the swaybar endlinks, this is when it has happened? If so, it's probably that your old endlinks were binding and not allowing the suspension to fully droop, and now that you have the moogs on there, they are alloing FULL suspension down-travel.

That, or your jack needs to be bled or oil added....Floor jacks do need maintenance and without it they may not extend to full height.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM

hello im kinda new to this but at the same time have been supporting the site and helping as much as i can with other members question, but now i have a question of my own that i could get help on! i want to know if there are any member here in CHICAGO!!! east side, that can prob help me with an issue i have....i have been really wanting to clean the inside of my headlights and install the angel eyes but i am too much of a chicken to bake the headlights and do it myself....so i was looking for any people in the Chicago area that might be able to help me out....of course i would pay for the supplies and labor...someone please help me out...it would be very helpful to me and at the same time pretty cool to meet and work with other members....thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

neo fuel management?

hi im new and i was wondering if the apex'i neo fuel management would help much with my car or should i look into other mods first, exhaust, cam, etc. if anyone has one in their 5.5 and if so how the best way to tune it to your car was (what points you added to it and stuff). thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 AM

ok guys.
just bought a 2000 GLE with 130k miles
no Check Engine Light

the engine wont go over 4k rpms, the car will shift into the next gear after hesitating a little.

what could it be? and whats the fix?
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nspec
ok guys.
no Check Engine Light

the engine wont go over 4k rpms, the car will shift into the next gear after hesitating a little.

Thanks.
it could me your throttle position sensor, your Maf or something else
Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by wargrave
it could me your throttle position sensor, your Maf or something else
ok thanks. i'll check on those two as soon as I get some time.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

definitely a noob with a question

Just bought a 02, it came with HIDs from the factory, but now it has a set from a 2000. It is wired wrong, only the dim lights work, no bright, the indicator on the dash works but not the lights. Is there a wiring diagram so I can convert them the right way?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks to you all
Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tarheel8992
Just bought a 02, it came with HIDs from the factory, but now it has a set from a 2000. It is wired wrong, only the dim lights work, no bright, the indicator on the dash works but not the lights. Is there a wiring diagram so I can convert them the right way?
All wiring diagrams are in the FSM, see my sig.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM

pmohr, you think i could just remove the elboe to change out the rear plugs? the 2 outer plugs look like no problem and it looks like i could just take the elboe only off to gret the middle plug. also doesd any one know aout if i remove the tape on the b pillars it will be body color like the 4th gens?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
pmohr, you think i could just remove the elboe to change out the rear plugs? the 2 outer plugs look like no problem and it looks like i could just take the elboe only off to gret the middle plug. also doesd any one know aout if i remove the tape on the b pillars it will be body color like the 4th gens?
It only takes what, 10 minutes to remove the manifold? I wouldn't even bother trying to work around it, personally.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Intermittent stalling - white smoke from exhaust

Hello

My girlfriend has a 2002 maxima with about 75k miles on it.

About a month ago it started running rough after about 10 minutes driving down the highway. She pulled over and called me. It started up fine there were no issues until yesterday.

Her daughter was driving it to work (which is 2 miles away). It started to sputter so she pulled into the parking lot. I arrived hours later. It didn't start the first time, but started the second time and was idling fine - but there was thick white smoke coming from the exhaust!

I have read about leaky head gaskets - but does that fit? I have noticed that there is never fluid in the overflow tank, I will add some, but then it vanished. Radiator level is fine.

also read about tranmission fluid being sucked up a vacuum line into combustions chamber?? Any merit to that? Tranny fluid was clean.

I have read about failing PCV valves, but would that fit the symptoms? Oil was not contimated either.

I am leaning to post I read some AOL website about too much gas being dumped into the system. My girlfriend said there was a gas like smell, but not exactly gas.

I did see liquid dripping from the tail pipe after the smoke as we drove away, but I wasn't smart enough to go see if it was water, oil, or gas.

So the car is still in the parking lot. Not sure I dare start it again. Debating on towing to mechanic or stealership.

The keys are
all of a sudden start to run rough
happened twice several weeks apart
smell of something "like" gas
and noticed significant white smoke from tailpipe
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gummydmilo
Hello

My girlfriend has a 2002 maxima with about 75k miles on it.

About a month ago it started running rough after about 10 minutes driving down the highway. She pulled over and called me. It started up fine there were no issues until yesterday.

Her daughter was driving it to work (which is 2 miles away). It started to sputter so she pulled into the parking lot. I arrived hours later. It didn't start the first time, but started the second time and was idling fine - but there was thick white smoke coming from the exhaust!

I have read about leaky head gaskets - but does that fit? I have noticed that there is never fluid in the overflow tank, I will add some, but then it vanished. Radiator level is fine.

also read about tranmission fluid being sucked up a vacuum line into combustions chamber?? Any merit to that? Tranny fluid was clean.

I have read about failing PCV valves, but would that fit the symptoms? Oil was not contimated either.

I am leaning to post I read some AOL website about too much gas being dumped into the system. My girlfriend said there was a gas like smell, but not exactly gas.

I did see liquid dripping from the tail pipe after the smoke as we drove away, but I wasn't smart enough to go see if it was water, oil, or gas.

So the car is still in the parking lot. Not sure I dare start it again. Debating on towing to mechanic or stealership.

The keys are
all of a sudden start to run rough
happened twice several weeks apart
smell of something "like" gas
and noticed significant white smoke from tailpipe
In the old days of vacuum operated governors on automatic transmissions, if the diaphragm failed yes, the engine would ingest ATF. Everything's electronic now, though.

If the coolant level is going down and you don't have any visible leaks, I would first do a cooling system pressure test, followed by a compression test to try to find any head gasket leaks.

But really, next time it starts pouring white smoke you need to at least smell it to determine what it is. White is going to be coolant, overfueling would lead to black smoke and of course oil is blue, though they can all look pretty much the same.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input pmohr. It looks like ATF is off the list. Most posts lead to coolant as the cause for white smoke - and I have noticed small amounts of cooling missing (thought it might be evaporation but the other cars didn't have this problem).

Coolant seems to be the culprit. Would it have a sweet smell? Or a gas like smell? Can the gas be mixing with the coolant and not totally burning (which would explain car running rough - but could be compression too). But it does not explain the car idling fine and white smoke billowing out the back.

Basically I need to make a decision by Monday morning - tow to Nissan (which isn't too far from where the car is parked) or my mechanic (much farther than Nissan, but total cost would be cheaper).

If it is a head gasket, what would be a fair ballpark cost to repair?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02-03 bumper

Will a 02-03 bumper fit an 01 GLE? Heres a link to the page http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPE...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by smithers09
Will a 02-03 bumper fit an 01 GLE? Heres a link to the page http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPE...Q5fAccessories
They're the same.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 AM
MWM

Originally Posted by irish44j
note that if your stuts are original, even if perfectly maintained 122k miles is way past their lifespan...time to replace (for cheap, Tokico blues, for better, Tokico Illuminas).
So I've been doing some reading up on replacing my struts, mounts, etc... and my understanding is that I probably don't need to replace the springs. Is this true? If so, that would be a big relief for me as I know they are costly and I've put a decent amount of money into this car recently.

And I'm just an everyday driver looking mostly for comfort. I'm not looking to drop, so I think the blues are probably a good option for me. How much more difficult are the rears compared to the front? I have very little experience doing anything on the rear suspension. The fronts will be easy, but I'd like to get a sense for how much more difficult the back ones will be.

Last edited by MWM; 09-21-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im fairly new, I mostly just read what I needed to find(very informative forum)but now I need help. I just replaced my battery and starter on my 2000 maxima and now the car turns over but wont start, I checked all my work twice and checked all the fuses and still nothing. Ive heard that if you take the battery off for more than a day you may need to get the key recoded. I called a local dealership and they said I didnt have to do that. any help is greatly apreciated.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kquezada28
hello im kinda new to this but at the same time have been supporting the site and helping as much as i can with other members question, but now i have a question of my own that i could get help on! i want to know if there are any member here in CHICAGO!!! east side, that can prob help me with an issue i have....i have been really wanting to clean the inside of my headlights and install the angel eyes but i am too much of a chicken to bake the headlights and do it myself....so i was looking for any people in the Chicago area that might be able to help me out....of course i would pay for the supplies and labor...someone please help me out...it would be very helpful to me and at the same time pretty cool to meet and work with other members....thanks
There is a section of the forum for different areas/states and countries... check in there you might find somebody.

Originally Posted by wargrave
hi im new and i was wondering if the apex'i neo fuel management would help much with my car or should i look into other mods first, exhaust, cam, etc. if anyone has one in their 5.5 and if so how the best way to tune it to your car was (what points you added to it and stuff). thanks
If you check the All Motor section of the forum there is a sticky that talks about all the different afc devices. I haven't heard of the neo but the apexi VAFCII is supposed to be a good one that helps decent if you use it right. I would look at getting a new intake setup/ ypipe or headers/exhaust before you spend money on that though.

Originally Posted by nspec
ok guys.
no Check Engine Light

Thanks.
Take it in to check for codes. Sometimes something is wrong with no check engine light but you can still get a code to tell you whats going on.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Teddie18
They're the same.
Not at all, there and many differences, i need to know if the front bumper for the 02-03 max will fit an 01.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM

can a evap from a 00 max work on a 02 max?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 AM

what size is the bose sub on the rear deck? and can it be replaced by a better sub in that same spot?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by smithers09
Not at all, there and many differences, i need to know if the front bumper for the 02-03 max will fit an 01.
I thought the question was whether or not the REAR bumpers were the same. Apparently it wasn't so I apologize for the mistake. But the rear bumpers are the same from 00 through 03.

Your question has been answered a number of time:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t=front+bumper
http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...es-1-30mb.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...er#post6403514

The front bumpers are different but they are interchangeable with a few differences. The grille is a separate part in the 02 and 03. The headlights are slightly taller and the foglights are different in the 02 and 03 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Teddie18; 09-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
MWM

Anyone have any secrets on how to get those PITA plastic rivets on the engine splash guard back on? Had to replace the radiator and I seem to be too stupid to get them back on. Or better yet, are there more user friendly ones available anywhere?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

those plastic pieces are actually two in one.... you remove the center cap and then insert the "outer" piece into the hole ... once that is in there then shove the "center" cap through the outer cap

basically the innercap helps to spread the outercap out .. thats what makes it hold. ...

alteast thats how it is on my 02 SE
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM

hey guys, i got a 5.5 se and was wondering if the 6th gen leather seats will fit into my car. just wondering cause i want to do a black interior, and i saw some on ebay.

thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
MWM

Originally Posted by fitness stain
those plastic pieces are actually two in one.... you remove the center cap and then insert the "outer" piece into the hole ... once that is in there then shove the "center" cap through the outer cap

basically the innercap helps to spread the outercap out .. thats what makes it hold. ...

alteast thats how it is on my 02 SE

Doh! I can easily see that now that I'm looking more closely. Just picked up some new ones from Oreilly. Should be easy from here on out. Yes, I am new to most of this.

Oh, and for anyone else planning to take the radiator off, learn from my stupidity that the two hoses connected to the bottom of the rad are for transmission fluid, so put a separate drain catch when you take them off. If not, you're going to ruin the coolant you drained originally. And I just put it in last week. $25 of Toyota Red down the tube.

Last edited by MWM; 09-22-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by zackkaz
what size is the bose sub on the rear deck? and can it be replaced by a better sub in that same spot?
If it's the same as an 02 its 8". Yes you can put a better sub in the same spot... waste of money that 8" is pretty decent. Just build a box and throw a 12" in your trunk like me. 8+12=win!

Originally Posted by MWM
Anyone have any secrets on how to get those PITA plastic rivets on the engine splash guard back on? Had to replace the radiator and I seem to be too stupid to get them back on. Or better yet, are there more user friendly ones available anywhere?
You just push them really hard with two thumbs... dont be such a little girl
Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone message me on how to install a hyperground kit, i dont need step-by-step precise directions, but id like the down low.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hyperground Wiring hit (2000 Nissan Maxima)

Can someone message me on how to install a hyperground kit, i dont need step-by-step precise directions, but id like the down low.
Thanks alot, later.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by dtaylor012
Thanks alot, later.
It's in the Stickys

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/442543/16
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Very WEIRD PROBLEMS.

I bought A 02 6spd.

1st And largest problem i am having is the Car lacks alot of power. It Revs but doesn't really go anywhere. If i try to let up the clutch and gun it, It doesn't spin tires or anything. I have had a few friends (also members) drive the car dont think it is the clutch because RPM's dont shoot up. there is just not any Go power... Drives like a 4 cylinder.

When i pull the codes i get PO455, P1448, P0021, P0430...

2nd problem. Maybe it could be the transmission because it is very hard too put in Rev. when i do get it into reverse it has a Mild Shake when backing up.

I have Replaced the Cam Crank and Crank sensor ref.

Any Insight from anyone is good.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have 2k2 max. i plug in the scanner but it will just read "no link" that i need in plug it in to work.....has anyone out there have had the same problem???? please help
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM

I've got a 2001 Maxima that needs the following:

Coils/Plugs
Rotors
Pads

I got a quote on some Duralast coils from Autozone, but was curious if anyone had a better suggestion. I'm simply looking for a product that is going to last; I don't race, etc.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on brake pads and rotors? Again, I need something that is relatively inexpensive yet functional.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by [Dustin]
i have 2k2 max. i plug in the scanner but it will just read "no link" that i need in plug it in to work.....has anyone out there have had the same problem???? please help
I had that problem once. Solved it by turning the key to the "on" position after I plugged in the scanner...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok Peeps. I just picked up a 2000 Maxima Pearl White (Ground Effects, Spoiler) 19in. gold rims wrapped in 235/35/19 Tires. The car is also lowered. I have no idea by how much. Anyway, I can't take any credit for it's beauty (YET) until I add my personal touch. 1st things 1st, When I hit a bump, I feel like I'm on a playground see-saw. I really like the dropped look but I want it to ride a smoth as POSSIBLE. What are my options for suspension? without changing SPRINGS. Any advice is Greatly appreciated. I will post pics of the car soon. I need to get it repaired this weekend
Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by [Dustin]
Make sure car is on; engine doesn't need to be started.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread