5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
L36

Originally Posted by pmohr
DOT 3 or above will be fine (except for DOT 5, of course).
Does it matter if its the regular stuff or synthetic?
Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by L36
Does it matter if its the regular stuff or synthetic?
Thanks.
Doesn't matter, no. I would go with regular brake fluid just because it's cheaper.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

pricing of 3 motor mounts and their installation in Nissan Maxima 2000 (automatic)

Hi Nissan Maxima 2000 experts,

I'm currently looking to replace the 3 motor mounts that have broken on my Nissan Maxima 2000 automatic, including the lower cradle mount (in between the right and left mount), the right passenger side mount, and the left radiator side mount. The older this car gets, the more expensive it's becoming to get it fixed. Rather than take it to a dealership, I would like to buy these parts relatively inexpensively from a reliable place, and then take it to a repair shop for the labor of installing them. While I've discovered an inexpensive wholesaler to purchase the mounts from, I have yet to locate a reliable and inexpensive place to get the installation done. Would any Nissan Maxima 2000 experts here please give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay on the lower and upper ends to do the installation? I've heard that some places are likely to charge a single price for installing all 3 motor mounts. Help with this will go a long way for me and my pocketbook.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

On my AE 2001 maxima, there's a weird noise when I turn to the left and when I look to the the front right caliper, it seems to be loose a bit. The noise in question sounds like a piece of metal knocking on another one. I found an exhaust protector that was broken and holding by the 02 sensor's wiring so I thought this was the problem but after removing it the noise was still there. Can this be related to my weird noise? Or else what can make that noise?

Thanks

Last edited by ktm-boutin; 08-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ktm-boutin
On my AE 2001 maxima, there's a weird noise when I turn to the left and when I look to the the front right caliper, it seems to be loose a bit. Can this be related to my weird noise? Or else what can make that noise?

Thanks
What kind of noise? The more details the better.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know where I can buy a new variable intake air system (VIAS) control valve for a 2002 maxima besides the dealer? I cannot seem to find any alternatives anywhere and would like to save over dealer prices.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by shaun1013
Does anyone know where I can buy a new variable intake air system (VIAS) control valve for a 2002 maxima besides the dealer? I cannot seem to find any alternatives anywhere and would like to save over dealer prices.
Are you referring to the vacuum solenoid valve between the canister and the VIAS plate? Most any Nissan solenoid valve can be used as a replacement, with some modification to the harness connector.

Have you checked the classifieds, eBay, junkyards?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
What kind of noise? The more details the better.
The noise sounds like a broken piece of metal knocking on something else, but I can't find what it is...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ktm-boutin
The noise sounds like a broken piece of metal knocking on something else, but I can't find what it is...
Have you recently had the wheels off? Checked the rotor backing plates?

How exactly does the caliper 'look' to be loose? Have you checked the caliper and torque member bolts to see if they're tight?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Liam
Hi Nissan Maxima 2000 experts,

I'm currently looking to replace the 3 motor mounts that have broken on my Nissan Maxima 2000 automatic, including the lower cradle mount (in between the right and left mount), the right passenger side mount, and the left radiator side mount. The older this car gets, the more expensive it's becoming to get it fixed. Rather than take it to a dealership, I would like to buy these parts relatively inexpensively from a reliable place, and then take it to a repair shop for the labor of installing them. While I've discovered an inexpensive wholesaler to purchase the mounts from, I have yet to locate a reliable and inexpensive place to get the installation done. Would any Nissan Maxima 2000 experts here please give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay on the lower and upper ends to do the installation? I've heard that some places are likely to charge a single price for installing all 3 motor mounts. Help with this will go a long way for me and my pocketbook.

Thank you in advance for your help.
You can buy the mounts from eBay, Amazon, or www.rockauto.com.

Where are you located?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM

It's nothing to worry about, the boots aren't really important.

If it feels normal, but nothing happens, it's likely to be the door lock actuator. If there's no resistance at all the rod could've come undone from either end, or the actuator may be broken internally. If they feel normal but don't have the normal range of travel, the rod could be binding up or again, internal actuator problems.
the handle feels normal but the lock is sloppy, anyway to remove the panel easily? if not, i have the leather panel that comes off, if i cut a hole behind it, could i get to the lock rod??

Other question, i noticed that if i have the A/C on(just got it recharged and checked out, got the leak fixed) the air come out ambiant and the coolant
gets hot if I get stuck in traffic or city drive, if I get my speed back up to around 25km/h or i turn the a/c off the engine temp goes back down, could
the cooling fans be going out???

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by trueppp; 08-08-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: semantic mistake
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by trueppp
the handle feels normal but the lock is sloppy, anyway to remove the panel easily? if not, i have the leather panel that comes off, if i cut a hole behind it, could i get to the lock rod??

Other question, i noticed that if i have the A/C on(just got it recharged and checked out, got the leak fixed) the air come out ambiant and the coolant
gets hot if I get stuck in traffic or city drive, if I get my speed back up to around 25km/h or i turn the a/c off the engine temp goes back down, could

Thank you in advance.
Yes, very easy to remove the door panel. NO cutting necessary.

Doubt it's the fan. Sounds more like a clogged radiator not allowing coolant to flow properly, or perhaps a bad thermostat.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Yes, very easy to remove the door panel. NO cutting necessary.

Doubt it's the fan. Sounds more like a clogged radiator not allowing coolant to flow properly, or perhaps a bad thermostat.
It looks easy, if the door is open, problem is i can't open it! and if my radiator
was clogged, why would the a/c cause a overheat, or why would it not work
if im driving slow?

With the a/c off= no problems
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Suspension Yoda

It looks easy, if the door is open, problem is i can't open it! and if my radiator
was clogged, why would the a/c cause a overheat, or why would it not work
if im driving slow?

With the a/c off= no problems
Sorry, I didn't catch the part about being unable to open the door. if you remove the trim around the interior handle and the leather insert, that should be plenty of room to see the linkage and open the door.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM

OK......I'm not new here...but this is frustrating.....HOW the hell you get an avatar to show up?? I go to where is says EDIT AVATAR and it has this box checked that says "DO NOT USE AN AVATAR" and will not let me uncheck it at all. And in the place where the avatar is supposed to be it says "NO AVATAR SELECTED" Why won't it let me add an avatar????
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Sorry, I didn't catch the part about being unable to open the door. if you remove the trim around the interior handle and the leather insert, that should be plenty of room to see the linkage and open the door.
Ok did it: both rods now move freely, can lock and unlock door and pull handle(interior and exterior), still wont budge is there a way to check in the exterior
handle is working? tension looks about the same as the other one...minus the
door opening part. how does the outside handle work?

Last edited by trueppp; 08-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Thank you in advance.
Your cooling problem has several possibilities. Both radiator should be running, if only one fan is running, you have a problem. Fans either run or they don't. The engine could also be low on coolant for various reasons. When the engine is cool, take the radiator cap off. The radiator should be completely filled, in fact, coolant will overflow a bit when you take the cap off. Last suggestion - check between the radiator and the a/c condensor coil that sits in front of the radiator and make sure there is no buildup of junk (leaves and stuff) in there. Even if its clean, do some general maintenance spray water through the radiator to clean out the cooling fins. DO NOT use a power washer as this will bend the cooling fins.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Suspension Yoda

IIRC the exterior handle also has a vertical linkage that actually controls the door latch. If you're inside the door panel you should see two small nuts that mount the handle to the door - or you can see the linkage itself.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Ok i've cracked open the top of the trim...i see the two bolts, not sure if i see the
vertical linkage i think i'm going to open the other side to get a clearer picture.

As for the fans, they are both running but im not sure if they are running up to snuff:
1 is vibrating the hell out of the mount and if they are off the don't turn freely. Is it
possible for them to run too slow or not at all?
(only heats up if a/c is on, no a/c= no problem)

Last edited by trueppp; 08-08-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

If it's vibrating then definitely replace it. You can get the fan itself, or you can get both fans in the mount (whole assembly) - I've seen em on eBay and recall others having good luck with them.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks, so ill change the cooling fans this week-end and try cleaning it see if it improves.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you referring to the vacuum solenoid valve between the canister and the VIAS plate? Most any Nissan solenoid valve can be used as a replacement, with some modification to the harness connector.

Have you checked the classifieds, eBay, junkyards?
Yes thats the one. I have not been able to find one anywhere. Most of the ones from the classifieds have already been sold. I figured I would just buy a new one to replace it but I have not done this replacement before. It seems very easy to replace but I want to make sure I buy the right part. The dealer will charge roughly $200 but I think I can do better.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am heading to the junkyard today in search of a 5th gen spoiler and I was wondering what it would take to remove it from the junk car. Such as what tools would I need and specific things to know about removing it. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone think they could post like a vacuum line drawing for the 2000 maxima, i think i mixed some hoses up and my 5 speed gxe is running like junk
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

new owner big problem

Okay. I got the car yesterday. It ran fine
2003 maxima se 3.5 6 speed 140k

Today I get up and get on the freeway make it 3 miles or so and ..

-loss of power.. rpms would raise of in neutral but would not if in gear
- I make it to a stop rpms raised for short time but
- gauges went crazy hall would raise .and .lower randomly and the airbag light flashed
- now as I sit here all lights come on but the car won't turn over as off the battery is dead

Any ideas?

Edit!
It started and drove 2 miles before same problem
Also brake light and battery lights come on

Last edited by Im faster; 08-10-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Brake & battery = alternator
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM

First post haha

I bought a 2002 maxima se maybe 2 months ago and in the past month, maybe a few times a week, when i exit my car and walk past the gas cap my car reeks of gas. I brought it back to the place i bought it from when they were fixing my transmission (thank god for the lemon law lol) and he said he couldnt find any leaks or anything wrong with it that would cause the gas smell. I'm assuming that he was telling the truth since he works on my entire family's cars and does business with my dad, but I'm just trying to figure out what it is so I'm not driving something unsafe or something that will cost me a ton of money in a few months.

it has 129,4xx miles on it, ~77,000 on the transmission and doesn't smell all the time.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Suspension Yoda

Try a new gas cap? Maybe the seal has gone. That'd be my first troubleshooting step.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats whit i figured.. however.. it starting again 15 min later with out charging the battery doesnt make sense
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by Im faster
Thats whit i figured.. however.. it starting again 15 min later with out charging the battery doesnt make sense
The battery has some inherent regen properties. Its definitely your alternator.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Try a new gas cap? Maybe the seal has gone. That'd be my first troubleshooting step.
Wouldn't the SES light go on because of that? Since not clicking the cap 3x does it it seems like that would do it as well, I might try a new cap just incase, it doesnt sound like something expensive. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Alias6
Wouldn't the SES light go on because of that? Since not clicking the cap 3x does it it seems like that would do it as well, I might try a new cap just incase, it doesnt sound like something expensive. Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, it should, but you never know...especially since you smell it exactly when you pass the gas cap.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM

anyone ever take the emblems off of the rear cleanly? I heard about using fishing line
Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, plenty of people. Use a hair dryer on a hot day to warm it up, then use a fishing line or dental floss to get it off. Goo gone will take off the rest of the adhesive residue - then make sure to clean it off with soapy water.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM

red taillight covers

Hey everyone,

I was curious where I could buy red taillight covers for the turn signal portion of my gen 5.5 taillights? I know I've seen a couple members with them on and even saw some for sale at one point but I can't remember where.

Any ideas? Pics would be great too as I'm not completely sure how the red overlay would even look over the orange light...
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Suspension Yoda

A seller by the name of BlueBatmobile sells them that are already cut.

OR you could go to your local tint/decal shop, get 1 sq ft of red translucent tint and do it yourself.

Don't worry about the red mixing with the orange, it looks fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM

A seller by the name of BlueBatmobile sells them that are already cut.

OR you could go to your local tint/decal shop, get 1 sq ft of red translucent tint and do it yourself.

Don't worry about the red mixing with the orange, it looks fine.
Thanks, any idea how I can go about contacting him? I'm having trouble finding a gen 5 thread for the covers or any posts in the classifieds.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by dainiac
Thanks, any idea how I can go about contacting him? I'm having trouble finding a gen 5 thread for the covers or any posts in the classifieds.
Try this email: bluebatmobile@san.rr.com
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

This is probably going to sound like the dumbest question ever. I looked on the .org and couldn't find the answer. I was told my 2001 SE's VQ30DE(per sticker on the hood) was actually a VQ30DE-K because it has a plastic intake I was told was the 00VI and it's a very good intake. I did the VIAS(JB Weld) fix recently and hadn't noticed until yesterday the intake actually says MLV630 on it. I'm confused, what's the difference?

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by BobPezz
This is probably going to sound like the dumbest question ever. I looked on the .org and couldn't find the answer. I was told my 2001 SE's VQ30DE(per sticker on the hood) was actually a VQ30DE-K because it has a plastic intake I was told was the 00VI and it's a very good intake. I did the VIAS(JB Weld) fix recently and hadn't noticed the intake is actually a MEVI until yesterday. What's the difference?
It's a DE-K, not a DE. This is not just because of the intake, but because it was the factory engine in the 5th gen. There are several differences, the most obvious of which of course being the intake manifold.

What do you think it's a MEVI? It's not. It's an 00VI (MY00 Variable Intake). The MEVI was the intake manifold equipped on A32s for markets other than the US and Canada.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread