5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is it illegal to not have the f&r side markers light up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:04 PM
No More Maxipad

is it illegal to not have the f&r side markers light up?

i want to remove mine. i already took out my parking light bulb i like the way the headlight look with just the hid and not with the parking light on. i just think there's too much different kinds of light in the front (low beam, parking light, side marker, fog) since i think all we need is have orange reflective in front and red reflective in back should be legal enough i want to take the bulbs out hah
Old 09-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by lowincash
i want to remove mine. i already took out my parking light bulb i like the way the headlight look with just the hid and not with the parking light on. i just think there's too much different kinds of light in the front (low beam, parking light, side marker, fog) since i think all we need is have orange reflective in front and red reflective in back should be legal enough i want to take the bulbs out hah
i dont have any, front or back. i think its just not legal to have them blue, but i could be wrong

Old 09-23-2006, 05:26 PM
A swift Bimmer driver

I had trouble getting an inspection sticker cuz my front side makers were disabled!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM

yes its illegal even the white ones are.... those are meant to be there so when u pull out of a drive way or parking lot ppl get a warning that something is there ... without them ppl wont see ur car at nite i have the white ones but had to pop in the stock for inspection one time other then that the cops dont mind them around here
Old 09-23-2006, 06:31 PM
No More Maxipad

ic ya i think i'll just leave them on...safety comes first...it does look better now after i took out the little parking light bulb on top of the lows
Old 09-23-2006, 08:25 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i have driven around with completely blacked out ones for the better part of two years. i have been pulled over once for speeding during that time and the officer either did not care or did not notice since they were body color. i only put the stock back on when it is inspection time to save myself any hassles.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the clears in mine, but I put in orange LEDs in the front and red in the back so at night they still light up the right colors.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:51 AM
all teh single ladiez

mine stopped working, and after a tinting experiment gone horrible mine are completely blacked out.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I have the clears in mine, but I put in orange LEDs in the front and red in the back so at night they still light up the right colors.
+1 Exactly what I did. Honestly, I don't understand why it would be illegal, since not all cars actually have sidemarkers. But then again, I can see the legality issue from a safety standpoint...
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 PM

not all cars have side markers.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
not all cars have side markers.
All vehicles in the US and Canada are required by DOT standards to have side marking lights and reflectors which are orange front and red rear. Early model cars are exempt from this law since they were manufactured before the date that law took effect like for instance some cars from the 1940's.

On some cars the front and rear markers are visible in the bumpers whereas on others the rear markers are integrated into the rear tail light piece and front headlight assembly. That is why some people might believe those models do not have any markers, but when you view the vehicle at night you can see the reflector & marker from the side at the rear & front of the vehicle.

In Europe most of cars do not have side markers or reflectors. However, I have personally seen a few cars that do have side markers in Europe and it's orange front and orange rear. I don't know what the DOT regulations are for trucks, busses and other larger vehicles in the UK or the rest of Europe, but I noticed they all have orange marking lights and reflectors, but only orange no red. As for the cars most of them don't have any markers, but they all have side turn signals in the fenders or on the side mirrors and they only light up when you use your signals.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
No More Maxipad

ya i just noticed the altimas don't have side markers and the reflectors are integrated into their headlights and tail lights.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

All vehicles in the US and Canada are required by DOT standards to have side marking lights and reflectors which are orange front and red rear. Early model cars are exempt from this law since they were manufactured before the date that law took effect like for instance some cars from the 1940's.

On some cars the front and rear markers are visible in the bumpers whereas on others the rear markers are integrated into the rear tail light piece and front headlight assembly. That is why some people might believe those models do not have any markers, but when you view the vehicle at night you can see the reflector & marker from the side at the rear & front of the vehicle.

In Europe most of cars do not have side markers or reflectors. However, I have personally seen a few cars that do have side markers in Europe and it's orange front and orange rear. I don't know what the DOT regulations are for trucks, busses and other larger vehicles in the UK or the rest of Europe, but I noticed they all have orange marking lights and reflectors, but only orange no red. As for the cars most of them don't have any markers, but they all have side turn signals in the fenders or on the side mirrors and they only light up when you use your signals.
Add to Redstone's Reputation Report Bad Post
That's something I was thinking about... My 94 Camry had front bumper lights like the 4th gen Maxima's, and rear lights that wrapped around the side of the trunk. The outermost front bumper lights were the turn signals...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
That's something I was thinking about... My 94 Camry had front bumper lights like the 4th gen Maxima's, and rear lights that wrapped around the side of the trunk. The outermost front bumper lights were the turn signals...
Yeah I have seen this on those model Camrys and Maximas too. And there are other cars out there with a similar set-up. So what is your point for quoting what I said before referring to it as a bad post?? Look at it this way for people who did'nt know about it I guess they can learn from what I wrote. I think we all come here to learn a little bit from each other instead of criticizing what other people write. I have seen bad posts all the time and I simply refuse to waste time and make any comments.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 AM

i dont think its illegal since not all cars have sidemarkers
Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Yeah I have seen this on those model Camrys and Maximas too. And there are other cars out there with a similar set-up. So what is your point for quoting what I said before referring to it as a bad post?? Look at it this way for people who did'nt know about it I guess they can learn from what I wrote. I think we all come here to learn a little bit from each other instead of criticizing what other people write. I have seen bad posts all the time and I simply refuse to waste time and make any comments.
I'm sorry, but when did I ever refer to what you said as a bad post? What you said was something I was thinking about, especially in reference to my last car. I did learn something from your post, and didn't say anything negative about it. I simply stated what I was thinking and how my last car is a prime example of a car without "traditional" sidemarkers.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 AM

My bad SilverGLE. Anyway to add to this discussion and to prevent anyone from getting wrong information I am going to Add a link to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 which became effective on January 1st 1968 for vehicles with a width of 80 inches or greater and on January 1st 1969 for all other vehicles. This applies directly to side marking lamps and refelctors. If you are not able to click on it then just copy and paste.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN108

I wish someday they would add orange only turn signals in the tail lights to the list instead of the current multi-standard where some are orange and some are red. Some makers even switch from red to orange or vice versa between years on the same model same shape. I am just viewing it from a safety standpoint that's all. Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by koolguy4u
i dont think its illegal since not all cars have sidemarkers
see what Redstone posted, our cars headlights and tail lights do not wrap around the sides or have integrated side reflectors, therefore, we have sidemarkers, which if turned off or disabled, yes, would be illegal.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

My bad SilverGLE. Anyway to add to this discussion and to prevent anyone from getting wrong information I am going to Add a link to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 which became effective on January 1st 1968 for vehicles with a width of 80 inches or greater and on January 1st 1969 for all other vehicles. This applies directly to side marking lamps and refelctors. If you are not able to click on it then just copy and paste.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN108

I wish someday they would add orange only turn signals in the tail lights to the list instead of the current multi-standard where some are orange and some are red. Some makers even switch from red to orange or vice versa between years on the same model same shape. I am just viewing it from a safety standpoint that's all. Just my opinion.
Hey, no problem! All in all, this thread has some very useful info about sidemarkers in it.... However, I also drove around for about 7 months with my rear sidemarker bulbs blown...