5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Max: LCD Screen in Tach

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 05:33 AM

I know someone mentioned it a few weeks back - in the pics we've seen of the dash in the 2k2 Max, what's the second LCD screen in the tach?

Well, I'm sure many of you have seen it, but thought I'd bring it to your attention if not. In the July 9th Autoweek, featuring the 2k2 Max on the cover, a close study of the interior pics of the new Max reveal what appears to be the outside temperature in the LCD screen in the tach. It looks like the AMBient temperature button on the climate control has been removed.

Now, whether you can get more information out of that screen? Good question. Guess we'll have to wait for the end of the summer for the test drives!
Old 07-10-2001, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by Pat DiPersia
I know someone mentioned it a few weeks back - in the pics we've seen of the dash in the 2k2 Max, what's the second LCD screen in the tach?

Well, I'm sure many of you have seen it, but thought I'd bring it to your attention if not. In the July 9th Autoweek, featuring the 2k2 Max on the cover, a close study of the interior pics of the new Max reveal what appears to be the outside temperature in the LCD screen in the tach. It looks like the AMBient temperature button on the climate control has been removed.

Now, whether you can get more information out of that screen? Good question. Guess we'll have to wait for the end of the summer for the test drives!
That should be the Trip Computer readout. If you've driven the new 2001.5 Passat, it has a similar device. Very cool - what with "time til empty", MPG, etc.

jack
Old 07-10-2001, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by jsmith24

That should be the Trip Computer readout. If you've driven the new 2001.5 Passat, it has a similar device. Very cool - what with "time til empty", MPG, etc.

jack
wouldn't that need a bigger screen to show that...????
Old 07-10-2001, 06:59 AM

Not necessarily...

The Passat (which was my first choice before the Max...well, at first anyway), had a steering-wheel-mounted switch so that you could cycle through all the different functions. Granted, the one in the Passat was a little larger, but it used LEDs for the readout instead of an LCD.

jack
Old 07-10-2001, 01:05 PM

If that is a trip computer Nissan is going back to the old days. I remember some of the 2nd gen (GXE's). had trip computers, when the second gen was loaded they meant loaded!When the third gen came around they really took alot out of the car to me.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:59 PM

GM ( and even Chrysler ) cars have the computerized Driver Information Center ( DIC !! ) -- shows all sorts of cool statistics - like Instantaneous MPG, Avg MPG, Dist to Empty etc.
Also I think it has the compass and ambient temp. readout.

Its kinda cool actually - keeps u busy on boring long highway drives ( with no one to race !! ).

I wish I had one of those on my max .... well
Old 07-10-2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by max2k1SE
GM ( and even Chrysler ) cars have the computerized Driver Information Center ( DIC !! ) -- shows all sorts of cool statistics - like Instantaneous MPG, Avg MPG, Dist to Empty etc.

Its kinda cool actually - keeps u busy on boring long highway drives ( with no one to race !! ).

A buddie of mines Excursion has it too.
Old 07-10-2001, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by max2k1SE

Yes, but all those cars suck! Trust me, my mom's 2k grand prix gt has one and the car still is horrible, it can't evn compare in quality to the maxima. Personally, I like that Nissan focuses on doing the important things well and doesn't add extraneous fluff like that to crappy cars to make it seem better...
Old 07-11-2001, 03:05 AM

It is a trip computer because the button is on the radio control switch on the steering wheel.What i can't believe is the 2k2 has a HEATED steering wheel.i can already see the comercial(sp?) "for those cold days you just want to be nice and toasty, the maxima offers a heated steering wheel and heated seats package"....I WANT ONE!!!
My steering wheel-