5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
Fuel gauge is off...Started after winter time.. Learned the hard way and ran out of gas on the expressway. Fluctuates constantly and is never giving accurate readings...Any experiences and/or fixes?
It is one of 2 things - the gauge in the dash or the sender unit in the gas tank. Run the instrument cluster self diagnostic. If the dash gauge works OK in the test, then the gas tank sender unit is bad.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so im pulling up to a friends house and i smell cooliant. i popped the hood and had cooliant ovr the front of the motor. so i let it cool. filled it up with water and was on my way bk hme to park it. just as im getting on the freeway the temp gauge starts climbing. well soon enough im pulling off to the side with no power steering or brakes. i tryd to restart it but its only turning the pulley's and not starting. ne idea's???? when i pulld it ovr and popd the hood it seemed like black smoke came rite above the side of the motor with the pulleys and serp. belt. i thought my motor was fried. but thn whn u go to start it the starter is moving the flywheel but its not kicking ovr. im puzzled please help!!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It is one of 2 things - the gauge in the dash or the sender unit in the gas tank. Run the instrument cluster self diagnostic. If the dash gauge works OK in the test, then the gas tank sender unit is bad.
What is the process to test the gauge?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM

it should show if you look in the FSM
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM

nevermind, thanks Amerikaner

Last edited by tseng1023; 08-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 02blackmaxima
so im pulling up to a friends house and i smell cooliant. i popped the hood and had cooliant ovr the front of the motor. so i let it cool. filled it up with water and was on my way bk hme to park it. just as im getting on the freeway the temp gauge starts climbing. well soon enough im pulling off to the side with no power steering or brakes. i tryd to restart it but its only turning the pulley's and not starting. ne idea's???? when i pulld it ovr and popd the hood it seemed like black smoke came rite above the side of the motor with the pulleys and serp. belt. i thought my motor was fried. but thn whn u go to start it the starter is moving the flywheel but its not kicking ovr. im puzzled please help!!
What the... Temperature climbing means bad business. First off your radiator oozed on your engine cover, continuing to drive it, it continued to ooz out. No coolant=overheat=kaboom Your belts 'might' have gone bad from the ooz.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM

I'm so confused right now. Where is the float sensor for the gas tank?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM

I'm so confused right now. Where is the float sensor for the gas tank?
It is part of the sending unit that is inside the gas tank. You can access it by removing the rear seat cushion and then the black metal cover that is in the center. Since you do this inside the car, you want to depressurize the fuel lines before you disconnect the hoses.

Here is a thread with some photos:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ding-unit.html
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 PM

I have an '02 Max and I need to go get an emissions check but I've got to get rid of this SES light first. The code I'm getting is p0455. I've taken the vapor canister out and looked for cracks/pressure tested it and there aren't any leaks in it. I took the valve off of it and connected it to a 12v power supply and it too is fine. p0455 is a "gross leak" and the only thing I can narrow it down is the top of my filler neck. It's pretty well rusted. Instead of replacing the whole neck. I want to spray some rust reformer on it, build the lip back up with JB weld or an equivalent, and replace the gas cap. I'm for someone to provide me with a small bit of information so I can do this. I need to know how tall the lip is that the gasket in your gas cap seals against is (roughly).

Also, I assume this isn't the original gas cap as it doesn't have a little plastic lanyard that it hangs from. Could it not being the original gas cap also give me problems? If so, which would be the best cap to get?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Suspension Yoda

I'm somewhat certain gas caps are universal.

And if not, I got one from a dealer for about $12.

Seems like a lot of work to rebuild the neck. Considering it's touching gasoline which is corrosive, I personally would replace with new. Who knows how it will interact with rust reformer and JP Weld.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM

I went ahead and bought a Stant Cap last night just in case. It may sound like a lot of work, but it's really not as bad as it might have been made out to be. There's probably 3/4" run where the lip is maybe an 1/8" lower than the rest of it. Other than that it's not so horrible, just some pitting. JB Weld shouldn't have any issues with gasoline. I'm having it smoke tested Tuesday just to be sure that it's not just the Filler Neck that's giving me problems.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi! I was about to gut my front precat but the mechanic guy say its was ok no need to gut dem what you guy think I upload two vid of the front one and firewall side thank!

Front precat:http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/...3/abdc56c8.mp4

Firewall precat:http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/...3/825b1506.mp4
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

Why were you going to gut your precat?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Why were you going to gut your precat?
Strong rotten egg smell the mechanic guy say its was my precat we check the main one and the inlet honeycomb mesh was half Ripped but he say we can see the light spot inside so it's good the car run pretty good just a p1147 that come and go I didn't take a pic of the main cat but if the honeycomb don't stand where is suppose to be that mean its not good anymore? And it make some rattle
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

That code is for a sensor, not the precat.

If the precat is shot, replace it. It's a $200 aftermarket part. I'm assuming you have an 00-01 Cali spec?

Also, please start proofreading and using proper punctuation. It's very difficult to read what you're saying. Help us help you.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That code is for a sensor, not the precat.

If the precat is shot, replace it. It's a $200 aftermarket part. I'm assuming you have an 00-01 Cali spec?

Also, please start proofreading and using proper punctuation. It's very difficult to read what you're saying. Help us help you.
Ok its a 02, sorry my English writing is not good I am French spoken I try my best thanx for the answer.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

I would start with replacing the bank one secondary o2 sensor.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

super issue need help

Ok so i just got finished changing the rad supprt on my 00 maxima and the car started actting up. It started out sounding like the cat was clogged but after running a pressure test there was no pressure in the cat so its obviously not clogged. The next idea were working is a problem with the fuel pump/system. It throws a p0174 code every now and then but it also "goes away" without resetting and clearing the code. Any ideas wwould be great?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 02 Max with 110k miles is doing the timing chain rattle occasionally at start up for one or two seconds. Also the oil light flashes for a second then goes off. No other occurrence or either problem after start up. Oil level is good, just changed two weeks ago. What would you do for this? Safe to Ignore?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^ could be the oil sensor itself. Very easy and cheap fix.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^ could be the oil sensor itself. Very easy and cheap fix.
Thanks for the response. That would also cause the rattle at startup?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

Not 100% sure on that.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sean0825
My 02 Max with 110k miles is doing the timing chain rattle occasionally at start up for one or two seconds. Also the oil light flashes for a second then goes off. No other occurrence or either problem after start up. Oil level is good, just changed two weeks ago. What would you do for this? Safe to Ignore?
The oil light flashing could be a bad oil filter that drains out when the engine is not running. Oil filters are not supposed to drain out.

Timing chain rattle is probably worn guides & tensioners.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

AT Check light

I just bought an 03 maxima SE (59k miles) a few days ago, but now I'm getting AT Check light blinking for about 8 seconds. The manuel says if the blinks for 8 seconds I need to take it to the dealer and have them check and repair it. Anyone have any experience with this? The car runs and shifts with no trouble and the fluid is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Brock
I just bought an 03 maxima SE (59k miles) a few days ago, but now I'm getting AT Check light blinking for about 8 seconds. The manuel says if the blinks for 8 seconds I need to take it to the dealer and have them check and repair it. Anyone have any experience with this? The car runs and shifts with no trouble and the fluid is fine.

Scan for codes.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Did you buy from a dealer? If so, take it back.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by Kevin Brock

You can check in the FSM for the procedure to follow which will point out any internal failures in the transmission.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Hey guys, 2 questions.

First, I've just recently bought a 2000 SE 5speed manual with 152k on it, love the car. Problem is that for the first couple minutes that I drive it, it's jerky as all hell, mostly in 2nd gear. If I'm slowing down(not necessarily braking), the car will jerk back and forth pretty noticeably at low speeds. This effect clears itself up after driving the car for about 3 or 4 minutes and then it feels great. I'm wondering, is this just some parts of the car warming up or something? Because it only happens if the car has been sitting for a few hours at least. I also recently installed an Injen CAI (not the greatest type, I know, but I only learned this after purchase) and I had to replace the MAF during this process. Could this be related to the issue?

Secondly, my mechanic is offering to sell me a very nice used magnaflow muffler and tips for 100$ and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Only issue is that my stock muffler has an offset on the inlet pipe, and this magnaflow's inlet is centered, so some minor pipe bending will need to be done to install it. Should I avoid this, will it cause any issues, or should I go ahead with the deal because I think it'd look and sound great with the CAI.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM

New to forum

What up. Just bought a SE Maxima 02 6spd 3.5 49k miles. This is my second I had 91 SE 5spd years ago. I've built alot of old school Domestic stuff, getting back into imports with this 5th gen. As of now I need to find some fog lights(mine are missing), and then going to start with basic performance mods. I'm seeing that there are alot of things I'm not familiar with, but hopefully I can learn here. Car just threw a check engine light last night as well, so Autozone trip tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by viking89
Hey guys, 2 questions.

First, I've just recently bought a 2000 SE 5speed manual with 152k on it, love the car. Problem is that for the first couple minutes that I drive it, it's jerky as all hell, mostly in 2nd gear. If I'm slowing down(not necessarily braking), the car will jerk back and forth pretty noticeably at low speeds. This effect clears itself up after driving the car for about 3 or 4 minutes and then it feels great. I'm wondering, is this just some parts of the car warming up or something? Because it only happens if the car has been sitting for a few hours at least. I also recently installed an Injen CAI (not the greatest type, I know, but I only learned this after purchase) and I had to replace the MAF during this process. Could this be related to the issue?

Secondly, my mechanic is offering to sell me a very nice used magnaflow muffler and tips for 100$ and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Only issue is that my stock muffler has an offset on the inlet pipe, and this magnaflow's inlet is centered, so some minor pipe bending will need to be done to install it. Should I avoid this, will it cause any issues, or should I go ahead with the deal because I think it'd look and sound great with the CAI.

Thanks!
Hey guys, I'm still looking for an answer to both these questions. Any help?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car is a 5 speed gearbox.
5 speed manual or 6-speed manual
WHAT is better?

what 6 speed gearbox part code ?
What is the impact velocity, and acceleration?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

when car is hot, i am not able to stat in one attempt, it start and die suddenly, in the second attempt it start normally. I am hearing hissing noise on back side of intake manifold. To check the vacuum leak, i sprayed carborater cleaner on the front side of intake manifold and vacuum pipe connection, but not able to find. i dont no from where the hissing sound is coming , kindly help

Last edited by arbabbio1; 09-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got a 5.5 gen 2002 Maxima with 3.5 VQ engine, 52k (go CarMax search tool!). Here's the thing: the engine (I am pretty sure) "sings" a really, really high-pitched power-saw tone on light acceleration right around 62-68 mph, then it goes even higher and mostly disappears from hearing range over about 70. It's identical every time, and happens every time. I'm thinking timing chain tensioner/guides is causing something to scrape? At lower speeds, it's a very, very light metal-scraping sound under normal acceleration, and louder woossshhh when you floor it. Still in CarMax 30 day warranty period, and have an appointment Tuesday.Car drives great, just irritating, and sure don't want t-chain troubles.... Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just recently got a 2002 nissan maxima SE 6-speed with 332k miles, same motor from another maxima with 100k on it, Before hand I was told it needed a knock sensor and a rack and pinion. I Bought a new knock sensor and before reading anything about this stuff I got the sensor out and realized the wire had been chewed through by mice (it was full of nests under there) but I noticed on the Sub-Harness there was 2 wires coming in and 1 going out to the sensor, I opened the harness up thinking it wasn't suppose to be like that but turns out I messed the harness up and can't find anywhere to buy one from. I checked local auto parts store and online but couldn't find anything.

Would anyone know where to find a new sub-harness?

I am assumeing this is what's wrong with the car because it will not go over 3k rpms without jerking down and it was the only error code that I was getting.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 PM

5.5 auto trans when shifting to D from P one time it literally banged into it. Tranny about to go? When car is warmed up it is just a jerk.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Adinas95
I just recently got a 2002 nissan maxima SE 6-speed with 332k miles, same motor from another maxima with 100k on it, Before hand I was told it needed a knock sensor and a rack and pinion. I Bought a new knock sensor and before reading anything about this stuff I got the sensor out and realized the wire had been chewed through by mice (it was full of nests under there) but I noticed on the Sub-Harness there was 2 wires coming in and 1 going out to the sensor, I opened the harness up thinking it wasn't suppose to be like that but turns out I messed the harness up and can't find anywhere to buy one from. I checked local auto parts store and online but couldn't find anything.

I am assumeing this is what's wrong with the car because it will not go over 3k rpms without jerking down and it was the only error code that I was getting.
The only place that would sell a new wire harness is Nissan. You can go to a junk yard or look in the Maxima.org classified ads for a used one.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-2000-2003-42/
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The only place that would sell a new wire harness is Nissan. You can go to a junk yard or look in the Maxima.org classified ads for a used one.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-2000-2003-42/
Ok Thanks for the info
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM

5.5 auto trans when shifting to D from P one time it literally banged into it. Tranny about to go? When car is warmed up it is just a jerk.
Are you parking on an incline?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM

no. well, barely noticeable from flat land so basically no
Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Adinas95

Dealer should be able to get you the harness with open ended wires on the other end so that you can splice in.

Or, junkyard.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread