Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   UR S pulley vs. UR Sc pulley vs. motostorm (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/365608-ur-s-pulley-vs-ur-sc-pulley-vs-motostorm.html)

KCMC582 08-18-2006 07:50 PM

UR S pulley vs. UR Sc pulley vs. motostorm

So i have searched and searched, asked other members, researched online, and i still dont have a clear answer. From what I can see, the S pulley is an underdrive pulley, which should theoretically free up the most power. the Sc is a lightened pulley. the motostorm one says its an underdrive lightened pulley. i have been leading toward MS because i like dealing with smaller companies like that, such as Berk and Cattman, and their piece is also cheaper AND comes with the belts, which i think is huge that it comes with the belts.

i know gains will be minimal, and the best i can hope for is probably smoother running with better throttle response, but i need new belts anyway, i might as well get the new pulley as well. i remember from my Accord days that the underdrive pulley strained the alternator so much that they were failing. that doesnt seem to be an issue here, but is there really any reason to get the S over the Sc? or either one in the motostorm?

irish44j 08-18-2006 08:06 PM

I would get the full-size pulley. There is really no reason to underdrive....it can only do harm.

vq356sp 08-18-2006 09:42 PM

I have had my Motostorm UDP for about 4 months and so far so good. No complaints or negative effects on my max. I think it will only affect you if you have a bumpN system. I say go for it :tribe:

Ride2kMax 08-19-2006 05:24 AM

i would like to know the answer for this one too.

00MaxSE 08-19-2006 08:09 AM

I've also had the Motostorm UDP for over a year now. No problems. Go for it. Brett is a great seller.

joebangaa 08-19-2006 08:15 AM

By normal standards, I have what people might consider to be an excessive stereo system, but it doesn't seem to be affected at all by my MS UDP. HOWEVER, after driving around with it for nearly 6 months now, the pulley/belt has developed a tendency to squeal whenever the A/C is on. The belt isn't loose so I've been applying some belt conditioner the last few days, which seems to help some. My personal mechanic is a Z/G tuner and an overall Nissan guru, and he claims that many of the UDPs he has installed on Z's and G's in the past have had the same issue (despite proper tension). He even says some customers have returned to their stock pulley because they just couldn't figure out what the squeal was.

Bottom line, if you're looking for power gains, forget about the pulley in general, it's mostly just for response. Coupled w/ the 17* base timing advance, the throttle response on 5.5 gens can easily rival the DBC used in 4th/5th gens...

upstatemax 08-19-2006 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I would get the full-size pulley. There is really no reason to underdrive....it can only do harm.

I have had my MotoStorm UDP on for over a year now and I have not had one problem...

KCMC582 08-19-2006 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
I have had my MotoStorm UDP on for over a year now and I have not had one problem...

Originally Posted by vq356sp
I have had my Motostorm UDP for about 4 months and so far so good. No complaints or negative effects on my max. I think it will only affect you if you have a bumpN system. I say go for it

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
I've also had the Motostorm UDP for over a year now. No problems. Go for it. Brett is a great seller.

So you guys with the motostorm, what changes did you notice? increased throttle response, better acceleration, anything like that? Im pretty convinced at this point that i will go with them.

Also, is Brett on this forum? Or you just know him from ordering?

Kevlo911 08-19-2006 05:01 PM

I have been trying to buy an SC pulley for a while. Too much new. I don't want underdrive but some people do.

upstatemax 08-19-2006 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
So you guys with the motostorm, what changes did you notice? increased throttle response, better acceleration, anything like that? Im pretty convinced at this point that i will go with them.

Also, is Brett on this forum? Or you just know him from ordering?

Better throttle response, revs a bit quicker...

Great UDP as far as I am concerned, I did not know that were comming with belts now though. Even better deal! What are they charging now? (if you don't mind me asking)

I don't think Brett is on the forum, what I remember, the guy who started the GD that I got my UDP from was the one who dealt with us on the ORG. He did not have an account.

KCMC582 08-20-2006 07:52 AM

from their site, its $109 with belts, before shipping i assume. im gonna check with my friends, see who has the skills to install this, and order it this week.

upstatemax 08-20-2006 07:59 AM

from their site, its $109 with belts, before shipping i assume. im gonna check with my friends, see who has the skills to install this, and order it this week.

Thats a good deal, when I got mine through a big GD last year I think we got them for just under $80 shipped and then I had to go get new belts.

I just had a shop install it, if they do, have them tighten the belt a bit more than spec to keep the noise away. :hs:

doublea 08-20-2006 08:02 AM

I have been running the MS underdrive pulley for over a year now with no problem, no squeaking or belt shredding, I only have a better trottle response. I believe if you have a SC you have to move back to stock size pulley otherwise I think it will over spin the blower. Can anyone confirm that, since I'll be installing a S/C with Matty's kit over the next winter.

KCMC582 08-20-2006 08:10 AM

Thats a good deal, when I got mine through a big GD last year I think we got them for just under $80 shipped and then I had to go get new belts.

I just had a shop install it, if they do, have them tighten the belt a bit more than spec to keep the noise away. :hs:

how much did a shop charge you to install it?

doublea, i couldnt answer that, no S/C for us 5.5 guys.....yet

upstatemax 08-20-2006 08:17 AM

how much did a shop charge you to install it?

I think it was a little over $100 for pully and belt install, I had some other stuff done while it was there also so the total bill was close to $400...

bloody35se 09-18-2006 03:40 PM

ur pulley i think is a really good pulley

VaporHead 09-18-2006 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bloody35se

WTH! Trying to get his 15 posts i think. lol

irish44j 09-18-2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bloody35se

:Orly: noobie....

please explain to us why you think that.

nismology 09-18-2006 03:58 PM

Better throttle response, revs a bit quicker...

Everyone says "it revs a bit quicker". This implies that there's more power but I have yet to see a dyno or 1/4 mile time that backs the UDP up.

JSutter 09-18-2006 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Everyone says "it revs a bit quicker". This implies that there's more power but I have yet to see a dyno or 1/4 mile time that backs the UDP up.

:Orly:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/2K2UDP.htm

But track tests are another story. The gains are to minimal to show up on the drag strip.

nismology 09-18-2006 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
:Orly:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/2K2UDP.htm

But track tests are another story. The gains are to minimal to show up on the drag strip.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:bowdown1: for that link...

NmexMAX 09-18-2006 04:49 PM

Greg also compared the best and worst runs there.... and showed the extremes.

JSutter 09-18-2006 05:01 PM

Hey I never said that a pulley does anything, but aparently there are gains.
$100 piece of metal=shiney but never noticed

Funny thing is the SR crowd swears by them, but they get 3 in all.

NmexMAX 09-18-2006 05:05 PM

Mine's still lying in my back seat... one of these days I'll complete my engine set-up so that the ECU can adapt to the pulley

nismology 09-18-2006 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Hey I never said that a pulley does anything, but aparently there are gains.
$100 piece of metal=shiney but never noticed

Funny thing is the SR crowd swears by them, but they get 3 in all.

Like i've said in other threads, the motor has to accelerate the rotors, wheels, axles, flywheel, and transmission. Thinking that removing a few pounds from an already small and relatively light stock pulley will make your car faster is flat out laughable IMO.

upstatemax 09-18-2006 05:19 PM

Like i've said in other threads, the motor has to accelerate the rotors, wheels, axles, flywheel, and transmission. Thinking that removing a few pounds from an already small and relatively light stock pulley will make your car faster is flat out laughable IMO.

Have yo ever felt a stock pully?

I am sorry but removing weight directly off the crank, it is going to have some effect. I am not going to say it is a big difference, a slight defference and the only reason I got one was because I got it for $75 shipped.

nismology 09-18-2006 05:25 PM

Have yo ever felt a stock pully?

Yes i have. What i said still stands though.

I am sorry but removing weight directly off the crank, it is going to have some effect. I am not going to say it is a big difference, a slight defference and the only reason I got one was because I got it for $75 shipped.
Sure removing a few pounds off of the crank will allow the engine rev more quickly IN NEUTRAL.

Once in gear though, there is no appreciable effect due all the other massive things the motor has to accelerate.

Furthermore, the inertia of a rotating body is proportional to it's mass and diameter. The stock pulley isn't all that heavy or wide to begin with, relatively speaking. This is why a lightweight flywheel is >>>>>> UDP.

maxspeed96CT 09-18-2006 05:34 PM

I am the first person to ever have a problem with the motostorm pulley on my 4th gen, It is 2 peice pulley, it loosed and wore out were the 2 pices connect to each other, when i took it off to try to tighten the two peices, it still had play in it and was just garbage.....

I had it for about 20k and it took a serious beating, but that still shouldn't of happend...........

I must say i felt that I did help me alot, it made my car more responsive and seems like it reved qwker, especialy in the 5k+ range(while in gear not neutral)

For my next pulley I plan to buy the UR SC.

nismology 09-18-2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I must say i felt that I did help me alot, it made my car more responsive and seems like it reved qwker, especialy in the 5k+ range(while in gear not neutral).

Everybody says it "revs quicker" after installing the UDP. Revs quicker = more power = faster car...no way around it. I have yet to see 1/4 mile times that support this.

maxspeed96CT 09-18-2006 07:34 PM

Everybody says it "revs quicker" after installing the UDP. Revs quicker = more power = faster car...no way around it. I have yet to see 1/4 mile times that support this.

then you dont buy it, who cares, dont bs others not to get it cause YOU dnt see how it works...

vq356sp 09-18-2006 07:35 PM

Why not get a pulley? its only about 100 bucks and im almost certain it does something (from what I can feel) same stuff as mentioned above, quicker rev,the VQ feels a bit more responsive than before.........
IMO isnt it better than someone spending there money on ricer wing,red caliper paint,stickers,custom badging,cool body kit,cool grill,indiglo gauges. :chebosto:

NmexMAX 09-18-2006 07:40 PM

then you dont buy it, who cares, dont bs others not to get it cause YOU dnt see how it works...
Facts > BS...

He's not BSing anyone, there are no facts to support it, Dave B (not the parts dude) has proven it at the track... No gain.

upstatemax 09-18-2006 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Facts > BS...

He's not BSing anyone, there are no facts to support it, Dave B (not the parts dude) has proven it at the track... No gain.

Even if it does nothing... It looks pretty! :gotme:

NmexMAX 09-18-2006 07:44 PM

:sprint:
: That's why I have one :lolrun: ,,..In my backseat.

upstatemax 09-18-2006 07:46 PM

: That's why I have one :lolrun: ,,..In my backseat.

I am gonna pierce my ear and wear it as an earing.

True story. :nod:

NmexMAX 09-18-2006 07:54 PM

:lolrun: National Geographic :nervous:

maxspeed96CT 09-19-2006 01:43 PM

Facts > BS...

thats funny cause my name is also dave b, and its proven to me that it works , after i put it on i kept pulling on my firends 96 max when i had my 99, before i got the pulley we were dead even.

Theres the proof from dave b #2 :calder:

nismology 09-19-2006 03:25 PM

thats funny cause my name is also dave b, and its proven to me that it works , after i put it on i kept pulling on my firends 96 max when i had my 99, before i got the pulley we were dead even.

Theres the proof from dave b #2 :calder:

404datanotfound

NmexMAX 09-19-2006 05:32 PM

404datanotfound

Theres the proof from dave b #2

You're DaveB #3 actually.

TDotMax 09-19-2006 06:27 PM

No experience with crank pulley's...But honestly I've only heard feedbback that it does crap and people wasted a day installing it on various cars. I'd really need to see a dyno comparisson before I'd get one as I know too much people who said it does crap on other vehicles other then a VQ.