5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

Yea, I would definitely try to put those in. No beating necessary - Just adjust height as you tighten those screws.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM

I tried to get the screws in but it still wouldnt fit, I think its probably fine tho, its in pretty securely. What should I do about those lights? just hope they work next time I try them?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

You could hope, or give the AC control a smack. They're finnicky especially once they've been removed/reinstalled.

If you're removing the unit, then open up the faceplate and have a look at the bulbs to see if they're fried.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can any one recommend me a double din stereo unit for my maxima 2002 model. I would really appreciate.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ call Crutchfield and tell them your requirements and budget. They'll help you pick.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM

I have a quick question that I have not found a clear answer too.... I have a 00' SE and would like to know if 01' AE or 02' headlights would fit with no problem... Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked in a previous thread!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Suspension Yoda

01 AE - Yes, no problem at all. Plug and play.

02-03 HID headlights - they will also physically fit fine, but you'd have to do some wiring to get them to work properly with the 00-01 harness.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

I just bought a 2000 3.0 SE 5-speed, it has 215k on the chassis and the motor has a rod knock. I can start it but it dies shortly after i get it started and it wont idle. I am gonna get a junk yard motor with 80k on it. I plan to put a clutch in it. while im putting the newish motor in is there anything that I should do that will make my life alot easier opposed to doing it later once the engine is in? btw im having a shop take the engine out and put the new one in. once the car is running ill take over doing all the maintaince.

what are the main culprits to check for erratic idle?

Im guessing by the amount of O2 sensors on this exhaust that these exhaust setups suck. whats the best plan of action to deal with that? get an aftermarket exhaust or bite the bullet and replace the O2 sensors?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-25-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by amack
Im guessing by the amount of O2 sensors on this exhaust that these exhaust setups suck. whats the best plan of action to deal with that? get an aftermarket exhaust or bite the bullet and replace the O2 sensors?
Suck is definitely too strong a word. I'd say "over-engineered."

Without the o2 sensors or a o2 simulator in place the ecu will throw CELs at you, and run the motor conservatively. The sensors are there for a reason, which is to get the most performance out of the fuel and the engine while still meeting emissions and mileage goals. Besides, there are only three.

Most aftermarket exhausts are cat-backs anyways, so they touch nothing from the rear cat on forward.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

How do I post a new thread ?

Where can i buy a shifter solenoid

And how much do they cost ?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisapalooza
You are restricted from starting a new thread until you have 15 posts. you can post in any existing thread, such as this one, and that is how you can get to the magic 15 post mark and then start your own thread. When you post in an existing thread, please keep to the subject of that thread.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, I'm a proud owner of a 02 Maxima GLE but I just joined the forum here. Wondering if there's any way to know for sure if a CV joint needs replacing? My car makes a scraping noise in the front end every time I make a right turn.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Where can i buy a shifter solenoid
And how much do they cost ?
In the Nissan world it is called "Shift Lock Solenoid & Park switch. It is Nissan part number 34950 2Y901, replaced by 34950-3Y61C, suggested list price $96.77. You can get it from your local dealer or if you want a cheaper price, a junkyard.

You could call a Maxima.org member and order it through at a discounted price.
Dave Burnette
AKA Dave B

South Point Nissan
4914 South IH-35
Austin TX 78745

1-888-254-6060
Mention Maxima.org

or you could order it on-line from various places, such as
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/ $77.86
http://courtesyparts.com/ $81.28

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Seriously...are you THAT lazy? You just keep posting crap*y questions which can all be answered with a little searching and reading on your part.

Dear God....
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
01 AE - Yes, no problem at all. Plug and play.

02-03 HID headlights - they will also physically fit fine, but you'd have to do some wiring to get them to work properly with the 00-01 harness.
Thank you sir, much appreciated!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by joemauerfan
Hello, I'm a proud owner of a 02 Maxima GLE but I just joined the forum here. Wondering if there's any way to know for sure if a CV joint needs replacing? My car makes a scraping noise in the front end every time I make a right turn.
If it's a metal-on-metal scraping noise then it's usually a front brake heat shield or brake hardware like a squeal bar.

Failing CVs make clicking noises in turns, it's pretty distinctive. You'll also almost always find a crack in a CV joint boot.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 and I got a fault code P0172. I saw that that code be an improper fuel pressure. about 4 months ago my fuel pump/injector had to be worked and the mechanic told me my pressure was way off and fixed it.

My question is what is the pressure range so I know when I go back to him.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by charlfor
I have a 2000 and I got a fault code P0172. I saw that that code be an improper fuel pressure. about 4 months ago my fuel pump/injector had to be worked and the mechanic told me my pressure was way off and fixed it.

My question is what is the pressure range so I know when I go back to him.

Thanks,
Charlotte
DTC P0172 (RIGHT BANK) FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM TOO RICH.
This happens when when the fuel injection system does not operate properly, the amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large. (The mixture ratio is too rich.)

Possible Causes:
Front heated oxygen sensor
Injectors
Exhaust gas leaks
Incorrect fuel pressure
Mass air flow sensor

This is a situation where half the engine is running too rich. In this case it is the back side towards the firewall. It most likely is not a fuel pump problem, but there is a remote chance.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coolant Disappears

Recently my maxima 2000 was overheating, I fixed the problem by changing a radiator. 2 weeks later I noticed that temperature gauge started to go up. I checked the coolant and it was low. I have added some more, but couple days later it was low again. I don't see any coolant spills on engine or ground. Several weeks ago I have checked engine for possible blown head gasket or cracked head, so I don't really think that I have that, because since then I never let the car to really overheat. When the car is running I can hear some clicking noise or something in the area of my belts and timing chain. Also I don't know if it's significant but, after running a car for like 5 min and stopping on lights, the car would shake on Overdrive. Have anyone had this problem before?

P.S. During my overheating problem 2 weeks before, my coolant wasn't leaking.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing chain question

I have a 2002 Maxima SE with a 6sp manual tranny and the 3.5 engine. I have noticed a little increase in chain noise when traveling at a constant speed and going slightly uphill, but goes away when I accelerate a little. I just had the check engine light come on for timing issues, so I am guessing I am having an issue with the chain. I have about 93K on this engine, and it is really running well otherwise.

Now, I am not thinking the chain needs to be replaced, but I have heard the tensioners can go bad causing the chain noise. How difficult is it to simply realign or replace the tensioners? A timing chain repair was quoted to me around $1300, so I am hoping it is a tensioner and that it is an easier repair.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 PM

If Im replacing an engine what are the main components that need replacing. things that are prone to fail on these.....2000 max SE manual
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all. I have a 2000 gle with 78,xxx miles and my problem is that whenever it rains my a/c stops blowing. The controls don't turn off and they still function (can turn temp up and down as well as other settings) but the fans don't work at all. After it stops raining for a bit it starts working as normal. I'm not to familiar with this car since I've only owned it for about a month. Any ideas of what could be the culprit or where I should start looking for the issue? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ramosss
Hey all. I have a 2000 gle with 78,xxx miles and my problem is that whenever it rains my a/c stops blowing. The controls don't turn off and they still function (can turn temp up and down as well as other settings) but the fans don't work at all. After it stops raining for a bit it starts working as normal. I'm not to familiar with this car since I've only owned it for about a month. Any ideas of what could be the culprit or where I should start looking for the issue? Thanks!
When you say the fans stop, are you referring the the fan inside the passenger cabin or the radiator fans?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Long time member but first post.

Anyway, I'm going to overhaul my 02 SE. For me, the headlights set cars apart from others. I was looking at the Spec-D Halo lights (part# LH-MAX02H-KS). My questions are: Has anybody purchased these yet? I've searched all of the modifications threads and saw some nice headlights, but no one specified Spec-D. If there's a better alternative, and photos to go along with it, I'm game. Thanks in advance Maxima.org fam!

Spec-D Headlight link: http://www.specdtuning.com/lh-max02hks.html
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ramosss
Also, not sure if you mean the AC stops blowing or if it just stop blowing cold air. (On the strange control issue, I'm assuming you mean the control won't turn off even if you press the OFF button, but then that button works when it stops raining?).
One of the first things to check is the condition of the belt that drives the alternator and A/C; it could be loose and/or may need replacement
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Quick question...

Will 00-01 headlights fit in an 02-03 front bumper setup? Fit meaning, not being to big or small to the point where it looks like it obviously doesn't go. I need to get a new front bumper cover and the 00-01 is gonna cost about as much as the 02-03 bumper and grille together and the 02-03 front end looks better. But I don't have enough to spend $400 on a set of 02-03 headlights at this time.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 AM

is there anyway to run your vin through a system to see whats been done on it in its life at a dealership? I called one and they said that since its a 2000 they could not go that far back.

Also, is there a way to see if there are any recalls that have never been done on it?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-25-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by 00MaxMayne
Quick question...

Will 00-01 headlights fit in an 02-03 front bumper setup? Fit meaning, not being to big or small to the point where it looks like it obviously doesn't go. I need to get a new front bumper cover and the 00-01 is gonna cost about as much as the 02-03 bumper and grille together and the 02-03 front end looks better. But I don't have enough to spend $400 on a set of 02-03 headlights at this time.
They will fit but you'll have a gap along the bottom of the headlight. I'd say its about 1/4".
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

is there anyway to run your vin through a system to see whats been done on it in its life at a dealership? I called one and they said that since its a 2000 they could not go that far back.
Also, is there a way to see if there are any recalls that have never been done on it?
Try another dealer, or give Nissan North America a call. They MAY have the answer.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 AM

how do I know if my car is about to throw a rod? I bought a 00' max and it starts but dosent run great. the guy I bought it from said it was gonna throw a rod soon and that you could hear it. I am replacing the engine but still I'd like to know how he came to that conclusion.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM

how do I know if my car is about to throw a rod? I bought a 00' max and it starts but dosent run great. the guy I bought it from said it was gonna throw a rod soon and that you could hear it. I am replacing the engine but still I'd like to know how he came to that conclusion.
Throw a rod? Is it making a ticking noise? How's the oil and oil pressure? If it has low oil pressure, or can't maintain pressure, then the bearings will be shot, then the rod will most likely break. Either way, if that's true, not good. Only a engine tear down could determine.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
L36

Originally Posted by agavrysh
Recently my maxima 2000 was overheating, I fixed the problem by changing a radiator. 2 weeks later I noticed that temperature gauge started to go up. I checked the coolant and it was low. I have added some more, but couple days later it was low again. I don't see any coolant spills on engine or ground. Several weeks ago I have checked engine for possible blown head gasket or cracked head, so I don't really think that I have that, because since then I never let the car to really overheat. When the car is running I can hear some clicking noise or something in the area of my belts and timing chain. Also I don't know if it's significant but, after running a car for like 5 min and stopping on lights, the car would shake on Overdrive. Have anyone had this problem before?

P.S. During my overheating problem 2 weeks before, my coolant wasn't leaking.
Have you burped the cooling system?

An another note, my car makes a whining like noise obviously coming from the steering system when its warm. The whining noise gets tad louder once i turn the steering wheel.
No leaks or fluid loss anywhere, could it be the pump on its way out?

Last edited by L36; 08-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by L36
An another note, my car makes a whining like noise obviously coming from the steering system when its warm. The whining noise gets tad louder once i turn the steering wheel.
No leaks or fluid loss anywhere, could it be the pump on its way out?
Could be. Just make sure it's not your tensioner, since those are more likely to go, and since turning the wheel will change rpms and thus tension on the belts, the noise will also vary. Also make sure your ps belt isn't shredding itself.

You have checked the ps system for leaks and all that, yes?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

If Im replacing an engine what are the main components that need replacing. things that are prone to fail on these.....2000 max SE manual
Other than the clutch itself, nothing you can't fix later leaving the engine in place (other than engine internals and stuff like that). For all the complaining about Maximas here, they're actually not that exciting in terms of stuff breaking.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
L36

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
Could be. Just make sure it's not your tensioner, since those are more likely to go, and since turning the wheel will change rpms and thus tension on the belts, the noise will also vary. Also make sure your ps belt isn't shredding itself.

You have checked the ps system for leaks and all that, yes?
Checked rack and pinion, not a single drop in sight and this has been going on for some time. HP hose has been replaced but no leaks there.

The noise is a whining like. Belt in in excellent condition.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Suspension Yoda

Has your PS system ever been flushed? Perhaps a blockage in the piping? I would rule out improper fluid flow first.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'03 Maxima -ghost in the machine?

This is my first inquiry here and I could sure use some help. I've had/have three Maxima's ('90, '03 and '11). The problem is with my '03. 86k miles on her, take excellent care but have had a problem starting her. A year ago, tried to turn her over, and it would make some computer clicking noises, the interior idiot lights on the screen would light up for a fraction of a second then go dark. Nothing. Had it towed to the dealership two blocks from the house and it started up once it rolled off the flat bed. They ran it thru diagnostics and said it was a bad main fuse from the battery. Replaced it. No problem. I then replaced the battery given it's age. No problem. Then a year later, same thing. Towed to the dealer and they said a wire from the fuse box was exposed so they taped it (or something) and then no problem. Third time, 3 months ago, same thing, had it towed to the dealer, they ran diagnostics on it, no problems. It turned over after they rolled into the garage. Now I'm getting tired of paying tow bills and paying charges for a problem that can't be found, and worse, not having a car I can depend. Dealer said they can't figure out the problem unless it's not able to start at the dealer, but all three times, it was fine after delivery and they claimed they couldn't figure out what else might be the problem. Any one have any suggestions? I don't want to sell it and know this problem exists and i'd rather fix it and keep her. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 PM
L36

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Has your PS system ever been flushed? Perhaps a blockage in the piping? I would rule out improper fluid flow first.
You know what, im going to try that first. The fluid does seem murky in the reservoir, it might be just blockage / dirty fluid.
Is there a possible write up how i would flush the system and what fluid to use?
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by John Drake
This is my first inquiry here and I could sure use some help. I've had/have three Maxima's ('90, '03 and '11). The problem is with my '03. 86k miles on her, take excellent care but have had a problem starting her. A year ago, tried to turn her over, and it would make some computer clicking noises, the interior idiot lights on the screen would light up for a fraction of a second then go dark. Nothing. Had it towed to the dealership two blocks from the house and it started up once it rolled off the flat bed. They ran it thru diagnostics and said it was a bad main fuse from the battery. Replaced it. No problem. I then replaced the battery given it's age. No problem. Then a year later, same thing. Towed to the dealer and they said a wire from the fuse box was exposed so they taped it (or something) and then no problem. Third time, 3 months ago, same thing, had it towed to the dealer, they ran diagnostics on it, no problems. It turned over after they rolled into the garage. Now I'm getting tired of paying tow bills and paying charges for a problem that can't be found, and worse, not having a car I can depend. Dealer said they can't figure out the problem unless it's not able to start at the dealer, but all three times, it was fine after delivery and they claimed they couldn't figure out what else might be the problem. Any one have any suggestions? I don't want to sell it and know this problem exists and i'd rather fix it and keep her. Thanks!
If it's your starter going click-click-click, and the lights go dark, it's a battery or battery-to-car connection issue. The first thing to check is the battery. The next thing to check is the cables and fuses. In the previous cases, it was a fuse or the battery, but since the problem is recurring:

1. check your ground wires for corrosion at the contacts, and the positive wire connections at the starter and alternator; road salt and humidity can do some nasty things there.

2. get the charging system tested, under load too if possible.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM

so my car will start but i can't keep it running. 215k, the guy said it was about to throw a rod. 00' SE manual.....It just wont idle. If I let off the gas it will die, if i keep reving the engine it will die. where should I start first?

how easy is it to switch out cloth seats for leather interior? direct swap? what about the panel inserts on the door? same with back seats?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-25-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread