5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Da Foggies, Da Foggies need replacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Da Foggies, Da Foggies need replacing

Have a 2000 SE with one blown bulb. Will replace both tomorrow. I thought of just getting stock basic bulbs. But now, thinking of maybe getting something brighter. I do NOT want any blue lights, or any HID type tinge of blue.

I just want clean bright light. Something that sort of matches my main head lights. What about the Sylvania Silver Stars. About $40 for the pair. Would they be any brighter than the stock fog lights? What about range and life? Any better than the OEM bulbs?

Please let me know as I want to buy a set before go to work in the am. Also, what voltage is are the fog lams? 55w, I think?

Thanks Guys!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

I have the silverstars, they have a nice white light.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 AM

But would they match my headlights?

Mine have a yellowish tint to them. Whatever it is, I hope the SilverStars don't have a blue-ish hue tint to the light? That would look kinda odd if my headlights are a little yellow.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Cletus

the silverstars are a pure white (no blue)
i would spend a little more and get silverstar bulbs for the headlights too so everything matches.
i loved them when i had my 00
Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 AM
Don't you know who I am?

The silverstars would be noticeably whiter than your headlights. You could buy silverstars for your headlights too . And no, there isn't a blue hue to the silverstars.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
the silverstars are a pure white (no blue)
i would spend a little more and get silverstar bulbs for the headlights too so everything matches.
i loved them when i had my 00
How much would a pair of SilverStar headlights run me? Is it easy to insert the bulbs myself? If so, I might just do that on my own instead of letting the shop do it, like they will for the fogs.

Would new SilverStar headlights and fogs tax my electrical system/battery?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by zoutv
How much would a pair of SilverStar headlights run me? Is it easy to insert the bulbs myself? If so, I might just do that on my own instead of letting the shop do it, like they will for the fogs.

Would new SilverStar headlights and fogs tax my electrical system/battery?
1. a pair of headlight bulbs should be around $50
2. why would you EVER pay someone to do the fog lights? its an easy job to do yourself
3. the bulbs dont use any more power than the stock bulbs
Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
1. a pair of headlight bulbs should be around $50
2. why would you EVER pay someone to do the fog lights? its an easy job to do yourself
3. the bulbs dont use any more power than the stock bulbs
I heard I would need to remove the bumper to get the fog light canisters out.

And I'm getting other service today, so thought I'd just have them put all the lights in for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Cletus

I heard I would need to remove the bumper to get the fog light canisters out.

And I'm getting other service today, so thought I'd just have them put all the lights in for me.
you dont do anything with the bumper.
you remove the plastic splash guards under the fog lights and replace the bulb from the back of the housing.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:27 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

easy enough job - like sooner said, there's a plastic guard that you'll have to unscrew, but that's about it. Get a quote before they chang them out - if they'll do it for pittance, why not, but don't let yourself get hosed for a job like this.

As others have mentioned, the silverstars will be whiter than the stock headlights - for the best look you'll want to replace everything.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
easy enough job - like sooner said, there's a plastic guard that you'll have to unscrew, but that's about it. Get a quote before they chang them out - if they'll do it for pittance, why not, but don't let yourself get hosed for a job like this.

As others have mentioned, the silverstars will be whiter than the stock headlights - for the best look you'll want to replace everything.
I went to AutoZone and bought Sylvania Silverstars for everything. The dual headlight kit for $38 and the H3ST Fog light bulbs for $20 each.

Since I bought them, I don’t think the repair shop is going to try and ream me for just removal/replace of the stock bulbs?

When I dropped off my car, the guy said that they might be 10% brighter than stock. But honestly, I’m tired of the yellow tinge lights. I don’t want completely blue lights, even though the guys said there is a tinge of blue.

As for the ‘yellow’ light in the headlights, I know a good deal of this is probably due to the film built-up on the outside headlight unit. I know I can get some Maguire’s Plastic polish, and remove most (if not all of it) with some good elbow grease.

I always felt the stock headlights were a bit weak in terms of output, we shall soon see.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM

i still dont understand why you would pay someone at a shop to replace the bulbs in your headlights and fogs
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Nissanx54
i still dont understand why you would pay someone at a shop to replace the bulbs in your headlights and fogs
Some people just aren't mechanically inclined, they would rather have the peace of mind of having it done by someone who has done it before. While I can tear my foglights out in under 60 seconds, there are some people who don't even own a ratchet . Maybe he doesn't want something to go wrong by doing it himself, for example, if he doesn't know not to touch the bulbs with his skin, he might fondle the bulbs up and down while removing the bolts and then when the lights die in a month, he'll wonder why. It's a peace of mind kind of thing is my guess, especially considering any kind of mechanic could do the swap in 5 minutes or less, it wouldn't really cost much, especially if he is having other work done. Would be my guess.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is a stupid story for you... I was very mechanically unclined (if that is a word). I once bought some bulbs and had a mechanic install them. Mind you, regular headlight bulbs. I go to give him a quick 5, he wants 10. He says 5 a piece for something that took two seconds. NEVER AGAIN. I still suck at some things., but will always try before I pay someone to do it.

Although if at my regular mechanic doing some sort of service and need to do it, he does not charge for it so he just changes whatever. But otherwise ME ME ME.

Foglights took me about 25 minutes to change out. Gotta throw that fear of messing up out the window... Get a service book and have at it.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rmd0311
NEVER AGAIN. I still suck at some things., but will always try before I pay someone to do it.

But otherwise ME ME ME.

Foglights took me about 25 minutes to change out. Gotta throw that fear of messing up out the window... Get a service book and have at it.

I totally agree, buy some tools and learn how for yourself. Just apply some common sense and if at all possible have one of your friends help you out. You will know when the job is above your skill level.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 PM

my foggies keep cracking on me..... going to be my 3rd pair of foggies....

silverstars are the shizz. almost all my friends have them on their cars.... besides the HID guys.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM

Got em.

They look great. A noticeable difference between stock yellows. The SilverStar throw a lot, a lot farther than the stock fogs.

BUT, question. Its been such a long time since I've used the foggs. Can't remember if this is normal, but the fogs will only come on when my main headlights are on. I cannot turn them on by themselves?? And if I have both fogs and main headlights on, and switch to high beams, the fogs turn off.

Is this normal?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
is invisible

yes, it's normal.
you can do the foglight rewire (some where in the FAQ's) and probably change some relay so that the hi-beams stay on with fogs(not sure on that one though).
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
my foggies keep cracking on me..... going to be my 3rd pair of foggies....

silverstars are the shizz. almost all my friends have them on their cars.... besides the HID guys.
i thought these things cracked cause of rocks, but while at the carwash i left my lights on and the cold water from the hose shattered the foglight glass. i guess it was the sudden change in temp, i guess its not tempered, or heat treated.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Banned

Got em.

They look great. A noticeable difference between stock yellows. The SilverStar throw a lot, a lot farther than the stock fogs.

BUT, question. Its been such a long time since I've used the foggs. Can't remember if this is normal, but the fogs will only come on when my main headlights are on. I cannot turn them on by themselves?? And if I have both fogs and main headlights on, and switch to high beams, the fogs turn off.

Is this normal?

Method 1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076435/4

Method 2

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/fog_rewire.html

This one is probably the method that most people use here....i still have yet to get around to doing mine...