5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another irritating paint story - Acid bird droppings

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 06:31 AM

OK, I get home and am dusting my car with the California duster and on the right side passenger door, just below the bottom of the window is a huge bird hit. We have crows and seagulls here in the Seattle area.
So I think no biggy, usually when attacked fast it comes off fairly easily. Wrong. The sun had baked this load to a consistancy of plaster and was very tough just to get off.
Once off I noticed a stain or discoloration left behind in the clear coat. OK, so now I try 3 applications of a fine swirll remover/polish and then re-wax and I can still see the remnants of the bird crap.
So, is this another example of "fine paint" from Nissan or
some mutant bird loose in our region eating car battery remains?
Oh yea, the car is a 2K, grey lustre SE which had wax on prior to the strike. Funny story to read, irritating to deal with ).
Old 08-09-2001, 07:37 AM

We used to live near Seattle (Edmonds, near Puget Sound). Seattles cool, probably better than LA.

Anyway that sucks, I remember reading in the 2000 Maxima brochure that they blasted the paint with diamonds or something...and now we have this BS (we've been spared from problems for the most part). Once I read about all the paint problems from this forum we went out and bought a car cover...so far no mutant birds have gotten to our car yet

Does the area seem to have lost its shine..like its a matte color now? We had that problem with our old Mercury..don't know what it was but it left the paint a matte finish at one spot and slightly discolored.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Ludacris
We used to live near Seattle (Edmonds, near Puget Sound). Seattles cool, probably better than LA.

Anyway that sucks, I remember reading in the 2000 Maxima brochure that they blasted the paint with diamonds or something...and now we have this BS (we've been spared from problems for the most part). Once I read about all the paint problems from this forum we went out and bought a car cover...so far no mutant birds have gotten to our car yet

Does the area seem to have lost its shine..like its a matte color now? We had that problem with our old Mercury..don't know what it was but it left the paint a matte finish at one spot and slightly discolored.
No, it is still shiney, it's just that I can see an outline or shadow of the hit. I think in a while I'll try the body clay, this stuff is great and removes everything.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by mike-777
So, is this another example of "fine paint" from Nissan or some mutant bird loose in our region eating car battery remains?
Story 1:
I had a bird relieve itself on my old '88 GM. I too, didn't notice it, and it dried.

I swear, it took off the clearcoat and paint, all the way to the primer.

I wear a hat these days.

Story 2:
On the third day of a road trip, I was in Ft. Collins, CO, at a hotel, came out the next day, and found I had parked under a tree that happened to be used by a flock of birds the previous night.

There wasn't a 3sq inch area of my car that didn't have bird turd on it. Not the insubstantial watery kind, but the chunky, industrial strength kind.

I spent the first 45 minutes of my day at a car wash. Wish I had the presence of mind to take pictures, but I was pretty much grossed out. And it takes a *lot* to gross me out. That episode didn't hurt my paint though.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:22 PM

Maybe it's a grey luster thing, have the same problem with my 2k1 grey luster and bird bombs, they seem to discolor the finish. Let us know how the clay bar works out.
Hey KaxMax, better watch out for those flying rats over there in Burnam Harbor.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:42 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Actually...

birds havent harshed my paint yet, it was f'd up before it left the factory... that aside.. I had a '95 honda and I had a day old bird 'puddle' take the paint to the primer. I also had bug guts take a quarter size paint fleck off the bumper. So, while yes, our paint is crap, other cars cant handle bird crap either.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:24 AM

Re: Actually...

I think the trade off for Japanese reliability, refinement and build quality is Japanese paint.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by g dogg
Hey KaxMax, better watch out for those flying rats over there in Burnam Harbor.
Worse than the flying rats are these birds that live in a tree I park under at work.

You *always* know when the red and purple berries in the area are ripe...
Old 08-10-2001, 06:43 AM

Well as I was detailing the car last night I found even more of the same bird crap, this time behind the right rear tire on the lower rocker. Apparently the bird had hit the ground just behind my tire and then the car. As I backed out, my tire picked it up and threw it on the lower rocker panel. After 2 days it was like cement.
So now armed with lessons learned, I got some hot soapy water and a soft brush and just took my time. 7 or 8 brushings and it was gone. Dryed it and put on fresh Diamond Brite and no damage.
Also the door remnants seem to have faded, again after applying Diamond Brite, which is my favorite paint sealant/protectant.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:12 AM

Just a comment...

Originally posted by mike-777
OK, I get home and am dusting my car with the California duster and on the right side passenger door, just below the bottom of the window is a huge bird hit. We have crows and seagulls here in the Seattle area.
So I think no biggy, usually when attacked fast it comes off fairly easily. Wrong. The sun had baked this load to a consistancy of plaster and was very tough just to get off.
Once off I noticed a stain or discoloration left behind in the clear coat. OK, so now I try 3 applications of a fine swirll remover/polish and then re-wax and I can still see the remnants of the bird crap.
So, is this another example of "fine paint" from Nissan or
some mutant bird loose in our region eating car battery remains?
Oh yea, the car is a 2K, grey lustre SE which had wax on prior to the strike. Funny story to read, irritating to deal with ).

I don't notice the damage on my car from bird hits but I keep a bottle of quick detail and a towel in my car. It could be because I have a lighter color car than yours. So as soon as I see something, I make sure I get that sh** off. I've been late on a couple of hits but damage is not too bad. Diamond Brite huh? Must look into that.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:10 AM

nissan paint.. what can i say. i have around 11k on my max, and my parents Honda Odyssey has around 14k, and guess what.. i have only seen 2 chips the thickness of a toothpick, and the bird droppings dont seem to really effect the Odyssey. and heres my maxima... the hood looks kinda crappy now because I use to park my car under my front Oak tree, and thats changed now.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:15 AM

Well that sux.. I plan on moving to the Everett area and have mutant birds to look forward too..
Old 08-10-2001, 10:56 AM

Me too

Black Car - bird crap on the hood - left on for 1 hour in the hot sun. No more clearcoat and I have a huge spot that is visible from everywhere - it greatly depresses me. I feel your pain.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:28 AM

clay bar wont remove bird doo etchings.....

the clay bar wont remove the etching..... it only removes top contaminants. for my car, i use the find hand polish form griots garage (www.griotsgarage.com) and it took bird etchings and scuff marks (dontknow where they came from) off.

oh, also, griots garage says when you use the find hand polish, you are supposed to rub one way, then perpendicular the other way....

dfwmax
Old 08-10-2001, 11:43 AM
MaxtOutGXE

I have the same dam problem with my car, whats the name of stuff from Griots Garage that helped fix the problem?

Justin

Old 08-10-2001, 12:04 PM

the one i got is called "Fine Hand Polish" -- they have different grades of abrasiveness depending on whether you are doing it by hand or by machine.. the abrasive in their polish is supposed to "break down" into smaller bits.

fyi, i also use their "Best of Show Wax", and i really like the microfiber wax towels (use to remove wax). and i got my clay bar from them.... they say that some clay bars are abrasive (?? didnt know the plastic clay could be abrasive).
the speed shine is what i use between waxings.

i was a little wary about using their stuff, and some of their stuff is a little pricey, but now i'm sold on their car care products.... (if you couldnt tell)

dfwmax
Old 08-10-2001, 12:05 PM
MaxtOutGXE

I have the same dam problem with my car, whats the name of stuff from Griots Garage that helped fix the problem?

Justin