5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Made a copy of my key for my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Made a copy of my key for my car

at home depot.
Went to my car and unlocked my doors using the key fob but decided to lock/unlock using the new key. No prob.

Went to start the car and it cranked and cranked and cranked but didn't turn over. WTF? Tried again - same deal.

Figured it was the key. Used my original key - no problem.

Well this is evidently common knowledge but there is some sort of chip/transponder built into the keys. OK.

So the dealership key cost up to $60.

Went on ebay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks good but WTF is that part where it mentions that the key must be programmed by dealer or a locksmith? But it mentions that no programming is necessary for this key right above that.

I'm going to email the seller but does anyone have any idea regarding whether or not I can buy this key, get it cut and go about my biz or is there a more expensive step involved?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

well i see where it says no programming interactions for this key i guess they meant that they cant help you program it. you have to take it to the dealer or to a locksmith that can program it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

It has to be reprogrammed,
Home Depot

It's just a blank that needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. Call your local dealer and see what they charge. It's probably cheaper to buy the dealer key AND have them(dealer) reprogram it rather than buying the eBay key, and then paying the dealer to reprogram it.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM

It is actually the car's antitheft system that has to be programmed to recognize the key, not anything done to the key.

However, the take-home is the same, you need to go to a dealer. There is a way you can get the car to recognize a new key fob remote, if you have a key that is already registered, but it will not work for a new key.
(for reference: http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruct/remote.html )
Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Costed me $45 at a local locksmith shop to cut & program the key. I had two made so around $90 (extra for the g/f & my remote start). I heard the guys talking about the procedure...sounds fairly simply to do if you have the orignal key. No, I dont know the procedure but its gotta be out there somewhere.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 AM

I bought the key from the e-Bay guy for $12, then got a guy at Wal-Mart to cut the key for the $1.75 it cost me for the non-transponder blank he used to practice on, and then I found a dealer who did the programming for $37.

Still, it is absolutely ridiculous to have to go to the dealer to have a new key work; why can't a consumer just put the car in some kind of "learn" mode, as is done with a new fob?

The dealers know they have you by the ***** on this so they can charge anything. One dealer quoted me $81 just to program the key. A locksmith who had the equipment quoted me $75 to cut & program the key.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It has to be reprogrammed,
Home Depot

It's just a blank that needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. Call your local dealer and see what they charge. It's probably cheaper to buy the dealer key AND have them(dealer) reprogram it rather than buying the eBay key, and then paying the dealer to reprogram it.

LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 707SE
at home depot.
Went to my car and unlocked my doors using the key fob but decided to lock/unlock using the new key. No prob.

Went to start the car and it cranked and cranked and cranked but didn't turn over. WTF? Tried again - same deal.

Figured it was the key. Used my original key - no problem.

Well this is evidently common knowledge but there is some sort of chip/transponder built into the keys. OK.

So the dealership key cost up to $60.

Went on ebay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks good but WTF is that part where it mentions that the key must be programmed by dealer or a locksmith? But it mentions that no programming is necessary for this key right above that.

I'm going to email the seller but does anyone have any idea regarding whether or not I can buy this key, get it cut and go about my biz or is there a more expensive step involved?

Thanks in advance

For the record cranking is turning over. What you had was a no start condition with the new key. It would not start because it did not recognize the new key. Sometimes it's better to go to either a locksmith or dealer from the start than to go the "cheaper" route.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the knowledge zero duece.
For what its worth I didn't go the "cheaper route". I went to get a copy of a key. If I had known I needed to go to the dealer in the first place then I wouldn't have gone the "cheaper" or in my experience the "regular way" of going to a hardware store to get a copy of a key made.

anyhow sounds like I'll be going to the dealership this month.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 707SE
Thanks for the knowledge zero duece.
For what its worth I didn't go the "cheaper route". I went to get a copy of a key. If I had known I needed to go to the dealer in the first place then I wouldn't have gone the "cheaper" or in my experience the "regular way" of going to a hardware store to get a copy of a key made.

anyhow sounds like I'll be going to the dealership this month.

It's all good 707SE. None of us are experts on our cars.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 AM

707SE,
Hey Sweetie,

I made a copy at Lowe's also. The way I understood it, was that it was an anti-theft device. It allows you to get into the car, but because there is no chip in it, it will not complete the electrical connection, so fuel is not released.

I use mine more as a spare to get into the car in the off chance I lock my keys in (next to an impossibility anyway)!

Swee-(The MILF, Pucker up and kiss me......I'm waiting, just see sig)
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

nats system disables fuel pump when using a key without the chip. theres a tronsponder ring around the ignition cylinder that recieves a code from the key itself. in order for the key to be reporgrammed properly, all existing chipped keys need to be programmed or else a dtc will come up in nats with the code difference of keys. supposed to be .5hrs per key so youd figure around 47 bucks to reprogram for 1 key considering labor rate for nissan is usually 94 bucks.

btw, nats = nissan anti-theft system
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM

Transponder chip keys

My 2003 only came with one key and one remote.
Dealerships quoted $60 per new blank key, with $45 -$90 to program depending on dealership.
Bought two blank keys on Ebay for $30 at amazingkeys.com
Bought two remotes on Ebay for $30
Took my original key plus two new blanks to dealership. You must have ALL keys programmed at once, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL KEYs, or they will not work after the reprogramming. Had keys programmed for $45.
Only hitch was that they could NOT program my original Nissan key together with my two no-name brand keys, so i ended up with only two keys which will start the car plus one which will open but not start.
If you want 3 keys programmed they must all be of the same brand.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM

^maybe they didnt program them all properly. im pretty sure all the keys are the same. shouldnt matter whether its nissan or aftermarket. they all store the code and transmit it the same way
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by almoodie
Dealerships quoted $60 per new blank key, with $45 -$90 to program depending on dealership.
You got . I got 2 FOB's, and 3 keys.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Lemme get this straight, bottom line is that we need the dealership to program all the keys at once, in order for it to START the car? And the ones that are cut and not programmed will ONLY open the locks.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 PM

^precisely
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM

You got . I got 2 FOB's, and 3 keys.
yeah thats not right u should have got 2 personal keys with 2 FOB and one 'security' key that cant unock the glov box or the trunk of something like that and only starts the car
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM

Hmmm I have an '01 with the orignal nissan key & two aftermarket generic looking keys and all my stuff works together. Weird
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 AM

Bought two blank keys on Ebay for $30 at amazingkeys.com
Bought two remotes on Ebay for $30
Took my original key plus two new blanks to dealership. You must have ALL keys programmed at once, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL KEYs, or they will not work after the reprogramming. Had keys programmed for $45.
Only hitch was that they could NOT program my original Nissan key together with my two no-name brand keys, so i ended up with only two keys which will start the car plus one which will open but not start.
If you want 3 keys programmed they must all be of the same brand.
Did you buy your car brand new? If so, they scammed you.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 PM

It has to be reprogrammed ,just go to the dealer.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by imjd
It is actually the car's antitheft system that has to be programmed to recognize the key, not anything done to the key.

However, the take-home is the same, you need to go to a dealer. There is a way you can get the car to recognize a new key fob remote, if you have a key that is already registered, but it will not work for a new key.
(for reference: http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruct/remote.html )
nope.. there are options using diagnostic scan tools; you have an option to reprogram all your keys in sync with ECU, or just have one original and use "add a key" and program the single key to match an original
Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM

Hmmm. My car came with 3 keys and 2 fobs. All original Nissan.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:06 AM

here in Canada we call it... immobilizer, i'm not sure if that's how u spell it. but yeah...everything is in there to differentiate "real" and "fake"

u guys call it the same over there too?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

after reflashing ECM I get a no start! WTF!

I got my computer reflashed for stronger air/fuel ratios by J.E.T. over the weekend. Now I've got a no start problem. The security light maintains a steady on red light after I try to crank it. is it the ecm or do i need to take it to a dealer to get the key coded again after I reinstalled the updated E.C.M.?