5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Feeling Invincible in My Gen 5.5 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:00 AM

Feeling Invincible in My Gen 5.5 6-speed

My mechanically-stock Maxima has been feeling really strong lately. Don't know what it is, but I ain't compaining. Anyways, while out running errands yesterday in the insane shopping traffic, I found myself stuck behind this slowpoke on a side street, and I needed to get out to the main road.

Well then the slowpoke turned left and I could see the stoplight, maybe 300 yards ahead, and it was GREEN! Even my 3-year-old knows that 'green means go' and side street greens are few and far between so from 5 mph I floored it in 1st. OMG, with a slight "chirp" from both tires the entire car seemed to leap forward, and almost instantly it was time for the 1-2 upshift, whereupon the HLSD squawked both tires impressively, and another stage of longitudinal G-forces pushed me back against the seat!

I made it to the intersection just as the light was turning yellow, hit the brakes, and make my way through the intersection as if I'd been traveling the speed limit all along....hee-heeeee.......

I also 'picked on' a new E90 330iX on the way home after that who thought he owned the road. I saw him rocketing up behind me through traffic, and I knew a neck-down to one lane was coming up in a 1/2-mile and vowed he wasn't going to beat me to it. He didn't, heh heh.

Yeah, I know, this is all childish, but it's the first time I've had this much fun driving this Maxima. Maybe I'll keep it after all? The thought crossed my mind, believe me!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Succinct
My mechanically-stock Maxima has been feeling really strong lately. Don't know what it is, but I ain't compaining. Anyways, while out running errands yesterday in the insane shopping traffic, I found myself stuck behind this slowpoke on a side street, and I needed to get out to the main road.

Well then the slowpoke turned left and I could see the stoplight, maybe 300 yards ahead, and it was GREEN! Even my 3-year-old knows that 'green means go' and side street greens are few and far between so from 5 mph I floored it in 1st. OMG, with a slight "chirp" from both tires the entire car seemed to leap forward, and almost instantly it was time for the 1-2 upshift, whereupon the HLSD squawked both tires impressively, and another stage of longitudinal G-forces pushed me back against the seat!

I made it to the intersection just as the light was turning yellow, hit the brakes, and make my way through the intersection as if I'd been traveling the speed limit all along....hee-heeeee.......

I also 'picked on' a new E90 330iX on the way home after that who thought he owned the road. I saw him rocketing up behind me through traffic, and I knew a neck-down to one lane was coming up in a 1/2-mile and vowed he wasn't going to beat me to it. He didn't, heh heh.

Yeah, I know, this is all childish, but it's the first time I've had this much fun driving this Maxima. Maybe I'll keep it after all? The thought crossed my mind, believe me!
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's called middle age crisis (second adolescence) I'm 45 and I just bought an '02 with manual tranny after owning only automatic cars for many years due to the speed limiter (ex-wife) not being able to learn how to shift gears. But now that I'm all by myself, I can burn rubber at every traffic light.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by realtor
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's called middle age crisis (second adolescence) I'm 45 and I just bought an '02 with manual tranny after owning only automatic cars for many years due to the speed limiter (ex-wife) not being able to learn how to shift gears. But now that I'm all by myself, I can burn rubber at every traffic light.
Enjoy, man! Just as you also have a Gen5.5 6-speed, I too have an ex-wife (and child support payments - only 3-1/2 more years to go!). Fortunately for me, I found my current wife, to whom I've been married nearly 13 years!

I knew she was "the one" for me when she helped me change a timing belt, and readily took up driving stick. After we were married, she assisted me with rebuilding the brake calipers on my erstwhile '72 Corvette convertible, and in replacing the valve seals on the same car. I really cannot do much without her help. She constantly amazes me.

But back to the Maxima, I had made up my mind to sell it a week or two ago, and now it's performing like it frickin' KNOWS! My BMW 540 (replaced by my Maxima in September) was my near "invincible" car, but I think the Maxima is even more so b/c it's a little more stealthy - Joe Average Ricer is unaware of the performance of this thing, which is just a tick or two slower than my 540 in 0 to 60 (6.0 secs for the Maxima, 5.5 to 5.8 secs for the 540 6-speed, depending which test report you read).

Now if only its turning radius was equal to my wife's Odyssey's...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 AM

Well, as long as the "old men" are chiming-in.....I'll add my 2c!!

The cold dry air ALWAYS tends to act like a TURBO BOOST for my car. Call me crazy, but I can feel it every year. It's the only thing I look forward to in the winter!

My then 6 year-old step daughter used to BEG me to accelerate through third gear.....she literally squealed with delight. What was I gonna do??.... I HAD to appease her!

I've had this car 4.5 years, and I still get a smile on my face when I drive it -- even in traffic.
I used to playfully race my buddy in his 540i....and he would get pissed that I could keep-up with him up to about 60-70mph. After that, that big v-8 would simply walk-away from me. It was still satifying.

gr
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know what you guys mean. I use to love the cold season in boston and the way my 6 speed seem to gain another 30-40 hp. Now I am here in Northern florida I don't get many of those cold days. The 6 speed is still a beast but man I miss Boston......
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 AM

This is so true even on my 01 auto... second gear just takes the car to redline effortlessly... but then i come home and get the 330 out and revving that motor into 3 digit zone is different delight any day!! After driving both, for a stock motor, the way the BMW maintains its pull in just about any gear is just amazing... the joy of the inline six!!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM

Yep, I figured it was the cold, more dense air that had a lot to do with it!

What a happy thread this is!!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Enjoy, man! Just as you also have a Gen5.5 6-speed, I too have an ex-wife (and child support payments - only 3-1/2 more years to go!). Fortunately for me, I found my current wife, to whom I've been married nearly 13 years!

I knew she was "the one" for me when she helped me change a timing belt, and readily took up driving stick. After we were married, she assisted me with rebuilding the brake calipers on my erstwhile '72 Corvette convertible, and in replacing the valve seals on the same car. I really cannot do much without her help. She constantly amazes me.

But back to the Maxima, I had made up my mind to sell it a week or two ago, and now it's performing like it frickin' KNOWS! My BMW 540 (replaced by my Maxima in September) was my near "invincible" car, but I think the Maxima is even more so b/c it's a little more stealthy - Joe Average Ricer is unaware of the performance of this thing, which is just a tick or two slower than my 540 in 0 to 60 (6.0 secs for the Maxima, 5.5 to 5.8 secs for the 540 6-speed, depending which test report you read).

OMG you actually have a wife that knows how to turn a wrench!? My ex-wife doesn't even know what a screwdriver looks like. Everytime I try to get her involve in maintenance for the Max. she would walk away. Does your current wife have a single sister with the same qualities? Let me know.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM

all u guys being happy leads to my depression,.. 4At ..... who wants to trade
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah whats with the turning radius? Holy 3 point turn every time...

I love the power in the maxima, I always have enough power to pass and girls and everyone else love the car, anytime a drive a 5 speed car (ie. 325xi), I always want to be back in the max
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM

I still regret getting the Auto on my '03. Drove stick for 25 years, and got tired of it, but what a waste a Max is with an auto.

Best turning radius on any car I've owned - '93 volvo 240.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM

I had an auto in my '98 SE.....hated it as well. I swore never again.

What a bonus it was that the 5th gens had 6 spd~!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM

yep...I feel confident in my max too! I love the power