5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by pmohr
Correct, it's bolted to the lower radiator support.
Okay, well I'm foreseeing a few possible problems. Since that center member has been on the car for 10 years in WNY and southern ontario climate I'm hoping the bolts won't break or worse the nuts on the subframe won't break free. This is not to mention the condition of the radiator support bracket where it is rusted. Any precautionary purchases before I start the install?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by netstorm64
This part is making a weird noise when before i turn on my ignition and after i turn it off. Any idea what part this is?

Hello there, That is a fuel pressure controller or regulator...Maybe is having a malfunctioning due to fuel impurities. I recommend you change it as soon as possible because it can cause serious damage to your engine if it stops working!! I hope I helped you!!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 AM

P0400

So...I've got the SES code P0400. Did a little search on the site and strangely i did not find anything useful. The code says my egr is bad. I replaced it once, and the code came back. I sent the egr back and got another one because i was told the one i put in was defective. Put the new egr in several days ago and the code came back on agian. The code takes about 10-15 miles to return after i reset the ecu. Car runs fine, gas mileage is normal. MAF has less than 20k on it. Help plz
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kjunior
Hi people.

Yesterday, I was driving my car and then the engine just turn off and many light on the dash turn on. So I restart the car and after 2 or 3 min, it makes the same thing. I retry, same thing. So i wait like 10 min, it work. And sometime, the car don't want to take gas. I press on but the RPM go down. after the rpm go up as it suppose to.
This morning, my battery was down and i know that i close all my light! I dont know if it's reliate with my problem. I search and i find nothing really. I dont know if its VIAS solenoid or battery or alternator!

Thank you for help. Hope you find something for me !

ps. escuse me for my english
Ok today i change my battery and the same thing happen. After 2 minute, the car just shut down. I can't be the alternator because the battery is new. Did someone have a idea of what can it be? Tomorrow, i'll take the car to the mechanics but i don't trust them so i need to know a little bit what is the problem. Can it be the MAF? because i put a oil air filter 6 month ago and i read that is no good?

Thank you !

Last edited by kjunior; 10-30-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Progress
Okay, well I'm foreseeing a few possible problems. Since that center member has been on the car for 10 years in WNY and southern ontario climate I'm hoping the bolts won't break or worse the nuts on the subframe won't break free. This is not to mention the condition of the radiator support bracket where it is rusted. Any precautionary purchases before I start the install?
Really, you should get the bolts, bushings, and a new lower rad support.

Originally Posted by rokymax
Hello there, That is a fuel pressure controller or regulator...Maybe is having a malfunctioning due to fuel impurities. I recommend you change it as soon as possible because it can cause serious damage to your engine if it stops working!! I hope I helped you!!
That has nothing to do with fuel pressure. The FSM just refers to it as a 'throttle opener', it appears to hold the throttle slightly open from the closed position when it's not receiving vacuum; may be intended to ease starting.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

DASH BOARD, CLIMATE CONTROL and NON-BOSE STEREO .... NO LIGHTS, HELP!!

Hey Everyone!

So I just recently bought a 00 maxima!! It started sputtering, so i'm going to change the manifold soon...but just today when i was leaving work, the Dash Board, Climate Control and Stereo System decided to not light up!! They are working fine, i can listen to music and keep warm/cool with the CC...but NO LIGHTS!!

All other lights are working, Cruise Control is also working, headlights/day-running lights are working, even the window lights are working...

Is Fuse #30 the issue here...or am i experiencing another problem?

Any help would be great...its really hard driving at night and NOT knowing how fast i am!!

Thanks Guys
Trick or Treat
Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by rm_viper
Hey Everyone!

So I just recently bought a 00 maxima!! It started sputtering, so i'm going to change the manifold soon...but just today when i was leaving work, the Dash Board, Climate Control and Stereo System decided to not light up!! They are working fine, i can listen to music and keep warm/cool with the CC...but NO LIGHTS!!

All other lights are working, Cruise Control is also working, headlights/day-running lights are working, even the window lights are working...

Is Fuse #30 the issue here...or am i experiencing another problem?

Any help would be great...its really hard driving at night and NOT knowing how fast i am!!

Thanks Guys
Trick or Treat
Well in my 00 max the **** that controls the brightness of all the dash lights is right to the left of the steering wheel. Its kinda hard to notice that its even there. If the **** is turned all the way down, no lights will show at night. I hope helps, but it might be more serious.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by joemax2000
So...I've got the SES code P0400. Did a little search on the site and strangely i did not find anything useful. The code says my egr is bad. I replaced it once, and the code came back. I sent the egr back and got another one because i was told the one i put in was defective. Put the new egr in several days ago and the code came back on agian. The code takes about 10-15 miles to return after i reset the ecu. Car runs fine, gas mileage is normal. MAF has less than 20k on it. Help plz

So now i've put about 270 miles on it while the SES light was on. Then it turned off for about 10 miles, and turned right back on. Someone told me that it might be the egr vacumn solenoid or something like that. Ive questioned an oxygen sensor only because i've yet to replace them with 160k on my car, and i know that they throw a lot of false codes. Plz help
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 PM

hey guys!!!

i have been gathering questions that i wanted to find out.. well here we go..

1) I replaced my alternator belt last weekend and it was all fantastic until today that after 3 days of straight rain and "cold" weather it squeaked when i went for a little ride. so what can it be? should i tense it a little more?

2) my steering wheel has been acting stupid lately.. it turns fine most of the time but sometimes it kinda gets stuck.. like if the pump is losing power or something.. i sucked the power steering out then put new one in and again and again until i got bored.. but it still happens.. so what can this be? do i need to bleed it?

3) I need a hood for my 01 and i saw a couple 03 and 02 are they exactly the same?

4) I have the dark green color max. im gonna paint the hood myself.. can anyone tell me what the color name is? or color code?

well guys.. thank you so much! and sorry for asking so much..
Old 10-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Faint Service Engine Light

Hi there. I have a 2002 SE with 97,000 miles on it. In the last week or so the Service Engine Light has been coming on sporadically but very faintly. It does seem to come on more at night but again it is very faint. Any ideas on what is going on? I did double-check the gas cap just in case but it's strange since it's not very bright. I checked the light is bright when I turn on the car so I assume it's not a bulb issue. Suggestions? Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by stitch97124
Hi there. I have a 2002 SE with 97,000 miles on it. In the last week or so the Service Engine Light has been coming on sporadically but very faintly. It does seem to come on more at night but again it is very faint. Any ideas on what is going on? I did double-check the gas cap just in case but it's strange since it's not very bright. I checked the light is bright when I turn on the car so I assume it's not a bulb issue. Suggestions? Thank you!
i experienced similar problems with my 00 max when my alternator started dieing
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Faint Service Engine Light

Originally Posted by joemax2000
i experienced similar problems with my 00 max when my alternator started dieing

Would there be other signs of a dying alternator? The car starts quickly and easily and seems to have no other issues that I am aware of. I always see $$ with the possibility of repairs for this car but it's been a smooth 97,000k with virtually no problems, knock on wood.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by stitch97124
Would there be other signs of a dying alternator? The car starts quickly and easily and seems to have no other issues that I am aware of. I always see $$ with the possibility of repairs for this car but it's been a smooth 97,000k with virtually no problems, knock on wood.
Well when my alternator started dieing, i had the battery light flash on and off randomly. I drove it like this for about 6 months before i put a new one in there. Had a brand new battery in there, which is prob the main reason why it lasted so long.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by pepox369
hey guys!!!

i have been gathering questions that i wanted to find out.. well here we go..

1) I replaced my alternator belt last weekend and it was all fantastic until today that after 3 days of straight rain and "cold" weather it squeaked when i went for a little ride. so what can it be? should i tense it a little more?

2) my steering wheel has been acting stupid lately.. it turns fine most of the time but sometimes it kinda gets stuck.. like if the pump is losing power or something.. i sucked the power steering out then put new one in and again and again until i got bored.. but it still happens.. so what can this be? do i need to bleed it?

3) I need a hood for my 01 and i saw a couple 03 and 02 are they exactly the same?

4) I have the dark green color max. im gonna paint the hood myself.. can anyone tell me what the color name is? or color code?

well guys.. thank you so much! and sorry for asking so much..
Your color code is indicated on the plate in the engine bay. Check out the FSM for exact location.

If yours is green-gray, it could be "KV3" Grey Lustre which is what I have.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Hi, I have a 01 max and I'm thinking to replace my rotors and pads. I saw that 5.5 gen brembo rotors are cheaper for some reason, so I am thinking to pick those up. I know they are 3/4 in bigger than mine right now but are the calipers on 5.5 the same as 5 gen? I just want to confirm this with someone before I take the plunge. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone, I recently picked up '00 GLE as a daily - my first car was a Maxima (like an '85), and my 'other' car isn't exactly ideal for driving to and from work ~40 miles a day. Anyways, I found one closeby with 41k miles on it, driven by a teacher to and from work for 10 years, and the transmission just went out on me the next day.

I've done some searching so this weekend when I have time I'll drop the pan and check the revolution sensor, just thought maybe someone here would have some insight, here's the symptoms.

Was going uphill, and the tranny starts slipping like crazy, drives normally for a minute then next incline just slips into neutral and doesn't want to engage in any gear. Pushed it off and tried to find gears - D will work (havne't tested extensively) but it's very, very sudden... I'll depress the pedal and nothing, nothing, then it LURCHES forward - do you guys think this is electronic/solenoid related? When D doesn't do that, it just won't engage at all, 1, 2, D, R, all act like neutral.

I wouldn't think that a 41k car, even at 10 years old, would have the transmission just crap out like that - I haven't owned an automatic car, ever so this is the first. Any advance/tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edit: It's sitting at my parents house which is about 10 min. from where I stay, so I won't have time to mess with it til I go visit them.

Last edited by Saenek; 11-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Your color code is indicated on the plate in the engine bay. Check out the FSM for exact location.

If yours is green-gray, it could be "KV3" Grey Lustre which is what I have.
my green is not grey green is like really deep dark green.. but i will check out the code on my car.. thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake pedal temporarily "stuck"

OK, quick question:

2002 Maxima SE 6 speed, manual. 113000KM. All fluids recently changed.

Anyway, after work I get in my car, drive 100 meters and notice I can't press in the brake pedal with my foot. It's like stuck. I can't press it in.

Luckily I was driving slow, pulled off to side, turned off car, turned back on, still didn't work...then after a few seconds, the brake pedal worked! I could press it in and brakes worked.

Anyone know what can cause this? Emergency brake was NOT engaged.

thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Grill

I just got my first car and its a 2001 maxima. Everything is stock. I love my maxima but wished I got a 2002-2003. I love the grill of these cars, and the emblem is extra large. Does a 2002 or 2003 grill fit on a 2001? I've looked at a bunch of pics and the size looks very alike, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by OC91
I just got my first car and its a 2001 maxima. Everything is stock. I love my maxima but wished I got a 2002-2003. I love the grill of these cars, and the emblem is extra large. Does a 2002 or 2003 grill fit on a 2001? I've looked at a bunch of pics and the size looks very alike, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Nope 02/03's are bigger.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tkedch
Hi, I have a 01 max and I'm thinking to replace my rotors and pads. I saw that 5.5 gen brembo rotors are cheaper for some reason, so I am thinking to pick those up. I know they are 3/4 in bigger than mine right now but are the calipers on 5.5 the same as 5 gen? I just want to confirm this with someone before I take the plunge. Thank you!
Stick with your proper size. If you want to go bigger, look at the big brake upgrade (front only) which involves taking calipers off of a 6th gen maxima and using 6th gen pads and rotors. It all bolts up.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenHD
OK, quick question:

2002 Maxima SE 6 speed, manual. 113000KM. All fluids recently changed.

Anyway, after work I get in my car, drive 100 meters and notice I can't press in the brake pedal with my foot. It's like stuck. I can't press it in.

Luckily I was driving slow, pulled off to side, turned off car, turned back on, still didn't work...then after a few seconds, the brake pedal worked! I could press it in and brakes worked.

thanks
This sounds pretty serious and I have no idea what would cause it. I would have a set of professional eyes look over it if you do not get an answer from here.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Mechanic friend said this:

"Sometimes the vacuum valve can stick and make the assist kinda go away. That's what it sound a like happened...certainly not uncommon at all."

I hope that is all it is. So far today the brake pedal (and brakes) are working fine...very weird!!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM

^^
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best Place to get mass air meter?

Does anybody know the best place to get just the metter? My Maxima 2002 wont go past 2500 rpmit feels like its in a limp mode. help please
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by miakita
Does anybody know the best place to get just the metter? My Maxima 2002 wont go past 2500 rpmit feels like its in a limp mode. help please
call 888 254 6060 and ask for David Burnette to order the MAF. I believe you can just order the maf from an 01 and add your temp sensor in. It will save you significant money. Search some threads regarding this, there is a lot of info on this issue.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH; PNP SWITCH; BACK-UP SWITCH REPLACEMENT

Hello, Looking for help replacing the PNP (park/neutral position) AKA back-up light switch. The switch itself is easy to access. How do you get to the connector on top? I can't get to it from the top or bottom of the car, it seems to disappear over top of the transmission.

Also, does anyone have a replacement P/N?

Lastly, do you refill the tranny at the large square hole plug? Is it a 1/2" opening? Where is the drain port?

you guys rule,
Joe
Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok i just did all the relearn procedure on the max because the idle was too high i had the infamous p0507 code and it needed an inspection and when i brought it in he asked me if the SES light was on i told him no so when he put it on the machine the p0507 came up again without a SES light, the inspection failed and he told me the car has to be driven for around 60-80 miles. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate how can i tell if its ready to go in for inspection? thanks...by the way thanks for the forum, glad i found it

Last edited by blueMax711; 11-05-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by blueMax711
ok i just did all the relearn procedure on the max because the idle was too high i had the infamous p0507 code and it needed an inspection and when i brought it in he asked me if the SES light was on i told him no so when he put it on the machine the p0507 came up again without a SES light, the inspection failed and he told me the car has to be driven for around 60-80 miles. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate how can i tell if its ready to go in for inspection? thanks...by the way thanks for the forum, glad i found it
A code scanner can determine if there is a stored code. Do as he says and drive it around for awhile, then bring it by a Autozone and see if there is any codes.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by redred
Hello, Looking for help replacing the PNP (park/neutral position) AKA back-up light switch. The switch itself is easy to access. How do you get to the connector on top? I can't get to it from the top or bottom of the car, it seems to disappear over top of the transmission.

Also, does anyone have a replacement P/N?

Lastly, do you refill the tranny at the large square hole plug? Is it a 1/2" opening? Where is the drain port?

you guys rule,
Joe
Can you remove the shifter assembly from within to access it? I'de have to look at manual to find out. You drain the tranny from the plug on the transmission pan, close to where the oil pan is. You fill it through the dipstick.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335521/3 (Courtesy of Lontar1)
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenHD

thanks
I think that points to your brake booster being a problem.

With the engine off, pump the brakes & make sure it feels "stuck". Then press the brakes & start the engine; does your foot fall a little bit at all?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stillen Lip kit

I have a 2001 maxima and looking forward to installing a Stillen lip kit. Does anyone have any advice or warnings? because I'm also saving up for 18" HP EVO black with chrome lip rims. please any recommendation will be great and appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by OC91
I have a 2001 maxima and looking forward to installing a Stillen lip kit. Does anyone have any advice or warnings? because I'm also saving up for 18" HP EVO black with chrome lip rims. please any recommendation will be great and appreciated, thanks.
Recommendations on what? You clearly stated you are getting a Stillen Lip and rims?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM

ok so i just bought a 00 SE 5 spd and so far i think i like it lol....anyway two things that im not sure about...1) when i am driving like on the highway or anywhere else for that matter, if i am cruising and i let off of the gas and get back on i can feel the shifter jolt back and forth. not like crazy, just a lil. my question is, do i need to replacethe tranny mount or is that normal in the Maxs? 2) i can hear a damn rattle behind the stereo and its annoying the **** outta me....any ideas....thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Recommendations on what? You clearly stated you are getting a Stillen Lip and rims?
Do you have a lip and rims on your max? I've heard the lip scratches easily. Also, should I drop it?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Hi, I didn't think I had to start a whole thread for a simple question like this so If you can help i'd appreciate it.

I just ordered a catback exhaust and plan to put it on myself, but would like some insight on how to get the back of the car high enough off the ground to get the rear section in. Will a 2.5 ton jack, and your average jackstands be enough to get the muffler over the axle? If anybody can let me know how you accomplished this, it would help alot. Thanks in advance.
-Steve
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
I think that points to your brake booster being a problem.

With the engine off, pump the brakes & make sure it feels "stuck". Then press the brakes & start the engine; does your foot fall a little bit at all?
Yes, that happens. So far this has happened 6 times. But normally only after the car has been parked for a few hours or overnight.

1. Start car
2. Check Pedal, brake is ok, depresses in a bit
3. Pedal starts to firm up, then i can't move it
4. Try to keep pressing the brake, normally still stuck
5. After about 30 seconds to 1 minute then the pedal works.

I thought moving the steering wheel or shifting the gears (while parked with idling engine) made a difference but I think not.

What is the brake booster?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, an update for my situation, went over there yesterday, cleaned the revolution sensor, didn't see any corrosion or anything, fluid looks new, level is fine, the car won't engage in reverse but I do have D, just testing in the driveway. TCM? Solenoids?

Didn't get a response last time so I'm not expecting much here lol
Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

auto to manual tranny swap

i have a 2000 auto maxima, my tranny just died last week, im in the process of converting it to manual, will a tranny from a 4th gen vq30 car bolt right up on my engine, or do i absolutely need a 00-01 manual tranny in order to get the swap to work?? what are my options?

thanks in advance and sorry for my poor level of english (french-canadian)

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread